ADVERTISEMENT

King leaves Havelock

Btango what was being told at the time JBB left Havelock was that he needed to stay instate 1 more year. That comes from the same round of sources I've been hearing about Wooten for the last couple of weeks. I trust that source to be pretty good. Then JBB leaves after 1 year so it seems mighty solid. In fact I think I stated that after he took the Freedom job but I'm not 100% sure if I did. I know me and Fb is my life discussed it between us. We share info a lot as well as sources

I know more people in Morganton than a guy on the coast should. LOL Most told me they didn't think JBB would be there long term when he was hired. At the very least, the hope was no matter how long he stayed he would have had the program on solid footing and moving upward. Freedom had success at basketball and they wanted to take a shot at it with football.

Doyle was hired the first of Aug in 2016. JBB had already gotten in a bit of trouble over an incident at JH Rose with a Rose player. I want there and didn't see it so that is the extent I can say about that. But the week of our game with Havelock in 2016 he started complaining to the county office and our coaches about not having room for his staff and him in our press box. West Craven was not going to bend over backwards to make more room for him. We had 1 coach up there and all Havelock would have room for was one coach. Doyle told him that. He then started threatening to rent a lift and bring to West Craven. He would not be allowed on the track with it but was saying he would set it behind the visitors stand and he would get on that. His fans were a distraction.
Come game time he went to the head ref after they came onto the field and complained to him saying they had been denyed access to the press box which was not true. The head ref had no idea the superitendant had already dealt with this. He told our AD to fix the issue and in the process he took 5 minutes off the pregame clock. I never heard why but we failed to notice and get word to the coaches in the field house. Our team missed the national anthem over that. It was embarrassing as Havelock is a military community that a lot of Vanceboro people work there. The AD called Doyle and she was able to handle it and told both schools to be at her office on Monday. She told JBB to get on his sideline like our head coach and shut his mouth. He ended up in the stands on West Craven's side behind the student section. My daughter was in high school and texted me that JBB was right behind her. I'm always in the endzone so I called her and told her she better not bother him and to pay him no mind. I told her to make sure her friends left him alone. I figured he was trying to bait the students to get something started. JBB was a piece of work. The relations between our schools was getting terrible and it had always been good before him. Even in the 70's we got along like sister schools and they were beating us 70-0 back then. It had nothing to do with losing.
We were glad to see him go and I felt sure King would keep it rolling. It's a shame things have turned out like they have with pay in NC. Doyle is making a mistake not looking out for the money sports at our high schools. We have to be competitive with our neighboring states.

To Correct Non-Factual Statements:

I was on the sidelines at most every Havelock game.

Rose Game:

One of their coaches grabbed a Havelock player by the neck and pushed him on their sideline. No flags were thrown but the Havelock player told an Asst. Coach on the sideline and Havelock had video evidence of this. Coach Bryant confronted the coach after the game. Bryant met with Super to go over what actually happened that night and Super called Rose AD. CC office made an official statement about said incident and had it on film. The Rose coach was reprimanded for the incident and suspended two games....not Bryant.

Facts!

West Craven Play-Off Game:

West Craven played an away game at Havelock earlier in the regular season and I saw WC Coaches in the press box at Havelock. The press box is the same for the visiting coaches as it is for the home coaches. All coaches, home and away have the same accommodations…whether they use it or not is up to them. Bryant had been in the booth calling plays since the 3rd or 4th week of the season.

He was going to be in the booth or outside of the booth spotting like he had been all season long. The NC rules state that each team is awarded the same accommodations at each play-off game. From what was said...Havelock was gonna have to spot from their visitor side small perch, along with news media, and their own camera people. WC on the other hand was gonna have spotters on the outside of the home press box, with nothing out there with them. Havelock asked for the same accommodations on the other side of the home press box with no other distractions. WC put a TV station in that spot and the Refs made the proper call and fixed the situation. I heard the WC coach tell Bryant after the game that he had nothing to do with that situation and he was sorry. Facts!

West Craven/Havelock Tensions:

West Craven had several players disqualified and or ejected for punching players, eye gouging, stepping on fingers as they got off of piles, and ripping down posters that Havelock Cheerleaders had made for players. One year when that happened during the play-offs, Havelock players left the field after the game and did not shake hands bc of fear that WC would incite a fight and have them thrown out of the play-offs. The principal at Havelock agreed that the players should avoid contact after the game and sent Havelock players to the locker room.

Facts!

Since 2008: Havelock is 11 and 2 versus West Craven. Havelock also has 3 State Championships, 9 East Region Finals, 9 Conference Championships, 5 East Region Championships!

Facts!

Havelock has a great program but it is discerning how difficult it has been for them because of the Craven County funding or lack thereof. Football is a huge source of income for the sports programs at high schools. It bothers me when the county seems to not care about sports in the county schools. So many of our counties kid's have used sports as a way to attend college and even move to the Pro's. For many of these kid's they may be the first in their family to be able to attend college. Yet so many times the school will steal athletic funds to spend in other areas. However when election time comes the very same BOE members will be re-elected again and the same crap will continue to happen. Good coaches like JBB and Caleb will move to South Carolina or Georgia where they can get paid like most other States pay. NC will continue to be NC.
100% spot on in your assessment!

Btango what was being told at the time JBB left Havelock was that he needed to stay instate 1 more year.

I thought the same thing at the time. When he was interviewing at Mooresville I mentioned to a person there that I thought he only had one year left for twenty. They told me he had enough time in for twenty. I was not sure if that was teaching or also included any accrued sick days. He graduated from Williamston in 1991 and ECU in 1995. His first season as an assistant coach was at Williamston for the 1996 season.

JBB was planning on staying at Freedom for a few years then go south. The principal was changed after he was hired, and that changed things quickly. Anyway, he made Havelock what they are today IMO. King kept it going, and now we'll see how Coach Wooten does. He's done pretty good at GC with less athletes than at some schools in his previous conference. Hope he does well at Havelock and they keep things rolling as one of the best programs in the East.

JBB was planning on staying at Freedom for a few years then go south. The principal was changed after he was hired, and that changed things quickly. Anyway, he made Havelock what they are today IMO. King kept it going, and now we'll see how Coach Wooten does. He's done pretty good at GC with less athletes than at some schools in his previous conference. Hope he does well at Havelock and they keep things rolling as one of the best programs in the East.

Havelock has been a really good program since the early 70's. Wilbur did really good when he was the coach. He could be fiery as all get out but when the game was over he was a fella you couldn't help but like. First time I saw him coach I thought he was crazy. Turns out he was but in a good way. I'm struggling to remember his father in law's name right now but he was a good man too. After Wilbur retired he would sometimes come to our game with his father in law and stand with us. Havelock has always been close with West Craven. The schools are built from the same plans. The Havelock principle for years Mr Gainey was the Principle at Farmlife in Vanceboro before West Craven was built. High school programs seem to have periods of good talent and then have periods that they will struggle. Seems sometimes every 10 yrs or so a program will experience that. I wish Wilbur had had a chance to coach the kid's that won those 3 titles. For what he was able to accomplish he deserved that. Fate had other plans.

Wilbur Sasser was a great coach and made Havelock a solid program. Seems they were down a little when JBB got there and he took it to great levels with those three in a row. I got all kind of respect for the program and their tradition. I think they're in good hands with Coach Wooten. He's good people.

Reactions: ramball101
Wilbur Sasser 1979 to 2003 record: 207-76-2
Started a great run for Havelock!
Several Conference Championships and an appearance in State Championship Game

Charlie Smith 2004 to 2007 record: 13-31
6 and 5 first year 7 and 26 last 3

Jim Bob Bryant 2008 to 2016 record: 118-16
3 State Championships/7 Conference Championships/4 Region Championships

Caleb King 2017 to 2018 record: 27-3
2 Conference Championships/1 Region Championship

Alan Wooten 2019 to: Keep it going!

Why do people seem to forget about Frank Camilo (May have been mispelled) at Havelock. He was successful in the 70’s and probably coached the best team hHavelock ever had.

Reactions: seadog28
Why do people seem to forget about Frank Camilo (May have been mispelled) at Havelock. He was successful in the 70’s and probably coached the best team hHavelock ever had.

In addition to the title and runner up at Havelock lost in two state finals while at Whiteville.

Last edited:

I wasn't sure of the spelling either but mentioned the early 70's. Probably because there are not many 60+ year olds on here. As a jr high and high school student in Vanceboro during his era I didn't really know him but I remember the whoopings.
Heck in 76 we had our best team at West Craven in the short history of the school. But during the week leading up to the Havelock game our only goal was simply we wanted to be the first West Craven team to put points on the board against Havelock. We gave them a fight @ Havelock. We had a punt return for a td called back for holding. No flags were thrown until Don was 10 yds ahead of everyone. Penalty was called on the number of our punter who was watching from the sidelines. We ended up losing 3-0 in 2 or 3 overtimes. It was called the best game in the state by the papers back then. Do I feel we got cheated? Not now but it was a tough long ride home that night. Still seems like just a few months ago. What does playing at Havelock feel like?? I was a backup rb, 1st team on kickoffs because I could get downfield quick. I made a lot of tackles that year because at my small size most runners chose to run toward me. In the Havelock game I only played 1 play, the 2nd half kickoff. I made the tackle and as I was getting up I heard my name being called out on the loudspeaker. How cool was that?? No other game I played in and made a tackle or ran the ball for yards do I remember hearing my name on the loudspeaker. Just Havelock. I never go to a game there that I don't think about that play and hearing that announcer. Not my fault we lost. I was 1-0 they should have played me more.( Fb is my life just spit coffee on his computer screen)For you guys thinking Havelocks dynasty started in 2008 you are way off. Playing them has always been a huge deal.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure of the spelling either but mentioned the early 70's. Probably because there are not many 60+ year olds on here. As a jr high and high school student in Vanceboro during his era I didn't really know him but I remember the whoopings.
Heck in 76 we had our best team at West Craven in the short history of the school. But during the week leading up to the Havelock game our only goal was simply we wanted to be the first West Craven team to put points on the board against Havelock. We gave them a fight @ Havelock. We had a punt return for a td called back for holding. No flags were thrown until Don was 10 yds ahead of everyone. Penalty was called on the number of our punter who was watching from the sidelines. We ended up losing 3-0 in 2 or 3 overtimes. It was called the best game in the state by the papers back then. Do I feel we got cheated? Not now but it was a tough long ride home that night. Still seems like just a few months ago. What does playing at Havelock feel like?? I was a backup rb, 1st team on kickoffs because I could get downfield quick. I made a lot of tackles that year because at my small size most runners chose to run toward me. In the Havelock game I only played 1 play, the 2nd half kickoff. I made the tackle and as I was getting up I heard my name being called out on the loudspeaker. How cool was that?? No other game I played in and made a tackle or ran the ball for yards do I remember hearing my name on the loudspeaker. Just Havelock. I never go to a game there that I don't think about that play and hearing that announcer. Not my fault we lost. I was 1-0 they should have played me more.( Fb is my life just spit coffee on his computer screen)For you guys thinking Havelocks dynasty started in 2008 you are way off. Playing them has always been a huge deal.

Called a block in the back on Ernie. We all knew that was wrong. He never blocked anyone in his life. LOL

Reactions: Otis4411
Havelock has been up and down over the years but mostly up.

The only years I've seen them in person was 03 & 04 and they were not very good either of those years. In 03 Hoggard travelled up to Havelock and the field was very wet even though hadn't rained in days, one set of lights went out during the game ad the scoreboard or play clock never worked during the game. Hoggard was up 17-3 most of 2nd half and after what seemed liked an hour long 4th quarter Havelock scored on final play to lose 17-9.

In 04 Havelock found a way to beat Hoggard 17-14 and I do remember that Rams team had some huge lineman. Havelock lost to Ashley by a bunch in the first round to give Ashley it's only playoff win in school history. I think in big factor for Havelock during that timeframe was they were 4A for a 4 years period and they were going thru a coaching change as Sasser departed after the 03 season.

Also interesting The 71 Havelock team had one on the best Defenses in NC HS football history. they outscored their regular season opponents 418-6 and went 13-0 overall.

I was told by somebody who knows that area very well there is better than a 50% chance Havelock will be 2A in next realignment.

That 71 team is the team fb is my life mentioned above. The best team Havelock ever put on the field.
In my years of watching high school football it has seemed that most schools can have a good team for around 10 years then they may have some down years. The timing of hiring a coach right now is also in that window because Havelock has been good for about 10-11 years. So even if they do have a down year or so it may not necessarily be due to a new coach. It's hard to maintain that level over a long time without a drop off in talent. It happens everywhere.

Havelock was loaded in 1986 also . Played the championship game at Shelby. Shelby won but it was a battle . Great program !

That 71 team is the team fb is my life mentioned above. The best team Havelock ever put on the field.
In my years of watching high school football it has seemed that most schools can have a good team for around 10 years then they may have some down years. The timing of hiring a coach right now is also in that window because Havelock has been good for about 10-11 years. So even if they do have a down year or so it may not necessarily be due to a new coach. It's hard to maintain that level over a long time without a drop off in talent. It happens everywhere.

I can tell you in my opinion, New Bern and West Craven had better Middle School talent the past two years than Havelock, especially last year. It remains to be seen if that means anything.

And Jones Sr, scored the only TD on Havelock that year in a playoff game.

I can tell you in my opinion, New Bern and West Craven had better Middle School talent the past two years than Havelock, especially last year. It remains to be seen if that means anything.

And Jones Sr, scored the only TD on Havelock that year in a playoff game.

Talent is slowly coming back to New Bern. Really like what I see over at Grover and HJ middle schools for the next few years. Hopefully we can make a little bit of noise this year.

Talent is slowly coming back to New Bern. Really like what I see over at Grover and HJ middle schools for the next few years. Hopefully we can make a little bit of noise this year.

How much talent comes out of the Craven Terrace projects?? I'm hearing they may build out in Pleasant Hill and tear the old projects down. If they do that those kids will be in West Cravens district.

How much talent comes out of the Craven Terrace projects?? I'm hearing they may build out in Pleasant Hill and tear the old projects down. If they do that those kids will be in West Cravens district.

They just completed a 27 million dollar renovation last year.

https://www.newbernsj.com/news/20180311/craven-terrace-work-to-be-celebrated

Due to the Hurricane, I heard they were planning to tear down some and rebuild over on Trent Road in New Bern. Haven't heard anything about Pleasant Hill. Plenty of land in New Bern, residents would raise hell if they had to move out all the way over there.

It’s really spread all over New Bern. I do know the the good Pop Warner teams were mostly around the Stanley White Rec Area.

GC had most of the talent in NB this past year. Both Middle Schools in Havelock were as down as I have seen them in about 5 or 6 years.

They just completed a 27 million dollar renovation last year.

https://www.newbernsj.com/news/20180311/craven-terrace-work-to-be-celebrated

Due to the Hurricane, I heard they were planning to tear down some and rebuild over on Trent Road in New Bern. Haven't heard anything about Pleasant Hill. Plenty of land in New Bern, residents would raise hell if they had to move out all the way over there.

It may have been speculation on the part of the person I heard it from.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT