ADVERTISEMENT

Look at these numbers

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Look at these point spreads in the first round. Yes, I strongly believe that the playoff berth numbers should be tweaked.

Any thoughts?

1A - EAST REGION
#1 Tarboro (9-1) - Bye
#17 Southeast Halifax (4-5) at #16 North Duplin (6-4) - S by 3
#25 Pamlico County (3-7) at #8 Riverside (Williamston) (9-1) - R by 35
#24 KIPP Pride Academy (2-8) at #9 North Edgecombe (7-3) - N by 38
#28 South Creek (0-10) at #5 West Columbus (7-3) - W by 47
#21 Washington County (3-7) at #12 Gates County (6-4) - G by 18
#20 Weldon (3-5) at #13 Northside (Pinetown) (6-4) - N by 29
#29 Jones Senior (1-9) at #4 Northampton County (8-2) - N by 54
#30 Chatham Central (1-9) at #3 Rosewood (6-4) - R by 52
#19 Lakewood (5-5) at #14 Warren County (6-4) - W by 2
#27 Rocky Mount Prep (1-8) at #6 Southside (7-3) - S by forfeit
#22 Northwest Halifax (2-8) at #11 Hobbton (8-2) - H by 44
#26 East Columbus (2-8) at #7 Bear Grass Charter (5-5) - E by 6
#23 Perquimans (2-8) at #10 Wilson Prep (8-2) - W by 23
#18 Pender (5-5) at #15 Bertie (4-6) - P by 13
#31 Lejeune (0-10) at #2 North Moore (10-0) - N by 64

1A - WEST REGION
#1 Eastern Randolph (9-1) - Bye
#17 Mountain Heritage (4-6) at #16 South Stokes (4-6) - Even - M
#25 Cherryville (3-7) at #8 Robbinsville (7-3) - R by 40
#24 Cherokee (2-8) at #9 Starmount (7-3) - S by 24
#28 Avery County (3-7) at #5 Christ the King (8-2) - C by 21
#21 Alleghany (3-7) at #12 Hayesville (5-5) - H by 14
#20 Carver (3-7) at #13 North Rowan (6-4) - N by 40
#29 North Stokes (1-9) at #4 Mount Airy (9-1) - M by 58
#30 Elkin (1-9) at #3 Thomasville (9-1) - T by 50
#19 Winston-Salem Prep (3-6) at #14 Swain County (4-6) - S by 30
#27 Union Academy (2-8) at #6 Draughn (9-1) - D by 46
#22 South Davidson (4-6) at #11 Mitchell (7-3) - M by 34
#26 Albemarle (3-7) at #7 Murphy (7-3) - M by 29
#23 Thomas Jefferson (2-8) at #10 East Wilkes (8-2) - E by 23
#18 Bessemer City (3-7) at #15 Mountain Island Charter (4-5) - B by 1
#31 Highland Tech (0-10) at #2 Andrews (10-0) - A by 63

24 not enough.
Doesn't work out either.
32 would work good

Last edited:
I'm like Swain97 I wonder as well how much they get a the gate of these blowout games so I could see the Nchsaa being willing to drop the first round games as they are now but as I mentioned on another thread the NCHSAA takes 15 percent of the profit from ticket sales , plus $1 for every ticket to go into its endowment program so even if they were willing to cut from 64 to 48 and lose 8 games I seriously doubt they'd be willing to cut from 64 to 32 and lose 16 games.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
My senior year 1982-83 season was Mitchell's first winning season 6-4 then in 3A Little Mac but at 6-4 didn't make the playoffs while I remember watching Brevard that year win the 3A division l championship I couldn't remember the playoff set-up that kept a 6-4 team out.
According to pdf off of the nchsaa website there was 7 champions that year.
Class A division l 8 teams total - champion: Robbinsville
AA division l 16 teams - champion: Randleman
AA division ll is odd it list 4 teams in the West 6 in the East 2 byes and 2 games to start - champions Fred t Foard in the West and Wallace Rose in the East doesn't show a championship game.
AAA division l 16 teams - champion : Brevard
AAA division ll 16 teams - champions: West Tuscola, East SW Edgecombe, again no championship game listened.
AAAA division l 16 teams - champions: Jacksonville
AAAAdivision ll not sure this is correct but again this is all they show on the pda download 4 teams - champion: Asheville

Last edited:
When I graduated at E.Burke in '80 every other year we got the conference champ and conference runner-up. The other year you had to win conference. My 3 years we lucked out and made state.....soph,junior were conference Champs. Senior year was in 3 way tie for second with Freedom,South Caldwell which upset us earlier in year. Hickory was 10-0 #3 in the state. We had to beat Freedom(15-8) we did and Hunter Huss had to upset South.....well they did 29-28.......and wouldn't you know the next two week we beat #2 N.Durham then 1# A.L.(Kannapolis) Brown and in the state semifinals 9-3 High Point Centrel beat us 35-0 and when on the next week to beat Grensville Rose 21-9 to win the state championship.

I’m a little concerned after looking at these numbers that some teams may overlook their opponents. Don’t get caught looking past your opponent’s because of their record or PPG etc. they will be quality teams that play in a tough conference or a split conference. Also they will be teams full of athletes that run offensive schemes that others haven’t seen before. Be prepared and confident but don’t look past. Good luck everyone

I’m a little concerned after looking at these numbers that some teams may overlook their opponents. Don’t get caught looking past your opponent’s because of their record or PPG etc. they will be quality teams that play in a tough conference or a split conference. Also they will be teams full of athletes that run offensive schemes that others haven’t seen before. Be prepared and confident but don’t look past. Good luck everyone
Highland Tech has no shot at beating Andrews. That’s just a fact.

Not that it would be much of a change but they could do 28 team's. Top 4 seeds get a bye week one. 5 would play 28, 6 would play 27 so on and so forth. That would make second round a field of 16 team's then

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Several years ago I brought up a proposal to one of the top 1A coaches that had a lot of clout that was going to make the playoffs every season. Reduce the 1A playoffs by one full round. Title games would be a week earlier than the other three classifications. 1A would be all the focus for that day. The schools could vote on where to play their title games which would be one location. If they wanted to try a larger high school, App State, Wake Forest, Elon, A&T, ECU, wherever the NCHSAA would work on that. My whole pitch was that 1A complains about lack of recogintion, travel issues, teams with minimal records making the playoffs, their players are what fill out winter sport rosters. et al. Thought this was the perfect structure.

The answer, "why should we be treated different than the other classes?"

My response, "why did 1A coaches push for sub-divided playoffs?"

Several years ago I brought up a proposal to one of the top 1A coaches that had a lot of clout that was going to make the playoffs every season. Reduce the 1A playoffs by one full round. Title games would be a week earlier than the other three classifications. 1A would be all the focus for that day. The schools could vote on where to play their title games which would be one location. If they wanted to try a larger high school, App State, Wake Forest, Elon, A&T, ECU, wherever the NCHSAA would work on that. My whole pitch was that 1A complains about lack of recogintion, travel issues, teams with minimal records making the playoffs, their players are what fill out winter sport rosters. et al. Thought this was the perfect structure.

The answer, "why should we be treated different than the other classes?"

My response, "why did 1A coaches push for sub-divided playoffs?"
As usual, btango, your proposals are well reasoned and make sense. I definitely like it. We need the schools to step up and run their own organization and keep the legislature out of it.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
While I do not disagree that the playoffs should be cut one round, I would ask: why have more 0-10, 1-9 teams not opted out?
Just a question.
Mainly for the Seniors and to finish what they started last January. Those would be the only viable reasons.

Reactions: KW23
Lol. Somebody brings them from the closest one (45 minutes away) and sell them at the games. It’s a big deal in a small town haha.
I can relate to this one....I went to Gates Co. HS in the late 90s and still today there is zero fast food in all of Gates County (unless you count chicken at the gas station, which I ate many times this past summer when traveling that way often while attending to my deceased parents' estate) so at the games I would usually get a bunch of hot dogs....but at some point one of the booster club ladies started driving to either Ahoskie or Suffolk, VA to bring back slices of pepperoni pizza from Dominos, with the Heat Wave insulated bags to keep the temperature...that was a game changer

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT