ADVERTISEMENT

Legislator tells NCHSAA to return fines $

With over $440,000 in fines collected and $41,000,000 in endowment funds this legislator tells the NcHSAA to return fine $ + interest over the past 10 years..

They may have a board of directors approving this but I see it as hoarding the $
I read they were giving $4 million to schools during their pandemic issues . That’s a drop in the buvket compared to their warchest
Some poster a month or so ago if the gave 1/2 of their endowment fund (which seems reasonable, I mean this is a reason for rainy day funds) if they gave 1/2 each member school (over 400) would get $27,000. That would be making a difference in times like this!

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
He's delusional.
What’s delusional about looking into NCHSSA funding? They’re a private non-profit entity getting money from our public schools
Keeping $41,000,00 in endowment funds is delusional and wrong
1/2 million in fines over 5 years
Sounds like there should be some government oversight committee keeping tabs with them. If these were private schools like the NCIHSAA they can do what they want. I guarantee you it’s not like this.

Last edited:
He's delusional in thinking they should return the fines. Schools were fined for wrongdoings.
There’s other ways of penalizing besides monatairly. You don’t go by the rules you don’t play. Take Ganges away, limit # of players, all kind of creative. Ways other than $$$. The $$$ fine doesn’t actually hurt the school. You start taking participation away you mean business.
It’s delusional to think the actual fine impacts the school, but the associations hoarding the fine $ is not delusional it’s just wrong. If you’re going to collect fine $ there should never be a carry over from one year to another. It should be distributed to the schools

Believe me principals pay attention to fines. It may only be $500 or less but that gets their attention.

I do think fighting and players leaving the bench should be reviewed. I think the players involved missing the one or two games is severe enough but to add removal from the playoffs due to a few players got out of hand is bad. I think they should lose their first home playoff game but that is a monetary fine to some degree. Second penalty would be an additional home playoff game lost and the head coach cannot go on the field pregame or during game, press box only. I think that one would hurt.

Everyone screams there should not be an endowment. I liken that to your retirement. There are caveats obviously, such as transparency and true need. If Jones County needs $10,000 that does not mean Myers Park should get $100k or each get $3,000. One size does not fit all.

About fifteen years ago I spoke with Charlie Adams about the endowment. I felt they were taking away from the schools. He said that was why they added the week. If the school wanted to play they could and pay the endowment, if they did not want to play or pay the endowment they could continue without an endowment game.

Charlie Adams told Rick Strunk around 1988 or 89 that there were most likely only two things other than financial collapse that could completely stop high school sports from a macro position, war and pandemic. Three years later the Gulf War caused some postponements. Fast forward to 2020. Think he was looking back at the World Wars and the influenza pandemic of the 19 teens. Charlie Adams was pretty sharp and he felt that years after he was long gone the endowment would be what would allow NC to continue to have high school sports inclusively and without extreme drop offs.

When Adams implemented the endowment his idea was to build the fund as large as possible over time so that the fund would generate returns that would ensure that pay for play sports would not become the only way to fund teams and the catastrophic insurance policy purchase would be viable.

Without the present endowment there would not have been $4 million to give out this year.

This was my fear when they took a shine to looking at the NCHSAA. For every good thing politicians would do, and the best thing they did was shake them out of their state of complacency, they will do way more stupid bull$#!t that would hurt HS athletics.

Removing regulations and punishment for violating them is never a good idea.

Everyone screams there should not be an endowment. I liken that to your retirement. There are caveats obviously, such as transparency and true need. If Jones County needs $10,000 that does not mean Myers Park should get $100k or each get $3,000. One size does not fit all.

About fifteen years ago I spoke with Charlie Adams about the endowment. I felt they were taking away from the schools. He said that was why they added the week. If the school wanted to play they could and pay the endowment, if they did not want to play or pay the endowment they could continue without an endowment game.

Charlie Adams told Rick Strunk around 1988 or 89 that there were most likely only two things other than financial collapse that could completely stop high school sports from a macro position, war and pandemic. Three years later the Gulf War caused some postponements. Fast forward to 2020. Think he was looking back at the World Wars and the influenza pandemic of the 19 teens. Charlie Adams was pretty sharp and he felt that years after he was long gone the endowment would be what would allow NC to continue to have high school sports inclusively and without extreme drop offs.

When Adams implemented the endowment his idea was to build the fund as large as possible over time so that the fund would generate returns that would ensure that pay for play sports would not become the only way to fund teams and the catastrophic insurance policy purchase would be viable.

Without the present endowment there would not have been $4 million to give out this year.
4 million is a drop in the ticket to what's needed and what's in the endowment fund

This was my fear when they took a shine to looking at the NCHSAA. For every good thing politicians would do, and the best thing they did was shake them out of their state of complacency, they will do way more stupid bull$#!t that would hurt HS athletics.

Removing regulations and punishment for violating them is never a good idea.
Nobody's talking about removing regulations and punishment. This is a monetary issue apparent you guys doubt see.
$41 million in assets! Charlie Adams would roll over in his grave.

Do you wasn't to go into the pressure over the years of playing an endowment game? Its never been if you wanted to or not, there were several incentives and disincentives. 11-0 is better than 10-0 in seedings was the most recent

Believe me principals pay attention to fines. It may only be $500 or less but that gets their attention.

I do think fighting and players leaving the bench should be reviewed. I think the players involved missing the one or two games is severe enough but to add removal from the playoffs due to a few players got out of hand is bad. I think they should lose their first home playoff game but that is a monetary fine to some degree. Second penalty would be an additional home playoff game lost and the head coach cannot go on the field pregame or during game, press box only. I think that one would hurt.
Playoff monies is split between the two teams after expenses and of course the association get a increasing percentage with each round.

Playoff monies is split between the two teams after expenses and of course the association get a increasing percentage with each round.

Correct but the home team gets expenses and also has concessions plus the home field. I think most coaches would not want to lose that.

Do you wasn't to go into the pressure over the years of playing an endowment game? Its never been if you wanted to or not, there were several incentives and disincentives. 11-0 is better than 10-0 in seedings was the most recent

One non conference game was dropped from the record. That’s how 10-1 teams were seeded above 11-0 schools.

Nobody's talking about removing regulations and punishment. This is a monetary issue apparent you guys doubt see.

I don’t think so. From speaking to the former employee that was probably the closest to him he felt it would need to be much larger than most imagined. His idea was to get it to a point that the funds generated would be sufficient to cover the items he was specific about.

Is there a “too much” or will “too much” be realized to be “not enough” in yen or twenty years.

"In addition, McInnis said he believes the NCHSAA should cease issuing fines to schools when rules are broken."

Try reading the article and not just the headline dip$#!t.

Reactions: UNC91
BlueVols, instead of being a big man typing behind your keyboard come down to Clinton anytime and call me that to my face and we.’ll see how the discussion ends

Last edited:
BlueVols, instead of being a big man typing behind your keyboard come down to Clinton anytime and call me that to my face and we.’ll see how the discussion ends you have road signs marking the exit and city limits
Are there road signs that I can read to mark the exit or do I have to just pull it out of my @$$ as you did? The highway runs west and east if you think you need a taste. Rant on oh mighty warrior of the keyboard.

Reactions: UNC91
With over $440,000 in fines collected and $41,000,000 in endowment funds this legislator tells the NcHSAA to return fine $ + interest over the past 10 years..

The Great OZ has spoken. His words shall be done.

Politicians should focus on their jobs. When they chase headlines and make pronouncements outside their area of control they look silly. They all too often look silly doing the job they were elected to do.

Reactions: btango
There’s other ways of penalizing besides monatairly. You don’t go by the rules you don’t play. Take Ganges away, limit # of players, all kind of creative. Ways other than $$$. The $$$ fine doesn’t actually hurt the school. You start taking participation away you mean business.
It’s delusional to think the actual fine impacts the school, but the associations hoarding the fine $ is not delusional it’s just wrong. If you’re going to collect fine $ there should never be a carry over from one year to another. It should be distributed to the schools
I don't think taking games away or limiting the number of players should ever be considered because then your hurting the kids, not so much the school.

Reactions: BlueVols and btango
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT