ADVERTISEMENT

Lake Norman 28 Mallard Creek 24

Aug 24, 2009
Was this a statement win for Lake Norman. Or is the Creek down this year.

That 4th down and 2 call on their own 44, with like 3 to go up 2......and not converting... that one will be talked about for a while.

I was fine with it. Up 24-15 with 6:30 left against a team that throws it about 4 times a game and you can't close it out, you don't deserve to win.

Like I said, very average right now with alot of teams licking their chops after getting rolled for the last decade. My biggest concern right now is they have played 2 games and have been the less physical team on both nights. Can't win games like that.

I was fine with it. Up 24-15 with 6:30 left against a team that throws it about 4 times a game and you can't close it out, you don't deserve to win.

Like I said, very average right now with alot of teams licking their chops after getting rolled for the last decade. My biggest concern right now is they have played 2 games and have been the less physical team on both nights. Can't win games like that.

Lake Norman competing up front wasn’t as much of a shock to me.... they are strong on that o line. But their discipline is what makes them. They just execute to a T and that’s just great coaching

Creek coaching on the defensive side has been highly questionable and the physicality has been non existent

After 8-10 years of domination the Creek fans need to calm down. Its truly sad to see some of the commentary on social media. Brand new staff, Covid, no 7 on 7, no scrimmage and limited practice. 2 starters back both WR's. This team is going to take some time. There is alot of work to be done but I will choose to evaluate at the end of the year not after 2 games.

Nobody is a bigger fan of Mike Palmieri than myself. Built a great program and set the bar very high but lets not forget that the last 2 years started off great and ended with first round playoff losses.

They havent played well and frankly its about what I expected. My biggest concern is tackling and physical play at the point of attack. It has been poor as Kalefah1 has said. Lot of arm tackles and RB's running through multiple defenders. The Imeck is the most physical conf in NC. That has to get fixed.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
After 8-10 years of domination the Creek fans need to calm down. Its truly sad to see some of the commentary on social media. Brand new staff, Covid, no 7 on 7, no scrimmage and limited practice. 2 starters back both WR's. This team is going to take some time. There is alot of work to be done but I will choose to evaluate at the end of the year not after 2 games.

Nobody is a bigger fan of Mike Palmieri than myself. Built a great program and set the bar very high but lets not forget that the last 2 years started off great and ended with first round playoff losses.

They havent played well and frankly its about what I expected. My biggest concern is tackling and physical play at the point of attack. It has been poor as Kalefah1 has said. Lot of arm tackles and RB's running through multiple defenders. The Imeck is the most physical conf in NC. That has to get fixed.
There's nothing to see here...I agree with the combo of new regime change with no off season and covid hitting....creek will get things together. Only concern and I said it when it happened, it goes along with the saying..if it not broke don't fix it...why bring in an outside coach who doesn't want to keep some of the same people that was on the previous staff. Me personally I would have hired Stone as coach but I'm not in the know of how stone was with the uppers. Thats one good thing I give Ferebee props for he seen how things were and what AB and AD Rich built he didn't want to change anything..jus add what he brings to make it better. I feel with the culture there things will get better in time. The key game will b the Hough game....this could literally make the wheels fall off if that game goes wrong.

Mallard Creek with a new Coaching Staff. It might take time for things to gel. Lake Norman they do have a good group of talent coming up.

From my understanding, we're already out of the playoffs. Watch out for Butler this year. They're quietly putting together a contender.

Coaching makes a difference? Nothing at all against the current coach. It's always tough to follow someone like Palmieri, who attracted much talent. Just a thought.

Reactions: UNC91
From my understanding, we're already out of the playoffs. Watch out for Butler this year. They're quietly putting together a contender.

shhhhh. Some people didn’t even have Butler in the top 15 of their 4A preseason polls from what I saw lololol

Reactions: UNC91
Coaching makes a difference? Nothing at all against the current coach. It's always tough to follow someone like Palmieri, who attracted much talent. Just a thought.
When you're a part of the CMS School system, and you win every Conference Championship and go to 4 State Championships, winning 3, yet you make the same amount as the guy who won 2 games. It was time for him to reevaluate his options. The guys a rare breed. He's also spent as much time with his JV squads, as he realized they were his future. Great developer of talent. There are kids playing D1 Football, that he recruited out of the Lunch room, and walking the halls at the Creek.

Last edited:
A little off topic but maybe some creek guys know what did Palmieri do In SC this past year.

A little off topic but maybe some creek guys know what did Palmieri do In SC this past year.
Palmeri’s 1st year, moved up from 3A to 6A with a skeleton of a squad. 1st time in school history, team made it to the playoffs, with about 29 players. Denmark is a Magnet school, so kids are already in route.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrhonda and UNC91
That 4th down and 2 call on their own 44, with like 3 to go up 2......and not converting... that one will be talked about for a while.
Most of the time, I wouldn't see an issue with this. But if you punt, you force a team that can't throw to go 70 yards in 3 minutes. I would have preferred those odds for MC.

Think WC gives MC a great game this week and possibly wins. MC lost a great coach, during an already decline with Vance roaring and being the hot school for football. Sometimes a coach defines a program and Palmeri was MC football. Agree with hiring someone on staff to hold the line vs. a culture shock. Butler hired Hales, Catholic hired Brodowicz = success. West Charlotte hired Helms= disaster, Indy hired Hardin = disaster, Young disaster. Sometimes continuity is needed vs. a new voice. Think Stone, Littlejohn or the OC would have done great jobs too. Time will tell.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Think WC gives MC a great game this week and possibly wins. MC lost a great coach, during an already decline with Vance roaring and being the hot school for football. Sometimes a coach defines a program and Palmeri was MC football. Agree with hiring someone on staff to hold the line vs. a culture shock. Butler hired Hales, Catholic hired Brodowicz = success. West Charlotte hired Helms= disaster, Indy hired Hardin = disaster, Young disaster. Sometimes continuity is needed vs. a new voice. Think Stone, Littlejohn or the OC would have done great jobs too. Time will tell.

easy to say that after the fact. I think Creek and any school really that has a new HC caught a tough break with covid and all the complications it comes with. New system and not lots of time to implement it with all the pauses during this offseason

Nah, said it at the time. NO hindsight. MC had several qualified coaches but think the AD had relationship with Kennedy. MC has something special over there. Kennedy is a great coach, but fit means alot. Lake Norman/WC will be tough teams in a few years. Hopewell too. Imeck is changing fast.

Reactions: Wiseman83
Nah, said it at the time. NO hindsight. MC had several qualified coaches but think the AD had relationship with Kennedy. MC has something special over there. Kennedy is a great coach, but fit means alot. Lake Norman/WC will be tough teams in a few years. Hopewell too. Imeck is changing fast.

LKN is leaving the Imeck this fall.

Conference 57
A.L. Brown
Cox Mill
Hickory Ridge
Lake Norman
Mooresville
South Iredell
West Cabarrus

I love Hopewell but i think after this class leave , they will struggle a tad. Bryd a great coach tho so you never know but they lose a lot after this covid spring season

It was a calculated risk. No doubt. just not ready to punt on the decision after two games under the worst possible scenario. Just not fair. Tinsley and staff should get a season to get their program in place. Then we can call it a success or failure. It wasnt all that long ago people were screaming about Palmieri not being able to win a big game.

Vance went outside with Brand and it worked out OK.

Sometimes there is a reason why a guy taps out at the asst level and it has little to do with football.

Vance kept just about everything Brand built, and the defensive and key coaches stayed. Much different than MC going outside. Vance added a piece to a train. Also Palmieri was the only coach MC ever had and built the culture. MC was in a talented area, but Palmieri built ground up, and focused on that weight room. MC was already trending down some with him. Vance was trying to get over a hump and was built for long term success IMHO From Wilkes to Brand to Ferebee Vance was coached and built really well.

Also Vance AD is a beast at hiring talent. Richardson is built different and can relate to talented players and their families. Once Vance changes to Chambers think they really take of as a school and that only helps sports.

Vance kept just about everything Brand built, and the defensive and key coaches stayed. Much different than MC going outside. Vance added a piece to a train. Also Palmieri was the only coach MC ever had and built the culture. MC was in a talented area, but Palmieri built ground up, and focused on that weight room. MC was already trending down some with him. Vance was trying to get over a hump and was built for long term success IMHO From Wilkes to Brand to Ferebee Vance was coached and built really well.

Also Vance AD is a beast at hiring talent. Richardson is built different and can relate to talented players and their families. Once Vance changes to Chambers think they really take of as a school and that only helps sports.

IMO the State Championship game last year was Vance vs Mallard Creek. Vance offense might have had 50 yards rushing, and subject to over 10 sacks. The Creek would've been a bad match up, for every team left in the playoffs. MC was 1 stop away, with less than a minute left in the game from winning. Props to Vance for pulling it out. Even the Vance coaches would admit, no one could figure out the Creeks game plan the second half of that game. Screw the Air Raid. You have 4 FBS Lineman with a 5 star athlete, with a host of stud Rb's. Run it down their throat. (SEE DUTCH FORK GAME) Game Over. There was absolutely nothing Vance could have done about it. Hough had just rushed for over 300 yards against them earlier. The blueprint was already made. In regards to them trending down. Last year Creeks JV, squad destroyed everyone they played. Not one team was ever in the game. Arguably the best JV team in School history. They have the same talent this year, as the 2nd State Championship team. The talent is there. It takes a certain type of cockiness and swag to be top dog. Vance took it away from the Creek the 1st game, and I'm hoping we can find it again. If we don't, parents will be making moves to other programs. The Chatter has already started. TODAY! Vance is the Monster's of NC! but don't Sleep on Butler! :)

Nepsy agree 100%. MC was tight to me in that game. JMHO. The Hough loss by Vance was very perplexing. MC was/is absolutely loaded. Most folks that follow MC/Vance football know that there would be some growing pains with MC this year. Thats why I said hire from within. Yes the chatter has started......Some say give guy time and they should, but these rumblings been in place all summer, and all fall long. The struggle is not a surprise to most.

VANCE IS A MONSTER

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
I love Hopewell but i think after this class leave , they will struggle a tad. Bryd a great coach tho so you never know but they lose a lot after this covid spring season
What makes Byrd a great coach? I watch them on both sides of the ball and do not see anything that shows "great coaching". It is also evident over last couple of years they do not spend the time in the weightroom that they should.

What makes Byrd a great coach? I watch them on both sides of the ball and do not see anything that shows "great coaching". It is also evident over last couple of years they do not spend the time in the weightroom that they should.
Great Culture
They at least have WON some games under Bryd Remember before Bryd they went like what 3-4 season at 0-11 .

They have some talent n they gotten their player recruited like JuJu Gray who know at NC State

There a lot of positives- Yes maybe on the field the result aren’t the best n I’m sure maybe some things they could do better at but Overall Hopewell is in better shape then previously were imo

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Nepsy agree 100%. MC was tight to me in that game. JMHO. The Hough loss by Vance was very perplexing. MC was/is absolutely loaded. Most folks that follow MC/Vance football know that there would be some growing pains with MC this year. Thats why I said hire from within. Yes the chatter has started......Some say give guy time and they should, but these rumblings been in place all summer, and all fall long. The struggle is not a surprise to most.

VANCE IS A MONSTER

Lets not forget that MC was missing their top two recievers in that playoff game. Metcalf was the difference in the first game.

The reality is that MC was having some success on the ground early in that game. Their only score came on the ground. They just fell in love with those four verticals and played right into Hacketts strength.

Gotta give Vance alot of credit though. Especially Grier. They had him stopped 3 or 4 times in that last drive. He kept making plays.

Reactions: nepsy7
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT