ADVERTISEMENT

1A Is Henderson Collegiate a public school?

I know am switching gears here a little bit but Nick Saban made a good point about kids switching high schools. He said if a high school player is transferring to 2/3 high schools and he stated "I don't want them....they don't want to overcome adversity". I have seen many instances over the years where parents/student athletes always think the grass is greener on the other side instead of just staying where they are at and being patient. Just my opinion and I know everyone has one.

So you think Uwharrie charter had 11 state ranked wrestlers this year by chance? Or 10 last year or 11 two years ago? Out of 14 weight classes. Thats more than any 1a school in the state. They are a newly formed school. Statistically its almost impossible for a new school to that. I understand your a charter guy. Admit your advantage like others have. I understand u want to keep your advantage but dont worry nothing will be done to your ALL STAR TEAMS.
I'm not anything...Just trying to get you to see another viewpoint other than all charters cheat and have advantages, etc. Most charters do terribly in sports. Only a few do anything. I'm sure most do not have a problem playing WSP in baseball, football, tennis, etc. Why all of a sudden do you have a problem when they have success in basketball? Like traditional schools, kids/parents want to attend a school that gives them an advantage with colleges. For example, Mallard Creek is a football school and a girls basketball school. You don't think kids/parents attend MC for football in hopes it helps with college? But their basketball, baseball, other sports are not that good. Same anywhere you go, man. North Meck is a basketball school...Hopewell loses kids every year because they want to play at North...I could keep going but for some reason its a charter problem? Mitchell is a football school and look at their basketball. So to think parents don't send their "basketball" kid to play for a WS Prep over a North Forsyth or Reagan or Walkertown is stupid. With their tradition of basketball and sending kids to college, I would send my son there.

Reactions: Veejay4
You can only reclass in NCISAA. They do have a couple who started out at other schools (Franklinton, most notably).

I think you're right that talent is talent--Montrezl Harrell and Bam Adebayo are both killing it in the NBA and came from traditional 1A high schools in NC. But I think a 4A school is statistically more likely to have more size, depth, etc. across the board. They'll also have more kids who specialize, since at a traditional 1A there is a pressure for your better athletes to play something every season. So larger schools' kids--even if not more naturally gifted--will sometimes be more polished.

You said exactly what I was trying to communicate. You probably said it better. You can't quantify talent by class. If schools change classes because of enrollment those athletes talent levels don't vacillate because of the class change too.

I'm not anything...Just trying to get you to see another viewpoint other than all charters cheat and have advantages, etc. Most charters do terribly in sports. Only a few do anything. I'm sure most do not have a problem playing WSP in baseball, football, tennis, etc. Why all of a sudden do you have a problem when they have success in basketball? Like traditional schools, kids/parents want to attend a school that gives them an advantage with colleges. For example, Mallard Creek is a football school and a girls basketball school. You don't think kids/parents attend MC for football in hopes it helps with college? But their basketball, baseball, other sports are not that good. Same anywhere you go, man. North Meck is a basketball school...Hopewell loses kids every year because they want to play at North...I could keep going but for some reason its a charter problem? Mitchell is a football school and look at their basketball. So to think parents don't send their "basketball" kid to play for a WS Prep over a North Forsyth or Reagan or Walkertown is stupid. With their tradition of basketball and sending kids to college, I would send my son there.

The numbers show exactly whats going on. Think what you want. I respect the Charter fans that admit they have an advantage.

I know am switching gears here a little bit but Nick Saban made a good point about kids switching high schools. He said if a high school player is transferring to 2/3 high schools and he stated "I don't want them....they don't want to overcome adversity". I have seen many instances over the years where parents/student athletes always think the grass is greener on the other side instead of just staying where they are at and being patient. Just my opinion and I know everyone has one.
Yet he processes kids every year and forces them to transfer out.

Reactions: Veejay4
As one who played for a traditional 1A in high school, including a line of family members dating back to the 80s, the system has been shredded with allowing the likes of the charters, preps, etc... I have nothing against these schools, but I miss the true traditional 1A traditional playoff contests and competition. I do agree with how the numbers play out as far as nothing having these schools included. Never played the likes of Thomasville, Albermarle, etc.., but many have had to deal with the matters of Wallace Rose Hill, Bath, Belhaven, Robbinsville in the West etc...(football and basketball)

My suggestions would be to keep 1A-4A, but create a sub-playoff bracket that would specifically be designed for charters, preps, etc...

You are a jealous JOKE!!!

This is unusual for me but, I am going to defend BK. I will admit that sometimes he goes over the top(mind-numbing, berserk, beats a dead horse etc...). In this case, he is right, through no fault of the schools the NCHSAA has provided them with an advantage. Do you really think that the domination we are seeing in all sports, with the exception of football, is just a coincidence? No. You even identified and admitted the problem. You spoke of parents wanting to send their children where they could have the most success. You seem to be the jealous one as you must have a child at a charter school and you feel others are critizing your decisions or not giving his school full credit.

The NCHSAA has heard these concerns for years, but like some other subjects "wash their hands" of the matter. For example they leave residence issues and transfers to the LEA.

The NCHSAA has heard these concerns for years, but like some other subjects "wash their hands" of the matter. For example they leave residence issues and transfers to the LEA.

It is just so much easier for them to turn and look the other way rather than deal with the situation at hand. I'm sure many other people feel the same way.

Yeah I'm jealous. Lol.

Ive watched my school play in 6 state titles the last 6 years and had the 2nd best team in softball last year but lost the the state champs by 1 in western finals. Yeah, im jealous.

#homegrownnotrecruited!!!

This is unusual for me but, I am going to defend BK. I will admit that sometimes he goes over the top(mind-numbing, berserk, beats a dead horse etc...). In this case, he is right, through no fault of the schools the NCHSAA has provided them with an advantage. Do you really think that the domination we are seeing in all sports, with the exception of football, is just a coincidence? No. You even identified and admitted the problem. You spoke of parents wanting to send their children where they could have the most success. You seem to be the jealous one as you must have a child at a charter school and you feel others are critizing your decisions or not giving his school full credit.
The problem is parents send their kids to traditional schools just as much as they do charters I promise. If you are lucky enough to get in the lottery of a charter then you can attend. It is way easier for a kid to get into traditional schools than charters...I just get sick of the recruiting BS that goes on here when the rules of recruiting, etc. were established before charters even came around.

Yeah I'm jealous. Lol.

Ive watched my school play in 6 state titles the last 6 years and had the 2nd best team in softball last year but lost the the state champs by 1 in western finals. Yeah, im jealous.

#homegrownnotrecruited!!!
At least you admit it!

The problem is parents send their kids to traditional schools just as much as they do charters I promise. If you are lucky enough to get in the lottery of a charter then you can attend. It is way easier for a kid to get into traditional schools than charters...I just get sick of the recruiting BS that goes on here when the rules of recruiting, etc. were established before charters even came around.
What does that matter? Charters, private,parochial schools have an advantage over public schools especially at the 1A level. Be a man and admit it. My kids went to one and if coaches want to recruit they can.

Reactions: BK13T-$
It sure is amazing at all the great athletes that win this so called “lottery”... blow that smoke up someone else’s hiney!
Do your research on Charters and the lottery. Its governed by LAW. The schools have nothing to do with it...WSP is not a charter...it is a part of Winston Salem Schools under traditional schools.. They are different as all of Wake is OPEN ENROLLMENT...Charters ARE NOT!!

What does that matter? Charters, private,parochial schools have an advantage over public schools especially at the 1A level. Be a man and admit it. My kids went to one and if coaches want to recruit they can.
If the coach wants to recruit or if they do then they should be fired and school investigated...Be a man and say what school that was

Can someone tell me what the difference is between 1A and 4A talent? I don't understand how classification determines talent level. Talent is talent and has no respect of classification. IJS. I've seen some 1A players (boys and girls) that would hand some kids their butts on a platter in 4A.
There is no difference in 1A and 4A talent, but it's a difference when a traditional public school have to compete with players within their district, but a charter can pull kids from within a 30 miles radius which makes it unfair to a traditional public school because within that 30 mile radius there can be all sizes of classifications for those students to attend, but we all know the charter schools compete in the lowest classification. We all know talent is talent, but you know what we saying here. Just admit you support charter schools.

Do your research on Charters and the lottery. Its governed by LAW. The schools have nothing to do with it...WSP is not a charter...it is a part of Winston Salem Schools under traditional schools.. They are different as all of Wake is OPEN ENROLLMENT...Charters ARE NOT!!

What do schools in Raleigh and Wake County have to do with this discussion?

If the coach wants to recruit or if they do then they should be fired and school investigated...Be a man and say what school that was
How many public schools are given the opportunity to pull students within a 30 mile radius of their school. If nothing else why can't the 1A schools have the same rule as the charter schools is all I'm saying then maybe you will see a huge drop off with the charter schools winning all these state championships (basketball, volleyball, tennis, golf, cross country, etc). Certain kids do specialize and plus a lot the charter schools of non football playing schools.

Reactions: AHVikingNation
I know what WSP is! Is that 30 miles by GPS or actual road miles? Because I guarantee you, besides Rosman being clearly out of range, you could put together some great teams if we started a charter in the middle of the other 5 schools! Lol

I know what WSP is! Is that 30 miles by GPS or actual road miles? Because I guarantee you, besides Rosman being clearly out of range, you could put together some great teams if we started a charter in the middle of the other 5 schools! Lol

25 mile radius ‘as measured by an NCHSAA designated computer program.’

https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/Eligibility.pdf

Maybe when Andrews gets shut down by the County it’ll reopen as a charter. Pretty central to pull kids from about 5 NC counties within 25 miles.

Last edited:
Yea right! Try it and see. Andrews, which was the best team of dunkers god ever created, was the team to beat maybe even state champions at the beginning of year. They lost to a very, very, very below, below average Mitchel team that was beaten by a 5th place CSD team. Throw them together and see what happens. Better than complaining all day!

Uwharrie charter is enough proof.
BK, truest statement you have ever made. That random lottery sure selected an unusual number of state ranked wrestlers and high-level baseball players. MIC somehow or another randomly selects D1 football players and track athletes. Lincoln Charter randomly selects basketball players and distance runners. Dadof23, how can you, with a straight face, say that these are coincidences? Open enrollment systems like Forsyth County is a totally separate issue. They truly can recruit from a large metro area within the county's borders and remain 1A. An equally large advantage.

Yea right! Try it and see. Andrews, which was the best team of dunkers god ever created, was the team to beat maybe even state champions at the beginning of year. They lost to a very, very, very below, below average Mitchel team that was beaten by a 5th place CSD team. Throw them together and see what happens. Better than complaining all day!
You’re completely missing the point. If we put together all star teams from, these 5 schools you would have zero chance, doesn’t matter the sport...well except possibly golf :)

Reactions: BK13T-$ and mbdfan
If a group of people put a charter school in Murphy the 25 mile radius covers Murphy, Andrews, Hayesville, Robbinsville, Blue Ridge GA, Blairsville GA, Hiawassee GA, McCaysville GA, Young Harris GA, Copperhill TN, Ducktown TN and Tellico Plains TN.

So if you actually think this theoretical charter would be incapable of putting 1A super-teams together in virtually any sport if someone at the school was driving it in that direction: i.e. Lincoln Charter in basketball, Mountain Island Charter in football, Uwharrie Charter in baseball, etc. you are sadly, sadly mistaken.

25 mile radius ‘as measured by an NCHSAA designated computer program.’

https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/Eligibility.pdf

Maybe when Andrews gets shut down by the County it’ll reopen as a charter. Pretty central to pull kids from about 5 NC counties within 25 miles.
If Avery would've had the opportunity to pull men's basketball players from bordering Watauga, Burke, Mitchell, McDowell, Carter (TN), and Caldwell counties, they would have been unstoppable 1A-3A and potentially 4A as well between 2014-2018. If the NCHSAA continually refuses to put charters in their own bracket (which occurs in TN) and find a way to solve the open enrollment issue (possibly by a multiplier), then those students, alumni, fans, administrators from traditional public schools will continue to have an issue. By the way Dadof23, glad to see your mighty Eagles downed by a new up and coming Chatham Charter squad.

BK, truest statement you have ever made. That random lottery sure selected an unusual number of state ranked wrestlers and high-level baseball players. MIC somehow or another randomly selects D1 football players and track athletes. Lincoln Charter randomly selects basketball players and distance runners. Dadof23, how can you, with a straight face, say that these are coincidences? Open enrollment systems like Forsyth County is a totally separate issue. They truly can recruit from a large metro area within the county's borders and remain 1A. An equally large advantage.
You are an idiot for saying any of those things...Check Lincoln Charters roster. Every one of those kids, minus 1, played MS and JV for LCS The runners the same thing. MIC pulls from Charlotte area seeing they are on the line of CMS so I'm sure that is why they get better athletes.

If Avery would've had the opportunity to pull men's basketball players from bordering Watauga, Burke, Mitchell, McDowell, Carter (TN), and Caldwell counties, they would have been unstoppable 1A-3A and potentially 4A as well between 2014-2018. If the NCHSAA continually refuses to put charters in their own bracket (which occurs in TN) and find a way to solve the open enrollment issue (possibly by a multiplier), then those students, alumni, fans, administrators from traditional public schools will continue to have an issue. By the way Dadof23, glad to see your mighty Eagles downed by a new up and coming Chatham Charter squad.
You may be competitive at best in 1A if you would do that. I think you drink the kool-aid of thinking your mountain talent is equal to those a little further to the east. If you think so highly of the talent in Avery, bring them down to Charlotte...heck Hickory or Gastonia and play someone every now and then. I've never seen that before. Lincoln Charter is a solid program that will be back. Will Avery?

You are an idiot for saying any of those things...Check Lincoln Charters roster. Every one of those kids, minus 1, played MS and JV for LCS The runners the same thing. MIC pulls from Charlotte area seeing they are on the line of CMS so I'm sure that is why they get better athletes.
Do not call people idiots. There can be a civil discussion without name calling.

NCHSAA is open to public and parochial schools. Henderson Collegiate is a charter school, which in a nutshell means run by a private board but with public money, subject to state authorization, and no tuition. So they are considered public schools under DPI.
It's called, all schools having loopholes and some have larger loopholes than others.

Last edited:
You may be competitive at best in 1A if you would do that. I think you drink the kool-aid of thinking your mountain talent is equal to those a little further to the east. If you think so highly of the talent in Avery, bring them down to Charlotte...heck Hickory or Gastonia and play someone every now and then. I've never seen that before. Lincoln Charter is a solid program that will be back. Will Avery?
Your argument is invalid. Our talent level has dipped but will be back in a few years. We're you alive from 2014-2018 to see an Avery team that was one of the top 2-3 non-charter, open-enrollment involved school in the 1A classification? Also, if we had pulled talent from Elizabethon, TN and Morganton, as well as the other counties listed above (all within a 25 mile radius) we would have been unstoppable even for the mighty WSP Phoenix and Lincoln Charter Eagles. Imagine recruiting and only having 1 state title to show for it...

Your argument is invalid. Our talent level has dipped but will be back in a few years. We're you alive from 2014-2018 to see an Avery team that was one of the top 2-3 non-charter, open-enrollment involved school in the 1A classification? Also, if we had pulled talent from Elizabethon, TN and Morganton, as well as the other counties listed above (all within a 25 mile radius) we would have been unstoppable even for the mighty WSP Phoenix and Lincoln Charter Eagles. Imagine recruiting and only having 1 state title to show for it...

Not to sure about that WS Prep part. Other than that I get your point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT