ADVERTISEMENT

Legislature Meeting 4 PM — NCHSAA Future

open enrollment is a fair point.

his religion (or anyone else’s) shouldn’t factor into the equation. it shouldn’t allow for any special treatment. am i implying anything devious? of course not.

U
open enrollment is a fair point.

his religion (or anyone else’s) shouldn’t factor into the equation. it shouldn’t allow for any special treatment. am i implying anything devious? of course not.

You have absolutely no concept of a catholic education. You would be best advised not to comment any more tonight or your ignorance fully exposed.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
U

You have absolutely no concept of a catholic education. You would be best advised not to comment any more tonight or your ignorance fully exposed.

i can take an educated guess … or, ya know … spend 5 minutes reading the school website mission statement. regardless, it’s not a pre-requisite for this conversation.

There will be no boundary limitation if the student is a member of a parochial church affiliated with a non-boarding parochial school member and submits an authorized pastor verification form

go on. expose me.

CatholicCougs14; Remote Cougar

You won’t believe what strikerHHS said tonight. He was making some snarky comments about Brendan McKillop living in Davidson while going to Catholic (#118). When I went to reply, I listed a number of situations where recruiting could have been happening just like had he implied Catholic was doing. I also ask a general question – What religion was Brendan when all this was going down?

His response "his religion (or anyone else’s) shouldn’t factor into the equation." WTF !!!
Better yet - He could gleem everything he needs to know about catholic education from reading the mission statement on its website. He been pushing his agenda for last few days about a subject he knows zilch about. Sorry I should have said his opinion, not agenda as he claims (the difference being semantics).
As Mark Twain said 'Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'
SMFH

• Haha
CatholicCougs14; Remote Cougar

You won’t believe what strikerHHS said tonight. He was making some snarky comments about Brendan McKillop living in Davidson while going to Catholic (#118). When I went to reply, I listed a number of situations where recruiting could have been happening just like had he implied Catholic was doing. I also ask a general question – What religion was Brendan when all this was going down?

His response "his religion (or anyone else’s) shouldn’t factor into the equation." WTF !!!
Better yet - He could gleem everything he needs to know about catholic education from reading the mission statement on its website. He been pushing his agenda for last few days about a subject he knows zilch about. Sorry I should have said his opinion, not agenda as he claims (the difference being semantics).
As Mark Twain said 'Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'
SMFH

LOL @ you running to Mommy and Daddy because you’re upset. That’s cute.

I conceded your argument to Brendan McKillop’s enrollment at CC. It’s no different than counties who have open enrollment. It was a fair point and I expressed that to you.

I’ve never once accused CC of actively recruiting anyone. Simply, CC is an option for any (if accepted) rising high school student-athlete within a 25 mile radius boundary. That makes for a much larger candidate pool than any non-parochial school due to a) the 25 mile radius mark itself b) the fact that it’s extending out and encompassing our states largest city and then some. The mere potential for a competitive advantage is there. I don’t place blame on CC. I question the NCHSAA policy decision.

A potential student-athlete who isn’t within a) the county boundary or b) the 25 mile radius still has the option of enrolling at CC (if accepted) if that individual is already a member of the Catholic Church. That’s a special exemption given to individuals based solely on their religious affiliation. Again, the mere potential for a competitive advantage is there. I question the NCHSAA policy decision.

The difference between expressing an opinion (in debate conversation) and having an agenda is semantics? Live your dream.

Great quote. Now make Twain proud. We’re sure you fully comprehend his message, right? You shouldn’t want to argue with stupid ole non-catholic people like myself …. yet here you still are 🙂

McKillop’s father was a youth group leader at St. Mark’s in Huntersville and is the legendary Davidson coach Bob McKillop. Their faith is extremely important to them.

• Haha
The parochial schools should stay but I think they should have to pay. I have visited CG many times and that campus is akin to a small private liberal arts College. They have resources that most don't but I think playing with publics is not required. Maybe parochials have a paid membership that goes into a pool to help some of these woeful schools in rural or urban areas that lack infrastructure and resources. But don't kick them out. There are a number of public schools that recruit their asses off. Go look into that. When kids move to other schools normally it's been initiated by a coach. We all know that.

The parochial schools should stay but I think they should have to pay. I have visited CG many times and that campus is akin to a small private liberal arts College. They have resources that most don't but I think playing with publics is not required. Maybe parochials have a paid membership that goes into a pool to help some of these woeful schools in rural or urban areas that lack infrastructure and resources. But don't kick them out. There are a number of public schools that recruit their asses off. Go look into that. When kids move to other schools normally it's been initiated by a coach. We all know that.
We do pay - Our property taxes. Then we pay tuition which frees up public schools funds that they would have to expend to educate our children. Now you are proposing we pay a third time ?

Last edited:
2007 Brendan McKillop was the Queen City POY avg 26 points, 5 assists and 5 rebounds. He was a 3 star recruit (#18 ranked player in NC senior class) and future NCAA DI basketball player.

What’s the local public in Davidson? I’m sure they would’ve loved to have him. How far is Davidson from CC campus? 30-35 miles?

There’s nothing dirty about it. It’s clean. It’s 100% within the established rules. It’s even a feel good story — son playing for his famous coaching dad’s alma mater.

But that’s a nice, nice competitive advantage for Charlotte Catholic.
The McKillop's lived and live in Meck County. They moved from NY where the family had attended Parochial schools.

The 25 mile rule is waived for a member of the Catholic Church living in Meck County or at least that was the initial caveat of the rule.

I am not Catholic nor a CC supporter. I see the Catholic system as a "community" school system. My belief is that if the student is a member of the Catholic Church and lives in the county the school is located or a connecting county (just like a charter) they should be allowed to play sports. The rule should also include a minimum time line as a member in good standing and in my opinion two years prior to the first participation in an athletic contest. This rule would not be an issue for CC but it would have put a huge dent in Bishop McGuiness and their ladies hoops program. Expect it would cause some issues for Gibbons.

Charlotte, especially the area near CC, is loaded with private schools with elite football programs and most sports are very strong. Gibbons is not competing with other privates, except Ravenscroft, which opens it up for them.

If a non Catholic wants to attend one of the Parochials that is great but I do not think they should be allowed to participate in sports. To me being a Catholic Church member is the district.

As someone who spent many years working at a high school that was always selling cookies, hot dogs, shirts, hats, 50-50's, carwashes, pizzas, and anything else you can name, why does the NCHSAA need this kind of money? Would like to hear one reason. I could not believe the concept of the endowment game when it started - we'll let you play an extra game if you give us the gate, that was/is crazy as hell.
Typical. Person putting out false information. If you were involved you would know 25% went to the NCHSAA. No school was forced to play the game. Only ten games were used to determine playoff seeding.

I have not seen one thing on here from the ones defending this that makes sense: "Oh it's more complicated than you think, there's a lot of planning blah blah blah. That's why people are being (over)paid huge 6 figure salaries at NCHSAA. That has nothing to do with why the organization needs to take $41,000,000 from a lot of broke ass schools in struggling rural communites. Then I see on here the director uses racism as justification - the nchsaa should be completely eliminated if this their response and is how it is run. I have actually communicated with my representatives about this - something I never do but I find this so disgusting to all the small communities that work like dogs and then send the money off. Great information strikerHHS.
Does anyone really believe that in 10 months the government can set up an entity to run high school sports in the state efficiently?

What is "huge" when it comes to employees with twenty to 35 years experience? In the workforce you compete for employees.

Does anyone really believe that in 10 months the government can set up an entity to run high school sports in the state efficiently?

What is "huge" when it comes to employees with twenty to 35 years experience? In the workforce you compete for employees.
The lawsuits will tie it up for at least the first 5+ yrs anyways... Can't do away with an organization that has existed for 75+ years, replace it with an goverment agency and expect it will go smoothly. Especially when the driving force is money.

Am I confident the Department of Administration is capable of running high school sports effectively? I don’t know 50/50, but i’m not a big fan of the NCHSAA and i’m willing to roll the dice and see what happens. I do understand and respect opposition to NCDA>NCHSAA, though.

@Hog_1982 mentioned the money. I certainly agree that’s a key factor in all of this, but make no mistake … the truest driving force behind this is ego and revenge.

Discussions between Commissioner Tucker and Senator McInnis clearly didn’t go well and McInnis and Sawyer have been on a hell bent mission to take down the NCHSAA ever since.

I’m not sure how many democrat votes the republicans would need to swing for a super majority (to override a potential veto from Cooper), but if they don’t have it this thing might be hitting a snag.

Some key democrats are now speaking out about how dangerously fast-tracked this whole things has been — Plus there’s a new poll released by Nick Stevens/HSOT showing 90% of Athletic Directors oppose HB91.

Typical. Person putting out false information. If you were involved you would know 25% went to the NCHSAA. No school was forced to play the game. Only ten games were used to determine playoff seeding.

Why take 25%? Feels motivated by greed, but maybe there’s an angle i’m missing?

I think many underestimate the capital needed to run the day-to-day operations of statewide organization. If they took 25% the schools were still splitting 75% which equates to 37.5% per school. Thus, the schools were pocketing more than the association. @strikerHHS what do you feel would have been a more appropriate percentage?

I think many underestimate the capital needed to run the day-to-day operations of statewide organization. If they took 25% the schools were still splitting 75% which equates to 37.5% per school. Thus, the schools were pocketing more than the association. @strikerHHS what do you feel would have been a more appropriate percentage?

That’s what i’m saying. There could be an angle i’m missing. The endowment game was established to help schools generate additional revenue, correct? If so, then it’s counterproductive for NCHSAA to essentially tax that game since they have nothing to do with putting it on.

If it’s nothing more than an additional source in which the NCHSAA increases it’s revenue, then we’re talking pure greed. If we’re saying the NCHSAA would struggle to pay its annual expenses without the 25% cut from all endowment games, then that’s a different story.

Now I’m sure people can pick apart the financials, but when you hear the NCHSAA has comparable total assets to that of the ACC, despite significantly lower expenses, it raises an eyebrow.

Effort to dissolve NCHSAA on fast track at legislature (highschoolot.com)

Well to those who think the Senate bill is going to be good for NC HS sports. Let’s take a peek at what new commission would be allowed to do see article for (support)

The bill would restrict the commission from doing a number of things:
* Soliciting grant funding and sponsorships for purposes other than state
tournaments
Providing grants to schools (Forget about the field upgrades or new equip)
* Providing scholarships to players (Better hope for a college scholarship)
* Retaining gate receipts other than from the state tournament
* Controlling the intellectual property of schools, such as logos and mascots, and
audio and visual rights to games
* Delegating its statutory duties to a director

The fund now sits at $41 million. The new law calls for “If commission funds reach 250% of the commission's total expenses for the previous year, it would be reduced by 20%.” According to Ms . Turner, yearly expense run @ $13 million so 250% times $13 = $32.5. Ms. Turner also they have $16 million of donor-direct. She said they can’t touch these funds. Let’s say they can get at $6 million. So at the end of the day $32.5 million plus $10 million = $42.5 million very close to what they started with and you now have follow restrictions (see * pts above)

And the biggest question, if there is ever a disbursement from the fund - Where does it go ? Roads around Raleigh ? or into the election fund for Dem or Repub ? Because thats who will be controlling HS sports in NC. (but it will be the AD, School officials - who are appoint by the Gov, House & Senate)

I know strikerHHS will only be to happy to punch holes in my logic....

A) Florida is a different animal. What’s good for Florida isn’t necessarily good for us.

B) “compete and get better” ? LOL those are hollow words until we’re all playing by the same set of rules. if you don’t understand that simple and fair philosophy, then i can’t help you.

C) You have total control over the makeup of your student body. You can say you don’t do this and you don’t do that, but the optics will always be there. Charlotte Catholic chooses its students from a large metropolitan area. The rest of us do not.
1 . Why is it that will you are faced with an situation its "always a diffenent aninmal.
I could say no its not and your BS your way through the arguement.
2. Neither can you learn - you can only put 11 men on the field at time. Man up....
3. This is the biggest load of caca you have ever written. I will put Catholic record against public schools records of D1 recruits and Catholic will lose almost to a school. Futhermore, 50+ % of catholic don't go mass anymore & you need a parish sign off to be eligible to play and parishes want their fair share plus there a little matter of tuition - around $9k (remember no scholarships) and that for 1. I know you believe the catholics have all the money - little hint they don't.

Will that puts the universe back in sync...

Last edited:
Why take 25%? Feels motivated by greed, but maybe there’s an angle i’m missing?
Schools had the choice. You can play 11 and pay out the 25% or play 10. Most chose to play 11.

I support the endowment fund. I disagree with many things the NCHSAA does but not the endowment. I see it as a long term insurance policy.

Charlie Adams stated in the late 1980's to an NCHSAA employee that only a war and pandemic could stop high school sports on a national level. Pretty ironic but he was a little fella during WW2 and in the late 1960's the Hong Kong Flu caused issues. Within less than a year games were postponed due to the Gulf War. I was not here but there. Adams felt that eventually finances would be an issue for high school sports specifically the costs of insurances. He felt that a large enough endowment would be the key to overcome that. Those funds were used to build the fund.

I do think the NCHSAA should help schools that struggle more than most. As much as one disagrees with the NCHSAA they do everything based on their by laws. They go by the book. The answers is usually there.

Where did you read Tucker claim $13M? I believe recent audits show annual expenses at about half that number.

The commission would be restricted from collecting gate $ outside of the state playoffs? LOVE IT

Schools would control their intellectual property? COOL

1 . Why is it that will you are faced with an situation its "always a diffenent aninmal.
I could say no its not and your BS your way through the arguement.
2. Neither can you learn - you can only put 11 men on the field at time. Man up....
3. This is the biggest load of caca you have ever written. I will put Catholic record against public schools records of D1 recruits and Catholic will lose almost to a school. Futhermore, 50+ % of catholic don't go mass anymore & you need a parish sign off to be eligible to play and parishes want their fair share plus there a little matter of tuition - around $9k (remember no scholarships) and that for 1. I know you believe the catholics have all the money - little hint they don't.

Will that put puts the universe back in sync...

Take a deep breath and re-read your favorite Mark Twain quote.

Answer: We have to be careful not to let the $41 million guide our thinking. That’s the net assets. About $13 million of that is operating expenses, a two-year operating reserve, and when we talk about the (NCHSAA office in Chapel Hill) and its contents that’s part of that money. … About $16 million of it we can’t even touch because it’s donor-directed. … Then you have some other monies that have been invested and are board-designated which account for $10 million or so. That’s where the $1 surcharge (on playoff admissions) went, that’s where the 25 percent of the gate for endowment games went, so that the board would have the opportunity to do things like the $4 million that went to schools (during the COVID-19 pandemic). … I don’t regret any of that. What I do regret is the fact that we have not done as good a job as we needed to make sure people understood those pots of money and what’s in them.

when you can't refute changes tactics - BTW I never claim as my favorite

refute what? charlotte catholic’s lack of division 1 talent?

Women’s Swimming: Jane Donahue (Penn St), Madeline Menkhaus (Notre Dame), Julia Menkhaus (UVA), Olivia Rhodes (TCU), Julia Neal (UNCW), Alina Stout (Vanderbilt), Mary Hesler (Navy), Erin Gaeckle (Tennessee), Christine Sullivan (Villanova), Katy Miller (Pitt), Kerianna McAfee (UNC), Victoria Dichak (Towson), Elsa Welshofer (Princeton), Nora McCullagh (Texas), Lauren Rhodes (NC State), Maria Sheridan (Duke), Erin McCullagh (Navy), Mariel Green (BC), Abigail Parks (UNCA), Meredith Applegate (Miami-OH), Emma Tomaszewski (Stony Brook)

The list goes on and on. It’s almost comical. You sure you want to compare THIS to a public school? It ain’t the X’s and O’s, it’s the Jimmy’s and Joe’s … 😉

Last edited:
refute what? charlotte catholic’s lack of division 1 talent?

Women’s Swimming: Jane Donahue (Penn St), Madeline Menkhaus (Notre Dame), Julia Menkhaus (UVA), Olivia Rhodes (TCU), Julia Neal (UNCW), Alina Stout (Vanderbilt), Mary Hesler (Navy), Erin Gaeckle (Tennessee), Christine Sullivan (Villanova), Katy Miller ..., Emma Tomaszewski (Stony Brook) … the list goes on and on

It’s almost comical. You sure you want to put THIS up against a public school? What sport should we look at next? I don’t know why you’re under the impression this only about football …
I guess Im stuck on football because we're on 3A football msg board... Your deflecting, You still haven't refute my comment as to why your so full of it,

BTW - Is there even a NCpreps 3A swimiming msg board ? Did your daughter or niece get crushed Catholic and that why your tracking Catholic HS girls swiming scholarships ? From a friend, you know it's an unhealth hobby...

Last edited:
I guess Im stuck on football because we're on 3A football msg board... Your deflecting, You still haven't refute my comment as to why your so full of it,

BTW - Is there even a NCpreps 3A swimiming msg board ? Did your daughter or niece get crushed Catholic and that why your tracking Catholic HS girls swiming scholarships ? From a friend, you know it's an unhealth hobby...

why i’m so full of what ?

I did ask a couple of days ago how would CC do in other sports in the private division. There are more sports than just football. The only reason I ask why CC doesn’t play in the private division couldn’t the school help out kids more. If you are in the private division couldn’t you give athletic scholarships to kids who can’t afford to go to CC. If so couldn’t some kids life’s be changed for the better.

Students can go to CC and receive financial assistance based on need but cannot play sports. I would not have an issue if a student received financial aid and played sports at CC. In order to receive aid they must be a member in good standing with their parish. Once again, I consider CC a community school. I would have them play up a classification.

Reactions: ocdavis31
Students can go to CC and receive financial assistance based on need but cannot play sports. I would not have an issue if a student received financial aid and played sports at CC. In order to receive aid they must be a member in good standing with their parish. Once again, I consider CC a community school. I would have them play up a classification.
Wasn’t the ? I asked if they played in the private division could they then give athletic scholarships to kids.

Why do you consider CC a community school? How would you consider CC a community school if they don’t get any state and federal funding?

I did ask a couple of days ago how would CC do in other sports in the private division. There are more sports than just football. The only reason I ask why CC doesn’t play in the private division couldn’t the school help out kids more. If you are in the private division couldn’t you give athletic scholarships to kids who can’t afford to go to CC. If so couldn’t some kids life’s be changed for the better.
We do not give scholarships. If a family wants one they can go to PD, CD, Christian or Latin. They can change his life too. My parents sacrificed tons to send my brother and I through Catholic. Watching them do that changed my life for the better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT