ADVERTISEMENT

Hurdling

araiderfan

Aug 27, 2010
Can anyone explain the hurdling penalty in NC high school football? It was called tonight and I have never seen it called before...

You can not"hurdle" a opposed player. Also called tonight against Hough in Charlotte.

Been a rule for a while to prevent injury. I don't like that it penalizes athleticism with the stiffest mark off.

Reactions: Chopper747
A runner can hurdle on Saturdays and Sundays just not in high school. I don’t like it either. I really don’t like the 15 yard walkoff. If you’re gonna penalize it, make it 5 yards. It’s a natural reaction.

Annoying rule, so if a players laying on the ground and you jump over him is that hurdling too?

I really don't get the logic tbh. You can get injured trying to run a player over. You can injure yourself making a hard cut

In order for hurdling to be called the defender has to be on two feet. If the defender is laying on the ground or have a hand(s) on the ground it should not be penalized.

Reactions: Chopper747
In order for hurdling to be called the defender has to be on two feet. If the defender is laying on the ground or have a hand(s) on the ground it should not be penalized.

Unfortunately, that is not what the NFHS rules say. "Section 4; Article 3.d. No player or non-player shall hurdle an opponent."

Had to look it up because i have seen it called this year more than the previous 20 years of being around high school football. And every time it is called and then not called i have heard different interpretations of the rule. But according to the rule book there is only 1 and it is thou shall not hurdle an opponent.!!!!! Maybe the stupidest rule in the entire book. Best i heard was an official told a coach "your guy hurdled the defender, their guy jumped over the defender"............o_O

It is a rule. I'm in my 60s and I remember their activating such a rule long ago and seems like it pertained to pros and etc. Also,but I think college and pros done away with it. Although it struck a nerve when it was called on my raiders RAIDERS l ast might I felt like this ref was trying hard to keep Richmond out of the endzone during that period of the game, it had no stopping them on that drive. That being said, let me say it Is a rule but it should pertain to everyone. That was the first time I'd seen it flagged and marked off, but that's just me. Just dont be hurdling guys unless your running track...lol... GO RAIDERS...

Unfortunately, that is not what the NFHS rules say. "Section 4; Article 3.d. No player or non-player shall hurdle an opponent."

Had to look it up because i have seen it called this year more than the previous 20 years of being around high school football. And every time it is called and then not called i have heard different interpretations of the rule. But according to the rule book there is only 1 and it is thou shall not hurdle an opponent.!!!!! Maybe the stupidest rule in the entire book. Best i heard was an official told a coach "your guy hurdled the defender, their guy jumped over the defender"............o_O
You are correct that the rulebook says “No Hurdling”, however that only says that what is defined as “Hurdling” by the NFHS is illegal. It does not define what constitutes “Hurdling”. Hurdling is defined as what I stated in my original post, jumping over a defender who has no part of his body except one or both feet contacting the ground. The rule actually has not been around as long as people think. It was put in for HS football in 2012.

http://files.leagueathletics.com/Text/Documents/6005/57757.pdf

So many defenders tackle by going super low fir the lower leg that I think they should allow it.

Any thoughts on if high school football would be benefit if they just went strictly by the NCAA rules. I think it may be helpful fir football knowledge of the fans and players.

Last edited:
Rule changes: The forty second clock has clock operators stymied. The officials finally just gave up at Hoke. The two clocks often had different times on them go figure...

I have only seen it called over the years when the defender is upright and the potential or they were kicked in the head is the case. When the defender is diving or very low it wasn't called.

Reactions: btango
You are correct that the rulebook says “No Hurdling”, however that only says that what is defined as “Hurdling” by the NFHS is illegal. It does not define what constitutes “Hurdling”. Hurdling is defined as what I stated in my original post, jumping over a defender who has no part of his body except one or both feet contacting the ground. The rule actually has not been around as long as people think. It was put in for HS football in 2012.

http://files.leagueathletics.com/Text/Documents/6005/57757.pdf
Good spot Steelers06.

I stand corrected and appreciate you making me dig a little deeper. There is a Section 22 that defines the exact situation you pointed out. Foot, feet or knee, knees may not be forward while jumping (hurdling) an opponent who has a foot or feet on the ground.

You must cut and go around him, through him, or go down. I dont really like that rule. I can't remember anyone being injured, but it is a rule. What if it meant winning or losing the game on the last play? Too bad. Bring it back. You lose the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT