ADVERTISEMENT

Legislature Meeting 4 PM — NCHSAA Future

[QUOTE="strikerHHS, post: 674441, member: 7809"
ha you know you love stirring the pot. you read all 6 pages, right? then surely you noticed we had all finally come to a peaceful/friendly stopping point.
[/QUOTE]

I guess before you chose to throw me under the bus, you should have read all six pages as well. Who said I was shocked by the conversation that followed my comment? Friend you also need to look back at post number 202 on this thread. You do a lot of reading between the lines. Stuff that’s not on paper or isn’t even in my mind. I assume from your reply above attacking me, you are not a Christian. If I’m wrong I apologize for that as There are those out there who would attack Catholic, Charlotte Christian or any other religious based school.

The people I have met from Lenoir on South Point’s trips up there, have been more than kind. I was there for the Hibriten- Shelby game the year y’all won the state and sat on the home side. The folks I sat around were great. For whatever reason you seen to have a chip on your shoulder. So sorry I offend you.

... going to be physical game and it was. I think the incident you are referring to had nothing to do with spitting. The outstanding scholar and gentleman from CCHS will remain nameless, but I can confirm there was not a flag called for a late hit but the play ended up with the CCHS player in the Maiden Bench area. There was definitely some communication that followed which included a double dose of the bird plus a crotch grab and maybe some very pleasant language challenging the whole Maiden sideline, their fans, the cheerleaders and the coaching staff. Bear in mind the player in question was an underclassman and had not yet been to Sister Rosalind's manner school....
Is this the same player who, as a freshman, got so worked up playing that he actually terrorized the entire Harding team ? Story confirmed by a Oddo male.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
[QUOTE="strikerHHS, post: 674441, member: 7809"
ha you know you love stirring the pot. you read all 6 pages, right? then surely you noticed we had all finally come to a peaceful/friendly stopping point.

I guess before you chose to throw me under the bus, you should have read all six pages as well. Who said I was shocked by the conversation that followed my comment? Friend you also need to look back at post number 202 on this thread. You do a lot of reading between the lines. Stuff that’s not on paper or isn’t even in my mind. I assume from your reply above attacking me, you are not a Christian. If I’m wrong I apologize for that as There are those out there who would attack Catholic, Charlotte Christian or any other religious based school.

The people I have met from Lenoir on South Point’s trips up there, have been more than kind. I was there for the Hibriten- Shelby game the year y’all won the state and sat on the home side. The folks I sat around were great. For whatever reason you seen to have a chip on your shoulder. So sorry I offend you.
[/QUOTE]

I’m good. I don’t need to re-read it, I LIVED it.

“I by no means was trying to move the discussion to religion” — it’s pretty evident you were surprised it moved in that direction.

“There may be two posters on the whole thing that wants Catholic out. There will always be hot heads out there, folks that don’t like who you are or what you stand for.”
— you better believe i’m gonna push back on this nonsense. i never once took a cheap shot at catholicism. not my style.

Happy to hear you’ve enjoyed your trips up to Lenoir. I bet some of those kind people are members of the First United Methodist Church … the church I grew up in and where I was baptized. I’m not sure why you feel the need to make assumptions about my faith, but there you go.

**You were on the home side for the 2AA Western Finals vs Shelby (2017)? Where were you for the 2018 rematch? We could’ve used you!**

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Reading between the lines yet again. I don’t recall accusing you of taking cheap shots at Catholic. Ok I just reread my post. I suppose the way it was written it would indicate I accused you of taking a cheap shot at Catholic. Not intended.
I simply attempted to say there are those out there who would.

Na, they were Southern Baptist !

That trip in 17 was when I realized I needed heart surgery. I thought I was going to have a heart attack before I got back to the truck.

I don’t want to argue with you. I don’t understand why you feel the need to go on the offensive and attack when you disagree with others. Let me go eat with 14 and you and I’ll bring the Parmesan cheese.

Reading between the lines yet again. I don’t recall accusing you of taking cheap shots at Catholic. Ok I just reread my post. I suppose the way it was written it would indicate I accused you of taking a cheap shot at Catholic. Not intended.
I simply attempted to say there are those out there who would.

Na, they were Southern Baptist !

That trip in 17 was when I realized I needed heart surgery. I thought I was going to have a heart attack before I got back to the truck.

I don’t want to argue with you. I don’t understand why you feel the need to go on the offensive and attack when you disagree with others. Let me go eat with 14 and you and I’ll bring the Parmesan cheese.
We need Moozadell as it as it called too, can you pick some up on the way??

There needs to be a few tweeks made with the Parochials.

Catholic and Bishop McGuiness playing up a class would reduce their titles.

Requiring the student athlete to be a member of the Catholic Church for two years before playing sports would tame Cardinal Gibbons and Bishop. Not an issue at Charlotte Catholic.

The South Carolina thing is blown out of proportion. Every border county in that state probably has students from the neighboring state. IF they meet the Local Education Authority rules for eligibility for attendance they can participate in athletics. The SC border is literally four miles from the front door of Charlotte Catholic.
One point. Catholic played in 4A for a few years as one of the smallest schools and held their own. They are now "playing up" again as enrollment just squeaked them back to 4A. Even with some of the rivalries over the years with Monroe, Country Day, Forest Hills and recently with Weddington, the desire has always been to play the local Charlotte schools and they were scheduled as often as possible even going back to the 70s' for out of conference games. Typically better gate. Less travel. Kids know each other.

Full disclosure. Catholic has also benefitted from a few non Catholic players over the years but very few. A non Catholic college prospect would simply find it too punitive. Lose a year of eligibility if transferring in, pay a higher tuition rate if not a participating member in one of the local churches, the religion aspect (it is a denominational school)... and the possibilities get narrowed down if not eliminated pretty quickly. It also probably doesn't help that the wing-T offense is designed to shorten a game and reduce athletic advantage if executed well. Good for smaller, well coached athletes but not what most colleges are playing at any level.

Reactions: Hog_1982 and Ladge
? I understand the CC plays by the rules the are given. Why do they not want to be in the private division since they are a private school. If CC was in the private division would it reduce the number of championships in other sports. Just wondering.
Outside of 3, maybe 4 teams in the immediate Charlotte, the competitive level in football for the privates falls off quickly. Playing nationally ranked teams from Maryland, Georgia, Louisiana can be a novelty and can be fun, but having a schedule requiring extensive travel is cost prohibitive for most schools. Even going back to the 70's, the goal was to play local teams in the community and be part of something bigger. Their first years in the NCHSAA, they only won 1 or 2 games in football, total. Nobody complained. They were on everyone's homecoming date as a sure win. Oddo came in and changed that. They have always struggled in basketball. Won a state championship a few years ago with a 6' 9" freshman phenom who left after one year. Dominance in girls swimming. C'mon. The director of SwimMAC, one of the best regional swim programs in the nation and just down the street from Catholic, had his daughters go there, joined by a number of others in that program over the years. Three or four elite swimmers with one team can dominate a state meet. No complaints about boys swimming. No complaints about baseball, track and field, girls basketball, wrestling, volleyball, and other sports where they have been competitive in some years but anything but dominant.

I guess my response is why do so many people want them out? Catholic bigotry? Simply don't like seeing someone else succeed, especially with less talented but extremely well coached athletes? Answer me one question: If they were perennial losers in every sport, would you be happy or would you still hate the fact that you have to compete against them?

Reactions: Hog_1982
It’s not “recruiting” in the sense that we all think of (all who know football). I’m not talking about a situation where charlotte catholic is actively recruiting talent like a college football program.

Of course kids are going to other schools. There are obviously many options in Charlotte.

The point is we all have a small district in our little towns where kids are assigned to schools based on where they live. Some schools do have open enrollment when space is available and a kid can choose within his county.

You don’t have these geographical line restrictions. Everyone within a 25 mile radius (multiple counties) or Catholic is an available option for you. 25 miles in a near 1M metro population.

You have access to waaaay more students. that’s an advantage to have all of mecklenberg county and beyond. move charlotte catholic campus to caldwell county and see if you get the same results. not gonna happen — i don’t care how good the work ethic is.

“Recruiting” means Charlotte Catholic chooses their students/athletes. They have the option of saying yes/no to any kid. The rest of us do not have that. If you get to pick 100 kids and I get assigned 100 kids … you’re obviously in a better situation.
Catholic chooses their athletes? Duh. You are pretty cavalier with the word "choose." They take as many qualified students as are willing to come. Outside of behavioral or academic issues, no Catholic family is turned away. That behavioral and academic standard is strictly enforced after admission so students are lost every year. Oh yes, they have to pay tuition also. Many D1 prospects choose to go elsewhere. Many Catholic families would like to send their kids there but simply can't afford it. There is a financial assistance program but you have to show need and be a participating member of a Catholic parish. However, if you accept financial assistance, you ARE NOT allowed to play sports. Period. After that and a number of other restrictions, then they get to "select" their athletes from the student body. A number of yahoos on this board call that "recruiting." You temper it by calling it "choosing" and "picking." Is the situation better? I challenge you on that. Is it different? I concede some points on that but many of those differences are not advantageous.

Rowan County schools did the same thing in 2012. The only reason the votes don’t pass is because soooo many people abstain. Admin deep in the mountains or way east or wherever don’t pay enough attention to matters. I’ll find the numbers for you.

A) My brother-in-law is the current Country Day coach — i’ll figure out how much he was paid for those remarks. 🙂

B) That quote wouldn’t get anyone to consider changing their minds. It would come across as private school coaching fraternity supporting each other. Those are powerful words … if they’re coming from a public school coach or a group of them.
Yes, a lot of people abstained in that vote. I will give you another interpretation. Many school administrations looked at this motion and said, "What? This crap again." The abstention was the same as a no vote. Votes in many cases were not cast out of protest. They looked at the absurdity of wasting time, again, that could have been better spent on more productive activities. At a minimum, those abstentions chose not to be bothered and went to no effort to support the motion that you imply was so important. You say that many administrations didn't pay attention to matters. I would suggest that maybe they did.

Additionally, if you want powerful words from public schools, Mecklenburg County public schools showed up en mass at the first attempt to oust Catholic from the NCHSAA. These were 4A schools. Several would scrimmage or play Catholic in a non conference games but Catholic was 2A at the time. The consistent message was the following. "If they are recruiting, we are the ones that would be suffering. We have lost no athletes that have transferred to Catholic. We have benefitted from several that have transferred from Catholic." They consistently stated that if Catholic were truly recruiting, they don't know from where.

Reactions: Hog_1982 and Ladge
So CC doesn’t have to teach state standards. I would guess teachers aren’t paid by the state or have state retirement.
In reality they don't have to teach state, regional and national standards. In practice they strictly adhere to them. A key goal is to get their students into a college education and they have a stellar track record of doing so. Universities would view the academics as compromised if they didn't and penalize those students seeking admission.

On the payroll front, they are not paid by the state or have state retirement. On the whole, compensation was viewed a slightly less advantageous that the public school system. As the child of a career faculty member at the school, I can speak first hand. The quality of life, however, was better as academic and behavioral standards are strict for entry and staying in the school. Chronic problems were not allowed to remain. A matter of tradeoffs.

Reactions: Hog_1982 and Appvol
refute what? charlotte catholic’s lack of division 1 talent?

Women’s Swimming: Jane Donahue (Penn St), Madeline Menkhaus (Notre Dame), Julia Menkhaus (UVA), Olivia Rhodes (TCU), Julia Neal (UNCW), Alina Stout (Vanderbilt), Mary Hesler (Navy), Erin Gaeckle (Tennessee), Christine Sullivan (Villanova), Katy Miller (Pitt), Kerianna McAfee (UNC), Victoria Dichak (Towson), Elsa Welshofer (Princeton), Nora McCullagh (Texas), Lauren Rhodes (NC State), Maria Sheridan (Duke), Erin McCullagh (Navy), Mariel Green (BC), Abigail Parks (UNCA), Meredith Applegate (Miami-OH), Emma Tomaszewski (Stony Brook)

The list goes on and on. It’s almost comical. You sure you want to compare THIS to a public school? It ain’t the X’s and O’s, it’s the Jimmy’s and Joe’s … 😉
All elite swimmers, some on a national stage. Pretty much all MACSwim members, one of the more respected regional swimming programs in the nation. I can assure you that these athletes did not go to Catholic to be part of the swim team. They were MACSwim athletes that just happened to go to Catholic. In the Charlotte area, regardless where you go to high school, MACSwim and the other year round programs are the one's developing the swimming talent for college scholarships, not the high school programs. Makes for a good talking point on a thread that has been pretty much focused on football however.

Reactions: strikerHHS
That’s my point about changing my life for the better. So if CC was in the private division could they then give athletic scholarships to help change other kids life for the better.
The purpose and charter of the school is not to better other kid's lives through athletic scholarships. They do give scholarships out of financial need and are standing members in a parish. Are they bettering and changing kids lives? However, if you accept financial assistance, you are not allowed to play sports at Catholic. The school doesn't exist for sports and athletic scholarship is not the vehicle to change lives there. Sports are important and there is a lot of tradition, but it is not the focal point. Sounds like you want to rewrite the charter and mission for Charlotte Catholic.

You told me student athletes could go somewhere else if the wanted a Christian education. I guess students athletes that want a Catholic Education and learn about the Catholic Way just can’t at CC if they can’t afford the tuition.
Absolutely they can. They just can't play sports if they accept financial assistance to do so. One of the many rules and restrictions that Catholic was willing to adhere to be part of the NCHSAA.

Outside of 3, maybe 4 teams in the immediate Charlotte, the competitive level in football for the privates falls off quickly. Playing nationally ranked teams from Maryland, Georgia, Louisiana can be a novelty and can be fun, but having a schedule requiring extensive travel is cost prohibitive for most schools. Even going back to the 70's, the goal was to play local teams in the community and be part of something bigger. Their first years in the NCHSAA, they only won 1 or 2 games in football, total. Nobody complained. They were on everyone's homecoming date as a sure win. Oddo came in and changed that. They have always struggled in basketball. Won a state championship a few years ago with a 6' 9" freshman phenom who left after one year. Dominance in girls swimming. C'mon. The director of SwimMAC, one of the best regional swim programs in the nation and just down the street from Catholic, had his daughters go there, joined by a number of others in that program over the years. Three or four elite swimmers with one team can dominate a state meet. No complaints about boys swimming. No complaints about baseball, track and field, girls basketball, wrestling, volleyball, and other sports where they have been competitive in some years but anything but dominant.

I guess my response is why do so many people want them out? Catholic bigotry? Simply don't like seeing someone else succeed, especially with less talented but extremely well coached athletes? Answer me one question: If they were perennial losers in every sport, would you be happy or would you still hate the fact that you have to compete against them?
I never said I wanted you out.I have said you guys play by the rules the NCHSAA gave you. My only point was that some students athletes who can’t afford to go CC would have to choose between sports or the Catholic education if they need financial aid. It could be a few kids or a lot. I shared a article on why Knoxville Catholic went to the private division in TN. Just seems some posters don’t want to acknowledge this or their response is they can get a different Christian education even though the student athlete wants a Catholic education.

"CatholicCougs14, post: 674499, member: 4892"]

Where does it come from, the hardware store or Sherrington-Williams? And what exactly do you do with Moozadell? Is it a rat killer or a hole filler? Give me a heads up and time to round some up and I’ll bring it!

"CatholicCougs14, post: 674499, member: 4892"]

Where does it come from, the hardware store or Sherrington-Williams? And what exactly do you do with Moozadell? Is it a rat killer or a hole filler? Give me a heads up and time to round some up and I’ll bring it!
One might say it could be all of those things!

Yes, a lot of people abstained in that vote. I will give you another interpretation. Many school administrations looked at this motion and said, "What? This crap again." The abstention was the same as a no vote. Votes in many cases were not cast out of protest. They looked at the absurdity of wasting time, again, that could have been better spent on more productive activities. At a minimum, those abstentions chose not to be bothered and went to no effort to support the motion that you imply was so important. You say that many administrations didn't pay attention to matters. I would suggest that maybe they did.

Additionally, if you want powerful words from public schools, Mecklenburg County public schools showed up en mass at the first attempt to oust Catholic from the NCHSAA. These were 4A schools. Several would scrimmage or play Catholic in a non conference games but Catholic was 2A at the time. The consistent message was the following. "If they are recruiting, we are the ones that would be suffering. We have lost no athletes that have transferred to Catholic. We have benefitted from several that have transferred from Catholic." They consistently stated that if Catholic were truly recruiting, they don't know from where.

Don’t you think they might want to consider abandoning that philosophy? Every time there’s a vote, it’s getting closer and closer to not going CC’s way.

Abstaining is a bold move since you have no idea how it’s going to turn out. Why take the chance? If they want CC to stay, say so definitively with your ballot.

I have a suggestion.

Why don't the posters who want to discuss Charlotte Catholic and/or religion just start your own thread so you won't bore the rest of us with your constant chatter?

I have a suggestion.

Why don't the posters who want to discuss Charlotte Catholic and/or religion just start your own thread so you won't bore the rest of us with your constant chatter?

why would we start an entirely separate thread? parochial school inclusion is one of the key differences between nchsaa and the proposed hb91 legislation.

i 100% agree with you regarding religion. it’s an irrelevant talking point.

I never said I wanted you out.I have said you guys play by the rules the NCHSAA gave you. My only point was that some students athletes who can’t afford to go CC would have to choose between sports or the Catholic education if they need financial aid. It could be a few kids or a lot. I shared a article on why Knoxville Catholic went to the private division in TN. Just seems some posters don’t want to acknowledge this or their response is they can get a different Christian education even though the student athlete wants a Catholic education.
You have asked the same question 4 times and have yet to received an answer you approve. You going to keep asking until you do? You may have not said you wanted Catholic out, your actions say otherwise. Your bigotry is evident to anyone who can read. For the last time, Catholic wants no part of a situation like Tn's TSSAA aka a private league. Don't care if a TN Catholic hs call themselves a private school. Get through your thick skull, the answer is no

I know you have said before that you didn't care about your spelling ( and sentence structure) ,- if you post crap again, I'm not going attemp to read it

• Sad
Reactions: BK13T-$
You have asked the same question 4 times and have yet to received an answer you approve. You going to keep asking until you do? You may have not said you wanted Catholic out, your actions say otherwise. Your bigotry is evident to anyone who can read. For the last time, Catholic wants no part of a situation like Tn's TSSAA aka a private league. Don't care if a TN Catholic hs call themselves a private school. Get through your thick skull, the answer is no

I know you have said before that you didn't care about your spelling ( and sentence structure) ,- if you post crap again, I'm not going attemp to read it
Think I was replying to the other poster that quoted my post. It’s funny you try so hard to critique my post though.

Reactions: BK13T-$
This may be the greatest post ever. LOL.
They don’t understand brilliance man. This thread had so much potential but with the 8 to 10 most boring people in the world spewing straight up bull feces it just because lame.

This once vibrant place is dead. It’s legends gone. In their place are these clowns and they don’t have the charisma of a dead house fly.

They don’t understand brilliance man. This thread had so much potential but with the 8 to 10 most boring people in the world spewing straight up bull feces it just because lame.

This once vibrant place is dead. It’s legends gone. In their place are these clowns and they don’t have the charisma of a dead house fly.
Yes, this crowd would not survive the old crew getting back on here and unleashing. We were brutal and then could go to dinner and watch a game together. Too many Karen's on here now.

Sounds like a Marston brother
I think it was actually West Charlotte in a scrimmage. They went to the semi's that year in 4A but had a real bad day in that scrimmage. Catholic was extremely good that year at the beginning of the season but lost 4 key starters by mid season. Death at the 2A level.

Reactions: Ladge
We'll save the story of the season where Catholic had to play in pink football pants. Quite emasculating .....
Actually not so emasculating. The first two games were home, they were matched with red jerseys. Catholic's poor lighting was blamed for creating an optical illusion. 1st away game, they got matched with white jerseys and there was no doubt. Players were told they had to be tough to play in pink pants. No resources to buy new pants but fortunately the intensity faded over the season. Today, we would just dole out pink socks, say they were honoring breast cancer month and be done with it.

Actually not so emasculating. The first two games were home, they were matched with red jerseys. Catholic's poor lighting was blamed for creating an optical illusion. 1st away game, they got matched with white jerseys and there was no doubt. Players were told they had to be tough to play in pink pants. No resources to buy new pants but fortunately the intensity faded over the season. Today, we would just dole out pink socks, say they were honoring breast cancer month and be done with it.
Actually Healy wash the game shirt (red) together with the game game. Thought he could get done faster. There was no optital illusion. There were pink. It was my Jr yr and I was stuck in a pair of those pants. And yes they emasculating

I think it was actually West Charlotte in a scrimmage. They went to the semi's that year in 4A but had a real bad day in that scrimmage. Catholic was extremely good that year at the beginning of the season but lost 4 key starters by mid season. Death at the 2A level.
I heard it was Harding but if you want to change to WC fine me me..

Because you so want Catholic out and it's easy
Show me where I want Catholic out. The only thing you have typed so far Waterhead is that I’m a racist because you could not figure out a avatar and that I’m a bigot. You are about to run out of things to call me. Bless your heart!

Yes, this crowd would not survive the old crew getting back on here and unleashing. We were brutal and then could go to dinner and watch a game together. Too many Karen's on here now.
Sorry for being such a Karen, we're too busy fighting for Catholic right to exist in the public school league. Your free to follow any channels. If Catholic goes, I won't have a need to be back...

Show me where I want Catholic out. The only thing you have typed so far Waterhead is that I’m a racist because you could not figure out a avatar and that I’m a bigot. You are about to run out of things to call me. Bless your heart!
Then why did you ask "Why doesn't Catholic form something like Tn's TSSAA" over and over and again... until CC14 had to tell you to stop brother him?

You love Tn so much, I just pointed problem with Tn, ie the birthplace of the KKK. It was later when I came up with the idea that your pict look like burning crosses.... it became apparent.

It is "Bless your little heart" for future reference

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT