ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball HS dead period, how it affects Legion baseball

can a legion team hire a high school coach that coaches high school team out of his legions teams drawing area? Stanly county could hire a coach from cabarrus county, or concond post 51 a coach from nw or al brown, , kannapolis post could hire central ,mt pleasant, concord,or robinson high school coach, In other words , could teams trade coaches?
Yes, absolutely -- See Bobby Dale Reynolds at Cherryville. The only issue with dead periods has to do with coaches coaching their own HS players during dead periods.

can a legion team hire a high school coach that coaches high school team out of his legions teams drawing area? Stanly county could hire a coach from cabarrus county, or concond post 51 a coach from nw or al brown, , kannapolis post could hire central ,mt pleasant, concord,or robinson high school coach, In other words , could teams trade coaches?
Any HS coach can coach as long as none of their players are on the team.

BaseballFan I agree that Legion season needs to be longer but it would never work during the high school season. I think it would create more conflict then a player playing on a travel and legion team.

High school teams practice more and can't afford to have a legion team using their pitching during the season when they are already limited.

What legion needs to do is push back the world series 2-3 weeks. Your football coach will understand if you are playing for the world series.

What really hurts NC is high school playoffs are so late compared to south carolina. South Carolina is already down to 8 teams in each classification. They do not do League tournaments at the end of their seasons.

Olrebel are you affiliated with a iv legion team? If so I would like to ask you a couple things

BaseballFan I agree that Legion season needs to be longer but it would never work during the high school season. I think it would create more conflict then a player playing on a travel and legion team.

High school teams practice more and can't afford to have a legion team using their pitching during the season when they are already limited.

What legion needs to do is push back the world series 2-3 weeks. Your football coach will understand if you are playing for the world series.

What really hurts NC is high school playoffs are so late compared to south carolina. South Carolina is already down to 8 teams in each classification. They do not do League tournaments at the end of their seasons.

Olrebel are you affiliated with a iv legion team? If so I would like to ask you a couple NC needs to go back to playing 7 games series for the state championship. area 4 champ played area 3, area 2 played are 1, and winners played, world series should be 16 team double elimination tournament regional a 4 team double elimination tournament

Please understand that I love it when we (those involved & dedicated) seek solutions so I'm not shutting down your thoughts, just want to add some harsh realities to obstacles of a later World Series. Without dropping the college players which I don't believe will ever happen, the World Series is pushed as late as it ever will be. We had kids missing the start of their fall semester when we went to the World Series. There seems to be a trend forming in high school to start earlier and finish earlier which will help Legion some. One substantial difference between successful programs and one's that just survive is ability to get the best players on the field and funding. I believe that any program that exists is a bonus because win or lose on the field, relationships are formed and kids learn more about life in a baseball environment than spending the summer at the pool. Almost every previous travel ball parent & player that has played in our program states that they should have done Legion the entire time. How that does not translate to the younger crowd amazes me still. I'm very aware of what most people trade to run the showcase circuit, but our players that are successful in college and the pro level attribute their success to the lessons & experience from a rigorous Legion schedule and better competition. College coaches tell me all the time that they don't have to teach Legion kids to compete and often spend showcase players freshman season breaking them into a team concept. For the offended person about my comments, I'm just as willing to talk about the problems with Legion. I have no intention to pick a fight, start a debate or hurt anyone's feelings.

Post 36 I really hope and wish the exposure that ESPN is giving during the World Series helps kids want to play. I remember growing up watching the little league world series wishing I had the opportunity to get there and drove me to work harder.

I'm only speaking for Senior Legion. If you can get the best graduating seniors and 1-2 graduate players I think you set yourself up for a great season. When the high schools you draw from don't have any seniors that year or weak senior class that is were your team may be bad for that one year.

I will say this and this is my own opinion. I know some legion teams tell kids that either they play Travel Ball or Legion ball pick one. To me that doesn't work. If you can honestly talk to that kid and look over his travel ball schedule and he won't miss more than a couple games games I am fine with that as a coach. We have to co exist. Just my opinion.

Olrebel are you the Head Coach?

When you look at the travel ball vs Legion argument, we are close enough to the Charlotte metro area that there are a ton of really good travel ball options for our guys. We are also fortunate to have several schools in our coverage area, so we generally promote to our guys to continue playing travel ball and then play legion their senior year. We do not have a ton of continuity this way....IE: we generally have a radically different roster from year to year. It makes it interesting for us, as we are never certain year to year what kind of product we will have until we get started. However, I know in some more rural areas that is more difficult.

@Skools, I am on staff there.

olrebel I live in a more rural area, Randolph county, than you so I believe it is a little bit different. There are 2 legion teams in the county, ER and what used to be called Asheboro which inexplicably changed its name to Randolph County, and both teams have become more of a regional entity than a local one

. Back in the 70s- 80s, I know long time ago, both teams were made up mostly of players from the 2 local high schools. Both enjoyed a lot of success while building stronger high school teams. I myself was on the ER team before I could legally drive. Now the model is similar to the one you describe for your area. Mostly older players on both rosters. Also have many ballplayers from many different schools.

Now we do have junior legion so several do participate that way, however some are caught in that loophole between junior and senior year where they may have to hunt for a place to play. Some of the local boys travel to Charlotte area to be on those travel teams.

I just think that this has not helped the development of high school teams in rural area as boys used to play with basically the same guys for 3 years. But as my children say, I am old.

Haha, no, I agree exactly with what you're saying. It's affected high schools in rural and metro areas, as you do not get that continuity with your teammates throughout the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT