ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s Dicuss the Dreaded “R” word Again

FOOTBALLFANTIC

Nov 16, 2001
There’s a good article from Highschoolot.com regarding a new realignment idea, possibly an opportunity for change during the pandemic.Thoughts? It would be a great discussion. Read the article and let’s chat.

I understand the concept but I don't think it would work very well, state wide. In Gaston County where I live, I don't think Bessemer City and Cherryville would benefit from playing Ashbrook, Forestview, Hunter Huss and South Point on a yearly basis. Yea they might save money on travel but I can't see it helping at the gate. But what do I know? I don't think there is any realignment plan that would work for all schools.

I understand the concept but I don't think it would work very well, state wide. In Gaston County where I live, I don't think Bessemer City and Cherryville would benefit from playing Ashbrook, Forestview, Hunter Huss and South Point on a yearly basis. Yea they might save money on travel but I can't see it helping at the gate. But what do I know? I don't think there is any realignment plan that would work for all schools.
I recently heard that there is a big push from many of the Gaston County schools to have a split 2A/3A all Gaston county conference. I thought the state wanted to avoid split conferences. I think that saving money on travel and ease of scheduling was the main reason for this. I know the travel in expensive traveling to Rutherford County and the gate money is also a factor. I don't understand it though. Cleveland County is right next door. I don't think the travel from GC to CC is bad.

I recently heard that there is a big push from many of the Gaston County schools to have a split 2A/3A all Gaston county conference. I thought the state wanted to avoid split conferences. I think that saving money on travel and ease of scheduling was the main reason for this. I know the travel in expensive traveling to Rutherford County and the gate money is also a factor. I don't understand it though. Cleveland County is right next door. I don't think the travel from GC to CC is bad.
They don't want split conferences, until they do. This idea would solve the problem of outliers like Murphy & Reynolds have experienced in the past and currently TC Roberson; who were/are abnormally large schools for their region but don't want to be realigned off to play in a conference 60+ miles away. They can play local and still schedule some quality non-conference games to build their rating.

I'm sure there are drawbacks that I'm not presently thinking of.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT