ADVERTISEMENT

Let's hear it NCHSAA... How'd you get $41 Million saved up?

PrepFanNC

Oct 10, 2017
Anyone that has ever reached out to the NCHSAA for clarification and gotten stonewalled by their "We are rulers, we don't owe you any information" mentality... This will be quite interesting to watch:

Fraud isn't suspected... I didn't suspect that either. But they are playing with public funds and need to be accountable. They take and take and I've seen very little evidence of giving back. Especially during the tight budgets associated with the last year's pandemic.

I could be wrong. If you've got a different story, I'd like to hear it.

Anyone that has ever reached out to the NCHSAA for clarification and gotten stonewalled by their "We are rulers, we don't owe you any information" mentality... This will be quite interesting to watch:

Fraud isn't suspected... I didn't suspect that either. But they are playing with public funds and need to be accountable. They take and take and I've seen very little evidence of giving back. Especially during the tight budgets associated with the last year's pandemic.

Charlotte Catholic and Cardinal Gibbons cutting big checks for all those state titles 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: GSO-Triple5

Anyone who has read my posts over the years knows that I disagree with the NCHSAA more often than not. And the questions about the endowment fund are legitimate. But don’t be fooled into thinking this isn’t a political shell game. The endowment fund is the leverage point and is to gain public support. This is about legislators who are ticked off about some of the things that happened during the pandemic. They fancy themselves experts on everything and want to control everything.
This is about wanting to take control of the association away from the members and run it to advance a political agenda. They want to run public television, the UNC system, cities, and now the NCHSAA. This is only the beginning and they’ll end up appointing the association board because only they know how things should be run.

Been their, done that on contacting the NCHSAA! Once I left a VM letting them know I would be in the area in the next few days and would stop by there office if I didn't get a response, I promptly received a call!

If the NCHSAA took 25% of their 41,000,000 war chest and divided it amongst the 426 schools that would give each school approx. $24,000. That would go a long way in helping athletic depts cover their expenses for 2029-2021.

Instead we split $4M (10%)

If the NCHSAA took 25% of their 41,000,000 war chest and divided it amongst the 426 schools that would give each school approx. $24,000. That would go a long way in helping athletic depts cover their expenses for 2029-2021.
no ,legitimate reason not to.

The concern of Charlie Adams was the day would come funds would be needed to sustain high school sports in the state. He saw insurance being a major issue and possibly the costs or lack of options being the adversary that would shut down high schools but most specifically football. The thought was to get the endowment to a point where the profit from it would be cover these expenses. He was well connected and went to the economics and business schools at UNC for guidance.

If you endow a scholarship at a college the amount needed is what produces the funds to cover each year of that scholarship.

I do think more money should have been provided at times but more during the Great Recession when fuel prices crushed athletic departments and the economy took a huge negative turn. During the pandemic money was not coming in but it also was not going out.

There is no right answer on this. There needs to be oversight, clarity, and transparency but not a politician appointing board members, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

The concern of Charlie Adams was the day would come funds would be needed to sustain high school sports in the state. He saw insurance being a major issue and possibly the costs or lack of options being the adversary that would shut down high schools but most specifically football. The thought was to get the endowment to a point where the profit from it would be cover these expenses. He was well connected and went to the economics and business schools at UNC for guidance.

If you endow a scholarship at a college the amount needed is what produces the funds to cover each year of that scholarship.

I do think more money should have been provided at times but more during the Great Recession when fuel prices crushed athletic departments and the economy took a huge negative turn. During the pandemic money was not coming in but it also was not going out.

There is no right answer on this. There needs to be oversight, clarity, and transparency but not a politician appointing board members, ABSOLUTELY NOT.
That’s where this is headed. Same song, different verse.

Don't think, do your homework. If you do, you will find out I'm correct.
an endowment game is a contest between two teams that doesn't count. Endowment games are optional, only one per sport per season is allowed, and they cannot extend the length of the regular season. Endowment games are also revenue producers for the NCHSAA. A total of 25% of all revenue goes to the NCHSAA; after expenses, the rest is divided up between the participating schools.

an endowment game is a contest between two teams that doesn't count. Endowment games are optional, only one per sport per season is allowed, and they cannot extend the length of the regular season. Endowment games are also revenue producers for the NCHSAA. A total of 25% of all revenue goes to the NCHSAA; after expenses, the rest is divided up between the participating schools.
I beg to differ about endowment games not counting......all schools I know count it as either a win or a loss in their record....may not count as far as seeding....but as far as player stats and won loss record they most certainly do count...................

I beg to differ about endowment games not counting......all schools I know count it as either a win or a loss in their record....may not count as far as seeding....but as far as player stats and won loss record they most certainly do count...................
You are correct. But is dropped from record for playoff purposes.

Reactions: rambbq
Don't think, do your homework. If you do, you will find out I'm correct.

You may have anchored yourself to the wrong information. It’s okay to be wrong... It’s kind of dumb to sink to the bottom clinging to that erroneous info. State your source.

“Endowment games are optional, only one per sport per season is allowed, and they cannot extend the length of the regular season. Endowment games are also revenue producers for the NCHSAA. A total of 25% of all revenue goes to the NCHSAA; after expenses, the rest is divided up between the participating schools.”

Reactions: thekidd12

Endowments are intended to be self sustaining so that any monies paid out will be offset by long term increases in the investments of the Endowment by an amount at least equal to inflation.

I suspect $41 million is not nearly enough to provide the payouts necessary to sustain high school sports at some level in the future if local funding is not available or is reduced.

While it may be popular to trash the NCHSAA or the General Assembly based on one number, a more sober and reasoned analysis about the goals of the Endowment and the amounts necessary to achieve those goals must be the end result of any study.

Reactions: btango
You may have anchored yourself to the wrong information. It’s okay to be wrong... It’s kind of dumb to sink to the bottom clinging to that erroneous info. State your source.

“Endowment games are optional, only one per sport per season is allowed, and they cannot extend the length of the regular season. Endowment games are also revenue producers for the NCHSAA. A total of 25% of all revenue goes to the NCHSAA; after expenses, the rest is divided up between the participating schools.”
My source is from a radio program up here in the foothills. They did a segment on this story about a month ago concerned about the money. From what they stated about the funds per endowment games, every penny from the endowment games goes to the North Carolina high School athletic association and has been like that for years.

Longtime reader, first time poster.

SportsNut17 is correct about revenue split. See page 69 of the 2020-2021 NCHSAA Handbook if you don't believe the quoted text in the threads.

I agree with you PrepFanNC, things need to change. It is a bit ridiculous that the NCHSAA has 17M of reserves on top of a 23M endowment. Seems like they have 4 years of reserves they should spend down and distribute to members based on 18-19 budget. I run a nonprofit and try to keep a year's worth of expenses in the bank. They definitely need to increase transparency. Like admitted by Sen. Sawyer yesterday, I don't think there is wrongdoing on the part of NCHSAA, the public just needs to easily see revenues and expenditures. Shouldn't have to track it down by asking staff for information like others have mentioned on this thread.

I do think the principal of the endowment funds should remain untouched. Personally, I think it is brilliant the endowment exists. Maybe don't add any more funds to it, I would continue adding, but certainly don't dismantle it. A 7 percent return on 23M is 1.6M per year (1.6M divided by 426 is $3,755, nothing to sneeze at). Improve the disbursement formula so rural communities, where there are less opportunities for sponsorship, are treated more equitably. Incorporate additional needs based funding. The bigger the endowment gets the more money it prints for members on an annual basis. Maybe consider removing private schools from receiving funds from endowment. I am sure $200 for a uniform is a drop in the bucket for parents spending $13,000+ on HS tuition.

I tend to agree with OCDavis31 and others about making this political. Clearly what the NCHSAA has done has worked. Maybe make the connection to the state more formal. Just make it easy for the public to see how the money comes and goes, make sure system is as equitable as possible for members, and get in line with best practices on reserves.

Longtime reader, first time poster.

SportsNut17 is correct about revenue split. See page 69 of the 2020-2021 NCHSAA Handbook if you don't believe the quoted text in the threads.

I agree with you PrepFanNC, things need to change. It is a bit ridiculous that the NCHSAA has 17M of reserves on top of a 23M endowment. Seems like they have 4 years of reserves they should spend down and distribute to members based on 18-19 budget. I run a nonprofit and try to keep a year's worth of expenses in the bank. They definitely need to increase transparency. Like admitted by Sen. Sawyer yesterday, I don't think there is wrongdoing on the part of NCHSAA, the public just needs to easily see revenues and expenditures. Shouldn't have to track it down by asking staff for information like others have mentioned on this thread.

I do think the principal of the endowment funds should remain untouched. Personally, I think it is brilliant the endowment exists. Maybe don't add any more funds to it, I would continue adding, but certainly don't dismantle it. A 7 percent return on 23M is 1.6M per year (1.6M divided by 426 is $3,755, nothing to sneeze at). Improve the disbursement formula so rural communities, where there are less opportunities for sponsorship, are treated more equitably. Incorporate additional needs based funding. The bigger the endowment gets the more money it prints for members on an annual basis. Maybe consider removing private schools from receiving funds from endowment. I am sure $200 for a uniform is a drop in the bucket for parents spending $13,000+ on HS tuition.

I tend to agree with OCDavis31 and others about making this political. Clearly what the NCHSAA has done has worked. Maybe make the connection to the state more formal. Just make it easy for the public to see how the money comes and goes, make sure system is as equitable as possible for members, and get in line with best practices on reserves.
I was wrong then. Was misled by the show. Thanks for the link. Still a boat load of money to just be sitting there drawing interest.

Welcome aboard Maythebestwin. Great first post

Look forward to more post from you on here.

Optional to the extent they count and if you don’t play one you’re 1 win less than your opposition that plays one. All kinds of twist in that so called option.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT