ADVERTISEMENT

Is East Forsyth Considered A Top 5 Team In The State?

Triadfootballfan

Oct 2, 2019
Resume has been very impressive over the last couple of years , and you can’t say they haven’t played anybody because they had the highest strength of schedule in the state up until playoffs this year according to MaxPreps...
They scrimmaged Charlotte Catholic and Richmond County last year , and then had a scrimmage set up against mallard creek this year until the event got rained out .

If you're looking at current 4A programs, not 2019 teams, I'd say top 5 in no particular order are
MC
Vance
Richmond
EF
Wake Forest (no idea what they have coming back, just based on sustained recent success)

Anyone else have an opinion?

Last edited:
1. Vance
2. MC
3. Weddington
4. Richmond
5. MP
Take Mallard Creek off that list until they win some playoff games. East Forsyth is a top 4 program in the state no matter what you say they're back to back Champs. Here are the best programs in the state.

Vance, East Forsyth, Catholic, Weddington, Reidsville, and so on.... you can go over what if all you want the best have the hardware end of story.

Take Mallard Creek off that list until they win some playoff games. East Forsyth is a top 4 program in the state no matter what you say they're back to back Champs. Here are the best programs in the state.

Vance, East Forsyth, Catholic, Weddington, Reidsville, and so on.... you can go over what if all you want the best have the hardware end of story.

Not end of story. Catholic, Weddington & Reidsville are not beating MC. EF would be a good game. MC would out score them by a few. If top program is off of Championships today? That’s a pretty easy observation since all of them won State Championships. Top team can mean different things based on what it entails.

Last edited:
After watching East and West Forsyth play this year I told several people that MC and Richmond would both get close to fifty points against them. Felt East was better but did not execute as well with some guys going down. Neither team was very physical and did not tackle well.

are you talking about a top 5 program or one of the top 5 teams. I think there are more than 5 teams that would beat them head to head this year (no particular order MC, Richmond, MP, Vance, Weddington, Leesville Road).

As far as top 5 programs, I think you are further down the list of sustained high level excellence programs (Shelby, Reidsville, Catholic, South Point, Wake Forest etc...).

So no, even though EF is a very nice team and program my unbiased view is they are not top 5 right now as a team or a program, but you guys are heading in the right direction!!

Reactions: Champ_24
I do not think EF cares!!! They will be sizing up their rings and a few of those that are and were better than them this year will not, thanks to VANCE, who will be sizing up thier rings this week!!! So for those of you that do not have any RINGS, you can sit here and DEBATE until the Cows come home. Have a Merry Chrismas and Happpy New Year!!!

Reactions: CCougarsfan
I do not think EF cares!!! They will be sizing up their rings and a few of those that are and were better than them this year will not, thanks to VANCE, who will be sizing up thier rings this week!!! So for those of you that do not have any RINGS, you can sit here and DEBATE until the Cows come home. Have a Merry Chrismas and Happpy New Year!!!
but the point of the entire string is that someone from EF does care that we think they are top five , you are right, take care of your business, size your rings and don't worry about being better than other champs or programs in matchups that won't ever happen. CONGRATS and just enjoy it. Have a blessed Christmas

East prolly doesnt care, with the returners next year they'll probably be getting fitted for ring #3. You hear about Reidsville and Shelby playing in little 2a with NO competition so I refuse to call them top 5.

Reactions: ggman
East prolly doesnt care, with the returners next year they'll probably be getting fitted for ring #3. You hear about Reidsville and Shelby playing in little 2a with NO competition so I refuse to call them top 5.

Yep! Competition collectively in 2A is weak.

Reactions: ggman
It depends on what time frame you are looking at with regards to programs but if you look at the resume since 2012 you would have to put them right behind Wake Forest and Mallard Creek in 4a. 2 titles, 4 Regional final appearances?? Bunch of 10 win + seasons.

Reactions: 336to919 and nepsy7
Top 5 4a past 10 years in my humble opinion-

1- Mallard Creek
2- Wake Forest
3- East Forsyth
4- Butler
5- Page

Over what period of time?? Is this all programs or just 4a because if your doing all the state regardless of classification EF doesnt come close
agree, no way EF ahead of Catholic and Weddington ----- look at the overall records of the teams in the 4a playoffs this year, If they had not watered down the size of 4a I think you get Weddington the last two years and have no titles --- But that is opinion, what is fact is if you account for all classifications EF is not close to top 5 program based on purely objective results --

Reactions: Champ_24 and btango
Shelby, Reidsville, Robbinsville, Murphy, Tarboro, Wallace Rose Hill, Weddington, Catholic all have more impressive resumes in the lower classifications than most 4A teams. Does not mean their team beats the larger schools the year they win a title but they are consistent and keep doing it.

agree, no way EF ahead of Catholic and Weddington ----- look at the overall records of the teams in the 4a playoffs this year, If they had not watered down the size of 4a I think you get Weddington the last two years and have no titles --- But that is opinion, what is fact is if you account for all classifications EF is not close to top 5 program based on purely objective results --
Y’all are crazy as hell if you don’t think EF comes close to a top 5 team in the state , they would kill Catholic in a game they scrimmaged last year and Catholic didn’t score on them at all and I would give EF the edge over Weddington. Weddington went back to back EF has went back to back so you have to go with the harder classification!

Y’all are crazy as hell if you don’t think EF comes close to a top 5 team in the state , they would kill Catholic in a game they scrimmaged last year and Catholic didn’t score on them at all and I would give EF the edge over Weddington. Weddington went back to back EF has went back to back so you have to go with the harder classification!

Didnt they play in playoffs a couple of years ago?

Are u jus talking to be talking or really using knowledge with that ur saying on here?

The last time CC played EF in a real game. Catholic beat a 12-1 EF team 28-24. Did something happen in between that time and now, that EF would now kill them? Please tell me you're not really using a scrimmage as a gauge to the outcome of game...lol!

Last edited:
The last time CC played EF in a real game. Catholic beat a 12-1 EF team 28-24. Did something happen in between that time and now, that EF would now kill them? Please tell me you're not really using a scrimmage as a gauge to the outcome of game...lol!
Yes a lot has happened , 2 State Championships!!!

in scrimmages cc often just moves the hall consistently and after so many plays you start over

cc also does not scheme in scrimmaged so they understand what they have.

way different than in a game.

we use to go up and down the field on indy when knott’s was there but would have never beaten them in a game

btw. saying cc and weddington would beat you is not an insult. heck weddington might take almost everyone this year.

Why is 4a tougher than 3aa?

You sound like you have watched only two years of football and that being EF. Don't know if your a kid or an overly excited parent but my opinion is 2017 and 2015 CC teams kick EF around. 2018 team I would bet on CC all day, this year is a weaker team but I would still not be surprised by either team winning. CC won 4 titles in the last 5 years and one of them was in 4a before they reduced the number of 4a teams. The honest truth is all the power in 4a this year went big to 4aa.

BTW the CC team that beat EF in 2016 WAS NOT as good as our 2015, 2017 or 2018 teams. I think EF in 2016 was as good as your last two championship teams.

This is a silly argument to compare the success of the EF program to the success of the CC program over the last 10 years, we have been to 10 regional finals and 6 championship games in 3a, 3aa and 4a, over that time winning 4 titles.

getting back to the original post EF is not a top five program in the state right now, and was not one of the top five teams in NC this year, CONGRATS you guys are moving in the right direction to get there, just keep moving forward.

I think EF in 2016 was as good as your last two championship teams.

To be clear, 2016 was 5th best EF team of last decade at best. I do think East has a very solid chance for a third straight in 2020 though. Knock 4A if you want but we can't help who we face in the playoffs. Every team we played this year made the playoffs except for RJR, and they all won at least one playoff game except SWG and Page. We're trying to beef up the schedule. I'd love to see a big time matchup with MC, Vance, Richmond, Weddington, somebody.

Last edited:
I do think East has a very solid chance for a third straight in 2020 though. Knock 4A if you want but we can't help who we face in the playoffs. Every team we played this year made the playoffs except for RJR, and they all won at least one playoff game except SWG and Page. We're trying to beef up the schedule. I'd love to see a big time matchup with MC, Vance, Richmond, Weddington, somebody.

You are correct you play who is in front of you.

Subdivided playoffs have built dynasties. A lot of the same teams every season in the third round and regional title game.

I never use the phrase "made the playoffs" to support any argument for how good a team is in NC. 224 out of 376 qualified or 60%. 48 of 79 in the 4A classification.

You are correct you play who is in front of you.

Subdivided playoffs have built dynasties. A lot of the same teams every season in the third round and regional title game.

I never use the phrase "made the playoffs" to support any argument for how good a team is in NC. 224 out of 376 qualified or 60%. 48 of 79 in the 4A classification.

Agreed, making the playoffs doesn't mean what it once did. But it's better than playing county 2A teams because WSFCS required it to keep all the money in county. Not sure what happened but most of the non conference scheduled this past year was out of county teams. Hopefully that scheduling freedom will continue and we can get some bigger games in the next few years.

IMO, 1A and 4A should not subdivide. 32 teams, just like 2A and 3A. Wonder what that 4A bracket would have looked like this year?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT