ADVERTISEMENT

Hunt (3A),1-1 @ SW Edgecombe, 1-1

SWE'98

Aug 17, 2010
I know I've been giving my Cougars a hard time, and felt like this game could get ugly early in Hunt's favor, but have you ever looked at a team and thought that your team ought to beat them? That's how I feel after seeing Hunt on the field. It just LOOKS like we ought to beat them. They were quite formidable last year, and beat the brakes off of us in Wilson. This year, they started with an ugly blowout loss to Rose, but Rose is coming off a state championship appearance (lost). Hunt then went on to smash Beddingfield last week, but Beddingfield is a win for nearly everyone right now. SWE got it handed to them bad by Northern Nash opening week, then did the same TO North Edgecombe last week. However, North Edgecombe isn't going to beat anyone outside of 1A, so beating them isn't something to brag on. But I do think that we can surprise the 3A Warriors tonight!

Reactions: UNC_91
Defense looks good early on. Hunt receives and goes 3 and out. We get the ball in good position, at the Hunt 40, but we go 3 and out ourselves.

Hunt with a 35 yard run to the 15, leads to a 2 yard td run. 0-7 Hunt.

First play of second quarter and SWE rb had an open lane to the endzone on a sweep play, but somehow ran into his receiver blocking the db. Left or right of the block would have netted him 6, but instead we almost suffered the infamous butt fumble. Several plays later, our punter mishandles the ball and is tackled at our own 30. Great field position for Hunt.

Last edited:
Hunt moves the ball near the 10, but penalties back them up. An attempted fg is missed. SWE holds.

SWE gaining yards through the air near the end of the 2nd quarter, down to the Hunt 30.

Spoke too soon. Penalty, next play is intercepted and returned 65 yards for a Hunt td. 0-14, Hunt.

• Haha
Half Hunt 14 SWE 0
Defense is playing well enough to win. Offensively, we are trying to attack Hunt's interior. It's been hit or miss, but it's probably our best bet. Can't get outside very well, due to Hunt's speed, and whenever we drop back to pass, a defender flushes our qb out and makes him panic. Our passing yardage has come from our qb throwing up prayers under duress. That's how the int happened. The defense is doing its job. I'm interested to see how long they can hold. Hoping for a fumble in Hunt's territory for a spark.

Anybody have any idea on the Tarboro/NE score? I'm guessing there's no phone reception out there.

A lucky guess, but I'd say there isn't a draw or a screen in the playbook.

SWE takes the ball to open the second half and looks great. Fumbles the ball at the Hunt 10, recovered by the Warriors.

Once again, the defense shines and forces Hunt into a 3 and out, punt. SWE ball at own 45.

Sounds lack an extreme lack of discipline. Especially after 3-4 unsportsmanlike penalties against NN

Fumble near midfield, recovered by Hunt. I knew that penalty would kill the drive. They look so dejected.

Defense shows out again and forces a punt, only to be nullified by a roughing the kicker penalty. First down for Hunt near the SWE 30, followed by a 20 yard run. Hunt threatening.

SWE gives the ball up at their own 20, and two plays later, a screen pass nets them 6 from 15 yards out. 0-21.

• Sad
Reactions: CrazyHeel
Another turnover gives Hunt a short field and they convert with a 20 yard td.

Final Hunt 28 SWE 0
Gotta do something about this offense. It's depressing to watch. Coming into the season, I thought the O would be the strong side while the D would suffer. The defense held their own tonight, giving up 3 tds on very short fields that the stale offense put them in. They gave up 0 sustained drives on the night. I was impressed by that side of the ball. But whatever the coach is trying to implement here at SWE on offense just ain't working.

Final Hunt 28 SWE 0
Gotta do something about this offense. It's depressing to watch. Coming into the season, I thought the O would be the strong side while the D would suffer. The defense held their own tonight, giving up 3 tds on very short fields that the stale offense put them in. They gave up 0 sustained drives on the night. I was impressed by that side of the ball. But whatever the coach is trying to implement here at SWE on offense just ain't working.
He should have never been hired. SW was in position to bring in a great coach. Unfortunately, the basketball goddess will watch the program fall back to where it was before Coach Cobb came over.

• Haha
He should have never been hired. SW was in position to bring in a great coach. Unfortunately, the basketball goddess will watch the program fall back to where it was before Coach Cobb came over.
I can't imagine that there wasn't a load of experienced coaches lines up for the job. To bring in a coach with 0 varsity head coaching experience blew my mind. Even though Johnathon Cobb was a 1st year head coach, we were coming off only a few years of excellence. But when he retired, the program was shining from 16-17 years of winning. It was a prime job, from a coaching standpoint. Maybe ECPS couldn't offer enough for a top coach. Idk. But this coach's hire was a headscratcher for sure. I concur with your assessment though. I think the AD likes to keep everything close knit and "in the family".

Tarboro's defense looks vulnerable right now that definitely makes this match up somewhat intriguing. I believe Tarboro wins but score may be closer than some think

I was thinking 50-0, but after looking at Tarboro's struggles, I'm now thinking 50-6.

• Haha
I can't imagine that there wasn't a load of experienced coaches lines up for the job. To bring in a coach with 0 varsity head coaching experience blew my mind. Even though Johnathon Cobb was a 1st year head coach, we were coming off only a few years of excellence. But when he retired, the program was shining from 16-17 years of winning. It was a prime job, from a coaching standpoint. Maybe ECPS couldn't offer enough for a top coach. Idk. But this coach's hire was a headscratcher for sure. I concur with your assessment though. I think the AD likes to keep everything close knit and "in the family".
After the fight at the scrimmage versus Fike, player ejections and unsportsmanlike penalties vs Northern and players slamming their helments on the the sidelines last night,. this coach has got to go, should be fired immediately.

Any way Raymond Cobb could return to swe?
I asked him twice, half jokely, but actually seriously. I sent him a picture of the WRH-SWE scoreboad last year and said "So how's that insurance thing going?" He responded with a face palm and smh. His birthday was just the other day, and I asked him if he could give ME a birthday present and return to the sidelines. He just laughed. Growing up as a son of a coach, and having success as a head coach himself, I can see him wanting to do something else other than football, but at the same time, I can see him missing it right about now too. Him coming back after this season would be perfect.

I asked him twice, half jokely, but actually seriously. I sent him a picture of the WRH-SWE scoreboad last year and said "So how's that insurance thing going?" He responded with a face palm and smh. His birthday was just the other day, and I asked him if he could give ME a birthday present and return to the sidelines. He just laughed. Growing up as a son of a coach, and having success as a head coach himself, I can see him wanting to do something else other than football, but at the same time, I can see him missing it right about now too. Him coming back after this season would be perfect.
It was still really bizarre how he retired. I gotta strong feeling that urge to coach is still there lol. He'd be better than what y'all have now. Every year I used to look forward to Tarboro playing y'all simply because usually y'all were undefeated same with us. You can't have a program that was a consistent power in the 2A East over the last 15 seasons, hit rock bottom this fast and not have somebody lose their job.

It was still really bizarre how he retired. I gotta strong feeling that urge to coach is still there lol. He'd be better than what y'all have now. Every year I used to look forward to Tarboro playing y'all simply because usually y'all were undefeated same with us. You can't have a program that was a consistent power in the 2A East over the last 15 seasons, hit rock bottom this fast and not have somebody lose their job.
My asking was to Johnathon Cobb, not Raymond. I misread your question. All I know is in 16 years of the wishbone, we had 175 games with 5 shut outs. 2+ seasons of this dang wing T has netted 22 games with 8 shut outs. Not a good look.

My asking was to Johnathon Cobb, not Raymond. I misread your question. All I know is in 16 years of the wishbone, we had 175 games with 5 shut outs. 2+ seasons of this dang wing T has netted 22 games with 8 shut outs. Not a good look.
Shoot either one would help lol. Maybe you'll find a new coach after this year. Honestly if you're a new head coach and three years in you have not accomplished too terribly much I'd say it's time to go

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT