ADVERTISEMENT

1A Ma has been great champions!!

Ma has been the team to beat for 2 years, and they have nothing to be ashamed of.
I have watched this team dominate for years, and I have nothing but respect for them. When I first seen them in person two years ago, I was like this team gets after it. Sawyers was just as amazing last night as she was two years ago. I know most people in the nw conference talk about sutphin, but she has got to be the 2nd best player. Her skill sets are amazing. But even in their 2 losses last season they were highly competitive in both games against west Forsyth. They have beaten the good western teams, and dominated state championship games. Even this year they have beat bishop twice, forbush, Surry central. And in 6 of their 7 losses they have had a chance to win. You could tell sawyers and ma was frustrated at end of game last night, but I get it. State championships are hard to win at any level, Avery has never been. And their big wins in last two final four games against the very best 1a teams, (Murphy and Avery 2017). I'm sure that town has great pride in watching these girls succeed. The seniors for ma did not want to see it end, and I can't blame them. But now and forever people will remember this ma team. I have nothing but respect for them!!

Reactions: AHVikingNation
Ma has been the team to beat for 2 years, and they have nothing to be ashamed of.
They had a great year considering they only had one returning starter Shaunae Sawyers and if I am correct they only return one starter next year because of at least 4 graduating this year. If they have a few Jrs, So. or upcoming JVs that steps up next year they can be right in the thick of things as always. Two more like Shaunae Sawyers and Jo Snow from the previous 2 years State Championship would really help them. Guess we have 10 months to see. Congratulations to The Lady Bears great 3-year run that come up short Saturday night. I may have missed a year but if I am right the NWC Girls have won the State Championship every year send 2006. Bishop Girls won 9 straight 2006 thru. 2014 then WSPrep Girls won 2015 & 2016 then Mount Airy Girls won 2017 & 2018. The NWC has owned it for 13-year. May need to fact check me but I am pretty sure that is correct. Also over a few of those years, one of the 3 teams knocked off at least one of the other 2 in the west regionals in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round.

Last edited:
They had a great year considering they only had one returning starter Shaunae Sawyers and if I am correct they only return one starter next year because of at least 4 graduating this year. If they have a few Jrs, So. or upcoming JVs that steps up next year they can be right in the thick of things as always. Two more like Shaunae Sawyers and Jo Snow from the previous 2 years State Championship thems. Guess we have 10 months to see. Congratulations to The Lady Bears great 3-year run that come up short Saturday night. I may have missed a year but if I am right the NWC Girls have won the State Championship every year send 2006. Bishop Girls won 9 straight 2006 thru. 2014 then WSPrep Girls won 2015 & 2016 then Mount Airy Girls won 2017 & 2018. The NWC has owned it for 13-year. May need to fact check me but I am pretty sure that is correct. Also over a few of those years, one of the 3 teams knocked off at least one of the other 2 in the west regionals in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round.
I hope East Surry can keep it in the NWC for the 14th year. Best of luck to the Cardinals ! ! Keep it in the NWC.............

Reactions: sbbbfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT