ADVERTISEMENT

Let Them Play North Carolina!

Any traction to this yet? I doubt the NCHSAA will move football season up, no matter how many petitions there are.

This won't happen. Also Coach Gentry doesn't seem to realize kids could play 2 sports at once when the seasons overlap. Even though this has never been allowed when normal seasons happen.

This won't happen. Also Coach Gentry doesn't seem to realize kids could play 2 sports at once when the seasons overlap. Even though this has never been allowed when normal seasons happen.

So the basketball players can play football the 2 weeks that playoffs overlap the regular season?

They have to practice so many days to get pads. Football is unlike any other sport. You cant just hop off the basketball court put on pads and play

I think coach Gentry, as are all coaches, is aware of the ruling this year that allows dual participation. His argument is that it could be avoided if fall sports were played starting next month. The ruling is only necessary because the NCHSAA recognizes the problems some schools, players and parents are going to face as a result of the overlaps in sports seasons.

The rule poses many problems. If your QB or star running back happens to be a starter on a basketball team that is in the playoffs, some b-ball coaches may not want that player taking a chance of getting hurt on the football field. The same thing is going to happen when football overlaps the start of baseball by 2 weeks and longer if your football team makes the playoffs and advances. Coaches are already speculating on how many players they might lose because they prefer one sport over another.

NC is now one of only 11 states that is not playing football this fall. It's an embarresment! Just this week, Minnesota made the decision to play. Unless an LEA is still restricting their programs, most schools are holding some type of workouts and to my knowledge there haven't been any spikes or mass shutdowns. The same can be said for the NFL and college football. The alarmists will point to a situation like Baylor and of course certain "health experts" and the media are already warning that with cooler weather on the way deaths will double before the end of the year. I don't believe it.

Most coaches could have their teams ready in 3 weeks, maybe less. I'm with most posters in that I don't think NC will budge but if play started October 16th there are 10 Fridays through December 18th. That would be a 7 game regular season and 3 rounds of playoffs. Isn't that what has been proposed for spring?

Play ball!

Reactions: UNC91 and owen98
Kids can play two sports any time they wanted for last 50 years. Soccer players are always the kickers, playing both sports.

Reactions: superstar57
You are absolutely correct UNC91 but you using that soccer player/football kicker example is a poor one.

Yes, kids can dual participate. I've seen kids play soccer or baseball in the s[pring and also run track. As long as the coaches involved agree it can and has been done but I don't know of many schools that don't have unwritten rules where coaches agree that an athlete has to finish one sports season before he can start another. It's done as much to prevent a kid from quitting a sport to start another.

Football has had the luxury of being in the first sports season. FB coaches don't wait on kids. Winter sports teams have had to wait on fall sports athletes and spring sports coaches have had to wait on winter sports kids for 50 years.

Reactions: UNC91
You are absolutely correct UNC91 but you using that soccer player/football kicker example is a poor one.

Yes, kids can dual participate. I've seen kids play soccer or baseball in the s[pring and also run track. As long as the coaches involved agree it can and has been done but I don't know of many schools that don't have unwritten rules where coaches agree that an athlete has to finish one sports season before he can start another. It's done as much to prevent a kid from quitting a sport to start another.

Football has had the luxury of being in the first sports season. FB coaches don't wait on kids. Winter sports teams have had to wait on fall sports athletes and spring sports coaches have had to wait on winter sports kids for 50 years.

Thanks for the clearer explanation brother. Was driving into the office this morning. Only thing is, coaches have to sign off on it. We had a kid when I was in school 80s, would practice with us on the baseball diamond, then just SHOW UP at the track meet and win 100 200 and long jump every match. Some kids just have to show up...........

I think most coaches will play along out of necessity. These are "unprecedented times" as we've heard ad nauseum. Those that don't need to be called in on the principal's carpet. There is a group of recently graduated kids who never got their senior season. The hard cases need to realize that.

Football went on time here in Mo. Amid all the shutdowns, mandatory shutdowns and mask wearing. Most schools have split weeks, 2 days in the classroom and 2 days remote on line from home. The schools provide laptops for the remote part. Households without internet have their work delivered by the school bus drivers who run 4 days a week. Wednesday is for deep cleaning of the schools.

Are there problems, yes. Schools go on and off with partial remote and some have went to full remote. Our game this week was switched because of a lockdown of all students because of an outbreak of virus at our opponent. Dont know how the playoffs will go as some schools are not playing at all. Very little guidance or information from the state athletic assoc. Seems everything is left up to the schools/town. Our Gov. and his wife now have the virus. Stadiums have every other seat and every other row off limits (ours anyway) except for family groups. But the bands sit together in their section. Cheer leaders wear masks. Kind of funny hearing them try and yell....Mumph...Mumph....Phoo Bai....or what ever they are saying. I dont wear my hearing aids to games so it might be ok for others ..... o_O

Reactions: UNC91 and BK13T-$
Don't you people realize Uncle Roy is only doing this for your safety. After all we have to follow the science. Oh, I hope you don't expect the good folks at the NCHSAA office to try to buck Uncle Roy. IF YOU HAVEN'T VOTED YET, PLEASE CONSIDER MAKING UNCLE ROY A ONE TERM GOVERNER

Don't you people realize Uncle Roy is only doing this for your safety. After all we have to follow the science. Oh, I hope you don't expect the good folks at the NCHSAA office to try to buck Uncle Roy. IF YOU HAVEN'T VOTED YET, PLEASE CONSIDER MAKING UNCLE ROY A ONE TERM GOVERNER

The only reason he got elected was because Old Pat screwed up big time with that bathroom bill.

But yes, Que Tucker aint got the gumption to step up and think for herself.

One thing is for sure, as long as the polls keep showing the Guv with a safe lead and more than 50% of people approving of his handling of COVID, there will be no football this fall in North Carolina even if all of the other 49 states play.

I suppose 2020 will go down as the most screwed up year in the history of this country. Take into account the covid, the shut downs because of covid, the hurricanes, the fires in Calif, the political unrest, the violence and rioting and the loss of HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL; I'm more than ready to put this year behind us. Praying for times to get better.

I suppose 2020 will go down as the most screwed up year in the history of this country. Take into account the covid, the shut downs because of covid, the hurricanes, the fires in Calif, the political unrest, the violence and rioting and the loss of HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL; I'm more than ready to put this year behind us. Praying for times to get better.
Hurricanes and fires in Cali can be considered normal.

Reactions: SPRaiders78
As much as i love to criticize Que tucker and the NCHSAA, while I have some major issues with the format theyve chosen for HS sports this year, the decision to not play in the fall was basically out of their hands. With the governor's mandates and school systems not having kids in school (many are still not even doing workouts), it is just not feasible to have HS football in the fall. IF you ave an issue, the governor should draw your ire, not the NCHSAA

Now, I think they deserve plenty of criticism for a lot of things, including the way they split up seasons, only allowing 2 games per week in many sports, etc. But the decsion to not play in the fall was not really theirs.

There is plenty of responsibility to spread around about the decision. I won’t say blame because that implies that the decisions are all wrong, and I don’t believe that.

For example, Thomasville City School system’s superintendent and school board unanimously agreed that, regardless of the Governor‘s order, they cannot safely bring kids back to school until at least October 16th. That’s based on guidance from the CDC, state and local boards of health and school nurses. They also don’t believe they can play sports while kids are remote.

I read this morning that Guilford County schools will have high school students back in the buildings......in January 2021.

Every school system is different, from a size standpoint to financial consideration. They will hopefully make the best decisions for their system. But to think that a fall football season is practical with so much difference between those systems and their needs is not logical. I very much hope that spring football, with all of its challenge, will go smoothly.

Agree somewhat with No Mercy. This was not all the doing of the NCHSAA or was it?

Their decision to allow LEA's to determine when teams could start working this summer allowed local politics to dictate. Those who claim "the science" was applied to phasing back in are kidding themselves. I would almost guarantee that there is a relationship between the political leanings of those leading each LEA and how they have allowed, or are allowing, teams to work and how they are handling the reopenings of their schools. It's not surprising that Guilford County is not bringing their high school students back until January 20th. Also, I'm sure it's a coincidence but has anyone realized that is inauguration day?

Reactions: BK13T-$
Agree somewhat with No Mercy. This was not all the doing of the NCHSAA or was it?

Their decision to allow LEA's to determine when teams could start working this summer allowed local politics to dictate. Those who claim "the science" was applied to phasing back in are kidding themselves. I would almost guarantee that there is a relationship between the political leanings of those leading each LEA and how they have allowed, or are allowing, teams to work and how they are handling the reopenings of their schools. It's not surprising that Guilford County is not bringing their high school students back until January 20th. Also, I'm sure it's a coincidence but has anyone realized that is inauguration day?
That’s one of many reasons that I’m glad Thomasville has an appointed, not elected, school board. Politics has no place in these decisions either way.

Reactions: ITJ
That’s one of many reasons that I’m glad Thomasville has an appointed, not elected, school board. Politics has no place in these decisions either way.
Sorry, OC, anyone who believes there is no politics involved in appointed school boards is living in LaLa land.

Those who do the appointing are normally elected officials who are political. Is that the case in Thomasville?

Reactions: UNC91 and Mhsneer
So the basketball players can play football the 2 weeks that playoffs overlap the regular season?

It takes about 3 weeks to go from football to basketball shape. It probably will take longer to go from basketball to football. You sure aren’t going to play both in the same week without rupturing something

Reactions: 97Cougar
Sorry, OC, anyone who believes there is no politics involved in appointed school boards is living in LaLa land.

Those who do the appointing are normally elected officials who are political. Is that the case in Thomasville?
Thomasville’s city council appoints the board of education. The city council races are at large, non-partisan. As best I can tell, among the seven council and one mayor positions, there are three Republicans, one Democrat and four unaffiliated. Thomasville itself is slightly more Democrat and unaffiliated than Republican, while Davidson County is very Republican.
As one county commissioner once said, “there’s politics in the PTA.”. But generally, partisan politics plays no part in city council or school board in Thomasville.

The only reason he got elected was because Old Pat screwed up big time with that bathroom bill.

I'm still amazed at how Que Tucker got the job to start with. It's time for a change of leadership in the NCHSAA with politics being removed in the process. The organization should be ran with the schools and the kids being put first, not the beliefs of one individual.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Guys, unfortunately politics are in just about everything. Heck there is Politics in my neighborhood watch organization, And don’t even ask about Churches. Politics at work, in families. Every d@€¥ where.

Reactions: UNC91
There’s a difference between politics and rancorous partisan politics. The latter is destroying our country....on both sides.

Reactions: mbdfan
Thomasville’s city council appoints the board of education. The city council races are at large, non-partisan. As best I can tell, among the seven council and one mayor positions, there are three Republicans, one Democrat and four unaffiliated. Thomasville itself is slightly more Democrat and unaffiliated than Republican, while Davidson County is very Republican.
As one county commissioner once said, “there’s politics in the PTA.”. But generally, partisan politics plays no part in city council or school board in Thomasville.
Now that is interesting, OC.

Reidsville has a seven member non-partisan elected city council, including the Mayor.

There are six Democrats and one RINO who always votes with the Democrats.

Strange thing is if Reidsville had partisan elections most of the people elected to Council would be Republicans even though Reidsville is by far the most Democrat part of Rockingham County. The county is heavily Republican.

And yes Reidsville City Council is quite partisan. You are blessed that partisan politics plays no part in Thomasville.

The bathroom bill was not what cost McCory the election. McCory proposed and supported making I77 through Charlotte a toll road. Normally the I77 corridor votes heavily Republican but in 2016 McCory was wiped out in Mecklenburg County and the I77 corridor because of the toll road issue. Normally he would have won Mecklenburg County easily. Because of the toll road issue he lost the state by about 10,000 votes.

The bathroom bill was not what cost McCory the election. McCory proposed and supported making I77 through Charlotte a toll road. Normally the I77 corridor votes heavily Republican but in 2016 McCory was wiped out in Mecklenburg County and the I77 corridor because of the toll road issue. Normally he would have won Mecklenburg County easily. Because of the toll road issue he lost the state by about 10,000 votes.
Hillary Clinton won Mecklenburg County 62 percent to Trump’s 33 in 2016. I suspect that had a lot to do with the governor’s race.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT