ADVERTISEMENT

Legislature Meeting 4 PM — NCHSAA Future

Wasn’t the ? I asked if they played in the private division could they then give athletic scholarships to kids.

Why do you consider CC a community school? How would you consider CC a community school if they don’t get any state and federal funding?
Because it is a community of faith. I’d say 96%+ are active members at a Catholic parish in Charlotte. I could go to any church in the county and see CC families. Catholic is unique in the community it has, really close knit and feels like a community you’d find in a one HS county.

Because it is a community of faith. I’d say 96%+ are active members at a Catholic parish in Charlotte. I could go to any church in the county and see CC families. Catholic is unique in the community it has, really close knit and feels like a community you’d find in a one HS county.
Could send me an email - I'll know it you by your address. my address is glechnc@earthlink.net

Reactions: CatholicCougs14
We do not give scholarships. If a family wants one they can go to PD, CD, Christian or Latin. They can change his life too. My parents sacrificed tons to send my brother and I through Catholic. Watching them do that changed my life for the better.
That’s my point about changing my life for the better. So if CC was in the private division could they then give athletic scholarships to help change other kids life for the better.

I understand that but that’s not the definition of a Community School.

Reactions: BK13T-$
That’s my point about changing my life for the better. So if CC was in the private division could they then give athletic scholarships to help change other kids life for the better.
This is a really weird argument. We change kids lives for the better already. If a family wants a Catholic or private education the options in Charlotte are numerous. If they’re looking for scholarships there are 4 great schools they can look at.

This is a really weird argument. We change kids lives for the better already. If a family wants a Catholic or private education the options in Charlotte are numerous. If they’re looking for scholarships there are 4 great schools they can look at.
Ok I’m not arguing just asked if CC was in the private division could the give athletic scholarships. So I guess you don’t think there are other kids and families lives you could change. What if a non believer got in CC accepted the Catholic Religion isn’t that a good thing.

Ok I’m not arguing just asked if CC was in the private division could the give athletic scholarships. So I guess you don’t think there are other kids and families lives you could change. What if a non believer got in CC accepted the Catholic Religion isn’t that a good thing.
This has to be the strangest argument I have ever seen for CC playing in private league. Kudos to you for coming up with a unique one that I've never seen before, but I'm done discussing this with you.

• Haha
This has to be the strangest argument I have ever seen for CC playing in private league. Kudos to you for coming up with a unique one that I've never seen before, but I'm done discussing this with you.
It’s not a argument. Just wondering. I know that in the vote that Catholic was voted to out but not enough percentage voted. So I understand CC is going by what the NCHSAA agreed upon.

Tell me why YOU want to stay in the public division. What would be so bad about going to the private division.

It’s not a argument. Just wondering. I know that in the vote that Catholic was voted to out but not enough percentage voted. So I understand CC is going by what the NCHSAA agreed upon.

Tell me why YOU want to stay in the public division. What would be so bad about going to the private division.
The best competition is in the NCHSAA across most all sports. In our own conference Weddington, Marvin and Cuthbertson took home multiple titles and had multiple runner up finishes across other sports. Weddington winning two state titles in football in that time.
Also, we have been a member of the NCHSAA for over 50 years, why change? We follow the rules, as tango said people look at us and scrutinize us more than most other schools. When you transfer to CC unless your previous school signs a waiver you must sit out 365 days before you are eligible for athletic competition. I can count on both hands how many transfers we've had since 2010(all sat out the 365 except a few who had the waiver signed), less than the amount Hough brings in on a yearly basis.
Also, we've developed excellent rivalries in the NCHSAA over those 50 years whether it was Monroe, Forest Hills or Maiden in the 2A days, to AL Brown in 3A and in 4A we had two excellent games with Vance, have a shot to continue games with Weddington and MR and will play Butler which should be a fantastic matchup.
Why go to a lesser league? We're playing 4A ball now and probably will for the foreseeable future so what's the problem?
By the way, it is an argument. Like I said I give you credit because that argument is so out of left field it is impressive.

• Love
Reactions: Hog_1982
The best competition is in the NCHSAA across most all sports. In our own conference Weddington, Marvin and Cuthbertson took home multiple titles and had multiple runner up finishes across other sports. Weddington winning two state titles in football in that time.
Also, we have been a member of the NCHSAA for over 50 years, why change? We follow the rules, as tango said people look at us and scrutinize us more than most other schools. When you transfer to CC unless your previous school signs a waiver you must sit out 365 days before you are eligible for athletic competition. I can count on both hands how many transfers we've had since 2010(all sat out the 365 except a few who had the waiver signed), less than the amount Hough brings in on a yearly basis.
Also, we've developed excellent rivalries in the NCHSAA over those 50 years whether it was Monroe, Forest Hills or Maiden in the 2A days, to AL Brown in 3A and in 4A we had two excellent games with Vance, have a shot to continue games with Weddington and MR and will play Butler which should be a fantastic matchup.
Why go to a lesser league? We're playing 4A ball now and probably will for the foreseeable future so what's the problem?
By the way, it is an argument. Like I said I give you credit because that argument is so out of left field it is impressive.
Thanks for the answer. You believe the private league competition wouldn’t be as good then. I understand you guys are going by the rules that the NCHSAA set. It would be neat to see how good CC could get if it went private and started giving out athletic scholarships.Might be a National Powerhouse.

Striker, did you ever follow up with your BIL with whatever question you were going to ask him?

This has been an interesting thread, lots of people get touchy when things get questioned and the first thing said is "you're just jealous".....don't think its jealousy, just think everyone wants to see a level playing field.

Reactions: strikerHHS
Thanks for the answer. You believe the private league competition wouldn’t be as good then. I understand you guys are going by the rules that the NCHSAA set. It would be neat to see how good CC could get if it went private and started giving out athletic scholarships.Might be a National Powerhouse.
I know you would love see this, not going to happen. We are very happy exactly where we are – Providing our opposing fans with an excuse as why their teams lost – “they recruit..”. We probably run one of “cleanest” programs in the state. How can I claim this, because we have hundreds of fans looking for the slightest mis-step and can't wait to run screaming "cheat, cheat, etc”. I’m waiting for the first HS football, of an opponent, to go on record stating that "Catholic cheat”. ...crickets…...

I know you would love see this, not going to happen. We are very happy exactly where we are – Providing our opposing fans with an excuse as why their teams lost – “they recruit..”. We probably run one of “cleanest” programs in the state. How can I claim this, because we have hundreds of fans looking for the slightest mis-step and can't wait to run screaming "cheat, cheat, etc”. I’m waiting for the first HS football, of an opponent, to go on record stating that "Catholic cheat”. ...crickets…...
I never said you cheat or would love to see you go to the private. I think there could be more pros than cons by being in the private division. You could still play the really good teams in the Charlotte area or teams out of state.

Read this article and tell me where Knoxville Catholic was wrong for going to the private division. Even the Sister called Knox Catholic a private school.

Striker, did you ever follow up with your BIL with whatever question you were going to ask him?

This has been an interesting thread, lots of people get touchy when things get questioned and the first thing said is "you're just jealous".....don't think its jealousy, just think everyone wants to see a level playing field.

I was just kidding. He and my sister just had their first baby, so he’s wrapped up in fatherhood (and his own team) right now.
I’ll get his opinion on CC during their John Cook Cup rivalry game week … when his answer is more likely to be what i want to hear! (<— that’s a joke, cougar fans)

**If he ever did call us sore losers (like a former bucs coach did, or something along those lines directed at public schools), we’re taking HHS down to Country Day IMMEDIATELY — 62-5 with a state title over the last 5 years. they don’t want none🙂 **

He doesn’t know the inner workings at Charlotte Catholic and he’s not going to pretend to.

I stand by my skepticism of a true level playing field across all sports with the parochials. I find the narrative that their astronomical success in athletics is nothing more than the “Catholic Way’ extremely insulting to the rest of us. If somehow this is true, the Catholic Church needs to be running our olympic development program asap.

It’s definitely a touchy subject. You can empathize with them on that, but one or two on here are way too emotionally attached and immature to handle an objective conversation. They feel under attack. IDK maybe I could’ve been “softer” in delivering my opinion.

With that said, and though I still ultimately disagree, I do appreciate the perspective and points made by some CC supporters. I have a better understanding of their point of view and civil discourse benefits us all.

Wow, you've annoyed so many posters even you can't up with them all ? Must be a record.

ironic response from someone who was just chirping about deflecting/changing tactics — you’re so angry and hostile lately. i’m worried about your blood pressure. at the end of the day, it’s just message board entertainment. you wanna hug it out ?

I was just kidding. He and my sister just had their first baby, so he’s wrapped up in fatherhood (and his own team) right now.
I’ll get his opinion on CC during their John Cook Cup rivalry game week … when his answer is more likely to be what i want to hear! (<— that’s a joke, cougar fans)

**If he ever did call us sore losers (like a former bucs coach did, or something along those lines directed at public schools), we’re taking HHS down to Country Day IMMEDIATELY — 62-5 with a state title over the last 5 years. they don’t want none🙂 **

He doesn’t know the inner workings at Charlotte Catholic and he’s not going to pretend to.

I stand by my skepticism of a true level playing field across all sports with the parochials. I find the narrative that their astronomical success in athletics is nothing more than the “Catholic Way’ extremely insulting to the rest of us. If somehow this is true, the Catholic Church needs to be running our olympic development program asap.

It’s definitely a touchy subject. You can empathize with them on that, but one or two on here are way too emotionally attached and immature to handle an objective conversation. They feel under attack. IDK maybe I could’ve been “softer” in delivering my opinion.

With that said, and though I still ultimately disagree, I do appreciate the perspective and points made by some CC supporters. I have a better understanding of their point of view and civil discourse benefits us all.
Your point about the 'Catholic Way' which is the first time I've heard that, Oddo did one time say "We don't recruit em, we breed em here" because you'll have 3-5 kids of the same family come through all playing various sports. Case in point the Herlocker's: Dad was a stud athlete in 70s, three sons who played from roughly 2001-2011 all were studs, mostly for football, I know David played football, basketball, baseball and I think ran track. Dude was a freak athlete.

• Haha

His opinion probably isn't a good one. Before you ask him that ask him his record vs CC both as a player and a coach. Not sure you'll find many wins ;)

strikerHHS
"John Cook Cup" rivalry game week - what game ?

I understand that but that’s not the definition of a Community School
I would disagree on that. I think it a true "community" school. Much more so than the vast majority of our charters or schools that have open or very "loose rules" on enrollment.

As far as changing lives by offering scholarships in the private division. I would be against it. I would much rather play in the NCHSAA than the private school league. Just go to a third or fourth round playoff game. Tells you all you need to know.

I think charters have much more latitude than the Catholics.

• Haha
ironic response from someone who was just chirping about deflecting/changing tactics — you’re so angry and hostile lately. i’m worried about your blood pressure. at the end of the day, it’s just message board entertainment. you wanna hug it out ?
I rather hug a diseased-ridden corpse. At least, they know when to stop spewing baseless accusations.

Sadly not being played again this year, but we are playing them on JV, maybe that's what he meant?
so strikerHHS doesn't know much about Charlotte ball and he's still flaping his lips trying to put a false front. Hey do know how to get a hold of footsoldier, tired of talk sense in this one. Maybe he'll jar something free in his thick head...

so strikerHHS doesn't know much about Charlotte ball and he's still flaping his lips trying to put a false front. Hey do know how to get a hold of footsoldier, tired of talk sense in this one. Maybe he'll jar something free in his thick head...
I do, I'll shoot him a text. Great guy, great message board content too lol

I would disagree on that. I think it a true "community" school. Much more so than the vast majority of our charters or schools that have open or very "loose rules" on enrollment.

As far as changing lives by offering scholarships in the private division. I would be against it. I would much rather play in the NCHSAA than the private school league. Just go to a third or fourth round playoff game. Tells you all you need to know.

I think charters have much more latitude than the Catholics.
If you look up Community School that’s not the definition of it. Did you read the article I posted about Knox Catholic. That’s what private schools can do which is offer financial aid for athletes. There may be athletes who want that education but can’t afford it. Why would you be against that?

LOL not everyone’s got what it takes to play at this level. no shame in wanting to tag in someone else.

If you look up Community School that’s not the definition of it. Did you read the article I posted about Knox Catholic. That’s what private schools can do which is offer financial aid for athletes. There may be athletes who want that education but can’t afford it. Why would you be against that?
You ever seen the video of the 2019 3A State Semifinal vs KM? 7OTs, completely packed out house. A game that everyone who went to it and was apart of it will speak about for the rest of their lives. That's why. Tango hit the nail on the head, those games alone are worth it.

I had plenty of friends who's parents couldn't afford to send them to CC, they went to other good schools and got great educations and have gone on to do great things. We are not against that, but we play by the rules and the rules are that scholarships are not allowed. Period, case closed, end of story. Not sure why this is such a touchy point for you? If you were that kid who wishes they could've attended a private/parochial school then I get that view point. However, if you are not, then I'm a bit confused.

Like I have stated multiple times, they can get a fantastic Christian education at Charlotte Christian School, they can give out scholarships. If they just want a private school education that can go to PD, Latin, CD or venture up to Concord and go to Cannon. Plenty of options.

Last point. Catholic is a community. It's always referenced as the 'Charlotte Catholic Community' by our school, staff, kids, parents, etc. We are a great community bound by our faith and the school we share. Kind of cool that I'm coaching/teaching third generation Cougars. You don't find that at many schools in cities, more so in a rural area where generations live in the same place for the most part. Richmond County I'm sure is a great example as are many of the mountain schools, I'd assume especially in the SMC. We are a community though and don't think for a second that we aren't.

Reactions: Appvol
you prefer a more morbid embrace. got it. my feelings aren’t hurt.
good! then you’re beginning to understand the “Catholic Way”, as you called it, is a matter of team work starting in junior high and being able to understand hard work gets the job done. It is only extremely insulting to you, because your so close minded, you can't the see possibility that our students are winners because they expect to win, no matter who they play. And with the belief in God, it will continue. Your so just jealous your folks can’t obtain. So if you have any proof (and hearsay isn’t proof) present it. If not, then go take a flying leap into a pile of #### ! (Moderators prohibit me from saying)

I don't need to read an article. I base it on what I have witnessed. Just like I base the best rivalry atmosphere on going to all of them and it is Tuscola v Pisgah or at least it is when they play downtown by the mill.

I am not a CC guy. Far from it. I support them in this scenario because of all the falsehoods that have been placed on them including by a representative in the hearings last week.

good! then you’re beginning to understand the “Catholic Way”, as you called it, is a matter of team work starting in junior high and being able to understand hard work gets the job done. It is only extremely insulting to you, because your so close minded, you can't the see possibility that our students are winners because they expect to win, no matter who they play. And with the belief in God, it will continue. Your so just jealous your folks can’t obtain. So if you have any proof (and hearsay isn’t proof) present it. If not, then go take a flying leap into a pile of #### ! (Moderators prohibit me from saying)

your students are winners because they understand the value of hard work, expect to win, and believe in god

WOW! hard work, self-assurance, and religious faith are exclusive to a select group of students in south charlotte.

yeah, how dare someone feel insulted by such an arrogant implication …

your students are winners because they understand the value of hard work, expect to win, and believe in god

WOW! hard work, self-assurance, and religious faith are exclusive to a select group of students in south charlotte.

yeah, how dare someone feel insulted by such an arrogant implication …
Do you feel the need to insult all Christians or it just Catholics? How do you feel about Jews? Do you harbor anti-semantics feelings? Holocaust denier? Just trying to handle on why you have a need to make fun of my religious beliefs? Atheist ?

Last edited:
Do you feel the need to insult all Christians or it just Catholics? How do you feel about Jews? Do you harbor anti-semantics feelings? Holocaust denier? Just trying to handle on why you have a need to make fun of my religious beliefs? Atheist ?

you’ve got to be kidding me. that can’t possibly be your takeaway from my response. come on, man — keep up.

i’m not making fun of your religious beliefs. i’m pointing out your offensive claim to moral superiority and how belittling it is to the religious faith of students who don’t attend charlotte catholic.

you’re not winning games/championships because of your belief in god. god doesn’t favor one team over the other in athletic competition. he loves all of his children equally.

you’ve got to be kidding me. that can’t possibly be your takeaway from my response. come on, man — keep up.

i’m not making fun of your religious beliefs. i’m pointing out your offensive claim to moral superiority and how belittling it is to the religious faith of students who don’t attend charlotte catholic.

you’re not winning games/championships because of your belief in god. god doesn’t favor one team over the other in athletic competition. he loves all of his children equally.
The claim that I have belittled other people faith is disgusting and below contempt.

I’ll hug it out with you if ‘hug it out’ means sharing good wine and food while I tell you about the Catholic Way ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT