ADVERTISEMENT

James Kenan vs Tarboro

Will be a good game..
Based on momentum and home field advantage, I wouldn't be surprised if tarboro takes this one. Haven't seen them play, but sounds like they're clicking on all cylinders right now. I think this game will go down to the final minutes with home field advantage accounting for something. Vikes 35-28

Reactions: thsvikes
Tarboro can't afford to be one dimensional, they need to have a balanced attack if they want to win. Everyone knows they run 80% of the time.

I think the lack of being able to throw the ball and being so one dimensional is what Avent will exploit, and is why James Kenan will win. It's one thing when you have Todd Gurley ect all those years. You can get away with it. But they don't have anything close to that now. Not saying their backs aren't good - but Gurley is Gurely.

Gurley only played in a couple of the five straight championship games. Like any other system it looks much better with talent. There is talent there this year although they are really young. You never know how freshmen and soph. will respond until they have been there. Playing on Thanksgiving for 8 straight years is a testament to good coaching and hard work.

I love when people make the Gurrley comment. He was on 2 of the 5 straight title teams. The 12 team was undefeated and didn't have a close game until the title game. Many people argue that team was better than the 11 team that won it todds senior year. I think our coaching staff knows what they're doing, we re only one of three teams in NC history to make it to 5 straight title games. Amazing don't make it to the title game for a few years and all of a sudden our coaching staff needs to go buy a passing game or going to be exploited.

Im not saying the coaches arent great. But the talent simply isnt as good imo and hasnt been for several years. And Avent is a great coach as well and james kenan has great athletes like tarboro. So to me the lack of any passing by tarboro with be a key factor. Not saying the Vikings cant win of course we know they can.

Tarboro has been running the exact same offense for the last 30+ years, and in my life time i've only seen a handful of defenses have success against it (Mostly Southwest Edgecombe). Now, i'm not saying James Kenan can't stop it because they are more than capable, but if Tarboros biggest concern of this game is if their offense is going to work or not, then I will feel pretty confident Friday night. Should be a great high school atmosphere, and i want to wish safe travels to all of the James Kenan fans!

Wrh had plenty of success against that offense in 2013. They didn't have an answer for our defense at all!

Qt, the poster said a handful of teams not no teams have had success against our offense. You're right, your 13 team did seem to do very well against our offense. That being said this is a different year and a different team, That would be like me referring to the only other time we played you guys in the playoffs and we beat you all 34 to 0 and saying you guys had absolutely no answer for offense and your offense couldn't do a thing on our defense. Now I'm not silly enough to go base this years games based on the past. Like I said new year new teams and they're going to be settled the next few weeks. Hope everyone has safe travels.

Reactions: VikingFanatic15
will be a heck of a game and i plan on going... tarboro is strong and well coached as james kenan...if avent jr. gets into a passing groove . both teams are very good... ill go- jk 32--tarboro-21.

I hope JK takes it easy on our sophmore loaded team this year. Better get us this year because we are young. I just hope its a good close game and may the best team win. Safe travels to all the JK players, coaches and fans.

JK has a bad habit of not showing up until the second half, and if that happens against Tarboro GAME OVER !!!! And there is a good chance of that happening.

Just like tarboro has a bad habit of not being able to run the ball against duplin county school. If that happens against JK.GAME OVER!!! And there is a good chance of that happening

I love when people make the Gurrley comment. He was on 2 of the 5 straight title teams. The 12 team was undefeated and didn't have a close game until the title game. Many people argue that team was better than the 11 team that won it todds senior year. I think our coaching staff knows what they're doing, we re only one of three teams in NC history to make it to 5 straight title games. Amazing don't make it to the title game for a few years and all of a sudden our coaching staff needs to go buy a passing game or going to be exploited.
I think you might want to check your records Sir. Gurley played against East Bladen in 2009 and 2010 Eastern finals as a sophmore and junior. He played against South Columbus in 2011 as a Senior in the easern finals and Tarboro bareley won this one due to a bad snap by SC late in the 4th quater. I did not keep up with the 2012 team.

Todd Gurley didn't take a varsity snap on offense until his Junior year (2010). He played JV his Freshman and Sophomore years, and was called up for the playoffs in 2009 where he played on kick off team. You could argue that Tarboro's most dominant team was in 2012, which was the year after Todd graduated. They didn't have a close game until the State Championship game when they unfortunately got bit by the turnover bug.

I think Tarboro, WRH, and JK fans should all be thankful that the three programs have had such great teams over the past decade. Friday nights are a lot more enjoyable when you have a good team to watch.

Congrats Jk. Sounds like it was a great game. The Dogs wanted another shot and now they're going to get it. May the best team win.

Led for most of the game but the jk defense made huge plays down the stretch. Our d held the tiger offense in check most of the evening. Great game Tigers

I though that both defenses were definitely the story JK's defense was definitely stronger when it needed to be and forced Tarboro into short fields that allowed the JK offense just enough of an opportunity to strike. James Kenan even had guys on the receivers on the two big passes just great catches by Tarboro on both of those. Tarboro wasn't able to penetrate that defensive line and that got them into having to do things they aren't comfortable doing and JK took advantage.

Great game to both teams I know Tarboro will make a ton of noise next season and should be the favorites to win it all next season.

Apparently the Tiger defense played very well. Held the Vikes scoreless in the 2nd half. JK scored 21 unanswered points. Avent loves to control the clock and is a master doing it. He is not interested running a score up to some large number. Gets the lead then plays ball control. If the opponent's offense is not on the field they can not score. It's worked well for over 10 years!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT