ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like next years anson vs richmond game is no more

Going back to Hough, from what I’m hearing from the same people who said he was relocating to Myers Park.
This is about a stupid comment. Why would the kid go back to Hough when he has established a home, family, reputation, and stardom at Myers Park.

What's the same peoples name: Name them.......

Reactions: CURRY2WOODYR80
Myrtle Beach don't want any more RC their coach said "never again" after the last time...

This is about a stupid comment. Why would the kid go back to Hough when he has established a home, family, reputation, and stardom at Myers Park.

What's the same peoples name: Name them.......

Maybe he wants to move back in his Family home.

If the 2020 Raiders aren't as good as the 2019 Raiders, then I would suggest you be smart about it? Mess around and play Dutch Fork and get Forked...lol... but if the 2020 Raiders are as good or better than the 2019 team (and I know the RC fans are going to say yes of course) then I say go for it.

The teams like MC/Indy have scheduled these power programs in South Carolina and it’s somewhat of a fun match-up. Always great to see how a NC team matches up with our lower half of the Carolina’s. South Carolina emphasizes football and have some powerhouses. It’s a little easier for the MC’s and Indy type programs to do this with the influx of talent and consistency at least until the power shifts.

We played in the Myrtle Beach shootout and that was fun. It didn’t last nor did they really draw any powerhouse teams and looked more like a localized event for the most part.

To the point above, an RC or Scotland type team would need to be in an up cycle in order too make these games interesting. I think we could have done it this year. IDK about C20, but I would think the coaches would have a good idea. We have some great players coming back next year, but not sure exactly who we are losing. Scotland in 2011 would have made for an interesting game down there.

You had better be on your game most years to schedule a DF or Byrnes. I would love to see a Sandhills team or another strong team from NC take on a challenge like that. Better have a great product on the field though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScotlandAlumni99
Rich Folks... maybe he'll move to Rockingham... lol they just play where they want. That's tough to handle... anyway maybe one of those Charlotte teams will send a team to play Anson...MAYBE M.C. 88 to 0... GO RAIDERS.

Raider question?
I have been watching raider football for a long time 30 plus years but my memory is not as good as it use to
be .
So here is the question
When was the last time they have never made the playoffs?

Ive never seen Richmond play a strong out of state opponent the caliber and level of opponents that MC and Indy used to take on. Even Shelby has taken on tougher out of state competition(ie Rock Hill South Pointe, Gaffney)

Then you haven't seen much of them. They had a standing date with Marlboro for over 10 years until Marlboro ended the contract. And that was in Marlboros glory days before the Byrnes of the world. Also had a home and away series with Dillon. Played Myrtle Beach the year they won another state championship. Another thing to take into consideration is can the program financially afford to travel long distances. We lost money in the Myrtle Beach deal thats why we were out after the 2nd year. Richmond typically dresses 60-75 players every Friday thats a lot of $$$ to pack up and travel a long way with but no different than the Indy and MC's of the world. The difference is there is no new money coming into the Richmond area, no untapped sources, or fountains of cash to draw from. I for one am glad to see the money that comes into the program go to the kids, facilities, equipment and program as opposed to travel cost to appease fans desires. I would much rather spend money on sending a kid to a camp where he can gain exposure among college coaches than on a road trip just to say "well we played so and so". I think the Raiders track record is pretty clear on our willingness to play tough competition.

Raider question?
I have been watching raider football for a long time 30 plus years but my memory is not as good as it use to
be .
So here is the question
When was the last time they have never made the playoffs?

maybe 1993, i think not 100% it was either 93 or 94.

If a school travels to a big time program they can get a guarantee and an additional cut of the gate. If Richmond went to Byrnes or Gaffney they would be compensated so it would be a financial positive not a hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chopper747
Then you haven't seen much of them. They had a standing date with Marlboro for over 10 years until Marlboro ended the contract. And that was in Marlboros glory days before the Byrnes of the world. Also had a home and away series with Dillon. Played Myrtle Beach the year they won another state championship. Another thing to take into consideration is can the program financially afford to travel long distances. We lost money in the Myrtle Beach deal thats why we were out after the 2nd year. Richmond typically dresses 60-75 players every Friday thats a lot of $$$ to pack up and travel a long way with but no different than the Indy and MC's of the world. The difference is there is no new money coming into the Richmond area, no untapped sources, or fountains of cash to draw from. I for one am glad to see the money that comes into the program go to the kids, facilities, equipment and program as opposed to travel cost to appease fans desires. I would much rather spend money on sending a kid to a camp where he can gain exposure among college coaches than on a road trip just to say "well we played so and so". I think the Raiders track record is pretty clear on our willingness to play tough competition.

Marlboro and Dillon and Myrtle Beach are no where on teh same level as a Dorman, Spartanburg, Byrnes, any Rock Hill school, or Gaffney. Those powerhouses were closer than Myrtle Beach and much better back in Richmonds glory days(save for Byrnes). I sit correct. Richmond has never played an out of state powerhouse. They've ducked such games.

Marlboro and Dillon and Myrtle Beach are no where on teh same level as a Dorman, Spartanburg, Byrnes, any Rock Hill school, or Gaffney. Those powerhouses were closer than Myrtle Beach and much better back in Richmonds glory days(save for Byrnes). I sit correct. Richmond has never played an out of state powerhouse. They've ducked such games.

You just showed you don’t know geography or football with that post. How many did you drink before you made that post?

Reactions: Greengold_4ever
You just showed you don’t know geography or football with that post. How many did you drink before you made that post?

Richmond Senior to Rock Hill District 3 Stadium is a little over 1.5 hours. That would be closer than MBHS.

As good as Dillon and Marlboro have been over the years, even in the larger classes, they usually were behind Rock Hill HS and RH Northwestern.

Richmond Senior to Rock Hill District 3 Stadium is a little over 1.5 hours. That would be closer than MBHS.

As good as Dillon and Marlboro have been over the years, even in the larger classes, they usually were behind Rock Hill HS and RH Northwestern.

About the same to MB

About the same to MB

You know as well as I that Richmond hasn't "ducked" anyone.

Reactions: Raider7967

The latter 4 you mention are the "Big Boy" powerhouses of SC. Marlboro and Dillon are a step below, but have been best in class many years. RC did play Dillon one year they were nationally ranked. We won that year. 2-2 I believe against Dillon and undefeated in many seasons against Marlboro. They were no slouches including Myrtle Beach.

I don't know if we are talking about a specific time period, but not sure if RC "Ducked" any of the top ones mentioned. If we are talking the last ten years and we ducked, it was a good duck. Would have been a duck. We weren't in years with teams that would have competed against them well. They play at a high level year in and out. I did mention this year would have been a good one along with Vance, MP, and maybe WF. I don't know much about the latter. With MC setting a standard by playing some of these, more NC teams may follow. Pick your poison carefully.

[
The latter 4 you mention are the "Big Boy" powerhouses of SC. Marlboro and Dillon are a step below, but have been best in class many years. RC did play Dillon one year they were nationally ranked. We won that year. 2-2 I believe against Dillon and undefeated in many seasons against Marlboro. They were no slouches including Myrtle Beach.

I don't know if we are talking about a specific time period, but not sure if RC "Ducked" any of the top ones mentioned. If we are talking the last ten years and we ducked, it was a good duck. Would have been a duck. We weren't in years with teams that would have competed against them well. They play at a high level year in and out. I did mention this year would have been a good one along with Vance, MP, and maybe WF. I don't know much about the latter. With MC setting a standard by playing some of these, more NC teams may follow. Pick your poison carefully.

During Richmonds title runs in the 80s and 90s those big boy SC powerhouses were also good. Gaffney was actually scheduling Crest and Shelby on and off during those years. Indy also scheduled Dorman(or might have been Spartanburg) when both were decent.

I think the same year RC struggled getting past Crest in the 4th round that same Crest team lost to Gaffney by 5 or 6 TD's. Just illustrating these teams were close by geographically and were much more imposing than a Marlboro or Dillon. It's just interesting that alot top tier 4A schools(even 3A schools) in the area would schedule these games, but RC never did, not even in the scrimmage. It would have been nice to see the matchup of RC's title teams against the SC Big 16 teams, although I think they would have put some losses on Richmond's undefeated years.

1998 12/4/1998 4A - Division 2 Marlboro County 41 Ridge View 15 Williams Brice

I don't know why you posted that, Marlboro was not Big 16 Divison I 4A, neither was Dillion. My point has been proven several times.

You really talking about schedules from the 80s?

No, I made a statement that Richmond has never played an out of state powerhouse, even the ones close enough to schedule without an long trip.

Richmond has never played an out of state powerhouse. They've ducked such games.

I don't think Richmond ducked anyone. They played teams from the area but have scheduled some teams when they were at their peak. Butler and Dudley during undefeated state title runs. New Bern coming off a 4AA state title. I think Richmond played the teams that called them. Dillon was a 3A school back when they played Richmond and may have even matchedup at the tailend of their run 4A era.

Please do a little research before you post. Dorman has as many championships as Marlboro 2. Spartanburg has as many as MB and Dillon at 7. Unless your interpretation of "no where near the same level" is different than everyone else i would say they are or were on the same level. But this is coming from some one who thinks 150 miles is closer than 110 miles. Duck games? Really? C'mon man. How does it make any sense to drive through Charlotte and pass by so many good teams to play just to say we played someone from another state? What can Byrnes, Spartanburg, or any of the other teams you mention provide that MC, Vance, Butler, Indy(during good times), Providence(during good times), can't?

Northwestern and Rock Hill would have been good games that were feasible but as you are well aware with realignment on different years between the 2 states its not always easy to set series as some people think. Also, again, what do they have to offer that the Charlotte teams don't?

If you look at Richmonds scheduling there tends to be a pattern of trying sample the regions in NC that provide good football. The triad, Meck Co. and Fayetteville are all represented through out their history.

Reactions: Raider7967
Please do a little research before you post. Dorman has as many championships as Marlboro 2. Spartanburg has as many as MB and Dillon at 7. Unless your interpretation of "no where near the same level" is different than everyone else i would say they are or were on the same level. But this is coming from some one who thinks 150 miles is closer than 110 miles. Duck games? Really? C'mon man. How does it make any sense to drive through Charlotte and pass by so many good teams to play just to say we played someone from another state? What can Byrnes, Spartanburg, or any of the other teams you mention provide that MC, Vance, Butler, Indy(during good times), Providence(during good times), can't?

Northwestern and Rock Hill would have been good games that were feasible but as you are well aware with realignment on different years between the 2 states its not always easy to set series as some people think. Also, again, what do they have to offer that the Charlotte teams don't?

If you look at Richmonds scheduling there tends to be a pattern of trying sample the regions in NC that provide good football. The triad, Meck Co. and Fayetteville are all represented through out their history.

Comparing Dorman and Spartanburg to Marlboro and Dillion is like comparing Indy to Greenville Rose when both were on their subdivided title streek. It's not the same.

Reactions: btango
What good does it do for us or any NC team to play a SC team? Not taking a shot here but MC played two tough SC teams and they didn't win 1 playoff game. So what good is it besides maybe bragging rights?

What good does it do for us or any NC team to play a SC team? Not taking a shot here but MC played two tough SC teams and they didn't win 1 playoff game. So what good is it besides maybe bragging rights?

Did you have this question in mind when they played Marlboro, Dillion, or Myrtle Beach? Just curious.

I don't really remember us playing Dillon or Marlboro I was a youngster. We played MB a few years ago in some sort of NC vs SC challenge I didn't really like it because of the drive so I actually didn't go.

@rcoraider98
We did back in the day & I want to say Richmond still holds the title for most wins against Marlboro & Dillion
We also use to have a thing called 7up something that I think maybe it’s called battle of the border now Then again that may have been the name of it then

Last edited:
Richmond has 7 State Titles and the highest win percentage in the state... Doubt they're "scared" to play anyone lol

It’s really just for bragging rights and the competition. No real benefit outside of that.

[

During Richmonds title runs in the 80s and 90s those big boy SC powerhouses were also good. Gaffney was actually scheduling Crest and Shelby on and off during those years. Indy also scheduled Dorman(or might have been Spartanburg) when both were decent.

I think the same year RC struggled getting past Crest in the 4th round that same Crest team lost to Gaffney by 5 or 6 TD's. Just illustrating these teams were close by geographically and were much more imposing than a Marlboro or Dillon. It's just interesting that alot top tier 4A schools(even 3A schools) in the area would schedule these games, but RC never did, not even in the scrimmage. It would have been nice to see the matchup of RC's title teams against the SC Big 16 teams, although I think they would have put some losses on Richmond's undefeated years.

RC did everything they needed to do to prove themselves in the 80’s and 90’s. I don’t think anyone in their right mind would deny that and RC set a bar back then. I thought you were referring to the past few years. I was too young to care then, but quite proud to say 7 time state champs. RC schedule is proof they don’t play dodgeball. The SC teams played were the closest and were not chopped liver by any means. MC can tell you Dillon football is for real.

Reactions: Greengold_4ever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT