ADVERTISEMENT

Is the NC General assembly destroying

sammyk

Oct 26, 2001
your favorite public school and sports programs with the pushing of charter schools. I talked to a coach from Crest a few weeks ago and he expressed concern about the new charter school that is opening in Cleveland county. He said that it very well take students and athletes from schools in Cleveland county. Randolph county already is feeling the waves created by Uwharrie Charter. There are also several other examples that can be used to fill in what ever blank that you like. So are charter schools worth all of the problems that they cause. I just wonder what many will think when say Scottland county has a charter school that takes away from the program's there or Richmond or Shelby ect ect. And now Charlotte is moving in that direction with areas breaking away from CMS and creating charter schools. Could schools like Butler be in trouble

Last edited:
I’ll post when I’m off work, but everyone couldve nipped this in the butt in 2012. Now it’s a huge problem especially for 1A schools and it’s only getting worse

Reactions: BK13T-$
This is the wave of the future.... can't stop it. Some Gaston County Schools are already getting impacted in football (like East Gaston) by Mountain Island Charter. I saw a few weeks back that Piedmont Charter (already in Gastonia, but does not currently play football) is going to expand and build to new campus on Robinwood Rd (1,200 HS students). You can bet they will add football.

I think the public was sold a bad set of goods on charter schools. Back in 2010-2011 when the General Assembly made teachers out to be greedy and public schools bad they pushed this on to the public and they bought it. Now the Charter schools are taking away resources and not producing any better product while fleecing the taxpayer.

While you are registering your outrage. it would be good to remember that many of you actually voted for this Assembly and all the things that go with it....That is if you bothered to vote at all. Given what you know now, was that a wise decision? IF you arent happy, you can vote for a new NC General Assembly the first Tuesday in November.

While you are registering your outrage. it would be good to remember that many of you actually voted for this Assembly and all the things that go with it....That is if you bothered to vote at all. Given what you know now, was that a wise decision? IF you arent happy, you can vote for a new NC General Assembly the first Tuesday in November.
I agree with this...fight with your vote, not your words on a message board. Voting makes all of the difference.

Wow NC is setting it self up to take care of all the 800 or less Schools and facilities. Way to many schools in the State

Wow NC is setting it self up to take care of all the 800 or less Schools and facilities. Way to many schools in the State

I do think consolidation should start happening for some of these counties. Does Rutherford County really need 3 High Schools along with a Charter in Thomas Jefferson for example?

Reactions: shutdownD24
I do think consolidation should start happening for some of these counties. Does Rutherford County really need 3 High Schools along with a Charter in Thomas Jefferson for example?
Montgomery County already consolidated, I think we'll see more of it from rural counties with multiple schools. I agree does Rutherford County really need basically four high schools?
Think we'll see it out east too, but many of those rural counties are single HS counties

Montgomery County already consolidated, I think we'll see more of it from rural counties with multiple schools. I agree does Rutherford County really need basically four high schools?
Think we'll see it out east too, but many of those rural counties are single HS counties

Bet there would be some appeal to Rutherford County students to attend a newer school with more class offerings due to larger size as well. Can probably pick out schools in Gaston, Lincoln, Cleveland and Catawba to look into consolidating.

Bet there would be some appeal to Rutherford County students to attend a newer school with more class offerings due to larger size as well. Can probably pick out schools in Gaston, Lincoln, Cleveland and Catawba to look into consolidating.
Cleveland county is an ideal candidate for consolidation, with the progress with Pinnacle, declining enrollment, and with all four high schools being 50+ years in age. See no way a county that is not growing and with less than 100k residents needs or will support the funding of 4 new high schools when replacement time comes.

Reactions: shutdownD24
Have to admit, Rutherford County having one or two high schools would most likely make it more competitive

Two consolidations this coming years. The next year Montgomery County goes to one school.

Cleveland county is an ideal candidate for consolidation, with the progress with Pinnacle, declining enrollment, and with all four high schools being 50+ years in age. See no way a county that is not growing and with less than 100k residents needs or will support the funding of 4 new high schools when replacement time comes.

I am a fan of a two high school Cleveland County. You already have pinnacle and Cleveland early college. Would love to see two state of the art high schools built for the rest of the county.

I don’t ever think it will happen in Cleveland County I just don’t see anyone pushing for a school with 2000+ kids. It makes more sense in those counties that are combining and are are around 1200-1300 all together

My ideal version of Cleveland County is one with Pinnacle, a consolidated version of Crest, Burns and Shelby with excess students sent out to Kings Mountain.

Wonder where the outrage was when we had record deficits and a freeze on all state employees pay?
It was combined with the outrage of the near DEPRESSION we found ourselves in back in 2009 that took a number of years to pull out of. Now it seems we are headed right back in that same direction with Wall Street gambling with our money again like drunken sailors. Watch for it, its coming.

I dont think NCHSAA sees any issues with Charter Schools, their issue is their bottom line. In 2012, there was a vote to oust three schools from the NCHSAA, ignored were the growing number of charters that are impacting 1A/2A programs far greater than 3 schools, each in metropolitan areas are.
I get it that they put in the 25 mile rule, etc etc. BUT what do you do about a charter school like Lincoln Charter with two campuses? However, charter schools are becoming more and more popular across the nation. A focus needs to be put back on public education. I didn't go to a public school, but a huge majority of people do and it's important to invest and make sure they're the best they can be.

Reactions: Crestuff
I think Burke County can consolidate too, don't they also have 4 high schools?
Yeah, Patton and Draughn were built last decade to reduce the sizes of Freedom and East Burke, both 4A schools then. Wrong idea.

Last edited:
I dont think NCHSAA sees any issues with Charter Schools, their issue is their bottom line.

It has been made clear to the NCHSAA by the Legislature that charter schools are public schools that shall be treated the same as any other public school. The next big item we will see is home schooled students are the same as their school age / public school attending peers and shall be treated the same as any other public school student. Get ready...

It has been made clear to the NCHSAA by the Legislature that charter schools are public schools that shall be treated the same as any other public school. The next big item we will see is home schooled students are the same as their school age / public school attending peers and shall be treated the same as any other public school student. Get ready...
Yep

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT