ADVERTISEMENT

King leaves Havelock

Cant pass up that money, 2 of the HCs and ADs in that conf make over 100k... NC cant compete with that pay

I've heard otherwise.

It is not over $100k unless something drastic changed. Probably not double his current pay but right in the ball park.

One of the big positives in SC is often what the coach is expected to do (or not to do) during the school day.

While better than Craven, Pickens County does not pay like the rest of SC.

Most of the schools in SC don’t pay anywhere close to 100k. There are plenty of schools in SC that pay less than the highest paying NC schools. There are also lots of schools in SC where the head coach still has a full teaching schedule. The couple of SC schools where the HC makes 100k+ without teaching get the most publicity, but they are not the norm. Most of the highest paid coaches in SC are also the AD.

It is not over $100k unless something drastic changed. Probably not double his current pay but right in the ball park.

One of the big positives in SC is often what the coach is expected to do (or not to do) during the school day.

Didn't say it was over 100K. Poster claimed it wasn't near it, I stated we heard otherwise. We've been told 90K, which would certainly be more than twice what he made in Craven.

Didn't say it was over 100K. Poster claimed it wasn't near it, I stated we heard otherwise. We've been told 90K, which would certainly be more than twice what he made in Craven.

I agree you did not write $100k. I read where you wrote, "get paid about three times more."
$90k is not double what he was being paid in Craven County but close to it.
Will make in the mid $90k range.

The coach at Pickens HS is another former NC HC.

Easley will be a good place to raise and educate children. Tough decision for Caleb and Jenna. Good luck to the King Family!

Last edited:
Reactions: ncjeff and Otis4411
So according to the scale which is 2 years old the lowest a HC makes in South Carolina is $62,000+. That is not too bad because I know for a fact that a HC in Forsyth County with coaching and weight lifting supplement with years makes in the $60K area depending on years of experience. So SC lowest paid coaches makes almost what some of NC highest paid coaches make. That's kind of depressing

Reactions: ncjeff and Otis4411
Hate to see Caleb leave so soon but I understand it. Dealing with Craven County can get to you. Caleb is a great Coach and a great guy. Good luck to him. Hopefully Havelock can replace him with someone equally easy to get along with. I really though he would be there 5-6 years and take a jump to College ball.

Reactions: seadog28 and ncjeff
Most of the schools in SC don’t pay anywhere close to 100k. There are plenty of schools in SC that pay less than the highest paying NC schools. There are also lots of schools in SC where the head coach still has a full teaching schedule. The couple of SC schools where the HC makes 100k+ without teaching get the most publicity, but they are not the norm. Most of the highest paid coaches in SC are also the AD.
Don't let the AD part fool you, Knotts does nothing remotely that looks like what an AD does but order his own equipment. And he has his own secretary. Give him a call!!!

Hate to see Caleb leave so soon but I understand it. Dealing with Craven County can get to you. Caleb is a great Coach and a great guy. Good luck to him. Hopefully Havelock can replace him with someone equally easy to get along with. I really though he would be there 5-6 years and take a jump to College ball.

Is he going to take your boy down there to help him?

So according to the scale which is 2 years old the lowest a HC makes in South Carolina is $62,000+. That is not too bad because I know for a fact that a HC in Forsyth County with coaching and weight lifting supplement with years makes in the $60K area depending on years of experience. So SC lowest paid coaches makes almost what some of NC highest paid coaches make. That's kind of depressing

That is depressing, sad and actually quite shocking. The add some more perspective outside the Carolinas I now live about 30 miles north of Dallas in Collin County, TX. Our single HS district is a mid-sized 4A (TX has 6 classes) with a 9-12 enrollment of 882 so if in NC would be 2A. We just hired a new head man who was the previous OC and his annual salary is $92k. He is in his mid 30s and also keep in mind TX has NO state income tax. There is however intense pressure to win as the previous coach was 're-assigned' after an 8-4 season and 2nd round exit with most of players back from a 12-2 team the previous season.

Reactions: CatholicCougs14
That is depressing, sad and actually quite shocking. The add some more perspective outside the Carolinas I now live about 30 miles north of Dallas in Collin County, TX. Our single HS district is a mid-sized 4A (TX has 6 classes) with a 9-12 enrollment of 882 so if in NC would be 2A. We just hired a new head man who was the previous OC and his annual salary is $92k. He is in his mid 30s and also keep in mind TX has NO state income tax. There is however intense pressure to win as the previous coach was 're-assigned' after an 8-4 season and 2nd round exit with most of players back from a 12-2 team the previous season.
This is sad...really sad. When will the state wake up?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT