ADVERTISEMENT

MA All Decade team

HeartPump

Nov 2, 2011
TD-FridayNight I know you are a MA guy. Mount Airy News announced their MA all decade team that was picked by previous and present coaching staff for defense today. Just asking? How could Jackson Smith be left off of these selections. I remember him as a player that made huge impact for their team.

TD-FridayNight I know you are a MA guy. Mount Airy News announced their MA all decade team that was picked by previous and present coaching staff for defense today. Just asking? How could Jackson Smith be left off of these selections. I remember him as a player that made huge impact for their team.
I presume you meant Johnathon Smith .
Because he was in the Sunday paper on the :
Mount Airy’s All-Decade Football Team: Offense. Sunday

Mount Airy’s All-Decade Football Team: Defense/ST. Wednesday

Last edited:
They also did an East Surry all-decade offense & defense teams on 2 separate days.
East Surry’s All-Decade Football Team: Offense

East Surry’s All-Decade Football Team: Defense/ST

Reactions: realjoejr
Heartpump - I have been told by a reliable source that MA coaches did not help pick the team. My understanding is that all the other area teams did, with each school's coaches helping make selections for their respective teams. For whatever reason MA coaches did not so all selections were made solely by MA news.

That makes a lot of sense.. North's was wacky too. I offered to flat out help them and they ignored me.. oh well.
Got our WR order wrong and the O line picks were wacky in spots. Defense was more solid though.

Not putting Jackson Smith on was silly.. but when your team has no input there's not much you can do I reckon.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
That makes a lot of sense.. North's was wacky too. I offered to flat out help them and they ignored me.. oh well.
Got our WR order wrong and the O line picks were wacky in spots. Defense was more solid though.

Not putting Jackson Smith on was silly.. but when your team has no input there's not much you can do I reckon.
The coaches did have input, at least that is what one of them said. I can't believe that Casey Hull was left off the North Surry defense. Schools all time leading tackler, set the single season tackle record even though he missed 2 games with injury. 90 tackles and honorable mention all conference as a sophomore and all conference next 2 years and runner up defensive player of the year as a senior. 318 career tackles and went on to play at Catawba. Somebody explain???

• Love
Reactions: Slasher Killer
The coaches did have input, at least that is what one of them said. I can't believe that Casey Hull was left off the North Surry defense. Schools all time leading tackler, set the single season tackle record even though he missed 2 games with injury. 90 tackles and honorable mention all conference as a sophomore and all conference next 2 years and runner up defensive player of the year as a senior. 318 career tackles and went on to play at Catawba. Somebody explain???

Slash you might can help with this but I think Hull #'s was only during Coach Lyons time of coaching. I might be wrong. Also was there an All-State Linebacker that played sometime in the 90's that had/has the leading tackle count. If I remember I was thinking he had a single season tackle count well over 100.

Slash you might can help with this but I think Hull #'s was only during Coach Lyons time of coaching. I might be wrong. Also was there an All-State Linebacker that played sometime in the 90's that had/has the leading tackle count. If I remember I was thinking he had a single season tackle count well over 100.
I only listed the sophomore year with 90 tackles because he didn't make all conference with that total. Ridiculous. His junor year was 110 tackles and senior year 118 while missing 2 game's with injury. It was announced when he left that he was the single season tackle leader and all time tackle leader not just under Lyons term. These numbers came from North Surry. I would like to hear Slash's take on this.

I only listed the sophomore year with 90 tackles because he didn't make all conference with that total. Ridiculous. His junor year was 110 tackles and senior year 118 while missing 2 game's with injury. It was announced when he left that he was the single season tackle leader and all time tackle leader not just under Lyons term. These numbers came from North Surry. I would like to hear Slash's take on this.

Drew Holder All State
Had over 300 tackles in 2 seasons. Started varsity 3 years. Not sure of # count soph. year.

• Love
Reactions: Slasher Killer
I also found it unusual that North primarily ran a 34 defense but the team was chosen based on a 43 defense.
Drew Holder All State
Had over 300 tackles in 2 seasons. Started varsity 3 years. Not sure of # count soph. year.
Well I guess when Coach Lyons announced it at their end of year banquet and said that he researched it, he was wrong. What resources do you have that the coach and school didn't have? I'm not arguing or disrespectful, I'm just repeating what everyone was told and Slash may have been there that night but I'm not sure.

Before me honestly North's history was never kept.. it was a nothing burger before I took it over. Due to that sadly I'll never have the full stats due to lack of gamefilm for several years, and the MA News not providing full stats for several years but I've worked hard to build it to where it is. I got lucky and found some film in surprising places.. I wish I had more of the 80's era seasons but I have several of the 90's years and on. I just hope the stats are kept up if I ever move on from it. I want to leave it in a better place than it was.

I can defend Lyons on what he said.. I was in person when he mentioned that to the newspaper before the Shelby game. He admitted he went back as much and as far as he could then to find the tackle stats; the coaches back then didn't really keep up with them on defense die hard until 2006 or so. He admitted it was a close race between him and Holder. Holder was a great player who shoulda played college ball.. Hull did. That's a + for him.

Honestly I just read the offensive article only when I posted that comment; yeah I see why your angry. I love Goss but he was only a linebacker for one full year in 2012, once Blaze got cheap shotted and hurt in 2013 he got moved to RB and stayed there until North Wilkes dove on him and tore his ACL. Goss shoulda been given an athlete spot on offense because he played both RB and Fullback in the I and had almost 2,000 yards.

Hull not making it's a shame.. he was legit. He didn't even play JV his sophomore year he was that good.. he played vs Forbush that year with a really bad case of turf toe and did well and even played WR because we lost our two WR's to concussions off hits. He never really got his credit in 2016.. he was a large part of how we beat West Stokes that year.. they had no answer for him. He also caught the onside kick at the end; that was huge. I'm glad they noticed Woodbury and Sawyers/Miller. Woodbury improved a ton in his two years and he played a ton of games with a broke hand.. he was very old school in how he played and I loved that. Sawyers I played with him and he finished 1 vote shy of DPOY in the Northwest that year; he honestly shoulda won it. Miller was the heart of that 2012 defense. To ignore him woulda been a disgrace.

Again I offered my services for the article but I was ignored.. it is what it is as the kids say. I'll do my own before the season starts that's more fair on both ends.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT