ADVERTISEMENT

I vote Lion Attack

seadog28

Oct 4, 2004
Even though he is from Shelby, he’s the most knowledgeable amongst us!

Even though he is from Shelby, he’s the most knowledgeable amongst us!
Lol.... Dude! Why? Because, I knew that West Cabarrus is obviously in Cabarrus County, and obviously in Concord, NC.:p

Anyway, I know nothing. Regrettably, not even any post high school education for the Lion King, just the gift of gab, bro. I actually thought about you today, though. Our football guys on Facebook have uploaded a bunch of old games, including Shelby vs South Point ‘87. Were you on that team? Or, do you go back further than that?

Last edited:
Reactions: seadog28
As for as the actual smart guys go, I differ to you, Shelby Lion, Crestrulz, Rambbq, The Mule, FrankLostPassword when he’s not talking out of his ass, and Tarheel Fan1. Btango stands out. There are a few others. I seriously learned a couple of words from you, Crestrulz, and Shelby Lion over the years, though.

Last edited:
Stop being humble. All us Raiders puke in unison. Just being honest and nice before hating you in the fall! :)

Reactions: Lion Attack
Your right LA Jeff Jones has put a lot of great games from the 80s,90s, and early 2000s on YouTube. A lot of big gams and some big wins over the Red Raiders. If seadog ask you to meet some where don’t go.

Your right LA Jeff Jones has put a lot of great games from the 80s,90s, and early 2000s on YouTube. A lot of big gams and some big wins over the Red Raiders. If seadog ask you to meet some where don’t go.
I’m sure you watched about 95% of those games live, home and away. Man, that 86 and 87 backfield of George, Surratt, Mauney, and Harper was something special. They all had size, speed, and went D1.

It was cool seeing the old Wish Bone and Wing T offenses again. Could you call it on the best fullback we ever have? Cedric Surratt was special. Arsenio Parks was great. There were others. That 86 and 87 backfield, collectively, is the best ever, in my opinion. Norris Hopper, Pryor, Tate, and Petty were great, too. Also, loved seeing Holbrook and his wizardry running that option.

Also, I know you watched games dating even further back... Thunder and Lightening, Tommy London and Larry Eberhart. I heard stories on them being great.

Last edited:
Reactions: blkgolddynasty

I’ve met both of you knuckleheads (LA and SHS). You know I’m harmless. Lol.

I’ve met both of you knuckleheads (LA and SHS). You know I’m harmless. Lol.
Yep! You were a cool dude, and I could tell that you had gotten your drink on before the game. You were smiling, laughing a lot , and a little too happy.

Tailgating is a happy and healthy event. :)
Yeah, we need to try that at a Shelby game. SHS Lion is a little too uptight at times going into a game. We need to get him to loosen up some, let his nuts hang a little.

I’m just kidding, SHS LION. I was honored to see SHS on a couple of occasions, when he wasn’t in the press box. Cool dude, great looking guy for his age.

Last edited:
Been watching Shelby football for many years and the best running back
I saw was Marcus Mauney. Had speed and power and great vision.

Reactions: ocdavis31
Been watching Shelby football for many years and the best running back
I saw was Marcus Mauney. Had speed and power and great vision.
I remember watching him against my Thomasville Bulldogs in the championship game in 1968. Mostly, I watched him from behind as he juked me and ran by me. Better than running over me, I guess.

Reactions: SHS LION
Go to the 2:50 mark, and see what hand timed 4.29 speed looked like. Robert “Quickie” Williams and the Lions vs Gaffney in ‘94. Listen to the crowd and the band, and see the epic display of speed. I’m loving these old videos that are being uploaded.

Last edited:
Go to the 2:50 mark, and see what hand timed 4.29 speed looked like. Robert “Quickie” Williams and the Lions vs Gaffney in ‘94. Listen to the crowd and the band, and see the epic display of speed. I’m loving these old videos that are being uploaded.

He was a special player at Shelby. Went on to team with Dre Bly at UNC. Incredible two corner backs. Drafted by Kansas City in the NFL.

The Old Reservation In Gaffney had so much history.....The new reservation lacks the home field advantage they used to have

The Old Reservation In Gaffney had so much history.....The new reservation lacks the home field advantage they used to have
Literally the entire city of Gaffney would be at their games. Crazy atmosphere, intimidating, intense, and a definite home field. Any program would envy the kind of support they were getting during that time.

Last edited:
Reidsville has no idea what it like to play a team like Gaffney.

I was enjoying the old 90s football videos and you gotta say something silly like that.

But I have to ask, what exactly is it like to have played a team like Gaffney 25 years ago? Which loss from 93-96 stands out the most? Did Gaffney not win a state title those years because they beat Ol' Shelby and thought that was enough to write home about? How long til NotFactualDynasty shows up and gives us 1000 words on how close they were came in 95 but lost due to some BS reason?

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Off the top of my head.... Thoamsville and Burlington Cummings in the 90s through early 00s.
No comparison back in the 90's to Gaffney.A good example was in 97 when they played Crest who was the defending 4A Champs and ranked in top 20 in the country and they beat the Chargers by about 40.

Reactions: Mhsneer
No comparison? Yea ok.
Hell no! It’s no comparison. That was a totally different weight class. You’re talking about 4A big time South Carolina football during that time, and a program that once led the nation in state titles, and a time when SC teams would eat NC teams for breakfast. Don’t allow your Shelby hate to have you believing otherwise.

Hell no! It’s no comparison. That was a totally different weight class. You’re talking about 4A big time South Carolina football during that time, and a program that once led the nation in state titles, and a time when SC teams would eat NC teams for breakfast. Don’t allow your Shelby hate to have you believing otherwise.

Given that you all think every team you play could beat Alabama, please pardon my suspicion.

Cant deny Gaffney was pretty dang good, especially in the 90s, winning in 92 and 97.

Rams have seen lots of powerhouse teams. That Clinton team in 98 was a monster. Those Air Cav Cummings teams from Gutshall. Heck, Steve Johnson coached some killer teams as well early 2000s. And the granddaddy of them all, those prime Allen Brown Thomasville Bulldogs. That 95 squad is legendary. That D was so stingy you couldnt even buy a yard of fabric at local Thomasville fabric shops on Fridays

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
No comparison back in the 90's to Gaffney.A good example was in 97 when they played Crest who was the defending 4A Champs and ranked in top 20 in the country and they beat the Chargers by about 40.

Not saying we were a huge 4A, 4AA type team but we knew how to play tough with heart and hit. I would put Thomasville 91, 95, and 98 teams against anyone. Playing at Cushwa stadium was loud and great football environment. Same goes for some other teams Reidsville played.

But yeah, Gaffney has always been a big powerhouse.

Yep and contained him better than any of Shelby’s opponents that season, and obviously won the game.That was a great Darkhorse team.
It featured a qb (turned wr at NCSU for Rivers, a monster fullback in Ralph Smith, running back Willie Parker (UNC/Steelers) RB Faison who played in the same backfield with Willie Parker in short-yardage situations and a stellar defense, at shutting out a very very good East Duplin team (let me say very good a 3rd time) 35--0 in the eastern championship had beaten them in the regular season and won conference championship DarkHorses only loss)

I was enjoying the old 90s football videos and you gotta say something silly like that.

But I have to ask, what exactly is it like to have played a team like Gaffney 25 years ago? Which loss from 93-96 stands out the most? Did Gaffney not win a state title those years because they beat Ol' Shelby and thought that was enough to write home about? How long til NotFactualDynasty shows up and gives us 1000 words on how close they were came in 95 but lost due to some BS reason?

those Gaffney teams were unreal. They like their radio station seemed to go away almost over night. I woke up one morning turned on WAGI and the sound of salsa music was blaring. No more swap and shop, no more nothing could be finer and no more Indian football. Just one hell of a mariachi band and some dude talking Mexican lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT