ADVERTISEMENT

Legendary Clinton high coach Bob Lewis retires

Darkhorse04

Dec 5, 2006

Let me be the first to say on behalf of all Dark Horse fans everywhere you have been a great coach and leave a legacy behind that very few will ever come close too. Thank you for putting clinton on the map. And thanks For The impact in all of the former players, coaches, announcers, fans lives you have encounters along the way. Bob Lewis forever a Dark Horse, be tough be a Horse, YEA!

Thanks Coach Lewis for everything definitely time to put that means name on the Field or the stadium......so now the big question for us is what now??? Arnette has had one year at HCA does he leave and come back???? Guess we will find out in the weeks to come

Reactions: Hoarses1
Great coach much respect to him and the Clinton program...hope the transition will go better than Thomasville has since our legendary HC retired...it's great that he left on his own terms,better than how coach Brown was treated up here,

That Jackson fella has attended a lot of practices. Maybe he's gonna throw his name in the hat.

If Arnette doesn't return I think Michael Bell would be a candidate especially if they looking to stay inside the program.......outside the program may be his son Rocky Lewis wants to take the reigns....another would be may be Robert Hill Jr or may be Ken Avant Jr

This was a post on the other site about possible candidates Clinton may consider or just guys who's systems fit our style of football

It will be very interesting what Clinton does with this hire. I have a feeling it would be someone with familiarity with the area and the program.

Some coaches I would imagine being in the running could be;

1. Ken Avent, Jr.: Former head coach at James Kenan, still at Kenan in an assistant role.

2. Joe Salas: Came on this year as Clinton's defensive coordinator, he's an incredible coach who led South Johnston to the 2009 3A state title game and narrowly lost that game to South Point.

3. Steve Mallard: Was head coach at Clinton from 2005 to 09 and won the '05 state championship.

4. Rocky Lewis: Head coach at South Brunswick, as Bob Lewis' son, he certainly knows what it takes to win in Clinton.

5. Paul Hall: Former Midway head coach, he's as well versed in the Wing-T as anyone and had great success at Midway.

6. George Coltharp: Former Red Springs head coach, he's not far away in Fayetteville and is a very solid candidate in my opinion.

7. David Lovette: Head Coach at Gray's Creek, another very strong Wing-T coach that would fit perfectly in Clinton.

8. Battle Holley: Head Coach at East Duplin, he would be a phenomenal hire for the Darkhorses.

9. Eric Leary : Former White Oak head coach, he's another Wing-T coach that would fit in well with Clinton.

10. Larry Brock: Former North Brunswick head coach, he's one of the best Wing-T coaches in NC, he'd be a great hire

.....I agree with the list for the most part but I don't see Mallard wanting to comeback after the fallout from before....I dont see Coach Hall coming out of retirement and I don't think Holley would leave what he has at ED for Clinton........also not a big fan of Salas really didn't like that defensive scheme DBs playing zone etc etc 3rd and 3 and our DBs are lined up 10 yards away from the WRs

I've heard the new coach has been decided and it's a done deal. And, no, it's not Jackson.

Leonard Henry seems to be a fan favorite he has been a assistant during different times at Clinton and Midway and obviously a great player when he played....but has only served as a position coach would like to see how he does as a coordinator before making that big of a jump to head coach

Also heard a rumor that Avant Jr. is interested in the job aswell

If Jackson does get it, they'll need a new crew to blow up the helmet before home games.

James Ray is focused on basketball at the moment, but I'm sure he can be talked into it by spring practice.

Scratching my head, I think this “Jackson” deal is someone joking around. No clue who “Jackson” is and no one will say. Good one guys lol.

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
DH34 - Not sure why you feel Bell is such a great candidate b/c he had 1 good year as JV head coach. Keep in mind he had Skinner, Tyion Wright, and several other very good players on that team. If he was such an outstanding head coach, why was he replaced? From the things I've heard from recent players and others, there are many issues that would prevent him from being a legit candidate.

I'm fairly certain a portion of the other "in house" candidates don't have teaching certs and/or aren't even interested in the job. From what I understand, the short list of targets consists of Arnette and a couple of outside candidates.

DH34 - Not sure why you feel Bell is such a great candidate b/c he had 1 good year as JV head coach. Keep in mind he had Skinner, Tyion Wright, and several other very good players on that team. If he was such an outstanding head coach, why was he replaced? From the things I've heard from recent players and others, there are many issues that would prevent him from being a legit candidate.

I'm fairly certain a portion of the other "in house" candidates don't have teaching certs and/or aren't even interested in the job. From what I understand, the short list of targets consists of Arnette and a couple of outside candidates.

He had more than "one good year"....I liked his play calling style still ran the traditional smashmouth T but mixed in plenty of different things to take advantage of his players skills getting guys into space....the year before ryheem and tyion got there he went 9-1 and went 8-2 in 2014.....I don't know why he was replaced im not on the staff,but I don't Lewis kept him around for for his good looks obviously he has something to offer the program........it's Arnette's job if he wants it so the rest of this doesn't matter

Wow. Either a unhappy former player scorned for lack of PT or a parent of said player. Your opinion is your opinion and you have a right to it, however I know a lot of former players who would run through a wall for coach Bell. He does so much work behind the scenes to get some kids who even thought about not playing, to decide too play because of coach Bell. For whatever you opinion on his coaching abilities and him having great players, your right he did, and so did Coach Lewis when they moved up to Varisty. I’ve always believed a Coach is only as good as his players. Do u think Nick Saban coaching Akron would make them a top 10 team? No, doesn’t mean he isn’t a darn good coach but without players you don’t win.

As good of a coach as coach Lewis is, ask him if why he thinks some of his teams were good enough to win titles and some weren’t even good enough to win enough games to make the playoffs. Simple answer: Players. His coaching stayed the same. So you can take your “he had great players” point and give it a rest. Oh and BTW, Coach Bell was 26–4 in 3 seasons and the same class that just went 6-6 went 8-2 under Coach Bell at JV level so his “1 good season” is not accurate. He was also moved up to Varisty by request for assistance for Varisty only so that is why someone replaced him as JV coach. Facts are facts man.

You are correct though that coach Bell won’t be considered for HC of Clinton. He doesn’t have the experience as a HC that the boosters would be looking for, not to mention as I’ve recently been told he hasn’t even entered his name in the hat for consideration yet. Doesn’t mean he isn’t a darn good coach. He wouldn’t of been kept on staff if he wasn’t. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkhorse#34
Wow. Either a unhappy former player scorned for lack of PT or a parent of said player. Your opinion is your opinion and you have a right to it, however I know a lot of former players who would run through a wall for coach Bell. He does so much work behind the scenes to get some kids who even thought about not playing, to decide too play because of coach Bell. For whatever you opinion on his coaching abilities and him having great players, your right he did, and so did Coach Lewis when they moved up to Varisty. I’ve always believed a Coach is only as good as his players. Do u think Nick Saban coaching Akron would make them a top 10 team? No, doesn’t mean he isn’t a darn good coach but without players you don’t win.

As good of a coach as coach Lewis is, ask him if why he thinks some of his teams were good enough to win titles and some weren’t even good enough to win enough games to make the playoffs. Simple answer: Players. His coaching stayed the same. So you can take your “he had great players” point and give it a rest. Oh and BTW, Coach Bell was 26–4 in 3 seasons and the same class that just went 6-6 went 8-2 under Coach Bell at JV level so his “1 good season” is not accurate. He was also moved up to Varisty by request for assistance for Varisty only so that is why someone replaced him as JV coach. Facts are facts man.

You are correct though that coach Bell won’t be considered for HC of Clinton. He doesn’t have the experience as a HC that the boosters would be looking for, not to mention as I’ve recently been told he hasn’t even entered his name in the hat for consideration yet. Doesn’t mean he isn’t a darn good coach. He wouldn’t of been kept on staff if he wasn’t. Plain and simple.

You hit the nail right on the head with that one

If Arnette accepts the job I hope he brings Shameek back with him...imagine pairing him up with Smith and Javiah Cruise that LB core would be legit.....also rotating him and Jalen at fullback ummmm

I just hope Jalen doesn't quit on us next season like he did in Week 1 of the playoffs. Knowlydge Evans can handle fullback duties just like he did at First Flight.

I just hope Jalen doesn't quit on us next season like he did in Week 1 of the playoffs. Knowlydge Evans can handle fullback duties just like he did at First Flight.

Thought Evans would be considered for starting QB position

I could see the offensive backfield looking like this

QB Evans
Rotating RBs between Faison,Armwood and Wallace.....Jamelle Williams another who could see some carries
FB:Smith and Darby(assuming he comes back for HCA with Arnette)

Think that would be a pretty efficient backfield....and move Mclellan #23 from RB to WR which is what he played at JK

We have the skill players to make some noise it's all going to depend on how the linemen progress hope those boys are hitting the weights(and the dinner plates) the line last year was just too light in the a$$ if you know what i mean

Last edited:
Whoever is hired, timing is important with spring footballl coming up and the much more participation level in summer now allowed the sooner the hiring the better.

So anybody know the timeline for a decision? Have they started interviewing yet? I would think they would like to have whoever it will be in place before Spring workouts

Well Lakewood just hired their new coach Barrett Sloan son of Former Midway Coach Tommy Sloan.....whelp still 2 sampson county schools without a head coach Midway and Clinton still waiting to hear something

Well the Sampson County board met last night. I see they approved Coach Sloan's son as the new coach at Lakewood. Does this mean Tommy will come out of retirement?

Also was there a name thrown around for Clinton? It's getting time to get things rolling.

Any word on timeline for decision??? Spring is right round the corner....have interviews taken place yet??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT