ADVERTISEMENT

Pinecrest Jumbotron

S2V2

Feb 28, 2018
As I am in Southern Pines Christmas shopping, I noticed something at Pinecrest High School. It was a transfer truck downloading the new "Jumbotron"

My question: Is it as big as the Scots?

In addition - here's Hoke High Schools Jumbotron. Completed back in October

Last edited:
Are all of those paid for with private donations?
Hoke was paid by H&H Homes and an unidentified group of folks.

The H&H Homes individual graduated from Hoke back in the day so that is how that came about.

----- BREAK -----
That makes Scotland, Hoke, and now Pinecrest as the nearby schools with a Jumbotron.

Robeson County needs to come on board. I guess a vested individual is needed since Robeson County has 5 schools. Could the county fulfill all 5 schools with a Jumbotron each? Its not impossible, but where do they start?

COVID cannot be used as an excuse because even though there are priorities in place, they will keep coming either way. So if there are priorities in place, then when does the Jumbotron reach the top?

1. Fairmont High School
2. Lumberton High School
3. Purnel Swett High School
4. Red Springs High School
5. St. Pauls High School

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Steelers71
hey S2V2------ just make a Daily Drug Bust R's make it plain and simple ask D's cartel in Robeson County 4's D's money alls 5 schools will have football complexes.

Hoke was paid by H&H Homes and an unidentified group of folks.

The H&H Homes individual graduated from Hoke back in the day so that is how that came about.

----- BREAK -----
That makes Scotland, Hoke, and now Pinecrest as the nearby schools with a Jumbotron.

Robeson County needs to come on board. I guess a vested individual is needed since Robeson County has 5 schools. Could the county fulfill all 5 schools with a Jumbotron each? Its not impossible, but where do they start?

COVID cannot be used as an excuse because even though there are priorities in place, they will keep coming either way. So if there are priorities in place, then when does the Jumbotron reach the top?

1. Fairmont High School
2. Lumberton High School
3. Purnel Swett High School
4. Red Springs High School
5. St. Pauls High School
I believe these types of expenditures should always be privately funded. Public schools never have enough money for the basics in the classroom. The fact that we’re talking about Jumbotrons as a priority is very weird to me.

I believe these types of expenditures should always be privately funded. Public schools never have enough money for the basics in the classroom. The fact that we’re talking about Jumbotrons as a priority is very weird to me.
I never once said it is a priority. I asked - when does it become a priority.

I never once said it is a priority. I asked - when does it become a priority.
My answer would be never. But I don’t get a vote. I have no problem with anything being donated by private sources. Just don’t think school systems should pay for things like that.

My answer would be never. But I don’t get a vote. I have no problem with anything being donated by private sources. Just don’t think school systems should pay for things like that.
Vested individuals is the best way to go.......... The school systems main focus is inside the building.

Last edited:
Unless one has been in Dix Hill for a mini weekend, visited the Gobi Desert with no laptop or HIFi connection, scaled Mount Everest donning flip flops and a black and white short sleeve shirt that resembles referee attire, has been stuck for ten years in a rented canoe on Walden' Pond, has been the equipment manager for the Atlanta Steam of the Lingerie Football League, or perhaps one has been a manager trainee at a south central Georgia Waffle House for two or three years, while occasionally slippin' out back with the mayor's daughter, Buffy, on extended " smoke breaks. " Other than the above activities, how in the hell could one forget Governor Purnell ?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: S2V2
Unless one has been in Dix Hill for a mini weekend, visited the Gobi Desert with no laptop or HIFi connection, scaled Mount Everest donning flip flops and a black and white short sleeve shirt that resembles referee attire, has been stuck for ten years in a rented canoe on Walden' Pond, has been the equipment manager for the Atlanta Steam of the Lingerie Football League, or perhaps one has been a manager trainee at a south central Georgia Waffle House for two or three years, while occasionally slippin' out back with the mayor's daughter, Buffy, on extended " smoke breaks. " Other than the above activities, how in the hell could one forget Governor Purnell ?
If I may, GSO. The last thang I seen about the Honorable fella is that he was brutally disturbing the inner peace of all professional high school football analyst. Just for that GSO, he tried to come back on the scene sounding like some chinese language speaking fella on steroids to the point that you could not understand one thang. He dismissed himself eventually

I was just making sure GSO, that you have not given all your attention to the farm goats. Now that you make it apparent that you have not forgotten about Governor Purnell, we can begin the 2021 rally just like the old days because as you notice there has been a caravan that has migrated into the scenes. And as always GSO the AALC syndrome still exist...

Were the Confinement Officials beckoned to his lodging facility ?
Yes. It was like being in an L.A Court. They surrounded him as if he was charged with murder. basically he was voted out. Believe it or not GSO, I am in close contact with the fellar today. Through that Facebook thang

I don't see that happening in RobCo. because the county is so disfunctional in thier handling of money. There is not much money or support in the county for academics or athletics. The only one I could see getting one would be Lumberton. They might need to win a few games first. They have the athletes, never seem to have the coaching though. PS is a joke, Faimont is corrupt, St. Pauls is ok, Red Springs is good with solid leadership, but who would flip the bill for any of them to get a Jumbotron?

I know where the frame for one is sitting unoccupied, no Jumbotron, it was repossessed.

I don't see that happening in RobCo. because the county is so disfunctional in thier handling of money. There is not much money or support in the county for academics or athletics. The only one I could see getting one would be Lumberton. They might need to win a few games first. They have the athletes, never seem to have the coaching though. PS is a joke, Faimont is corrupt, St. Pauls is ok, Red Springs is good with solid leadership, but who would flip the bill for any of them to get a Jumbotron?
I agree Robco is different...

Anyone that has a great heart would understand that going from a flip phone(regular scoreboard) to an Iphone12(Jumbotron) would be a great asset to the school no matter what the history of the program looks like. It's about the kids, not the record.

Today’s sports fans expect an amazing experience when they attend sporting events, and a fixed-digit metal box scoreboard simply can’t live up to the expectations of today’s fans.

Upgrading a traditional scoreboard to a multimedia jumbotron can transform any high school into a professional arena! Here recently high schools are finding incredible success transforming into professional arena experiences.

These Jumbotrons not only keep the fans engaged and inviting, but the student-athletes feel a sense of pride when the see themselves on the Big Screen. With a jumbotron, you will not worry about a scoreboard being outdated in 5-10 years. Outside of football it can be used for JROTC, film review, Senior Nights, etc. Having these big screens really add to the engagement of students at the games. Having a Jumbotron where the students would be involved with it in Robeson County is something that should be understood and accepted. It's a way for the student can create all the content and handle the production for the board.

Sure Robeson County can do without all of it, but this is something that I think our kids can really use and I think that it gives them an opportunity and an edge with regards to educational opportunities. I think giving our kids some of the same things other communities have is fair.

I agree Robco is different...

Anyone that has a great heart would understand that going from a flip phone(regular scoreboard) to an Iphone12(Jumbotron) would be a great asset to the school no matter what the history of the program looks like. It's about the kids, not the record.

Today’s sports fans expect an amazing experience when they attend sporting events, and a fixed-digit metal box scoreboard simply can’t live up to the expectations of today’s fans.

Upgrading a traditional scoreboard to a multimedia jumbotron can transform any high school into a professional arena! Here recently high schools are finding incredible success transforming into professional arena experiences.

These Jumbotrons not only keep the fans engaged and inviting, but the student-athletes feel a sense of pride when the see themselves on the Big Screen. With a jumbotron, you will not worry about a scoreboard being outdated in 5-10 years. Outside of football it can be used for JROTC, film review, Senior Nights, etc. Having these big screens really add to the engagement of students at the games. Having a Jumbotron where the students would be involved with it in Robeson County is something that should be understood and accepted. It's a way for the student can create all the content and handle the production for the board.

Sure Robeson County can do without all of it, but this is something that I think our kids can really use and I think that it gives them an opportunity and an edge with regards to educational opportunities. I think giving our kids some of the same things other communities have is fair.
With all due respect, I think your sentence about transforming the stadium into a professional arena describes exactly why I am against Jumbotrons unless they are privately funded. The last thing we need to do with high school sports is to emulate the pros. Way too much of that already. We tend to lose sight of, not only the purpose for high school athletics, but its relationship to academics.
Consider this. If we want or think we should expect the professional experience, should we as fans expect to pay $100 a ticket and ten bucks for a soft drink?

With all due respect, I think your sentence about transforming the stadium into a professional arena describes exactly why I am against Jumbotrons unless they are privately funded. The last thing we need to do with high school sports is to emulate the pros. Way too much of that already. We tend to lose sight of, not only the purpose for high school athletics, but its relationship to academics.
Consider this. If we want or think we should expect the professional experience, should we as fans expect to pay $100 a ticket and ten bucks for a soft drink?
The vested individual would be the one supporting this cause. Tax writ-off. There's just absolutely no support here in Robeson County.

It's more like "if I invest X-amount, you will do what I say on my time"
It's not "I am willing to invest x-amount for the kids and community. Nothing needed in return"

How does this thought balance out: Hoke County is one of the smallest county. Robeson is one of the largest, yet poorest. Neither counties have a true winning history. How does Hoke County receive a Jumbotron?

No company, organization, or millionaire wants to jump on a huge investment like this in Robeson County. Not yesterday, not today, not after the holidays. “Not Right Now” has become the traditional scape pattern for over 30yrs now. Oh let’s not forget COVID. Another excuse Robeson County supporters can use.

So then when is the right time?

Robeson County as a community will never get a Tommy Knotts(12 Championships)(415-64-1) if this mindset continues.

Let me go on record as saying that I hope Thomasville never gets a Jumbotron..,.or a turf field. However, if somebody wins the lottery and wants to help our kids, they could use a well equipped building to promote an advanced manufacturing curriculum.

Let me go on record as saying that I hope Thomasville never gets a Jumbotron..,.or a turf field. However, if somebody wins the lottery and wants to help our kids, they could use a well equipped building to promote an advanced manufacturing curriculum.
If someone wins the lottery they're moving to the Cayman Islands....

Reactions: Ooooner and UNC91
I'm all good with getting turf field, saves tons of money in the long run. But, a jumbotron should not be funded by anything other than private groups. Hoke is a different animal. They are a poor community, but get lots of money from the influx of people living there that work on base. And their former super who is now the super at RobCo. doesn't mind spending money on a coach. Exhibit one is the HC at Hoke. 80k to coach the team. Of course they are friends from way back. So... RobCo just needs to really fix everything related to athletics and academics. Leadeship has been terrible in the county. Maybe the new super will make great changes. And remember Pinecrest was nothing til they hired Metzger. He changed the culture of the school, program, community. Now the wallets are open too. Same could happen at Lumberton if they were to make the right hire.

• Haha
Thomasville spent $37k last year on the field at Cushwa Stadium. To tear out turf and replace with a turf field is about $1 million. And that doesn’t include maintenance of the turf. Life expectancy is about ten years. So, turf is about three times as expensive as maintaining a traditional field. There will be folks who will say that $1 million is high, but that’s been our experience of estimates.
The only way that I can see turf paying off is if you’re in the western part of the state, or if you can rent the field often enough to make up the difference. Unless you have multiple fields, that’s hard to do.

I'm all good with getting turf field, saves tons of money in the long run. But, a jumbotron should not be funded by anything other than private groups. Hoke is a different animal. They are a poor community, but get lots of money from the influx of people living there that work on base. And their former super who is now the super at RobCo. doesn't mind spending money on a coach. Exhibit one is the HC at Hoke. 80k to coach the team. Of course they are friends from way back. So... RobCo just needs to really fix everything related to athletics and academics. Leadeship has been terrible in the county. Maybe the new super will make great changes. And remember Pinecrest was nothing til they hired Metzger. He changed the culture of the school, program, community. Now the wallets are open too. Same could happen at Lumberton if they were to make the right hire.
Youre such a Lumberton rat. Just say "I have lived next to LHS for over 80 years and have always loved my pirates"......LOL

Dr. Freddie Williamson from Hoke is the leadership this county has now and may be the answer. A great person, leader, and he doesnt like to be embarrassed especially when it comes to sports.

This is how Hoke received their Jumbotron - County commissioners went half on it, all while H&H Homes paved the rest.(Hoke graduate). This is exactly what I am talking about. The one individual from H&H homes has heart. Hoke does not have any major success, yet the individual invested in them. THAT'S HEART!

Ive been in the area since 1997 and started attending football in 2007. What I see is vested individuals or corporate sponsors will not invest unless the football program is winning - this has been a fighting battle for years here. In life, you cannot compete unless you have the best equipment, the best coaches, and the best facilities. Once this happens, we can then compete, attract players, fans, and even sponsors.

Ive been told back in the 90's when Purnell was at the top of their game, people flocked to support and take them out to eat after every game - sadly, this has changed. The county simply wants to have a winning program, but it takes a lot of support before this can happen - which is what's missing!

Last edited:
Reactions: Steelers71
Thomasville spent $37k last year on the field at Cushwa Stadium. To tear out turf and replace with a turf field is about $1 million. And that doesn’t include maintenance of the turf. Life expectancy is about ten years. So, turf is about three times as expensive as maintaining a traditional field. There will be folks who will say that $1 million is high, but that’s been our experience of estimates.
The only way that I can see turf paying off is if you’re in the western part of the state, or if you can rent the field often enough to make up the difference. Unless you have multiple fields, that’s hard to do.
Maintenance is nearly nil. Run the carpet sweeper behind a Gator occasionally. Spread some more pellets when needed. Where artificial surfaces pay for themselves is use. When I was in junior high, games would get moved to the practice field and youth league got cancelled if it rained. With FieldTurf we have varsity & JV football, varsity and JV soccer, MS football and soccer, 3 youth games on Saturdays, travel soccer on Sunday afternoon and the occasional marching band practice. That would destroy a grass field in no time. I have seen our field need patching in between replacements at the 40 yardline kickoff "X" where the kickers drag their foot. The only other issue is late in their life they begin to feel compacted and lack the "spring" when laid.

Maintenance is nearly nil. Run the carpet sweeper behind a Gator occasionally. Spread some more pellets when needed. Where artificial surfaces pay for themselves is use. When I was in junior high, games would get moved to the practice field and youth league got cancelled if it rained. With FieldTurf we have varsity & JV football, varsity and JV soccer, MS football and soccer, 3 youth games on Saturdays, travel soccer on Sunday afternoon and the occasional marching band practice. That would destroy a grass field in no time. I have seen our field need patching in between replacements at the 40 yardline kickoff "X" where the kickers drag their foot. The only other issue is late in their life they begin to feel compacted and lack the "spring" when laid.
I don’t claim to be an expert on field turf, but other posters have talked about the cost of regular maintenance. They seem to think it’s more.
Even if there is no maintenance cost, the cost and life of the turf would make it prohibitive for most schools.
Thomasville is somewhat unique. City owned field that is used primarily for middle school and high school football. School system can’t legally spend capital money on property they don’t own. City can’t justify significant tax money just for the city school system when there are county schools in the city limits. Catch 22 on any stadium improvements, including the half million needed for visitors side bleacher replacement.

I don’t claim to be an expert on field turf, but other posters have talked about the cost of regular maintenance. They seem to think it’s more.
Even if there is no maintenance cost, the cost and life of the turf would make it prohibitive for most schools.
Thomasville is somewhat unique. City owned field that is used primarily for middle school and high school football. School system can’t legally spend capital money on property they don’t own. City can’t justify significant tax money just for the city school system when there are county schools in the city limits. Catch 22 on any stadium improvements, including the half million needed for visitors side bleacher replacement.
Do you prefer turf over a natural field sir?

Do you prefer turf over a natural field sir?
I think it depends on the amount of use and geography.

If the field will be used for practice, for multiple sports, and for other things such as youth leagues, tournament, etc., it is probably worthwhile.
If you are in the western part of the state, where weather is a bigger issue, it’s probably worthwhile.

Never played on artificial turf, but have heard mixed reaction from those who have. As an aside, my first exposure to turf was when I was a manager for UNC. We played at Vanderbilt and they provided soccer shoes for the Carolina team. Don McCauley, who that year broke O.J.’s rushing record and had great balance, carried the ball three times on our first possession. Fell flat on his face all three carries. Turf has come a long way since then😀.

I don’t, however, think it’s more cost effective. Over a given ten year period, seems to me it’s significantly more expensive and out of the reach for many school systems. In my mind, it’s mostly like Jumbotron, just a status symbol in the arms race that high school athletics has become in many states. Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the amount of use and geography.

If the field will be used for practice, for multiple sports, and for other things such as youth leagues, tournament, etc., it is probably worthwhile.
If you are in the western part of the state, where weather is a bigger issue, it’s probably worthwhile.

Never played on artificial turf, but have heard mixed reaction from those who have. As an aside, my first exposure to turf was when I was a manager for UNC. We played at Vanderbilt and they provided soccer shoes for the Carolina team. Don McCauley, who that year broke O.J.’s rushing record and had great balance, carried the ball three times on our first possession. Fell flat on his face all three carries. Turf has come a long way since then😀.

I don’t, however, think it’s more cost effective. Over a given ten year period, seems to me it’s significantly more expensive and out of the reach for many school system. In my mind, it’s mostly like Jumbotron, just a status symbol in the arms race that high school athletics has become in many states. Thanks for asking.
knowing that you served at UNC tells me you have the experience to speak on this topic. So Don fell on his face......must have been a horrible thing to see, yet a learning experience.

I am not sure if I could be a fan of turf. Never been on it, never felt it, nor experienced it. I guess it all depends on the person and if they are brought up on it.

knowing that you served at UNC tells me you have the experience to speak on this topic. So Don fell on his face......must have been a horrible thing to see, yet a learning experience.

I am not sure if I could be a fan of turf. Never been on it, never felt it, nor experienced it. I guess it all depends on the person and if they are brought up on it.
I will only say this, as an experienced official, I think I could add 10 years to my career if I could work on a turf field all the time. Last one I worked on was Watauga HS. It was a playoff game and it was cold about 35 degrees and drizzling rain that night.

Reactions: UNC91
I will only say this, as an experienced official, I think I could add 10 years to my career if I could work on a turf field all the time. Last one I worked on was Watauga HS. It was a playoff game and it was cold about 35 degrees and drizzling rain that night.
You’re probably right, Sportsnut. Eases the pounding on the joints. What’s your perspective on injuries to players between grass and turf? I’ve heard both sides.

The only thing I hate about turf esp at Mooresville is The turf itself can draw in heat n during the summer say it 92 degrees but on the turf its like 99. Also Turf burn sucks just as bad as road rash. Also If it rain heavy for a long period of time, your turf get pocket of air bc the drain system is back up until its catch up.

I love turf. I do see the benefits of having it because you have Soccer, Football, Lacrosse, Youth Sports, Track n Field and all these sports on 1 field. I know some dont like turf bc of Foot/Cutting up field or maybe its too slick or whatever the case but once you over come that, Turf is great to play.

I think many schools new turf like for example - North Iredell, their field dont drain well and also when its wet your feet sink in a bit and to me its bit lopsided on the sidelines. Lake Norman, I think they would benefit from Turf because they have one of the worst fields imo.

But

It is a LOST ART now going to a field, and its a grass field and they have done a beautiful job of painting the field. My fav field was Kannapolis before they switched to turf. Concord does a great job and so does NWC.

Another place that does grass really well is here in Franklin. They baby that patch of Bermuda. We do have JV games and youth games on the field, but no soccer and the school system is militant about who can use the field other than football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT