ADVERTISEMENT

King leaves Havelock

wait a minute, I thought the average was over $50,000?

It might be if they are throwing in administrators and those in the county office. I'm talking strictly teachers in the classroom doing hands on work with students. My wife has been teaching over 25 yrs. I know what she makes and she is at that cap. Sometimes they might earn a bonus here and there along the way.

Reactions: Steelers71
It might be if they are throwing in administrators and those in the county office. I'm talking strictly teachers in the classroom doing hands on work with students. My wife has been teaching over 25 yrs. I know what she makes and she is at that cap. Sometimes they might earn a bonus here and there along the way.
Otis, I know also, our legislators said that last year when the teachers marched in Raleigh.If you are not in education you don't know how little it is and most don't care.

Don't forget the state also attempted to take earned tenure away from teachers a few years ago. ( people I voted for and could kick) The state supreme court ruled it was illegal to take something already earned. Its like stealing property. However new teachers hired after that time will not earn tenure. Just what are the incentives for coming to NC to teach? I regularly buy materials for my wifes classroom. Printer paper mostly sometimes there are other things that we will get. We look at it from the viewpoint that we do it for the kids.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Those trying to do away with tenure used the argument that they couldn't fire under performing teachers. It may have made it more difficult but there is a process to deal with that and if it needed more bite then make adjustments to that process. What tenure is / was in place for was to prevent experienced teachers from being replaced in say year 15 or 20 and hiring a new teacher out of college and starting back at the bottom of the scale in pay. There is a reason they started tenure years ago.

I'm in my 19th year teaching in this great state, and I have one more step in my salary. Which will bring me to the cap of 50k. Go to SC when you can because they value athletics and their teachers better in many areas. Here, you need to be in Raleigh, Charlotte, Durham, Chapel Hill, to get the big local supplement for teaching. Then bigger coaching supplements as well.

Has there been any news of a new coach at Havelock?? Seems they would want him there for spring practice.

Has there been any news of a new coach at Havelock?? Seems they would want him there for spring practice.

Very quiet over there. From what I've been told -- looks like it will be a outside hire with the current staff being comfortable as assistants rather than being the HC. With that being said, I can understand the process taking a little longer due to the pay structure in Craven County.

Reactions: Otis4411
Yep, starting salary for year 1 teachers with no experience is $46,200 with no cap that I am aware of.

That is not true. My wife was a substitute teacher for four years, then she went full-time as a teacher and only started at $35,000 a year.

You would think that they would have no problem getting a new Coach. I thought Havelock usually has a good program.

Administration must need a raise this year again! Probably got to give bonuses to some principles. They don't care about the money making sports in this county.
So Otis can we count on you spearheading a campaign to replace the school board?? They are going to ruin sports in Craven County

Well I guess I can get smart with you. LOL. While money is a big issue, there is a little more going on than that there.

You been smart with me all our lives!! Sure. I'm sure they have people taking charge right now but it is surprising nobody has been named. Maybe Dabo wants to get through spring practice before leaving!

They're still in the interview process.

Do you know what or who the process is? Hopefully the Havelock Principle and Athletic Director are the ones leading this and making the call. I'd want as little input as possible with those at the county office.

Basketball and Baseball jobs have been posted. So, I knew the baseball coach was leaving. Is Handley leaving for SC or is he the new HFC at Havelock?

I would think somebody knows something by now. This is ridiculous for a program the quality of Havelock. Craven county must be completely terrible for pay. Just terrible.

Reactions: Otis4411
That's what I figured since he hadn't been named yet. Wonder what domino will fall with the next hire?

This has been kept about as quiet as anything I can remember. I mean nothing coming out, nada.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT