ADVERTISEMENT

Legislature Meeting 4 PM — NCHSAA Future

91 I’m not pushing for Catholic to be kicked out. Your friend Church Boy as you call him wasn’t happy with my take on the campaign to rename the Red Raiders. I asked him on another thread, How he would like it if they were after his school. Entirely different situation but now he will see how I feel.

Ok, Charlotte Catholic. They are coming after your school now. How do you feel about it?

1) They’re not making those accusations without having the goods to back it up
2) They were giving the private schools the boot no matter what.
3) The football program isn’t dumb enough to let this happen. Oversight would be a huge priority. I can see it happening to a smaller team that doesn’t garner a ton of attention and someone just fell through the cracks. South Carolina kids go to school at Charlotte Catholic, so it’s not crazy this would happen.

Reactions: UNC91
It has never been a secret that Charlotte Catholic has had students / athletes from SC. The SC border is less than four miles from Charlotte Catholic. Most counties that border another state will have some students that cross the border.

Charlotte Catholic has carried a target since the late 1970's. If their average sports record was 6-4 no one would ever raise a stink. As far as recruiting I have been around sports in Charlotte for 30 years. They are not recruiting football players. Almost all of those players come through the middle school system or if they move from out of state they come from a fellow Parochial school.

I do not think Catholic is much difference than the charter schools.

I have always thought the following rules should apply to Parochial schools in addition to the ones already in place.
1. the student must be a member of the Catholic Church in good standing for two full years before they play in a sports event. Do not think this would change much because almost every footballer came through the middle school system.
2. play up one class. If they are moved up a class they play small A in subdivided playoffs. If large enough to be in 4A they play large A.
3. no out of state athletes although I do not have such a problem with this due to the 25 mile rule in place.

I don’t really want Catholic out either. I just don’t like the NCHSAA withholding all this money they have collected from the endowment games and selfishly they could have done a heck of a lot better job with 2A realignment (go look at Conference 40…the new Southern Piedmont 1A/2A).

Again guys I’m not advocating that Catholic or any other school be put out or left out. I was asking the poster that goes by “Charlotte Catholic “ how it feels when the school he loves and supports is under attack. I understand the situations are completely different. I understand a school being forced to change its Logo and mascot are not equivalent to a school possibility being put out or left out.

I’m like a lot of other posters. If this proposal goes through, it will be swapping the NCHSAA for politicians for over site. The 17 member board might be the face of N C High School sports but don’t think the politicians won’t get involved, especially when problems come up.

Reactions: btango
I don’t really want Catholic out either. I just don’t like the NCHSAA withholding all this money they have collected from the endowment games and selfishly they could have done a heck of a lot better job with 2A realignment (go look at Conference 40…the new Southern Piedmont 1A/2A).
I agree with you Nelson. Make all private and public schools play together ...line em up and see. As far as the NCHSAA - bye bye Crooks!

I certainly don’t agree with all their decisions, but crooks they are not.
Agree. Absolutely not. One thing the politicians have said is they were not big spenders. Charlie Adams instilled a fairly tight restraint on spending. He is the one that came up with endowment and his reasoning was 100% to help high school sports with football being the main benefactor of the fund long term. He may have been a little old school in some of his ways but Charlie Adams was sharp, a man of integrity, and truly cared about the high school student athlete.

Agree. Absolutely not. One thing the politicians have said is they were not big spenders. Charlie Adams instilled a fairly tight restraint on spending. He is the one that came up with endowment and his reasoning was 100% to help high school sports with football being the main benefactor of the fund long term. He may have been a little old school in some of his ways but Charlie Adams was sharp, a man of integrity, and truly cared about the high school student athlete.
Is the NCHSAA ran like the TSSAA or are they completely different in how they are ran. This what the TSSAA does. Just wondering.

I agree Sportsnt17. If they were crooks the $41million or at least a portion of it would be gone.

I also agree that the NCHSAA should have sent more of the cash they collected over the years back to the schools.
Got some high schools playing in cow pastures with middle school equipment and they are sitting on 41 million ....hmmmm.

Again guys I’m not advocating that Catholic or any other school be put out or left out. I was asking the poster that goes by “Charlotte Catholic “ how it feels when the school he loves and supports is under attack. I understand the situations are completely different. I understand a school being forced to change its Logo and mascot are not equivalent to a school possibility being put out or left out.

I’m like a lot of other posters. If this proposal goes through, it will be swapping the NCHSAA for politicians for over site. The 17 member board might be the face of N C High School sports but don’t think the politicians won’t get involved, especially when problems come up.
I’m used to my school having a target on it’s back so I know how to handle myself. Unlike you who compared it and wondered in a post on this board why you could not use the “N” word. So spare me.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
Is the NCHSAA ran like the TSSAA or are they completely different in how they are ran. This what the TSSAA does. Just wondering.

One thing I will say is that whenever they make a ruling it is straight out of the by laws and rules that have been put in place by the Board of Directors.

I had a major issue with teams being removed from the playoffs for fighting/leaving the bench. I thought there should be other punishments, said players cannot participate in a playoff game, school loses a home playoff game, et al. I was told real quick by a superintendent and a couple of principals that they wanted the harshest penalties for fighting because it was getting out of hand. This was probably six or seven years ago.

CatholicCougs14,
I’m used to my school having a target on it’s back so I know how to handle myself. Unlike you who compared it and wondered in a post on this board why you could not use the “N” word. So spare me.
[/QUOTE]

Your have been spared.

You didn’t read the post correctly or you wouldn’t have asked to have it removed. I never once wondered why I couldn’t use that word. I don’t use that word. I compared using that word to other words that are considered hurtful by people who don’t want their feelings hurt. Regardless what you post, I won’t go asking the monitors to take it down. Words use to be just words. Obviously not anymore. Sticks and stones and all that stuff.

Got some high schools playing in cow pastures with middle school equipment and they are sitting on 41 million ....hmmmm.
They want to say we want to be 'equitable' by saying the Parochials must go, yet they sit on millions of dollars while schools as you said play on terrible fields with old equipment. If they cared about equity Harding's track wouldn't be falling apart and their visitor bleachers wouldn't be 20 year old pieces of wood. Chamber's would have a new field, etc. They do not care about equity. Their words say they do, but their actions do not. Passing this bill will not solve much of that I believe either.
Also, isn't it interesting how schools that never play CC want them thrown out, but the schools/people who have lined up against Catholic always say there is nothing wrong with them. Funny how that works.

Catholic beats you with execution and discipline, not recruiting. They beat us last year and yes they had a few players who were top tier, but it was their ability to play their positions, be disciplined on defense, and execute their blocking schemes that beat us. We had athletes and yes we were very young, but they just out preformed us not out athlete us. Recruiting isn’t their keys to victory.

I do not want Catholic out period. Most folks that whine about Catholic are the fans of teams that their small to mid-sized kids have beat the brakes off of with fundamentals and discipline.

I do not care if some of the players come from South Carolina which is right down the road. If they really wanted to recruit they could.

I also think that the South Point Red Raiders should keep their name and not give one big crap what anyone thinks about it. I've been there a bunch of times and the only name that would offend anyone is if they were named the South Point Fat White Girls With Cornrows..

The NCHSAA is a JOKE...... But, so are politicians. Even more so...

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts:

* People point to the $41M endowment fund. I understand the "why" behind it (that is a large sum) but do people understand how endowment funds work? If not, I encourage them to learn about them. It may alter your view on that number.

* Those spearheading this legislation, and those voting on this legislation, need to pump the brakes on the timeline. Something of this magnitude does not need to be rammed through this fast. This is nothing more than a power play - no matter how many times the phrase "for the kids" or "for the student athletes" is uttered. If the NCGA was that concerned with the student-athletes wouldn't that show up in their budgets for schools, teachers, etc.? Their actions suggest otherwise.

* While the NCHSAA has its faults, one would think that reforming it would be the first step instead of replacing it. Eliminate fines, add an independent appeals committee from DPI, the Agricultural Commission, etc. Let arbitration come from a source not affiliated, involved in, or invested in the outcome but invested in fair hearings. Increase disbursements to member schools and have an athletic facility fund to cover some basic operating costs (minimum standards of lighting at outdoor fields, minimum seating standards at outdoor venues for those that require it, etc.) at schools without a strong booster club, community support, etc. If a school wants a jumbotron that's on the school. Basic minimum standards across the state.

* I'm for keeping CC, BM, CtK, and CG in the NCHSAA. If they would reject the applications of future private/parochial schools then so be it. Especially with CC, they have been a part of the NCHSAA for so long that, at this point, they are like a common-law marriage. Let them be. If they were such a recruiting powerhouse, one would think they would have more Rivals/ESPN/247 5-star players year-after-year.

* Politicians (-R, -D, -L, -I), in general, cannot be trusted.

I do not want Catholic out period. Most folks that whine about Catholic are the fans of teams that their small to mid-sized kids have beat the brakes off of with fundamentals and discipline.

I do not care if some of the players come from South Carolina which is right down the road. If they really wanted to recruit they could.

I also think that the South Point Red Raiders should keep their name and not give one big crap what anyone thinks about it. I've been there a bunch of times and the only name that would offend anyone is if they were named the South Point Fat White Girls With Cornrows..

A small part of that 41 million could be used to put more than 2 crappers in at Crest and Burns. :) 😀

A couple of thoughts:

* People point to the $41M endowment fund. I understand the "why" behind it (that is a large sum) but do people understand how endowment funds work? If not, I encourage them to learn about them. It may alter your view on that number.

* Those spearheading this legislation, and those voting on this legislation, need to pump the brakes on the timeline. Something of this magnitude does not need to be rammed through this fast. This is nothing more than a power play - no matter how many times the phrase "for the kids" or "for the student athletes" is uttered. If the NCGA was that concerned with the student-athletes wouldn't that show up in their budgets for schools, teachers, etc.? Their actions suggest otherwise.

* While the NCHSAA has its faults, one would think that reforming it would be the first step instead of replacing it. Eliminate fines, add an independent appeals committee from DPI, the Agricultural Commission, etc. Let arbitration come from a source not affiliated, involved in, or invested in the outcome but invested in fair hearings. Increase disbursements to member schools and have an athletic facility fund to cover some basic operating costs (minimum standards of lighting at outdoor fields, minimum seating standards at outdoor venues for those that require it, etc.) at schools without a strong booster club, community support, etc. If a school wants a jumbotron that's on the school. Basic minimum standards across the state.

* I'm for keeping CC, BM, CtK, and CG in the NCHSAA. If they would reject the applications of future private/parochial schools then so be it. Especially with CC, they have been a part of the NCHSAA for so long that, at this point, they are like a common-law marriage. Let them be. If they were such a recruiting powerhouse, one would think they would have more Rivals/ESPN/247 5-star players year-after-year.

* Politicians (-R, -D, -L, -I), in general, cannot be trusted.
I came here to say these exact same things… but I couldn’t have done it as well as you did it. Well written and well done.

I greatly prefer a re-vamping of the NCHSAA. In many cases, they aren’t working for the schools. Many times, I’ve seen them ignore/fight them. I emaileld the NCHSAA AND the board of directors to warn them of the ensuing crap-maelstrom that was going to be happening at Glenn High School (1a and 4a state wrestling tournaments held there together on the same day). Warned them in advance that it was Going to happen. It did happen. Any responses from either entity? Nope.

I’m wrong all the time. If someone suggests that I might be wrong, I will look into it. If I’m ignorant about that subject, I’ll seek some guidance. But only a fool clings to a runaway train. I think the NCHSAA does just that more often than they should.

Nobody’s perfect. I don’t hold them to a standard of perfection…. But there are a lot of people employed by the Associate to make decisions. Supposedly they are highly experienced and ultra-qualified. Well, freaking act like it.

Last edited:
CatholicCougs14, Serious question not trying to be funny but if this bill passes does it knock the Catholic schools out of the public Conferences. Would they then have to play with the private schools.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and UNC91
CatholicCougs14, Serious question not trying to be funny but if this bill passes does it knock the Catholic schools out of the public Conferences. Would they then have to play with the private schools.
Yes. One of the legislatures spoke about the unfairness of recruiting and scholarships. They are not very well informed. There was a lot of misspeaks on a lot of items.

I don’t think that the NCISSA would have to accept them into their league. I’d prefer for them to stay in the NCHSAA.

A public school paid $150K for 64 lightbulbs from a preferred vendor of the NCHSAA … in Iowa!
When I heard that, I immediately wanted more info. Did they pay that or was that the quote? Either way it stinks but owning a business a lot of things cost a lot more than I would think but that seems extreme.

Reactions: strikerHHS

Wait ..say that again. You wouldn’t mind if South Carolina kids were competing in North Carolina public school athletics? That’s nonsense. Our State, Our Championships, Our Kids.

I can’t believe what I’m hearing. Criticism of Catholic, CG, and BM competing in the NCHSAA is 100% warranted.

They are winning state championships at an astronomical rate, and doing it under different guidelines than the rest of us.

Catholic has won 75 state titles (63 of them since 2000). Cardinal Gibbons has 73 state titles. Bishop M girls basketball won the state title the first 9 years they were in the NCHSAA (2006-2014). Catholic women’s swimming has won 14 straight state titles. CG is averaging 4+ state championships per year for the past 17 years.

THATS.NOT.NORMAL.

you think it’s because of “fundamentals and discipline”? please, you can’t seriously be that naive.

CC and CG are located in the states two biggest cities and have the benefit of some stupid 25 mile radius clause. Do you realize how many people are within 25 miles of their campus — hundreds and hundreds of thousands. That’s a HUGE pool to draw from. That’s a game changer.

They don't have to admit students who are unable to participate in athletics and therefore have a higher percentage of their enrollment who are potential athletes —> They can admit students based just on athletic performance.

Bottom Line: We’re not all competing on the same level playing field. The numbers emphatically point to that. Some of y’all need a wake-up call to all of this.

THEY’VE GOT TO GO !

Reactions: BK13T-$
They did not have to buy from that vendor. Why was it not bid out?

I don’t know the details. It was mentioned during the legislature meeting on Tuesday. Who knows what “preferred vendor” precisely means when it’s coming from NCHSAA. So strongly implied that the school feared retribution if it chose another vendor?

When I heard that, I immediately wanted more info. Did they pay that or was that the quote? Either way it stinks but owning a business a lot of things cost a lot more than I would think but that seems extreme.

The price tag definitely stings, but it’s being forced to buy from one provider that reeks of corrupt behavior. This same principal was applied to the insurance schools had to buy — NCHSAA “preferred vendor”. They couldn’t shop it around. One has to imagine the NCHSAA is getting kickbacks from these vendors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT