ADVERTISEMENT

Lady Knights SMC Champs

BK13T-$

Jul 23, 2009
Robbinsville 67
Murphy 50

Robbinsville is the only team to beat Murphy in 2 years.

Congrats Lucas Ford and The Lady Knights.
Impressive with two double digit wins over Murphy.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I'd say we will be better next year.
Only losing 1 starter.

Congrats. Robbinsville a real bad matchup for Murphy this season with Murphy's lack of perimeter quickness and point guard play. Knew losing Wilson to Rabun Gap would hurt but it's especially obvious against a smaller quick team like Robbinsville.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Murphy could still make a deep run, just depends on what kind of draw they get. I doubt they'll see another point guard as talented and quick as Trammell in the playoffs unless they rematch Robbinsville. Hopefully Murphy and Robbinsville end up on opposite sides of the bracket.

Last edited:
Agreed Blackcat the draw is beyond ridiculous for those at the top. Could be 13-0 12-0, 13-1, 12-2 and be a 9 seed and have to go on the road the entire playoffs or have the two best teams play in the first round.

Going to be an interesting playoffs. Several teams out there with 0 or only a lose or two. But who have they played? I know that while they should/could make another deep run the WHC has not been a good proving ground for Mitchell this season. A conference that was as good as any in the state just a couple years ago was just BAD this year. Mitchell has been consistent (and played I think really well. But man it is hard to tell) and Heritage has some really good talent but they were young with 5 freshman getting playing time. Outside of those just nothing.

Mitchell has a lot of talent but has not been tested yet. How will they react when in a close game and need a bucket or a late stop?

What about E Surry are they back to Title contenders, or just weak competition? I know Robbinsville and Murphy will be tough outs. Community school of Davidson? They have been good the past few years but not at contender level. Is this year different?

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: 97Cougar
Agreed Blackcat the draw is beyond ridiculous for those at the top. Could be 13-0 12-0, 13-1, 12-2 and be a 9 seed and have to go on the road the entire playoffs or have the two best teams play in the first round.

Going to be an interesting playoffs. Several teams out there with 0 or only a lose or two. But who have they played? I know that while they should/could make another deep run the WHC has not been a good proving ground for Mitchell this season. A conference that was as good as any in the state just a couple years ago was just BAD this year. Mitchell has been consistent (and played I think really well. But man it is hard to tell) and Heritage has some really good talent but they were young with 5 freshman getting playing time. Outside of those just nothing.

Mitchell has a lot of talent but has not been tested yet. How will they react when in a close game and need a bucket or a late stop?

What about E Surry are they back to Title contenders, or just weak competition? I know Robbinsville and Murphy will be tough outs. Community school of Davidson? They have been good the past few years but not at contender level. Is this year different?

Go Mountaineers
The west on paper is definitely loaded. I can’t speak for other conferences, but the Big Smoky was fairly strong this year IMO. Cherokee could beat anyone on any given night, Swain has talent but hasn’t quite figured out how to win the big games just yet. Rosman will have to be dealt with over the next few years with the young team they have. Their freshman guard is a heck of a player. How it all plays out? It definitely could be a luck of the draw scenario...

Go Mountaineers

I watched East Surry last night on NFHS against Mount Airy and they looked pretty legit. Good guard play and good post play. They do have a non-conf win over Reidsville who will be in the 2A playoffs. Bishop could make some noise if they get in as a wildcard. Will be interesting.

joke bracket, Robbinsville and East Surry in the 2nd round is a travesty. Murphy on the same side of the bracket as both. Mitchell will cakewalk to regional finals.
No doubt the brackets are top heavy. Best 6 seed you could ask for, from a Mitchell point of view. Top will be a battle every night. Just a joke that the 2 possible best teams play in round 2.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: 97Cougar and mbdfan
East Surry & Robbinsville in the 2nd round is tough. The state could have done a better job than this.

No doubt the brackets are top heavy. Best 6 seed you could ask for, from a Mitchell point of view. Top will be a battle every night. Just a joke that the 2 possible best teams play in round 2.

Go Mountaineers
Mitchell is definitely in the conversation for best 1A team but its unfortunate that arguably the other 5 best western teams are in the top half of the bracket together. The best team Mitchell will see is Bishop 2nd round at home, no one else can even give them a game in the bottom half.

Last edited:
East Surry & Robbinsville in the 2nd round is tough. The state could have done a better job than this.
East Surry - Robbinsville is a regional final caliber game that will be played in the 2nd round, even with a 32 team bracket that's super egregious.

Just wait until football, I cant wait to see an undefeated or one loss Murphy team roll up to Bessemer City or some crap in the 2nd round.

The west on paper is definitely loaded. I can’t speak for other conferences, but the Big Smoky was fairly strong this year IMO. Cherokee could beat anyone on any given night, Swain has talent but hasn’t quite figured out how to win the big games just yet. Rosman will have to be dealt with over the next few years with the young team they have. Their freshman guard is a heck of a player. How it all plays out? It definitely could be a luck of the draw scenario...

I also think Rosman will be tough for several years to come, but of course I am a little biased being a Tiger fan. I hate that we are switching conferences in the middle of a strong run for our program. I am not sure what to expect in the new conference, but it seems like there are some strong girls programs there as well. We started 2 freshmen and 2 sophs on the 3rd place team in the conference this year. Girls basketball in the SMC is and has been a lot of fun and usually very competitive.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Mitchell is definitely in the conversation for best 1A team but its unfortunate that arguably the other 5 best western teams are in the top half of the bracket together. The best team Mitchell will see is Bishop 2nd round at home, no one else can even give them a game in the bottom half.

I think Mitchell is the best traditional school in 1a this year. It’s hard to beat schools that can recruit from a huge metropolitan area

I think Mitchell is the best traditional school in 1a this year. It’s hard to beat schools that can recruit from a huge metropolitan area
I don't think charters are your worry, other than Bishop traditional have been the top 1A girls teams for the most part.

I think East Surry is probably the best 1A team based on the fact that they pretty much brought everybody back from what I felt was the most talented team Murphy saw in the playoffs last year but Mitchell is definitely in the discussion, I would have Mitchell 2nd and Robbinsville 3rd but those schools will have the opportunity to prove they're #1.

Robbinsville will have CC 1 game
E. Surry 2nd game
CSOD 3rd game if Murphy doesn't beat CSOD.
CSOD is ranked #1 by maxpreps.

Can Chatham Charter & Clover Garden knock ES or Robbinsville off in the 1st round? Both have very solid records.

I wouldn't count them out.

Robbinsville is young with 1 senior 2 junior 2 sophomores starting. We should be better next year.

I don't think charters are your worry, other than Bishop traditional have been the top 1A girls teams for the most part.

I think East Surry is probably the best 1A team based on the fact that they pretty much brought everybody back from what I felt was the most talented team Murphy saw in the playoffs last year but Mitchell is definitely in the discussion, I would have Mitchell 2nd and Robbinsville 3rd but those schools will have the opportunity to prove they're #1.

if it hadn’t been for bishop we’d had two more state titles

if it hadn’t been for bishop we’d had two more state titles
There were many (almost all) of those years that a Cherokee, Mount Airy, East Surry, Robbinsville, Mitchell, etc. would have won the state title had Bishop not been in the picture, unfortunate for the western 1A traditional schools and 1A schools in general.

Murphy had a great volleyball team this year (one kid committed to Notre Dame and another in Rogers that could be D1 in volleyball if hoops wasn't her favorite) and would've probably won the state title or at the very least made it to the title game with no Bishop or charters in the picture. But that's the unfortunate reality of most 1A sports now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mhsneer and BK13T-$
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT