ADVERTISEMENT

Legion Baseball to 7 Innings

baseballfan155

May 12, 2017
Word out of the national meetings this weekend is they are going to 7 inning games! Also I would assume that would keep rosters at 18 for good!

Word out of the national meetings this weekend is they are going to 7 inning games! Also I would assume that would keep rosters at 18 for good!
Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away...

Reidsville's Scott Bankhead did not come out of the visitor's dugout for bottom of the 9th inning of a game he was leading 10-1. Home team proceeded to score 9 runs in that at bat. Home team won game in the 11th I think.

That was the start of a 12 game winning streak for Eastern Randolph which helped them to a state semi final loss to Cherryville. Was longest, coolest summer of baseball I ever had the pleasure of playing.

With this rule Reidsville wins in 7 easily.

Where's the fun in that?

This 7 inning debacle of an idea literally changed the dynamic of the American Legion World Series this year and it will change the dynamic of the game if this is indeed true. Why must Legion baseball always try to mess everything up? This isn't high school ball, but that's essentially what you're turning it into if you make the games 7 innings. I understand parents and people who work these games would like to be home earlier during the week day. I totally get that struggle. But changing the games to 7 innings only hurts the players, the team strategies, and the teams with actual depth.

Westboy I 100% agree with you that they should keep it at 9 innings.

In my opinion they had two options. They had to pick one of these!

Change rosters to 20-22 players and keep 9 innings or go to 7 innings with 18 man rosters.

Legion picked 7 innings because the price of insurance was going to go up for each legion team and they didn't want the consequences. Those being teams would of said we are not going to pay more and fold. Secondly I have heard this for years. Well some teams have more access to players than other teams. Now you are going to give them 2-4 extra players no way we can compete only drawing from 1-2 high schools. Then they Fold

All legion baseball is now at is keeping as many teams involved and making sure they can scrap every penny they can out of the American Legion World Series!

I like the idea that little league baseball had where two major league teams are playing in Pittsburgh and all the kids could go. Wish they would do that with legion and at the Charlotte Knights Stadium!

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away...

Reidsville's Scott Bankhead did not come out of the visitor's dugout for bottom of the 9th inning of a game he was leading 10-1. Home team proceeded to score 9 runs in that at bat. Home team won game in the 11th I think.

That was the start of a 12 game winning streak for Eastern Randolph which helped them to a state semi final loss to Cherryville. Was longest, coolest summer of baseball I ever had the pleasure of playing.

With this rule Reidsville wins in 7 easily.

Where's the fun in that?

In 2014, High Point fought back from a 2-0 deficit to a very talented Kernersville team by winning two one-run games - 2-1 and 3-2.

In game 5, High Point jumped out to a 3-0 advantage and took a 6-3 lead in the bottom of the 6th. At the end of 7, High Point led 6-5. Under the new rules, that would've been the game and the series. However, thanks to a scheduled 9-inning affair, Kernersville scored 3 runs in the top of the 8th to take an 8-6 advantage.

Kernersville would take that 8-6 lead into the 9th inning with HP's 2-3-4 hitters coming to the plate. The first two batters reached on errors and three straight singles later, High Point walked off with another 1-run win to clinch the series and move onto the 3rd round.

High Point would advance to win the Area III Championship that year by defeating Mooresville in the semi-finals 3 games to 1 and sweeping Winston-Salem in the title series 3 games to 0.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekidd12
This 7 inning debacle of an idea literally changed the dynamic of the American Legion World Series this year and it will change the dynamic of the game if this is indeed true. Why must Legion baseball always try to mess everything up? This isn't high school ball, but that's essentially what you're turning it into if you make the games 7 innings. I understand parents and people who work these games would like to be home earlier during the week day. I totally get that struggle. But changing the games to 7 innings only hurts the players, the team strategies, and the teams with actual depth.

American Legion is notorious for getting in their own way. It's frustrating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT