ADVERTISEMENT

Joseph Watson Named Head Coach at Murphy

Gonna be much much harder for him, let’s be fair. No subdivisions, then 2A. Just saying, I hope the expectations are realistic. Gentry got out at the right time, and I don’t blame him at all.

Reactions: UNC91
Congrats to Coach Watson. This is the man Coach Gentry tabbed to replace him, big endorsement of his ability and hopeful the program can maintain a similar standard of excellence. Coach Watson has some big vacancies to fill as far as assistant coaches go, so the first priority will be bringing in the right people to surround himself with.

Gonna be much much harder for him, let’s be fair. No subdivisions, then 2A. Just saying, I hope the expectations are realistic. Gentry got out at the right time, and I don’t blame him at all.
Murphy will never be 2A and it's highly presumptuous to assume the current Murphy coach would be the head coach of the consolidated school because that's who knows how many years from happening thanks to the DSS mess.

The expectation for this season should be a conference championship and a deep playoff run. That's the kind of team he's inheriting talent wise. Murphy brings back 8 starters on O and 6 on D from a 1A state championship team. That's the type of squad that should be right in the thick of getting to the title game subdivision or no subdivision.

Last edited:
Murphy will never be 2A and it's highly presumptuous to assume the current Murphy coach would be the head coach of the consolidated school because that's who knows how many years from happening thanks to the DSS mess.

The expectation for this season should be a conference championship and a deep playoff run. That's the kind of team he's inheriting talent wise. Murphy brings back 8 starters on O and 6 on D from a 1A state championship team. That's the type of squad that should be right in the thick of getting to the title game subdivision or no subdivision
If the numbers play out right now they will be 2A. No way you can say there is not a chance. And I don’t discount Murphy as a program, but odds are they would not have beaten Tarboro had they gotten to the state title game. I’m not saying that to discredit Murphy in any way, but that’s just reality.

• Haha
Reactions: Cdoc73 and UNC91
If the numbers play out right now they will be 2A. No way you can say there is not a chance. And I don’t discount Murphy as a program, but odds are they would not have beaten Tarboro had they gotten to the state title game. I’m not saying that to discredit Murphy in any way, but that’s just reality.
The new school will be 2A if numbers stay the same, but the new school won’t be Murphy.

• Haha
Reactions: Cdoc73 and mbdfan
And I don’t discount Murphy as a program, but odds are they would not have beaten Tarboro had they gotten to the state title game. I’m not saying that to discredit Murphy in any way, but that’s just reality.
I agree with you, they wouldn't have beat Tarboro, I was in no way implying they would have. I'm not saying they have to win a state title this fall to have had a successful season, I'm saying IF they stay healthy they need to win the SMC and make a deep playoff run for it to be considered a successful season based on what they're bringing back personnel wise.

Last edited:
Give Coach Watson time to build his staff, it's been a short turn around ,but he does have some good people and does have some talent.
I agree, getting his staff set is priority #1

Last edited:
Give Coach Watson time to build his staff, it's been a short turn around ,but he does have some good people and does have some talent.
I think there is a old retiree with some football acumen that will always be a phone call away and that fella is one of the best to ever do it...at any level in NC. Still the HC has to set the tone and be the leader.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT