ADVERTISEMENT

How much money is really at stake if football is canceled?

I was thinking the other day about this. There has been s lot of talk about missing the non conference games and starting off later against your conference only. Say your a team like Havelock, their biggest gates have to be West Craven and New Bern. Neither are in their conference. Jacksonville has a 6 team conference. This means a 5 game season. We host only 2 games this year, all our sports are in deep trouble.

Hopefully they figure something out. A lot of teams are starting practice Monday
The list is growing on the ones that were scheduled to start Monday but has now been delayed.

I know WSFCS just announced about 2pm, they were delaying to 7/20.

The Central Carolina Conference has ten teams.

Honestly, it makes a big difference who you play if they have to break it up. 1-5 are pretty stout. 6-10 range from not good to ultra horrible.

It’d be a shame for someone to miss the playoffs because #6 had the easiest schedule and only lost one game to a top tier CCC team.

I’m sure they’d figure out an equitable way, but its definitely something to think about.

I put a plan forward 2 months ago but no one commented. First, 2 months ago I thought we'd have some type of season. Today, I'm not so sure. If there is football this school year, I'm beginning to think it might have to be a spring season. I've put out my plan again. It is based on the idea that we would eventually be allowed to have a season this fall. It would also assume we'd be able to have fans. Both are big "ifs." Regardless, I would be interested to know what you all think.

The biggest issue with skipping non conference games and just playing conference games is as some of you have just identified. Not all conferences are equal in size and for many schools, their best gates are non conference opponents. Some schools would have 5 game seasons, some would have to par down and not play someone if they are in a 10 team league. Who would decide that?

Here is the plan.
  • Abolish conferences. At least for this season.
  • Abolish schedules as they currently exist. Wipe the slate clean, reboot.
  • Start practice Monday, August 31st
  • Start an 8 game season on Sept 18th
  • Allow teams to schedule whomever they want and/or whoever they can find. If I'm an AD I'm going to schedule games with teams that will help me at the gate and not cost me a fortune in travel.
  • Since some schools may not be able to find 8 opponents, or even 6 for that matter, some adjustment has to be made for the playoffs.
  • Here is where some will lose it but if a plan like this were enacted, it's really the only practical way to approach it. Allow everyone to make the playoffs.
  • Teams that end up not playing a full schedule, or end up playing a tough schedule, would not be penalized if they fail to win a minimum number of games.
  • Teams would be seeded by maxpreps rankings. I realize a team that under schedules in terms of strength might gain a higher seed but I think these cases would be rare.
  • There can always be a couple of adjustments such as teams must play a minimum number of games. NCHSAA can decide.
  • Teams could also opt out of the playoffs if they are ready to move on to basketball.
  • The state championships are currently scheduled to be played Dec 12th. That follows 5 weeks of playoffs. An extra week could be added to accomodate the expanded playoffs due to extra teams and still finish the season before Christmas.

This is an idea that if to be considered needs to be pitched soon. Teams would need time to schedule.

I put a plan forward 2 months ago but no one commented. First, 2 months ago I thought we'd have some type of season. Today, I'm not so sure. If there is football this school year, I'm beginning to think it might have to be a spring season. I've put out my plan again. It is based on the idea that we would eventually be allowed to have a season this fall. It would also assume we'd be able to have fans. Both are big "ifs." Regardless, I would be interested to know what you all think.

The biggest issue with skipping non conference games and just playing conference games is as some of you have just identified. Not all conferences are equal in size and for many schools, their best gates are non conference opponents. Some schools would have 5 game seasons, some would have to par down and not play someone if they are in a 10 team league. Who would decide that?

Here is the plan.
  • Abolish conferences. At least for this season.
  • Abolish schedules as they currently exist. Wipe the slate clean, reboot.
  • Start practice Monday, August 31st
  • Start an 8 game season on Sept 18th
  • Allow teams to schedule whomever they want and/or whoever they can find. If I'm an AD I'm going to schedule games with teams that will help me at the gate and not cost me a fortune in travel.
  • Since some schools may not be able to find 8 opponents, or even 6 for that matter, some adjustment has to be made for the playoffs.
  • Here is where some will lose it but if a plan like this were enacted, it's really the only practical way to approach it. Allow everyone to make the playoffs.
  • Teams that end up not playing a full schedule, or end up playing a tough schedule, would not be penalized if they fail to win a minimum number of games.
  • Teams would be seeded by maxpreps rankings. I realize a team that under schedules in terms of strength might gain a higher seed but I think these cases would be rare.
  • There can always be a couple of adjustments such as teams must play a minimum number of games. NCHSAA can decide.
  • Teams could also opt out of the playoffs if they are ready to move on to basketball.
  • The state championships are currently scheduled to be played Dec 12th. That follows 5 weeks of playoffs. An extra week could be added to accomodate the expanded playoffs due to extra teams and still finish the season before Christmas.

This is an idea that if to be considered needs to be pitched soon. Teams would need time to schedule.

I’ll comment. That would be a scheduling and logistics nightmare. School Admins have so much on their plate right now that we don’t need to put more headaches on them.

Reactions: LHSfaninVA
Appreciate the honest response. Another reason why I first proposed it 2 months ago.I figure most people in a plan like this would schedule closest rivals and fill in from there.

Let's hope football, among other things, survives.

We could end up seeing higher athletic participation fees in order for high school sports to survive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT