ADVERTISEMENT

MAC 2017

Are we talking about the same West and North.? I am trying to think of a single sport either school would be competitive in the MAC on a regular basis, OTHER than volleyball.

:rolleyes: What a moronic argument. There going to get dominated in everything except......... We're either going to compete or not, you don't get to select the parameters. West has a winning record over the MAC in the last 5 years in both football and baseball. Basketball has been a little rough but I guess that all depends on which timeline you are using to define your argument. 10 years ago West had one of the primer basketball programs in WNC. I said football may be rough for a few seasons but to sit here and act like West won't compete in other sports when they already have been, is straw man at best. There isn't one team out there that dominates the MAC. Enka has softball, Roberson baseball, Reynolds football, McDowell was good at basketball, so and so forth. If West comes in and competes in any one of the major sports, then it wasn't all for not. I suspect they'll be a perennial power in Volleyball.

As for "natural rivalries," Name one single "rival" that will fill your stadium or gym on either side on a yearly basis now? None? Right! You think Mac teams are somehow going to be an improvement? Hardly.

You do realize how stupid this sounds right? West could throw a rock and hit TC Roberson, jump and be at AC Reynolds, spit and hit Enka. All of which are more natural than Smoky Mountain and Franklin. Prior to the WNCAC and the WAC, we were in a conference with Avery, Mountain Heritage, Madison and Mitchell. Being in a Buncombe and Henderson county centered conference is the most natural we've had in nearly 15 years.

Last edited:
West used to be strong in baseball but seems to have fallen off. No matter as TCR and ACR will dominate there.

I think West athletics as a whole is coming around. Basketball brought home Joey Bryson from North Buncombe. He took NB to back to back MAC titles and might be the best coach they've ever had. He knows how to coach and what it takes to compete in the MAC, and how to turn it around quickly. Not only that but he's also the best player to ever suit up in Mills River so it's also personal. West will be fine there.

As for baseball program, we were one of the most consistent in all of WNC for the better part of 20 years. That fell off when Jim Hyatt left. They hired a young coach who dealt with a lot of off the field garb. He resigned this spring. Last month we hired former West standout and Jim Hyatt protege Wesley King from 4A Middle Creek HS in Raleigh. He led them to 4 straight conference titles. I feel great about that as well.

North is solid at wrestling.

Good baseball program as well.

Basketball was decent over the last couple of years but that was most likely a flash in the pan. They've never had any sort of sustained success in that department.

They've had some decent soccer teams as well.

:rolleyes: What a moronic argument. There going to get dominated in everything except......... We're either going to compete or not, you don't get to select the parameters. West has a winning record over the MAC in the last 5 years in both football and baseball. Basketball has been a little rough but I guess that all depends on which timeline you are using to define your argument. 10 years ago West had one of the primer basketball programs in WNC. I said football may be rough for a few seasons but to sit here and act like West won't compete in other sports when they already have been, is straw man at best. There isn't one team out there that dominates the MAC. Enka has softball, Roberson baseball, Reynolds football, McDowell was good at basketball, so and so forth. If West comes in and competes in any one of the major sports, then it wasn't all for not. I suspect they'll be a perennial power in Volleyball.

You do realize how stupid this sounds right? West could throw a rock and hit TC Roberson, jump and be at AC Reynolds, spit and hit Enka. All of which are more natural than Smoky Mountain and Franklin. Prior to the WNCAC and the WAC, we were in a conference with Avery, Mountain Heritage, Madison and Mitchell. Being in a Buncombe and Henderson county centered conference is the most natural we've had in nearly 15 years.
Good God MAN! I have seen homies and chest beaters in my time, but you sure take the cake! You say you are going to compete or not. How about not? If you cant beat Tuscola in the majority of the sports on anything like a regular basis, what makes you think you can field a competitive squad against ACR, Asheville, TCR, ERWIN, (people forget them but they are in the mix.) not to mention all the others year to year? You mention a timeline....We are speaking year in, year out, not just one or two years. An example: NANTAHALA fielded a great basketball team that could have competed anywhere in WNC on a level court.. FOR ONE YEAR in a lifetime. It doesnt mean they can compete in the MAC every year. Neither can North or West, that is, if you have any designs on avoiding a running clock, or being the beneficiary of a mercy rules every week. Now, lets get to your location makes all the difference argument....YES I DO realize either North or West is a hop skip and a jump from these MAC schools. What difference does THAT make? Answer...None at all. You are 10 miles and a lifetime away from these city schools. They dont know WH or NH exists, and couldnt find either place with a GPS. Nor do they care to. Be clear....SWAIN would bring more people than those schools COMBINED to one of your games provided they can get there through the traffic snarls on I26. Same goes for Smoky MT and or Franklin. If you dont like the travel, thats ONE thing and is a good point to make for shorter road trips, but to think your home games will benefit by better attendance in this conference is wishful thinking at best, no matter if they are so close that their sidewalk runs right up to yours. You have not been in the MAC...WE HAVE, and I know what I am talking about. Why you think Tuscola was so against going into this conference? It isnt all about wins and losses, you can believe that.

Tuscola may return more than you think. I've heard they have a great QB coming up from the JVs to run that triple option.

With an admittedly terrible grasp of the MAC, I'll put them at third.
Tuscola did take a huge hit to graduation, in the backfield as well as the line where they lost some key people. But they do have a dominant JV squad that was undefeated, (unchallenged, actually, I believe the closest game they played was a 27-19 victory at Brevard) and some good people returning that saw substantial playing time. I dont like to make predictions, but I figure a veteran HC like Pursley who has won titles in tough conferences down east, and a quality staff will keep them competitive for a while.

Good God MAN! I have seen homies and chest beaters in my time, but you sure take the cake! You say you are going to compete or not. How about not? If you cant beat Tuscola in the majority of the sports on anything like a regular basis, what makes you think you can field a competitive squad against ACR, Asheville, TCR, ERWIN, (people forget them but they are in the mix.) not to mention all the others year to year? You mention a timeline....We are speaking year in, year out, not just one or two years. An example: NANTAHALA fielded a great basketball team that could have competed anywhere in WNC on a level court.. FOR ONE YEAR in a lifetime. It doesnt mean they can compete in the MAC every year. Neither can North or West, that is, if you have any designs on avoiding a running clock, or being the beneficiary of a mercy rules every week. Now, lets get to your location makes all the difference argument....YES I DO realize either North or West is a hop skip and a jump from these MAC schools. What difference does THAT make? Answer...None at all. You are 10 miles and a lifetime away from these city schools. They dont know WH or NH exists, and couldnt find either place with a GPS. Nor do they care to. Be clear....SWAIN would bring more people than those schools COMBINED to one of your games provided they can get there through the traffic snarls on I26. Same goes for Smoky MT and or Franklin. If you dont like the travel, thats ONE thing and is a good point to make for shorter road trips, but to think your home games will benefit by better attendance in this conference is wishful thinking at best, no matter if they are so close that their sidewalk runs right up to yours. You have not been in the MAC...WE HAVE, and I know what I am talking about. Why you think Tuscola was so against going into this conference? It isnt all about wins and losses, you can believe that.

The last time you were in the MAC West was one of the premier baseball, basketball and volleyball programs in all of WNC. So you want to use your 'recent' knowledge of the MAC as basis to stand on a soapbox and preach to us but the same timeline can't be used to justify that West can compete? LOL.

Sound logic!

Your gate argument isn't even worth a response! You're asinine if you think Smoky Mountain or Franklin benefits West in terms of gate revenue across all sports, over say TC or Enka.

West will be just fine.

Last edited:
"West will be just fine." All I can say to that is "Blessed is He Who Expectheth Nothing, For He Shall Not Be Disappointed."

My goodness this board is the same old s***...I have really enjoyed posting on here for over ten years now but I have all but quit. Just read the garbage and negativity. The season has not even started yet and its all doom and gloom. Be happy for the kids and encourage them. You may not think it but some of them do read these boards. If the MAC is not the best conference in the mountains most seasons, who is? Some would say the SMC but winning a state title at the 1A is nowhere near as hard as the 3A and 4A level. The competition the MAC teams face is whole other level in the playoffs then what they see. So what other conference is it? The WNCAC has a few good teams like Pisgah and Franklin. The WHC has a few good teams as well like Heritage and Mitchell. That leaves Hendo who is a solid team every year. So which conference is better than the MAC? Honest question. That leaves the MAC teams. Asheville and Reynolds have had some very good teams the past ten years. Erwin has been really good some years and beat teams like South Point and Catholic on the road. Roberson had some quality teams. Tuscola has been good as well. I like for those 5 to be decent again with ACR being above the rest somewhat. I never count Asheville out because they always have talent coming up. They just competed against Erwin for the middle school title once again so its the same old same old.

You downgrade the MAC because the lower half is bad but that is how it is across the state. Usually a good conference has 1-3 good teams and the rest are average to bad. Take Crest, Catholic, Shelby, Weddington, etc out of their conferences and what do you have? It's the same every season.

Bottom line is just enjoy high school football for what it is. There are no dominant statewide teams in the MAC 95% of the time. We just don't have the demographics of teams like Shelby and Crest every season. We have had some great teams like the 99 ACR and 05 Asheville but those are rare. We have had so very good teams as well over the years. To be honest with you I will trade slightly less talented teams to live up here in God's country. Have you seen where these other teams are? Depressing. Enjoy the season fellas. You wont here much from me because this just gets old.

What a load of crap. Shelby and Crest are not Gods of football, they might have teams that win more consistently than a lot of other teams, but I know Crest in the late Kirby era was a little above average, if not average for about 4 years. Shelby played third best behind Burns for 2 or 3 years in Cleveland county. Talent comes and goes. Out side of Shelby, I'd pick ACR to beat Crest, Burns...maybe KM, that's a tough call for me right now. My point is as a Cleveland county resident...trying to figure out where my young son will play...the power shifts every few years no matter where you live.

What a load of crap. Shelby and Crest are not Gods of football, they might have teams that win more consistently than a lot of other teams, but I know Crest in the late Kirby era was a little above average, if not average for about 4 years. Shelby played third best behind Burns for 2 or 3 years in Cleveland county. Talent comes and goes. Out side of Shelby, I'd pick ACR to beat Crest, Burns...maybe KM, that's a tough call for me right now. My point is as a Cleveland county resident...trying to figure out where my young son will play...the power shifts every few years no matter where you live.

There is no denying Shelby is the best program in NC. Crest has been in the mix for a long time now as well. I could care less about those schools and their idiot fans, but you can not deny they are two of the best programs in the state. The numbers prove it. Some teams are just consistently good every season. My argument was that most conferences have 2-3 good teams and the rest are average at best. These guys were slamming the MAC when the conference is pretty much consistent with the rest in the state.

And then suddenly, out of nowhere, West is competing in the MAC.

Who knew?
Is that a fact? Lets just end the season and declare WH the winner then. If that is not possible, I will be content to let the season play out and then have this conversation. And THAT, you can count on.

Is that a fact? Lets just end the season and declare WH the winner then. If that is not possible, I will be content to let the season play out and then have this conversation. And THAT, you can count on.
You're not moving the goalpost on this conversation. Nobody is talking about winning anything. This was your exact quote and I'll make sure you live and die by it on this topic.

You say you are going to compete or not. How about not? If you cant beat Tuscola in the majority of the sports on anything like a regular basis, what makes you think you can field a competitive squad against ACR, Asheville, TCR, ERWIN, (people forget them but they are in the mix.) not to mention all the others year to year?

You're not moving the goalpost on this conversation. Nobody is talking about winning anything. This was your exact quote and I'll make sure you live and die by it on this topic.

Dude you beat Roberson. Big deal. Compete with all the MAC schools in all sports and get back. You still have Tuscola, Erwin, ACR, and Asheville to beat before you brag!

Dude you beat Roberson. Big deal. Compete with all the MAC schools in all sports and get back. You still have Tuscola, Erwin, ACR, and Asheville to beat before you brag!

Nobody said anything about beating and I'm not even bragging. The argument was that West Henderson would not even compete. I'm not beating my chest on anything but that. West Henderson is competing, it's as simple as that. As for the other fall sports, West is currently sitting first in Volleyball and the JV football team is undefeated. We'll do fine in MBB and baseball as well with 2 new coaches who have both won the MAC in multiple seasons in previous years. Sit back and watch.

I thought TC was first in volleyball? Didn’t they beat West twice already? Could be wrong. JV I don’t look much into. AHS never has good JVs, they best is on varsity. Some schools play they players down they freshman an sophomore years. Some don’t. We have Starting sophomore QB, 6 sophomores and 2 freshman already up

Last edited:
Yes it was 51-6 at half. Running clock whole second half. Final 51-14

Last edited:
Congrats to Erwin with very convincing win over West Henderson tonight.
This was a surprise.Not so much as who won but the margin.Erwin may be turning it around.Another one was the Enka, North Buncombe game.Thought North had a chance and never figured Enka could score that many points on anyone.

Why can't gobiggreen.net get the correct scores. I can find them on 2 or 3 different sites. Hurting the creditable of gobiggreen.net.

Why can't gobiggreen.net get the correct scores. I can find them on 2 or 3 different sites. Hurting the creditable of gobiggreen.net.
Not real worried about “creditable”, what website do you run, I’d love to see how perfect yours is, because clearly we aren’t cutting it. You see an error just email us at ekud2919@aol.com

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
“Hurting the creditable”....doesn’t even make sense! I agree about him, he’s blasted us before about our rankings, I’m used to him, besides this could be the last year for the website anyway.

[QUOTE="Reynoldsrocks2, post: 442237, member: besides this could be the last year for the website anyway.[/QUOTE]
I would hate to see you end it.Enjoy going back and looking at a lot of the games years ago .That I saw.

I thought I remembered this thread from a few years ago! Is WhoMule or whhs0906 still around?

WH competed in baseball last year, knocking the conference champ out in the 1st round of the playoffs. Football is looking good on all levels. Volleyball is premier. Basketball looks good as well.

Yes I am still around and what I said in 2017 regarding WHHS applies in 2019 as well, a what, 3 game win streak in one sport notwithstanding. Its relatively simple. Demographics works against teams like WH (and Tuscola, Pisgah ENKA and some others) You MAY have a team now and then that is competitive in a sport here and there. (To be fair th WHHS JV team a couple years ago was one of the better teams Ive seen in a while and it appears they were able to keep enough of them together to compete this year.) But overall when all is taken into account, WH is in the same boat as the schools mentioned above. Neither bad, nor good. It just IS.

Yes I am still around and what I said in 2017 regarding WHHS applies in 2019 as well, a what, 3 game win streak in one sport notwithstanding. Its relatively simple. Demographics works against teams like WH (and Tuscola, Pisgah ENKA and some others) You MAY have a team now and then that is competitive in a sport here and there. (To be fair th WHHS JV team a couple years ago was one of the better teams Ive seen in a while and it appears they were able to keep enough of them together to compete this year.) But overall when all is taken into account, WH is in the same boat as the schools mentioned above. Neither bad, nor good. It just IS.

How does demographics work against West when it's likely the fastest growing district in the WMAC? Just wondering?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT