ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at 2017 .....

Im sure they will recruit enough, only a matter of time....

Really don't and want let this turn into a peeing contest, but will add this. No big time football players going there to play. If they are transferring for football, it will be Reagan, EF, MT and WF. All those teams have players sitting on beach that would be stars at 1A level. If Mustang Sally reads this I think he will agree with me for the most. Really waiting to see who Carver hires, the right hire could put them in a elite status again. Heck they got money, they just installed a $100,000 plus scoreboard with a large video board.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
talking big in paper I see from new coach" gonna beat MA, gonna beat ES" .....hope they have enough to make a team...hear enrollment going down
I think the article said 203 students and I have heard 85 boys.

I admire the guy's candor but he better be careful too. He's trying to build hype for a program that never had much of any despite making it into the 2nd round twice and that's understandable. Making the Namath esque statement at the end isn't the best way to introduce one's self though. He managed to stir up a hornet's nest with East and MA and he cast off South and the other schools like they were nothing. Not a good move. If they struggle this year or next don't expect some of those schools to forget that comment .

They have talent there but how they manage to use it will show everything. They had a decent JV team in 2015 but I don't know exactly if they have those players still. The new guy's got to use them right and use what he has as it will be a while to build their brand. It'll be hard for a while because Forsyth Co has a crap ton of programs in it (11 not counting Prep and 12 if FCD ever fields a team again,) so unless they set the world on fire it will be hard to get kids there that aren't already going to West/East or Parkland even. Heck they will have to compete with Atkins for players more than likely for now that's how new they are as a brand and program.

It's going to be an intresting 4 years for the Northwest. South and Prep's going to be the x-factors of the alignment. MA and East will be fine but those two will provide the intrest. Bishop may have a good class come thru perhaps but it's hard to tell and North Stokes will be watched to see if they can even field a team or not.

I admire the guy's candor but he better be careful too. He's trying to build hype for a program that never had much of any despite making it into the 2nd round twice and that's understandable. Making the Namath esque statement at the end isn't the best way to introduce one's self though. He managed to stir up a hornet's nest with East and MA and he cast off South and the other schools like they were nothing. Not a good move. If they struggle this year or next don't expect some of those schools to forget that comment .

They have talent there but how they manage to use it will show everything. They had a decent JV team in 2015 but I don't know exactly if they have those players still. The new guy's got to use them right and use what he has as it will be a while to build their brand. It'll be hard for a while because Forsyth Co has a crap ton of programs in it (11 not counting Prep and 12 if FCD ever fields a team again,) so unless they set the world on fire it will be hard to get kids there that aren't already going to West/East or Parkland even. Heck they will have to compete with Atkins for players more than likely for now that's how new they are as a brand and program.

It's going to be an intresting 4 years for the Northwest. South and Prep's going to be the x-factors of the alignment. MA and East will be fine but those two will provide the intrest. Bishop may have a good class come thru perhaps but it's hard to tell and North Stokes will be watched to see if they can even field a team or not.
Slasher, you alway post pretty much spot on. I'm sure the young man has set his sights high, might as well, but he is only 30'years old and I can bet he wasn't trying to make bulletin board material. Bet it was the first time he has ever been interviewed for anything except the job he just got. He has to come up with 10-15 more players just to make up a team, I can bet no football studs will be transferring in.

Slasher, you alway post pretty much spot on. I'm sure the young man has set his sights high, might as well, but he is only 30'years old and I can bet he wasn't trying to make bulletin board material. Bet it was the first time he has ever been interviewed for anything except the job he just got. He has to come up with 10-15 more players just to make up a team, I can bet no football studs will be transferring in.

Very true. I'm willing to give him the benfit of the doubt because all people deserve that. I'm sure he won't be so loud the next time; if he is though then that's his gimmick. He'll be different enough from Scales due to how he handled this. Scales was more quiet. But 1 thing I liked in the article was his emphasis on mentioning sportsmanship and that's always a + in my book.

He mentioned in the article that he wants 35; they had 27/28 last year so they need a solid +7/8. That's a hurdle for a small school but I admire his setting of goals. Anything's possible in high school ball though.

Very true. I'm willing to give him the benfit of the doubt because all people deserve that. I'm sure he won't be so loud the next time; if he is though then that's his gimmick. He'll be different enough from Scales due to how he handled this. Scales was more quiet. But 1 thing I liked in the article was his emphasis on mentioning sportsmanship and that's always a + in my book.

He mentioned in the article that he wants 35; they had 27/28 last year so they need a solid +7/8. That's a hurdle for a small school but I admire his setting of goals. Anything's possible in high school ball though.
Hopefully he learned under Coach Gilchrest at NF, anytime I spoke with him of an on field discipline issue it was handle quickly.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Better watch Cherokee. 27 players return every starter but one Db will be back . 2 1000 yard rushers and both the top passing targets. They return a 3 year starter at qb who from the looks of bball games is killing the weight room. I'm excited and ready for some football. The line should be massive and strong

Murphy returns 8 starters on defense and 7 on offense. As good as they were this season, will be even better in 2017 on paper.

Will have to replace free safety, strong safety and a tackle on defense. On offense a wide receiver, left tackle, left guard and right tackle. The biggest holes to fill will be tackle and free safety on defense imo.

Mitchell returns a lot of starters as well from what I understand.
if were gonna be better there better be some linemen step up , you just don't insert another Deetz ,Stafford, Newton or a Powell.

Mount Airy 2017 Football Schedule
NonConference
Aug. 18 vs Starmount
Aug. 25 at (Eden) Morehead
Sept. 1 vs West Stokes
Sept. 8 at Elkin
Sept. 15 vs North Surry
Sept. 22 at Surry Central
Conference
Oct. 6 vs North Stokes
Oct. 13 at South Stokes
Oct. 20 at WSPrep
Oct. 27 vs Bishop
Nov. 3 at East Surry
Could have posted sooner but was unsure about week 2 & 4

Last edited:
What's the word on N. Stokes, are they having Varsity this year?
This has been in Microsoft Word on my desk top for close to a month and they are supposed to be in the conference but I have not heard anything about their football program. If you look at Deana's 2017 1A Football Schedules,North Stokes is on East Surry's schedule also.

What's the word on N. Stokes, are they having Varsity this year?
Also I am not sure any schedule is set in stone untill posted by someone from the school. I don't remember where I got this but I would not have saved it unless it was from some in the know and it could change.

All good, I was just wandering if NS was going to have JV, Varsity or maybe even both this fall.
North Stokes plays Alleghany in there 1st game and are on the schedule of the team that have posted schedule ... I just got this message back on North Stokes Varsity & JV football.
It said, I have spoken with the coaches, and their plan is to have both teams this upcoming fall. If I hear anything different, I'll let you know.
Me: JV may be questionable IMO..

Last edited:
NonConference
Aug. 18 vs Starmount
Sept. 1 vs West Stokes
Sept. 8 at Elkin
Sept. 15 vs North Surry
Conference
Oct. 6 vs North Stokes
Oct. 13 at South Stokes
Oct. 20 at WSPrep
Oct. 27 vs Bishop
Nov. 3 at East Surry
Could have posted sooner but was unsure about week 2 & 4

Are you sure about Sept 1st vs West Stokes? Because, they have Starmount schedule to play West Stokes on Sept 1st. Just asking

I believe this schedule may have changed... Just Ignore it ! ! !
NonConference
Aug. 18 vs Starmount
Sept. 1 vs West Stokes
Sept. 8 at Elkin
Sept. 15 vs North Surry
Conference
Oct. 6 vs North Stokes
Oct. 13 at South Stokes
Oct. 20 at WSPrep
Oct. 27 vs Bishop
Nov. 3 at East Surry

Last edited:

I believe this schedule may have changed... Just Ignore it ! ! !
NonConference
Aug. 18 vs Starmount
Sept. 1 vs West Stokes
Sept. 8 at Elkin
Sept. 15 vs North Surry
Conference
Oct. 6 vs North Stokes
Oct. 13 at South Stokes
Oct. 20 at WSPrep
Oct. 27 vs Bishop
Nov. 3 at East Surry
What gets me is no one has corrected it or said it was wrong. It was posted on here by someone and I saved it to my desktop. Then when I went back looking for it ,I could not find it so I changed the looks some ,not the schedule and posted. ????? !!!!!!!!

Are you sure about Sept 1st vs West Stokes? Because, they have Starmount schedule to play West Stokes on Sept 1st. Just asking
Maxprep has Mount Airy vs West Stokes on 8/25. the whole schedule is not complete there or CP and they may be wrong. Not looking for it any longer ! ! !

Yeah West and MA's week 2; West's league lineup site has that on 8/25 at West Stokes. CP has Morehead at Mount Airy on September 8th. We are the week after then MA goes to Central before the bye and conference I believe.

I'm suprised about Elkin though I figured they wanted to schedule someone else more to their level. They did add South Stokes but they dropped Forbush. That was a suprise to me.

Last I remember from seeing in one of the papers about N Stokes folding last year was that Reeves said his overall goal is to field a varsity this year with Sophmores and juniors and probably not have a JV. He was really big on the freshman that came in last year; plus what juniors they had got plenty of playing time in 2015. Their freshman class this year will tell a lot. If they get enough new kids to come out from the sophmores and juniors that will be a good boost to them.

I have a friend who I've known since Kindergarten who teaches at their middle school and she said their overall school population's dropped a lot in the last few years. Their middle school team barely had enough kids to play last year and that's suprising considering they weren't bad in 2015. For some reason their #'s have dropped off since the class of 2016 graduated. I still don't understand why no one was intrested in 2016 after they had a sucessful year the year before. That 2015 season should have boosted that entire program.

They have potential for some decent years down the line though so I hope their program doesn't fold. Their peewee squad made it deep in the playoffs and they had an undefated regular season from what I've seen. Their JV team wasn't bad either. If they keep those 2 squads going then they can have a good start to the next decade.

Yeah West and MA's week 2; West's league lineup site has that on 8/25 at West Stokes. CP has Morehead at Mount Airy on September 8th. We are the week after then MA goes to Central before the bye and conference I believe.

I'm suprised about Elkin though I figured they wanted to schedule someone else more to their level. They did add South Stokes but they dropped Forbush. That was a suprise to me.
I am supprised at both Elkin & Morehead being on the schedule Maxprep shows both schools going 0-11 last year. I would reather seen a tougher schedule but I am sure the coach knows far more about what he is doing than I do and the schedule may have changed sense I saw it in late DEC.or JAN..Used to be a strong rivaly with Elkin back in the late 60s and early 70s.. They played on their old field and Mount Airy played on their old field ,Floyd Poore Park Mount Airy got their new field in the mid 70s Wally Shelton Stadium a long time coach them all football & men’s and women’s basketball and baseball. Not sure where he went after leaving the Bears to coach Alex Gibbs who won the 1968 Western 3A Championship as there was only a eastern and western crown then but Coach Hollingsworth took over in 1969 and I am pretty sure as I remember he took the Bears to the western finals but lost to Reidsville 35-12 and I failed to give the 1968 Western 3A Championship score ,Mount Airy beat Mount Tabor 19-0 for the Western 3A State Championship
http://www.nchsaa.org/news/2009-5-8/nchsaa-heritage-wally-shelton

Last edited:
Correction , I left out Mount Airy's 1968 Western 3A State Championship Coach. I corrected and reposted after seeing around 15 views did not see the coach.
I am supprised at both Elkin & Morehead being on the schedule Maxprep shows both schools going 0-11 last year. I would reather seen a tougher schedule but I am sure the coach knows far more about what he is doing than I do and the schedule may have changed sense I saw it in late DEC.or JAN..Used to be a strong rivaly with Elkin back in the late 60s and early 70s.. They played on their old field and Mount Airy played on their old field ,Floyd Poore Park Mount Airy got their new field in the mid 70s Wally Shelton Stadium a long time coach them all, football & men’s and women’s basketball and baseball. Not sure where he went after leaving the Bears to coach. I think sometime later Alex Gibbs took over and won the 1968 Western 3A Championship as there was only a eastern and western crown then but Coach Hollingsworth took over in 1969 and I am pretty sure as I remember he took the Bears to the western finals but lost to Reidsville 35-12 and I failed to give the 1968 Western 3A Championship score ,Mount Airy beat Mount Tabor 19-0 for the Western 3A State Championship
http://www.nchsaa.org/news/2009-5-8/nchsaa-heritage-wally-shelton

Last edited:
Robbinsville lost 6 seniors this year. I think only 4 starter. Odom and Hooper were good lineman. Jumper was our best WR. Hemphill was our FB. I notice we will have 17 seniors. That is a huge number for us. I it's should help in the close games.

Last I remember from seeing in one of the papers about N Stokes folding last year was that Reeves said his overall goal is to field a varsity this year with Sophmores and juniors and probably not have a JV. He was really big on the freshman that came in last year; plus what juniors they had got plenty of playing time in 2015. Their freshman class this year will tell a lot. If they get enough new kids to come out from the sophmores and juniors that will be a good boost to them.

I have a friend who I've known since Kindergarten who teaches at their middle school and she said their overall school population's dropped a lot in the last few years. Their middle school team barely had enough kids to play last year and that's suprising considering they weren't bad in 2015. For some reason their #'s have dropped off since the class of 2016 graduated. I still don't understand why no one was intrested in 2016 after they had a sucessful year the year before. That 2015 season should have boosted that entire program.

They have potential for some decent years down the line though so I hope their program doesn't fold. Their peewee squad made it deep in the playoffs and they had an undefated regular season from what I've seen. Their JV team wasn't bad either. If they keep those 2 squads going then they can have a good start to the next decade.

Piney Grove middle school always has problems fielding a team. Most of this is caused because the 7th graders have the option to play at the little league program and most do. It was the same thing with this freshman group at piney grove in 2015. The same thing the year before that. You finally get enough when school starts and the coaches can recruit kids to play.

And as I stated before about the senior class that is at North right now, as a whole they have never been big participates in sports. This goes back to the youth programs for all sports. Just look at basketball this season for North. No senior starters and just two on the entire team. And the same goes for baseball. 3 senior starters, and 4 underclassmen starting yesterday.

Just a down year for North with numbers at a particular class. Thankful the ones who do play, but its just what it is.

National Champions 2017 Tarheels .... 71- 65 over Gonzaga
17796232_10213077660563077_5687951428998783543_n.jpg

was talking with some others a few days ago that this year there could be only a 4 team league for football if WSPA & North Stokes don't have varsity teams....was informed NST was planning on it but no idea from WS.....anyone know ????

What happened with the new coach coming after the bears and Cardinals? Not as good of a recruiter as he hoped? I hope for the kids at North Stokes they can at least play a whole season. Tough situation over there for sure. Can't wait for the season to start myself!!

North Stokes should be fine. I think they had quite a few freshmen last year. Can't fault a coach for not wanting to play varsity with 15 freshmen. They should have numbers in the 20s.

All those teams have players sitting on bench that would be stars at 1A level.
starters? yes, absolutely... stars? um no.. unless we're talking about some select underclassmen who are just waiting their turn.

Last edited:
How is everyone's spring workouts going things looking good over at East Surry kids have an energy level I haven't seen this long before the season in a long time great kids with a drive to win can't wait to see them perform on Friday night

GOODLUCK TO ALL
GO BIG RED

Reactions: BK13T-$
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT