ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the farthest Alleghany has ever made it?

KW23

Feb 9, 2011
Anyone know? As far as their game vs. Thomas Jefferson, I see Alleghany winning a close game if they continue to give Jake Hampton the ball on a consistent basis mixed in with a few runs to number 23. I know everyone will call me an armchair quarterback for this advice but coach sessoms please don't get cute and run the counter play to the wingback because it doesn't work. No offense to that player but he isn't built like a mountain football player, and please don't put in the other fumble prone running back in the game who also missed an opportunity to fall on a fumble on defense and decides to just run around the ball while the west Columbus player crawled to the ball and recovered it instead on Friday. Also, I've said this before but the fact that their kicker is so inconsistent on extra points scares me because I could see us losing the game on missed extra points or having to go for 2 all the time. The kicker has got a strong leg he just always kicks extra points to the left either barely making it or missing it to the left.

Goodluck to the Trojans! If they continue their ground and pound approach and their tuff defense like they did against West Columbus I see them winning a close game. In my opinion TJA comes from a very weak conference(not that MVAC is a powerhouse or anything because its definitely not) and they aren't used to having to tackle big tough running backs. I say "feed the beast" as long as possible and see how far he can take us. If the offensive line opens up huge holes for jake this week like they did on Friday and the defense plays fundamentally sound well disciplined football then this game could get ugly.

GO ALLEGHANY!

I'm sure Coach Sessoms will have his team ready to play. You guys have good one there. Good luck Alleghany!!

You're not an armchair QB, even though an argument from me is going to sound biased for the simple fact that he's my younger brother. But, it's as simple as this. No one other than Starmount has stopped Jake all year when he has gotten the ball consistently, that's just a fact, not gloating or boasting. If Alleghany can minimize mistakes on defense, mainly blown coverages and the outside run (like they did against WC,) I see them beating TJA by 2 scores, at least. I think Alleghany is clicking right now and could seriously end up in the Smoky Mountains in 2 weeks, giving one of those powerhouses a game. I have the utmost respect for Robbinsville and Murphy, but I think we could give them a game if we play like we did last week. I think we would have to catch a couple of breaks to win, but it's a definite possibility of we play mistake free football.

Deep down I think we shouldn't have a problem with TJA. Ive seen numerous highlights of them and they just don't seem to have the size to match up with us and I think once we hit them in the mouth a fewtimes they will fold. But TJA does have some speed and speed kills, and If I'm not mistaken they have quite a few seniors on their team which have been together awhile which always help not to mention the 2 and half hour bus ride for Alleghany. It will definitely be a better game than West Columbus game, they straight up looked like they quite after halftime. #9 and #7 was the only players that looked like they were trying for them.

OEFVet89 I thought it was great that your other brother Luke was able to make it to the game Friday night. Yall don't know me from Adam but I'm going to tell you right now he was a heck of an Athlete. The game he single handedly won at Elkin a few years back was best performance I've seen by 1 player in a highschool game ever. He could do it all.

I know its hard to get recruited at real small schools, but is anyone looking at your brother Jake? Or does he even care to go that route and play college ball?

I'm sure he's had a couple of looks, a few in baseball too (probably his best sport.). But, I don't think he's interested at this point in pursuing a 4 year route. He's talked about the Marine Corps in the past, but recently he's said he wants to do underwater welding. He'll do great at whatever he decides, I just don't think collegiate athletics is on the list at this point in time.

Originally posted by KW23:
Anyone know? As far as their game vs. Thomas Jefferson, I see Alleghany winning a close game if they continue to give Jake Hampton the ball on a consistent basis mixed in with a few runs to number 23. I know everyone will call me an armchair quarterback for this advice but coach sessoms please don't get cute and run the counter play to the wingback because it doesn't work. No offense to that player but he isn't built like a mountain football player, and please don't put in the other fumble prone running back in the game who also missed an opportunity to fall on a fumble on defense and decides to just run around the ball while the west Columbus player crawled to the ball and recovered it instead on Friday. Also, I've said this before but the fact that their kicker is so inconsistent on extra points scares me because I could see us losing the game on missed extra points or having to go for 2 all the time. The kicker has got a strong leg he just always kicks extra points to the left either barely making it or missing it to the left.

Goodluck to the Trojans! If they continue their ground and pound approach and their tuff defense like they did against West Columbus I see them winning a close game. In my opinion TJA comes from a very weak conference(not that MVAC is a powerhouse or anything because its definitely not) and they aren't used to having to tackle big tough running backs. I say "feed the beast" as long as possible and see how far he can take us. If the offensive line opens up huge holes for jake this week like they did on Friday and the defense plays fundamentally sound well disciplined football then this game could get ugly.

GO ALLEGHANY!
KW23, I believe this is the first time that either Alleghany or Thomas Jefferson have made it to the 3rd round of the 1A playoffs....Alleghany as you probably already know was a 2A team between 72-84 before being reclassified as a 1A school beginning in 1985...The Trojans are one of the few teams from the Northwest area that has played every member of the Smoky Mountain Conference at one point and time with the best Alleghany 1A team(10-1), losing to Rosman and record-setting RB Brett Chappell back in 1993 in the Tigers only trip to date to Sparta...A game I attended back in 93'....It's the only time the Trojans and Tigers have faced off....In addition, the Trojans have only beaten 1 SMC school in the playoffs since moving to 1A, and that was Cherokee(25-20) back in 1996 before losing to eventual unbeaten state champ Murphy(54-8) in the 2nd round....I know this is probably not the info you wanted to hear, but it does reveal just what a great season your Trojans are having this year..

Thomas Jefferson is very well coached, and does have a good number of seniors who were there for some serious beatdowns when they were freshman....The Gryphon QB is a dandy who is a good runner, and they do have some speed and experience at the WR positions, and their defense is getting better and better....I was impressed that they shut out SPC foe Pine Lake Prep(35-0) in their 2nd meeting this season, last week....

Should be a great ballgame this friday night down in Avondale between the Gryphons and your Trojans with history on the line for both teams as the Winner will advance to the Western 1A Final for the first time....

Watched TJ play a couple times this and the Coaches coach hard and the kids play harder.

I'm happy for the Trojans and what Coach Sessoms has done during his tenure there.

I wish them well Friday night.

There also may be better teams in the near future if things work out. There is some good talent in the 7-9 grades.

It falls off after that however.

KW23 is this really you or did Gradepro write this post lol.JK best of luck to your team.See it's easy to pull for other teams for me,maybe someday you can pull for Albemarle lol

Alleghany and Murphy also met in the 1974 2-A playoffs in the 2nd round in Sparta. Murphy won but heard it was a good game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT