ADVERTISEMENT

If the boys 1a playoffs started today

Alleghany84

Feb 22, 2011
This is based on where they stand right now. Trying not to project the future will take care of itself.

Conference Champs

1. Cherokee I based it on more wins than Albemarle
2. Albemarle
3. Starmount
4. East Montgomery
5. Prep
6.Lincoln Charter
7.Avery
8. Hiwassee Dam

#2 Conference seeds
9. Alleghany
10. Hayesville
11. Mt Airy
12. North Moore
13. Queens Grant
14 Community School of Davidson
15 Mitchell
16 Nantahalla

#3 Conference seeds Mountain Valley and Western Highlands will not have a 3 seed
17 Robbinsville
18 Bishop
19 Pine Lake Prep
20 Union
21 South Davidson
22 Highlands

Wildcards
23 East Surry
24 Bessemer City
25 Cherryville
26 North Stokes
27 Rosman
28 North Stanly
29 Chatham Central
30 Swain
31 Highland Tech
32 Walkertown

This was a rather time consuming rough draft and based on today. There will be lots of movement by the time it is over. The further down in the bracket you go the more movement you will see.

As far as number 1's are concerned. The most likely changes could be Big Smoky where Cherokee still has away games against Robbinsville and Hayesville, and the Mountain Valley where Starmount is undefeated and Alleghany has one loss.

I realize that Prep only has a 1 game lead in the Northwest, but I think it is highly unlikely that they get knocked off. There is a big log jam right now in the 2-3-4 positions in that conference with 3 teams separated by 1 game who knows what will happen.

This seeding system that is in place creates some very strange situations where the lower seeded team is in some cases significantly better than the higher seeded team that they will be playing.

Very deep potential bracket. I am sure I messed something up, but if not wow there would be some very strong wild cards at 23, 24, and 25, and of course some teams that earned some higher seeds via placement in weaker conferences. It is not inconceivable that there could be a wildcard come out of the Northwest at 15 and 7 while Hiwassee Dam will most likely be a 8 seed at 11-11.

If I have missed something, someone let me know.

Originally posted by Alleghany84:

This is based on where they stand right now. Trying not to project the future will take care of itself.

Conference Champs

1. Cherokee I based it on more wins than Albemarle
2. Albemarle
3. Starmount
4. East Montgomery
5. Prep
6.Lincoln Charter
7.Avery
8. Hiwassee Dam

#2 Conference seeds
9. Alleghany
10. Hayesville
11. Mt Airy
12. North Moore
13. Queens Grant
14 Community School of Davidson
15 Mitchell
16 Nantahalla

#3 Conference seeds Mountain Valley and Western Highlands will not have a 3 seed
17 Robbinsville
18 Bishop
19 Pine Lake Prep
20 Union
21 South Davidson
22 Highlands

Wildcards
23 East Surry
24 Bessemer City
25 Cherryville
26 North Stokes
27 Rosman
28 North Stanly
29 Chatham Central
30 Swain
31 Highland Tech
32 Walkertown

This was a rather time consuming rough draft and based on today. There will be lots of movement by the time it is over. The further down in the bracket you go the more movement you will see.

If I have missed something, someone let me know.
I know how hard it is to do these, and I think you mostly did a good job. One thing I noticed is that, in order to be a #2 seed out of a split league, you actually have to come in second overall in the league, so that would knock Mitchell out of the two-seed and into the wild card group, because I think either Mtn Heritage or Polk (both 2A) will be second overall in the WHC.

Thanks for the input. I am aware of that scenario that you mentioned, but according to the standings on the other site that I used, Mitchell is in second place by one game. The information that I used may have been incorrect, but that is the best I had to work with.

No, you're right. Things have changed since I looked at the standings in the Asheville paper the other day. They're up by half a game or so.

One mistake you left out 1A Voyager Academy but good job glad to see you guys taking it on your self to start getting playoff talks going. I will hold back til conference tourneys start and regular season champs are crowned.

Gonna be some very interesting early games there ... I'm liking the new system

I think when it is all said and done, the Northwest 1A will look like this

1. WS Prep (11-1)
2. East Surry (8-3)
3. Mount Airy (8-3)
4. Bishop (5-6)
5. North Stokes (4-7)
6/7. Atkins or Walkertown

East Surry would get the tie-breaker over Mount Airy due to it's win over WS Prep. Now, MA could beat WS Prep but I don't see that happening. I don't see Bishop beating East Surry the 2nd time, and I don't see Bishop beating Mount Airy either.

The top 4 in the NW1A will be very tough to handle once the state playoffs roll around.

Looking at the remaining schedules ncball, I would say that you are probably correct. I would really be surprised if East Surry lost a conference game that they have left on their schedule. Mt Airy and Bishop have a much more difficult road the rest of the way than East does. I wish I had the time to project everyones finish but unfortunately that takes more time than I have.

I am sure the final bracket will look nothing like the one that I did based on where they were yesterday, but I thought it would be a fun thought/discussion provoking thing to do.

Originally posted by ncball04:
I think when it is all said and done, the Northwest 1A will look like this

1. WS Prep (11-1)
2. East Surry (8-3)
3. Mount Airy (8-3)
4. Bishop (5-6)
5. North Stokes (4-7)
6/7. Atkins or Walkertown

East Surry would get the tie-breaker over Mount Airy due to it's win over WS Prep. Now, MA could beat WS Prep but I don't see that happening. I don't see Bishop beating East Surry the 2nd time, and I don't see Bishop beating Mount Airy either.

The top 4 in the NW1A will be very tough to handle once the state playoffs roll around.
The tie breaker would only be for the conference tournament. The state tie breaker would be a meeting in the conference tournament or whichever advances to the final. If both are eliminated without advancing to the final and without another head-to-head contest then they will play a game to determine the seed. If one team has already won the head-to-head no tie breaker is needed.

You are correct recycled thanks for pointing that out. Same thing happened in Mountain Valley last year and it was explained that unless one of them advanced further in the conference tourney or played each other then a game would have to be played to determine seeding for the playoffs.

What happens in these split conferences if a 1A team is tied with a 2A team at the end of the regular season for #2 in the conference standings? Say for example, Starmount is #1 1A team. Alleghany and Wilkes Central tie for #2. Does Alleghany get a #2 seed in the playoffs or is it based on the tiebreaker that is used for the conference tourney?

bballerfanatic7....Alleghany would still be the #2 1A team and Wilkes Central would be the #1 2A team from conference...

The NW1A seeding will most likely come down to 4 remaining games - MA v Prep, MA v Bishop, Bishop v Prep, and ES v Bishop. If MA runs the table they would share the league title for regular season, however a loss by MA would put them in a potential tie with ES or Bishop. 2 losses by MA would drop them to at least a tie for 3rd. A win by ES over Bishop would set them up to finish no worse than 3rd (tied for 2nd if MA loses 1 more). Bishop has the most difficult remaining schedule, having to play MA, ES, and Prep. They are most likely looking at a 3rd or 4th place finish. Of course, there could always be an unusual upset (see the Bishop v Atkins game). It should be an interesting last week and a half.

You "hit the nail on the head" when you mentioned the strength of the seed # 23, 24, 25. I surely would hate to be a third place finisher in a conference and draw one of these teams. As the season winds down, these three seem to get stronger. This seeding is strange in that a 14-5 team could be seeded # 24. The toughest conference to play in this year is the Northwest and the second toughest is the Southern Piedmond. Dont be fooled with all the charter schools in the Southern Piedmont. They are good. Historically the bounday schools have finished first or second, but this year they are in the bottom. The charter schools in this conference figured out "how to do it." Guess you figured out another word for "how to do it." It the last letter in the word is t.

So you claim that the charter schools in that conference recruited (just say the word if you're going to allege it instead of "the word that ends with t"). What players do you know they recruited and have they been reported the the NCHSAA?

Catawba you, I, and most everyone else knew that it was a matter of time until they figured out the system. We knew they would get better and better and that it would not take them long to do it. Of course I see this as a shame, but it is the way it is. As traditional boundary schools, we will continue to become more and more disadvantaged as time goes by unless the nchsaa steps in and makes appropriate changes. Having evaluated the likely change in the 23 24 and 25 you will probably see Bishop move down there and East Surry move up, but I still see your ironmen and Bessemer city falling there if I understand the seeding rules correctly. By my understanding, the 23, 24, and 25 would play the 8, 9 , and 10 seeds. The 8-10 seeds actually represent the lowest seeded conference champs and the highest rated conference runner ups. Who knows what the next 2 weeks will hold, but a rematch of the sectional final game between your ironmen and my Trojans could conceivably be a first round game. Still a lot that can change though, we still have a legitimate shot at winning our conference, if we can beat Starmount the final regular season game of the year.

Best of luck on your continued battles with the charters.

Wow, it has only been a week and a half since I did this projection, and things have changed considerably as I knew they would. With one week left and lots of teams having very meaningful games left, there is likely to be considerable change happen this last week.

Bessemer City is 2nd in the Southern Piedmont so not everyone is at the bottom. Highland Tech. finished last, last season as well so your point is stupid. CSD returned almost everyone, Pine Lake returned everyone, and LCS only lost 2 players and have 3 really strong freshmen contributing. Nobody in that conference recruits or goes out looking for players so lay off of that. Cherryville is down this season. On paper they returned 3 starter but those 3 players were role players last season and are being asked to lead this season. It has been an adjustment this season but I'm sure they can/will make some noise in post season. Good luck to ALL teams no matter where they are seeded or community they represent.

I think Gates and Camden are tied, so the top seed from their league will probably not be decided until the conference tourney.

Queens Grant is a good competitive team. They would be alot better with the 6'8 kid but still a pretty competitive team. Union academy is coming on strong. They have the players and their new coach is really getting them going. The down team this year is NS. However when they get hot they get smokin hot from 3. I would say even to last year with Albemarle being better than last year.

It would not surprise me to see Queens grant sneak out a win in the playoffs or even union academy but they are not state contenders. NS could with the right matchup.

Thanks for the info. It has just been hard for me to get a feel. I knew that Albemarle had a good team, but hard to find lots of games that anybody from that conference had played to get a good reference point. I did find it interesting when E Montgomery snuck into the 1a top team, and I was not sure that was justified and did not figure it would last long.

EM has a couple of good players BUT is very well coached. Good speed and they are disciplined in addition work hard. I don't think they are a top ten team but definitely not a team to sleep on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT