ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Back 2000 Newton Conover Red Devils

trooper0080

Nov 14, 2013
With high school football in limbo for this season it made me think about all the great teams in the past 20 years. Even though this crowd didn’t win the state title. They will go down as arguably one of the best teams in the foothills region. Offensively you had Parade All-American Curt Dukes who went on to Nebraska before transferring to Duke. Ladoux Wilson was a 5’8” 160 speedster at TB. Alex “Piggy” Shuford was a monster at FB. WR/CB Dontavius Lineberger was a 4.4 forty kid as well. Trey Connor and Chris Fleming rounded out a very good defense that year. Their heartbreaking 14-13 loss to Phil Padgett and SW onslow that year was one that still probably eats newton fans up and causes Coach Nick Bazzle to still stay up late nights pondering. You had a 2,700 yard rusher, 1,500 rushing yard QB and 1,000 yard full back lol. True Connor had what was a state record 11 ints that season. What great times and I hope we get to enjoy the sights and sounds of HS football soon.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Both those teams were stout offensively, but the difference was in the defenses. That Stallion defense was STROOOOOONG!!

I still hate it for the NC kicker, but in the end, the Stallion smash mouth running game kept that high octane offense off the field and the Stallion defense was stout.

That running back, Ladoux Wilson was the real deal. He was one missed tackle away from a TD on any play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT