ADVERTISEMENT

Maiden at Ashe Co

Burkeforreal

Aug 21, 2006
Can't believe nobody has posted on this or about this. I know Ashe is powerful at the pass and has more athletes than usual but really hasn't played anybody other than Starmount of which beat them and played Watauga barely winning and Watauga was faced with injuries.

Should be a real close game and down to the wire cause Maiden can hang but they are alittle more down than most years.

I look for a close Ashe win by 3 or 7. Thoughts??

I believe that Maiden has a very good chance of knocking Ashe off in the first round. It will all depend on how our defense plays. As long as we tackle well (which we haven't all year really) and get pressure on the QB and force a few punts then we can pull away with this one. I see Maiden winning by a touchdown.

Fun fact about Ashe Co: The last three seasons they have lost in the first round to current SD-7 teams.

2011 - Lost at Bandys
2012 - Lost at Newton
2013 - Lost to Bunker Hill

I'm not entirely the superstitious type but this may play into Maiden's favor. Any team that comes out of the SD-7 conference into the playoffs is battle hardened regardless of the record.

I'll be at the game tomorrow night so I'll post updates here...Go Big Blue!!

Originally posted by GrizzlyDevil:
I believe that Maiden has a very good chance of knocking Ashe off in the first round. It will all depend on how our defense plays. As long as we tackle well (which we haven't all year really) and get pressure on the QB and force a few punts then we can pull away with this one. I see Maiden winning by a touchdown.

Fun fact about Ashe Co: The last three seasons they have lost in the first round to current SD-7 teams.

2011 - Lost at Bandys
2012 - Lost at Newton
2013 - Lost to Bunker Hill

I'm not entirely the superstitious type but this may play into Maiden's favor. Any team that comes out of the SD-7 conference into the playoffs is battle hardened regardless of the record.

I'll be at the game tomorrow night so I'll post updates here...Go Big Blue!!
I agree with this assessment. I think that we have more speed and that could be a factor if we can get past the line of scrimmage. Really, this game will be determined on whether Maiden can get a few defensive stops and not turn the ball over.

Well also can Maiden play in the butt cold??? And tomm it will be BUTT COOOLLD!!! I love it though, the Green Bay winter game experience LOL. History does play a factor and yes Ashe has gone down to Catawba co teams first round but this seems to be a better year for them and they were taking it to Hibriten hard in that canceled game. Came out the gates strong but Hibriten got that run game going and Ashe got lax on that. Hibriten also came into that game injury free. Not so sure how it would turn out now if they played right now.

Will be a good game none the less. I wouldn't write Ashe off but that run defense is a bit down and of course they really hadn't played anybody all year like I said. Watauga yes and won yes but Watauga was hurt that game too and Ashe musta caught a few lucky breaks in a 3 point thriller.

Its a new game and a new day but considering Maiden lost to West Caldwell(I was at that game actually, shouldn't have lost) the odds will be against Maiden on paper. I'll be there at this one ya'll come find me. I'll be with a guy that always has an App hat on and will be sitting on Ashe side. I dont know what i'll be wearing, just a bunch of clothes lol
This post was edited on 11/13 12:05 PM by Burkeforreal

Maiden has speed all over the field and can score quickly. The sophomore QB, Farley, has jets strapped to his feet. I take it that Ashe is a primarily pass oriented offense and I'm really not sure just how effective Maiden's secondary is because my Wolves rarely pass. We never really tested their corners. I do know that Farley's speed is something most teams can't match. I think this one comes down to which team simply wants it more.

"I'll be at the game tomorrow night so I'll post updates here...Go Big Blue!!".
Excerpt from a post by GrizzlyDevil

Better take your coat, gloves and scarf and hat...I included a link from The Weather Channel website for tomorrow's forecast , there.
happy.r191677.gif

TWC:West Jefferson

Burkeforreal -
Yes Maiden can play in the cold!! C'mon man...the run game will be golden in cold weather. The question is will Ashe receivers be ready to catch a frozen rock from a great quarterback with frozen fingers?

Lincolnton -
Thanks for the heads up...I know it will be cold cold up there. I've been in plenty of cold weather games, both as a player and fan for Maiden. The coldest? My freshman year I was lucky enough to be moved up to varsity...we made the trip to East Surry to play the Cardinals...It was well below freezing and our locker room had the air conditioning units running. They thought the could freeze Maiden out...we drove away after the game with a 31-6 victory.

Well they live up there they should be used to that mess lol. They'll have gloves on too. To hang with Ashe the way they are set up, u better have a secondary that's for sure.

GrizzlyDevil, braving cold weather might even be a Maiden mindset. I read a sports article in the Whiteville News Reporter, that's the name of their newspaper. The article was about when undefeated Tabor City High School played Maiden for the state title in 1978. I recall the writer talking about how cold it was in Maiden and Coach Tom Brown walking the Maiden sidelines in shorts.

I remember that night distinctly and it was noticeably cold. The job I had then required some outside work. I had a small radio and could get an occasional skip from WNNC Newton who was carrying the game. I don't see the cold slowing down the Blue Devils but it could make things uncomfortable for fans. Good Luck.

Originally posted by Lincolnton:
GrizzlyDevil, braving cold weather might even be a Maiden mindset. I read a sports article in the Whiteville News Reporter, that's the name of their newspaper. The article was about when undefeated Tabor City High School played Maiden for the state title in 1978. I recall the writer talking about how cold it was in Maiden and Coach Tom Brown walking the Maiden sidelines in shorts.

I remember that night distinctly and it was noticeably cold. The job I had then required some outside work. I had a small radio and could get an occasional skip from WNNC Newton who was carrying the game. I don't see the cold slowing down the Blue Devils but it could make things uncomfortable for fans. Good Luck.
The report now states a wind chill of 8 at game time tomorrow evening. That is going to be cold on that mountaintop.

This post was edited on 11/13 9:37 PM by CHEERDUCK

Beautiful place up in Ashe County but with the wind that cuts across those mountains I during winter I would not want to be a flat lander in a football jersey.

If you are a fan of football you will enjoy watching Ashe Co. QB Connor Bowers play. The best pocket passer in the state. Good Luck to both teams and safe travel up into the Mountains.

Bowers is an awesome players but that is just not true. Easter from Reagan is better and put up ridiculous numbers against much better competition. No knock on Bowers.

Good luck to both teams. I'll take Ashe by 10.

This post was edited on 11/14 9:16 AM by Illuminati704

Originally posted by MountainRunner1:
you will enjoy watching Ashe Co. QB Connor Bowers play. The best pocket passer in the state
LOL, no.... Bowers is not the best pocket passer in the state, he's not even the best pocket passer in 2A.

He's definitely NOT ahead as passer over Austin Kendall at Cuthbertson, Chazz Surratt at East Lincoln, Anthony Ratliff at Butler, Reid Herring at Millbrook, Jake Easter at Reagan, Travis Sabdo at Havelock. I'm sure there is more but those are for certain.

This post was edited on 11/14 10:58 AM by trendkill99

Originally posted by Godevilsgo:
Beautiful place up in Ashe County but with the wind that cuts across those mountains I during winter I would not want to be a flat lander in a football jersey.
It's not Ashe County, but the webcam shows snow flurries and 22 as the temperature currently in the High Country.

Blowing Rock webcam

After I watched Farley and copmany run past a good team defensviely in Lincolnton. I don't think the huskies can keep up with the speed maiden has. Weather may play a factor and the turnover bug bites the blue devils. Ashe 28 Maiden 24

MaidenUSA go to the link and on the page click on LISTEN LIVE which is in big letters on the far right side.

Prob one of the coldest games in the state. I wasn't there but was planning on it. Should have went anyway instead of watching South Caldwell do an impression of App State playing Ohio State lol. I know Ashe won a super close one, what's the take on this game an how it went????

Ashe 34-27 over Maiden final. Drop pass in end zone by Maiden to end game with no time.

That is a good win for Ashe. They have a solid team this season but I thought Maiden would have the speed and athletes to go up there and beat the Huskies. So this surprises me a bit.

Normally this matchup would be a beatdown. Maiden always has the athletes an pretty much always will. This has been a down year for Maiden an a super up year for Ashe. Will Ashe be a .500 or below season team again?? Yes an prob 2 years from now an on. Will Maiden be way above .500 an noise maker in the playoffs again?? Of course. This is one of those enjoy it now cause it may never happen again moments for Ashe. I hope I'm wrong but that's just the way it is. Sorta a Cinderella season for Ashe per say. Hope I'm wrong bout that too.

Next game in Jefferson is not looking too sweet. I don't know as of this moment if they are playing Monroe but Monroe is a much higher calibure team than Maiden. At least this year anyway

Normally this matchup would be a
beatdown. Maiden always has the athletes an pretty much always will.
This has been a down year for Maiden an a super up year for Ashe. Will
Ashe be a .500 or below season team again?? Yes an prob 2 years from now
an on. Will Maiden be way above .500 an noise maker in the playoffs
again?? Of course. This is one of those enjoy it now cause it may never
happen again moments for Ashe. I hope I'm wrong but that's just the way
it is. Sorta a Cinderella season for Ashe per say. Hope I'm wrong bout
that too.

Next game in Jefferson is not looking too sweet. I
don't know as of this moment if they are playing Monroe but Monroe is a
much higher calibure team than Maiden. At least this year anyway

Burke, that is the question for Ashe. Maiden will always have success in football and be in the hunt. Now can Ashe do the same? Will they be back to struggling next year or the next? Big difference in having a good season year after year and having a special season every 5-7 years. Ashe needs to take the next step and do what they did this season most every year.

I feel like Ashe will, they have the right man running the show in Coach Brian Hampton. He is one of the highest paid coaches in the state and the community supports him so I think he will continue building on this year.

Great win for Ashe, weather was brutal. 1 yard shy of 300 for Bowers tonight with 4 TDs and no turnovers. Great year continues for a great QB.

It will be a long time before Ashe ever finishes below .500 again, IMO. Middle School team played in the league championship game a couple weeks ago. Leading rusher is a sophomore, second and third leading receivers are both underclassmen, leading tackler this year is a sophomore. Losing Bowers at QB and Blevins on the outside will hurt, two strong linebackers in Lucas and Baker and a couple of big boys in the middle of that d-line, but for the most part, a lot of talent will return next year too.

No, Ashe may never win a state title, it is what it is, we're not blessed with loads of speed and athletes every season but we have a tremendous head coach and now lots of kids that actually want to play football. This team will be well-coached and well-disciplined every year and will no doubt compete for conference titles more times than not.

Eric Staal, in a place like Ashe where you only have the 1 high school a lot of comes down to stability, community support and the feeder schools having solid programs. If your current head coach stays in place, the kids that can play football show up, work hard and buy into his system then there is no reason Ashe cannot win at least 7-8 games a season and be in the playoffs. Losing that QB you all have this season is going to be a blow. So adjustments will need to be made and I am guessing the Huskies won't be able to throw as much next season. Being well coached and playing with discipline and executing can be an equalizer against a team that has more athletes but makes mistakes and is sloppy. Like you said, Ashe is never going to win a state title in all likelihood. They just don't have the pure speed and athletes up there to do that. But they can and should still have a solid and successful program that wins every season.

Ashe..dont let Maiden bash you..They need to take their loss and go home and worry about the last time theyve really did anything significant..last time i saw them a few yrs ago..they were getting beat up by starmount..so ashe..you won...to the winners go the spoils..Maiden is not the Maiden of the 90s anymore..

Law24,

There has not been one Maiden fan say anything negative about Ashe. The comments made have come from fans of other schools. Very few of the posts have come from Maiden fans. So educate yourself before you post next time. And you don't need to worry about us. We had a down year. It happens but we'll be back next year.

Just for the record Law24 I am a Red Devil and no one bashed Ashe County. But as you see it came to the last play with a low seed that played a tough schedule. Good luck to Ashe.

I agree with Eric Staal. Ashe could not match Maiden's team speed, but I made the comment several times during the game that they seemed to be a well-coached, disciplined team. It reminded me a lot of our 28-7 loss to South Caldwell earlier in the year - pretty much the same situation and the same result. (Butch Carter at South Caldwell also does an excellent job of getting the most out of his talent level.) Ashe played disciplined defense, and did enough to limit Maiden's running game to get the win. Their pass blocking and tackling was also exceptional. They made a few mistakes on this "North Dakota weather" night, but not as many as Maiden made. Clearly, the more disciplined and fundamentally sound team won this game.

Let's face it, it was just a bad year for the Blue Devils. It was our first losing season since 1995, and at 5-7 it was the first time we've finished more than one game below .500 since 1985. We ended the year giving up an average of almost 33 points per game. Unheard of.

I'm a bit confused by law24's comment. I don't see any disparaging remarks by anyone about either team. Sensitive much? LOL

Originally posted by Burkeforreal:
Normally this matchup would be a beatdown. Maiden always has the athletes an pretty much always will. This has been a down year for Maiden an a super up year for Ashe. Will Ashe be a .500 or below season team again?? Yes an prob 2 years from now an on. Will Maiden be way above .500 an noise maker in the playoffs again?? Of course. This is one of those enjoy it now cause it may never happen again moments for Ashe. I hope I'm wrong but that's just the way it is. Sorta a Cinderella season for Ashe per say. Hope I'm wrong bout that too.

Next game in Jefferson is not looking too sweet. I don't know as of this moment if they are playing Monroe but Monroe is a much higher calibure team than Maiden. At least this year anyway
Maidens problems are not with the team but the coaching.. If the school turns doesn't address the coaching problem they are going to have a slump in ticket sales next year.

Originally posted by Smokin'DeepBlue:
I agree with Eric Staal. Ashe could not match Maiden's team speed, but I made the comment several times during the game that they seemed to be a well-coached, disciplined team. It reminded me a lot of our 28-7 loss to South Caldwell earlier in the year - pretty much the same situation and the same result. (Butch Carter at South Caldwell also does an excellent job of getting the most out of his talent level.) Ashe played disciplined defense, and did enough to limit Maiden's running game to get the win. Their pass blocking and tackling was also exceptional. They made a few mistakes on this "North Dakota weather" night, but not as many as Maiden made. Clearly, the more disciplined and fundamentally sound team won this game.

Let's face it, it was just a bad year for the Blue Devils. It was our first losing season since 1995, and at 5-7 it was the first time we've finished more than one game below .500 since 1985. We ended the year giving up an average of almost 33 points per game. Unheard of.

I have heard the reason we were down this year was because we have a young team , and that's the reason why we had a bad record of 5-7 . I don't agree with this . Why didn't Tom have bad years like this when he had young players ? 29 years later we go below .500

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT