ADVERTISEMENT

Jefferson Boaz - someone please explain to me why he’s not

one of the top ranked QB’s in the nation?! I mean he’s 6’8, mobile, makes all the throws, is accurate, has touch, reads defenses - I just haven’t seen many better prospects.
He brings to mind Brock Osweiler that played for the Broncos. Same height, similar mobility, both from smaller rural areas and probably underappreciated because of it.

Last edited:
I would guess it is partly because he split reps until this year, plus maybe some bias against 1A competition. But he was incredible. The talk about “watch out Sam Howell “ is a bit much—but I think Boaz is going to have some hard decisions to make about his future. Howell is a star and there is a 4 star QB recruit from Arkansas coming in the same class as Boaz. As much as I want to see him as a Tar Heel, I wonder if it isn’t in his best interest to open things back up.

Last edited:
I would guess it is partly because he split reps until this year, plus maybe some bias against 1A competition. But he was incredible. The talk about “watch out Sam Howell “ is a bit much—but I think Boaz is going to have some hard decisions to make about his future.

Yeah I'm thinking someone is going to come knocking and say hey we want you to be our QB.

UNC could have a Jalen Hurts/Tua situation on their hands.

Last edited:
In the last 2 years, I have stood about 10 yards away from him about 6 times for the entire game. He is as good as I have seen in a number of years. I will also say he is one of the most respectful players I have ever been around.

I am the only NWC supporter that has stood behind East Surry in the playoffs and that is a shame. Not only should have the NWC stood behind there teams but the west should do it also. I for one will remember all the negative posts on East Surry before tonight ! All; was from jealousy because they beat the west.

one of the top ranked QB’s in the nation?! I mean he’s 6’8, mobile, makes all the throws, is accurate, has touch, reads defenses - I just haven’t seen many better prospects.

You are a Tennessee fan. You taking Boaz or Harrison Bailey who just 22-31 276 yards in the 7a championship game in Georgia against Lowndes who was ranked national top 10. Boaz is really good but there are QBs all across the Country that are good you never hear much about.

You are a Tennessee fan. You taking Boaz or Harrison Bailey who just 22-31 276 yards in the 7a championship game in Georgia against Lowndes who was ranked national top 10. Boaz is really good but there are QBs all across the Country that are good you never hear much about.
You only hear about the best. Tell us any that are better,

He was hidden and not given any type of a true chance at being a QB his first 2 years.

Jefferson is a really good QB and deserves a chance at QB but he also had 3 or 4 real good receivers that caught pretty much everything he throwed!

You only hear about the best. Tell us any that are better,

Have you heard of Braden Bracther. Doesn’t have a recruiting profile but leads the country in passing yards. Plays for Pulaski Academy who is in there 6th straight championship game.

Have you heard of Braden Bracther. Doesn’t have a recruiting profile but leads the country in passing yards. Plays for Pulaski Academy who is in there 6th straight championship game.
Never heard of him. but are you saying he has played for Pulaski Academy 6 years. Also are they 6A or I think Virginia goes to 6A as I wish North Carolina did.

Never heard of him. but are you saying he has played for Pulaski Academy 6 years. Also are they 6A or I think Virginia goes to 6A as I wish North Carolina did.

Wrong 5a. Yelp been in school for 6 years. If you go to max preps and look at National QB stats a lot of the QBs don’t even have a recruiting profile.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Jefferson Boaz # 22 has him beat in a few places, Comp. percentage for 1 and if Boaz had been QB for 3 years he could be at the top.
https://www.maxpreps.com/leaders/football/offense,passing/stat-leaders.htm

I’m not saying he isn’t good but there are a lot of good QBs that never get noticed. Do know how many years Greg McElroy started in high school. Do you know Florida Kyle Trask story. So Boaz might have a great college career and it want matter where he ranks as a QB in high school.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
He is the best high school QB I have seen play. I'm 61 and I have watched a lot of ball.
The young man is good but how quickly we forget the likes of Chris Leak who had big time coaching in Tommy Knotts and much harder competition. Boaz is incredible raw with not so great mechanics. Leak was polished.

Reactions: mbdfan
He is the best high school QB I have seen play. I'm 61 and I have watched a lot of ball.

brad johnson
Chris leak
Heath shuler.

all three in no real particular order. He’s not them. People forget Sam Howell looked as good as boaz in 3a last year. Boaz is really good but not the best ever. Boaz had d1 talent all around him at skill positions

Jefferson is a great kid and I wish him nothing but the best, but everyone needs to take a deep breath and understand he’s playing 1A Football. He’s got 3 D1 WR’s and a very good offense line, How many 1A teams can defend that?? ZERO which we saw all year long. However, Howell’s job is SAFE, Jefferson and any other QB at UNC can’t beat him out. Y’all do understand Howell has the record for Passing TD’s by a Freshman in a Single season in FBS History.

Reactions: mbdfan
Jonathon Crompton, Heath Shuler, Brad Johnson, Chris Leak (The best I've ever seen in N.C. personally), Joe Cox, Tyler Brosious, Marquisse Williams, Sam Howell, Will Grier (Panthers back-up), Zack Jaynes, Mark Maye, Daniel Jones (Current QB for NY Giants), if you really wanna go back Sonny Jurgenson.

Last edited:
A team in Durham with a coach known for QB's could use him. You can't teach that pro style QB build Boaz has. And UNC is recruiting him as a TE not a backup to Howell. Jefferson's dad was a punter for Mack Brown at UNC so I guess his allegiance is there.

I believe Daniel Jones was unranked coming out of HS.

Jefferson is a great kid and I wish him nothing but the best, but everyone needs to take a deep breath and understand he’s playing 1A Football. He’s got 3 D1 WR’s and a very good offense line, How many 1A teams can defend that?? ZERO which we saw all year long. However, Howell’s job is SAFE, Jefferson and any other QB at UNC can’t beat him out. Y’all do understand Howell has the record for Passing TD’s by a Freshman in a Single season in FBS History.

UNC might give him a chance at QB. Boaz would be a RS Sophomore if Howell were to go early to the NFL draft. That gives them 2 years to figure out if Boaz has what it takes to be the next QB.

I would guess it is partly because he split reps until this year, plus maybe some bias against 1A competition. But he was incredible. The talk about “watch out Sam Howell “ is a bit much—but I think Boaz is going to have some hard decisions to make about his future. Howell is a star and there is a 4 star QB recruit from Arkansas coming in the same class as Boaz. As much as I want to see him as a Tar Heel, I wonder if it isn’t in his best interest to open things back up.

I’ve watched him play and I’m a Heels fan but he is not ready to be an ACC QB yet. It’s easy to look really good when you’re just a pure athlete, are a foot taller than nearly everyone on the field, playing 1A ball and have 2 ACC caliber receivers. His footwork is still in desperate need of coaching and his throwing mechanics need tuning. He’s release reminds of Tebow, it’s slow with a very long wind up much like a baseball pitcher. I understand, it’s hard not to have such when you’re 6’8 but it doesn’t translate to being a collegiate level QB.

Chazz Surratt had the same release and although was able to pass for 10,000+ yards and 130+ TD’s in high school, he struggled to play QB.

Sometimes you just have to recruit the best athletes on the field and put them where they’ll be successful. Chazz is now a 1st team All-ACC linebacker and a sure draft pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: ESguro and btango
FSU is probably going to get better, WFU isn’t going away quietly, VT finally found a QB and Bronco seems to have UVA headed the right way. The ACC isn’t as weak as the talking heads want you to believe.

You're right. The ACC is about to be a really really tough. Going to be a fun stretch over the next 5 seasons.

I cover recruiting for UNC. Boaz was recruited as an athlete but will get a shot at QB first. On Dec 18th, please listen to Mack Brown’s statements about Boaz. This will be the first time he can publicly talk about him.

Playing time at Carolina at QB is going to be tough with a pretty good freshman starter already there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT