ADVERTISEMENT

Longevity of a Conference and what it means!

KevinFromSwain

May 30, 2001
Far in'em thar hills
We up here in the Smoky Mountains have been very fortunate, we've had the SMC since the 50's in 1A or 2A or both. What that has helped create is a nice long and storied Tradition of winning. That's a large key to many of the young men playing ball up here, their fathers or their Grandfathers may have played on a state title team. We have this luxury to fall back on, heck from my playing day to now is over 4 decades! And we've still got out SMC. I guess what I'm getting at is how old are some of the other 1A conferences in this state? It appears to me that every couple of years they, (the NCHSAA) changes conferences down state way too much!

Talk to me, find out just how long some of the other Conferences have been around? And what kind of changes have ya'll outside the SMC have seen. I think by this state of constant change isn't good for area teams down east. Hard to grasp on to your past when someone keeps changing the future.

Anyone out there care to put some input into this topic?

The Northwest has been around a while, but it has been 1A, 1A/2A, 2A, and even 3A (early years). Starmount no longer in NW still plays East Surry and Mount Airy because of good competition and gates.

The Northwest 1A Conference at one time was the best overall sports conference in 1A. Those schools were: Alleghany, East Surry, East Wilkes, Elkin, Mount Airy, North Stokes, South Stokes, and Starmount. Great games and gates....wish we could have this again.

But Kevin it's true about the SMC... Very unique thing you guys have.

I am pretty sure that Mount Airy has been a member of the Northwest Conference sense the 60s if not longer. I can't remember them being in another conference. Someone with a better memory correct me if I am wrong LOL. Early 70s they were 3a Changed to 2a then 1a but always been The Northwest Conference. I can remember them playing West Forsyth in the 70s when they were 3a and beating them.

This post was edited on 11/30 10:57 PM by photo0001

Hopefully in the next realignment it will go back to the schools Deanna was talking about for the better gates. ( Alleghany, East Surry, East Wilkes, Elkin, Mount Airy, North Stokes, South Stokes, and Starmount ) But keeping North Surry & Surry Central and dropping North & South Stokes. That would be an 8 team conference so we can play 3 other teams as non-conferense games. That would be my picks.

Photo...my list is an all 1A league with no 2As. I think it's more fair competition that way.

I agree Deana but they will never drop North Surry or Surry Central from Mount Airy's schedule but they can be our non-conference games. What is you all 1a conference list. I also don't like a 1a / 2a split conference.

This post was edited on 11/30 11:11 PM by photo0001

The next realignment for the Northwest 1A needs to be Alleghany, East Surry, East Wikes, Elkin, Mount Airy & Startmount.

The Western Piedmont 1A/2A should be Atkins, Bishop, Carver, North Stokes, South Stokes, Walkertown, West Stokes, WS-Prep.
The Mountain Valley 2A Ashe County, North Wilkes, North Surry, South Stokes, Surry Central, West Stokes, West Wilkes, Wikes Central.

If I've left something out please feel in.

Deana and anyone that wants to and you thought I started a new thread on this subject I didn't want to hijack. KevinFromSwains thread any more than I did. Look for the new thread (2017 Realigned Northwest Conference )
[/B]
Sorry KevinFromSwains Now you can get everyone back on your topic of ( Longevity of a Conference and what it means! )
This post was edited on 11/30 11:35 PM by photo0001

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT