ADVERTISEMENT

Jefferson Boaz - someone please explain to me why he’s not

Just saw a clip of Mack Brown talking about Boaz. Bottom line: Brown said Boaz would get a shot at QB. He quoted Boaz's stats and had video of Jefferson. He mentioned Boaz's father playing for him. He mentioned other positions. He even mentioned Boaz had very good speed for this size. I thought I heard something about him playing on Sunday.
He definitely said he’d get a look at QB...also said he could be an NFL caliber TE. Bottom line, he will help UNC one way or another - too good not to!

Boaz may very well be a qb at UNC. Mack has been known for using multiple people at the position successfully.
Deems May was a heckuva quarterback at Lexington, went to UNC and transitioned to tight end. Had several good years in the NFL at that position.
Either route can prove lucrative for the young man. Wish him the best.

Reactions: btango
Everyone thought Chris Keldorf was better suited for tight end, too, and he ended up an all-ACC pick for Mack Brown on some really good teams, I believe. Only time will tell and I think he will get a chance, but it’s crowded at that position.

Everyone thought Chris Keldorf was better suited for tight end, too, and he ended up an all-ACC pick for Mack Brown on some really good teams, I believe. Only time will tell and I think he will get a chance, but it’s crowded at that position.

May have been but he was a JUCO AA and ACC Offensive POY his junior year. Injury derailed his senior year.

True. He left Utah State because they wouldn’t give him a shot at QB and were turning him into a TE, went JUCO then Mack gave him a shot at QB.

I spoke to him on the phone about 15 years ago but did not realize it was him until he said he played at UNC. I asked his last name and proceeded to tell him where I was when Antwan Harris Pick Sixed him at UVA.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I spoke to him on the phone about 15 years ago but did not realize it was him until he said he played at UNC. I asked his last name and proceeded to tell him where I was when Antwan Harris Pick Sixed him at UVA.
I can tell you exactly where I was sitting too. We probably weren’t far apart, since the UNC cheering section wasn’t all that large. That”whose house, Heels house” sounded pretty good for most of the game.

Not one of Mack’s finer moments. We had the momentum. Kick a chip shot field goal and go up three scores with less than ten minutes left. Instead we throw an ill-advised pass and the momentum immediately swung. Cost us several million dollars in bowl money. It’s also the reason I’ve always contended that Mack needs to be the closing recruiter and CEO and let his assistants coach on game day. I think that’s where he is right now and is okay with it.

What really stands out with me is that Scott Stadium was about two thirds full for most of the game. But when they turned the corner, it was suddenly packed. People poured in from the parking lot. Musta been one helluva tailgate until then.

oc, I wish I would have been there...or may be not! I was actually in the halls of the Dean Dome. I was working in the entertainment production business and just happened to be back in the Carolinas. The game was on the tv monitor in the hallway.

Ten years after that game I was on the field at Scott Stadium for the UNC game. Octavus Barnes walked up beside me. Said he was working in DC. He had been the intended target but pulled off the pattern or so I remember. Harris was from Raleigh. OB's name would surface again at UNC in a few years.

oc, I wish I would have been there...or may be not! I was actually in the halls of the Dean Dome. I was working in the entertainment production business and just happened to be back in the Carolinas. The game was on the tv monitor in the hallway.

Ten years after that game I was on the field at Scott Stadium for the UNC game. Octavus Barnes walked up beside me. Said he was working in DC. He had been the intended target but pulled off the pattern or so I remember. Harris was from Raleigh. OB's name would surface again at UNC in a few years.
You’re right. Barnes cut the pattern short. Long drive home from Charlottesville. I’ll be “tailgating” tonight with my partner in crime from that game. We’ll be at a local restaurant with a bunch of folks hoping to pull App through. Cooking in the parking lot, then inside for the game. I’ll remind him of that ride home...not a word was said.

Boaz in my opinion is way more talented throwing the football than Shuler was.plus Boaz has the size . A 6 foot 7 QB that's stands in the pocket without any fear is hard to find.
Another thing Boaz lit up what was one of the best defences in the state .His quick release and accurately throwing the ball with different arm angles is what impressed me the most
. I saw Shuler play a couple times when he was in highschool and was not that impressed . One if the games was at Mitchell and I believe he put up less than 20 points that game. Just my opinion .
Agreed Boaz is the best pocket passing high school qb I've ever seen in person I was amazed by his poise in the pocket, with enough hard work, he could start on Saturdays next year somewhere D1

How did Boaz do in the shrine bowl today? I haven’t saw anything about the game anywhere

None of the four QBs looked very good. All Star game with limited practices is not the best measuring stick.

OL actually did decent.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Boaz started.
Bess from Shelby.
Paige from Page. He may have played the best but much due to his running.
Castle from Watauga. He was used at multiple positions.

The Shrine Bowl didn’t tell me much about anyone. Sam Howell didn’t exactly light it up last year in this game, and he turned out pretty good. Boaz is the best QB of the 4 that played that position, but none of them looked great due to timing issues with the WR.

I watched it and to be honest with you East Surry WR were better than the North WR. Most of those kids play other position in High School and they didn't seem to know how to run a route or what to do! They were good athlete's but didn't seem to be that good at WR!

Reactions: Mhsneer
I watched it and to be honest with you East Surry WR were better than the North WR. Most of those kids play other position in High School and they didn't seem to know how to run a route or what to do! They were good athlete's but didn't seem to be that good at WR!

The offense is always at a disadvantge in this type of game. The defense usually dominates the line which was not as much the case in this game. Timing patterns are not the most simple due to familiarity. The long ball or running to a spot has seemed to work the best over the years. Some QBs have had big days (Mark Maye, Chris Leak, Austin Kendall) and other very good ones have struggled. The QBs just seemed to struggle Saturday. Both the HC and OC have offensively progressive programs. One of SC's roster strengths were their DBs. That may have had a little to do with it.

The teams had six practices but a few were inside due to inclement weather where passing options were limited. You are taking players that may come from a passing attack but have very simple offensive schemes and this is a short time period to get them accustomed to a new offense.

As I always say you cannot place too much emphasis on a player's performance in this game.

Reactions: ocdavis31 and UNC91
I've watched the SB game and my opinion is Boaz will have to put on 50+lbs in order to play at UNC. That's the only way he'll play OL for the Turdhills. Has a good arm, good head, and really slow feet.

Reactions: Mhsneer
I've watched the SB game and my opinion is Boaz will have to put on 50+lbs in order to play at UNC. That's the only way he'll play OL for the Turdhills. Has a good arm, good head, and really slow feet.
Wouldn’t be an ES related post without you chiming to discredit something in some way. If Boaz doesn’t make it as a QB then TE is the next logical option (unless there’s tremendous attrition on the OL). He has tremendous hands and his knowledge as a QB would serve him well with route running as a TE.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Gotta overlook him, he's the same genius who assumed or more like hoped East Surry was way overated and would not have the season they had based on a 7 v 7 tournament in preseason. He will use any opportunity he can to take a shot.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I think you can see Boaz on Sundays. He is very talented. But it won't be at QB. Watch the SB game. This game was not a NWF 1a game and it shows. M. Brown will give him a chance at QB with the Turdhills but his feet will get in the way.

Gotta overlook him, he's the same genius who assumed or more like hoped East Surry was way overated and would not have the season they had based on a 7 v 7 tournament in preseason. He will use any opportunity he can to take a shot.
BTW Tony They did look average at the 7+7 But that was before the mystery Gosnell brothers showed up. Carroll County one day and Bang, East the next.
Boaz is good but SG made him look great. I see SG making bigger plays on Saturday's than Boaz.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Please don’t tell me heart chump made preseason predictions based off a 7 on 7. Haha. Things change when the hogs go up front and teams have to play a true defense instead of 7 on 7 defense...cough cough! I mean linebackers sitting 7-10 yards deep and dropping on the snap and the secondary all setting 15 yards off and bailing is realistic isn’t it heart pump?

Please don’t tell me heart chump made preseason predictions based off a 7 on 7. Haha. Things change when the hogs go up front and teams have to play a true defense instead of 7 on 7 defense...cough cough! I mean linebackers sitting 7-10 yards deep and dropping on the snap and the secondary all setting 15 yards off and bailing is realistic isn’t it heart pump?
Listen ItsACrap. Didn't base anything on anything. Just stated on that day of a 7x7 that East wasn't the best team there that day and the best QB that day wasn't playing for East That Daaay! I also said That Day that even though it was just a 7 on 7 ES didn't like the way things played out. Believe me on That Day the ES Recruitment Team standing on the fence That Day was busy BASHING THEIR OWN at a little old 7 on 7 because the little 7 on 7 ment something THAT DAY.
ItsApileofCrap have a great HoliDAY and I'll see you at the next 7 on 7!!!!

Paige from page was the best quarterback for the north carolina squad.
Boaz is a good athlete and looks like a tight end

Sure ,he could improve a lot and play quarterback. His mechanics aren't very good .

Watched eastern 1A and 1AA football for 20 years. Enjoy watching the schools from small communities. But , the next 1A or 1AA football team, that can defend a moderately complex passing game , will be the first with the the possible exception of swain county when they beat williamston about 18 years ago in the state finals

In my opinion , east carolina had the best quarterback and running back recruits in the shrine bowl and they both were on the south carolina squad.

the next 1A or 1AA football team, that can defend a moderately complex passing game , will be the first with the the possible exception of swain county when they beat williamston about 18 years ago in the state finals

Albemarle probably the last in 2002. Won the 1AA final over Wiiliamston with Shrine Bowl and future Catawba QB Brad Roach playing his last game.

In my opinion , east carolina had the best quarterback and running back recruits in the shrine bowl and they both were on the south carolina squad.

Was not highly impressed with either SC QB. The ECU recruit picked it up in the second half but his running, like Paige, is what made the difference. He did not throw the ball very well. The SC receivers, especially Dutch Fork’s Jamin Hyatt who is headed to Tennessee.

Albemarle probably the last in 2002. Won the 1AA final over Wiiliamston with Shrine Bowl and future Catawba QB Brad Roach playing his last game.

I was going to say SWO wining in 2012 over Swain...but then I remembered Ray Smith set Swain’s school record for passing yards that day even though Swain lost.

Reactions: UNC91 and btango
I was going to say SWO wining in 2012 over Swain...but then I remembered Ray Smith set Swain’s school record for passing yards that day even though Swain lost.

Was at this game, Mr. Smith could sling it. SWO went up early and hung on to win that title. QB and MVP of the title game drowned the next day. Sad sad day after such a huge win.

Was at this game, Mr. Smith could sling it. SWO went up early and hung on to win that title. QB and MVP of the title game drowned the next day. Sad sad day after such a huge win.

He drowned the next spring right before graduation.

I wonder if there is a way to see a replay of the ES vs Tarboro game. I missed that one, and would like to see this QB first hand. Sounds like a gem to me.

I wonder if there is a way to see a replay of the ES vs Tarboro game. I missed that one, and would like to see this QB first hand. Sounds like a gem to me.
East Surrys played one hell of a good game. They had confidence in what they were doing and played to win. I listen to East Surry and Reidsville on the Reidsville Broadcast Network. Plus watched the game vs Tarboro . To put over 50 points on both those teams you have one damn good football team.. Boaz looked like Barrow from LSU tonight vs Oklahoma only difference was Tarboro had a better defence. Oklahoma did not deserver to be on the same field as LSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT