ADVERTISEMENT

How Does Your SMC Team Look Through June Workouts?

GreyGod623

Nov 24, 2012
Guess everyone is camping and scrimmaging through end of June. How does each team (boys/girls) look? Any surprises? New talent?

Hayesville Boys should be very good they have 4 Starters back and only lost 2 players total, and one incoming Freshman will move straight to Varsity and should have a impact, Girls they lost 4 starters but they been working hard all summer in camps hard to tell what to expect they will be very young and had great JV talent last season and they have a incoming Freshman going straight to Varsity also

Right now i say Boys repeat at SMC Champs and Girls Finish 4th behind Cherokee Rville and Murphy

Hayesville Boys should be very good they have 4 Starters back and only lost 2 players total, and one incoming Freshman will move straight to Varsity and should have a impact, Girls they lost 4 starters but they been working hard all summer in camps hard to tell what to expect they will be very young and had great JV talent last season and they have a incoming Freshman going straight to Varsity also

Right now i say Boys repeat at SMC Champs and Girls Finish 4th behind Cherokee Rville and Murphy
Who is the freshman girl going straight to Varsity?

My predictions for boys

1. Hayesville
2. Andrews
3. Murphy
4. Cherokee
5. Robbinsville
6. Swain
7. Rosman

It is hard to predict at this point until football season is over and we can see if any kids get injured, if any teams make deep football runs that could slow the basketball team's development, etc. The top teams were so young last year, though, that I don't expect a lot of change in finishing order.

Hayesville should be stacked, since they won the conference, knocked off two non-traditional schools in the first two rounds of the playoffs, and gave North Rowan a scare in the third round with four freshmen and sophomores in the starting lineup (plus a couple more sophomores as key reserves). But people should also realize that the one starter that graduated will be hard to replace with the size and versatility that he brought to the table.

Andrews will have a loaded backcourt with tons of speed--they could have the entire regional champ 4X100 relay team getting a ton of minutes on the perimeter. And they aren't just athletes, they can play, too, as one of those guys is the reigning player of the year and another averaged a little under 15 points per game last year. But their identity could change a lot depending on whether the rising junior bigs that didn't play last year come back out. They could either be a really good small-ball team, or a more traditional, balanced team with some broad, skilled 6-4 kids to go along with those guards. If it's the former, I think they still win a lot of games, but I like their playoff chances more if it's the latter.

Robbinsville's group was very successful two years ago on JV, and I've heard good things about the transfer they got from Union Co. They also could add a big man who has gotten a lot of minutes at Andrews the last two years.

I think Lossiah was really Cherokee's heart last year--as evidenced by their results when he was injured the second half of the season--so replacing him will be hard. But the Braves never seem to have a shortage of quick guards and Santa Maria gives them a good, experienced big guy to rebuild the backcourt around.

Murphy has some really good guards returning in Abling and Dorsey, and I think will be closer to the team that won the conference tourney than the team that struggled in the regular season. But it's always hard to get in a groove when you don't get much basketball practice in until mid-December. Not that Murphy fans would like it any other way.

Swain should have a really nice young wing coming back and a huge kid down low, but lost most of the rest of their key players and the JV wasn't great.

Rosman will be in pretty much total rebuilding mode with Thomas transferring and most of their other key players graduating. And they'll be rebuilding with a last-place JV team, I believe.

I also think the balance between the LSMC and BSMC will probably be back to normal this year with Highlands and HD having both taken big hits to graduation.

Last edited:
These Robbinsville girls will be young with some freshman and sophomores on the team. I expect a top 3 finish this year and top 2 the next 3 years.

I hate to hear this. Hopefully it will be a quick recovery
they are saying hes def out for football and if he wnats it to heal correctly he needs to sit out basketball also, gonna be tough to replace down low since our other big graduated, but we got some really good guard so who knows

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
they are saying hes def out for football and if he wnats it to heal correctly he needs to sit out basketball also, gonna be tough to replace down low since our other big graduated, but we got some really good guard so who knows
Yes Hayesville still has many weapons and a very aggressive defense. They will be fine

McTaggart is well ahead of schedule healing and if all goes will he will be back for 2nd half of basketball season
That's great news, with him Hayesville has a shot to do real damage in the playoffs, without him would've been very tough.

Hayesville and Andrews are the cream of the crop in the conference, going to be in their own tier. 'Dogs definitely have the 'talent' to be 3rd Dorsey and Abling will be a solid backcourt, they're adding size with a 6'3 transfer who should probably help them in the post and they're bringing up some solid kids off JV. With that said the style of play didn't fit the talent on hand last year and I assume they're going to run similiar stuff this year too, so we'll see.

Last edited:
My Updated Prediciton

1. Hayesville - If McTaggart returns second half of season i think Hayesville takes the conference, if he doesnt i think it will be a toss up between them and Andrews, Jackets lose Senior leader big Dwain Cook which will be hard to replace leadership wise, and 6th man Payton Kreiger who was fast and good on defense, but PG Kolbe Ashe was only a freshman last season who should take over as the leader and with one season under his belt should be very good, also last year Freshman Big Jake McTaggart if he gets back from injury, then they pair them with Juniors Blake McClure and Hayden McClure both who have started since Freshmen and can score and are both very fast and pesky on Defense, and they will get upcoming Freshman Kyle Lundsford who will play a big roll this season, hes tall and athletic, as well as returning Junior Brady Shook, Junior Paul White and Senior Mark Cothern, and we also had a couple transfers from Union who are playing football and one from somewhere else, not sure if any of them are basketball players though

2. Andrews - They will be challenging for conference title once again they lose a couple bigs Cody Mathis, Eric Maennle, and Zac Sheppard to Graduation and Xavier Rattler to Robbinsville which will hurt, but they have back a dynamic backcourt in Kabe Ellis who can score at will, as well as Landon White and Tucker Holloway, those 3 should keep them in contention as they also return Conner Silvers and Jose Martinez, as well as a few upcoming Jv players and not sure as of now if they got any transfers

3. Murphy - Murphy will look to continue improvement from their end of year run and conference tournament title, they will lose Seniors Micah Nelson who was very athletic, Reid Beal, Hunter Shope and Tyler Simonds. But they return a very good and athletic back court of Abraham Abling and Justice Dorsey, and also returning Chase Newton and Multiple other Seniors to go along with a good JV team and a big man Transfer

2. Andrews - They will be challenging for conference title once again they lose a couple bigs Cody Mathis, Eric Maennle, and Zac Sheppard to Graduation and Xavier Rattler to Robbinsville which will hurt, but they have back a dynamic backcourt in Kabe Ellis who can score at will, as well as Landon White and Tucker Holloway, those 3 should keep them in contention as they also return Conner Silvers and Jose Martinez, as well as a few upcoming Jv players and not sure as of now if they got any transfers
For Andrews if O'Dell (6'3) and B Holloway (6'4) play this season their ceiling will be a lot higher. Those two aren't just big kids either, they have skill and talent. Of course if they don't play the 'Cats will have very little size and it will hurt them a lot come playoff time.

Last edited:
4. Cherokee - Braves lose a lot of Seniors including leading PG Lossiah, as well as the other Lossiah, as well as Layno Crowe Smith and Evans 11 out of their `16 man roster was Seniors, that will be hard to replace, but they Return Leader and Big man Sterling Santa Maria, bobby crowe, ethan crowe, chris johnson and chris hartbarger, not sure how the JV was or if any transfers are in

For Andrews if O'Dell (6'3) and B Holloway (6'4) play this season their ceiling will be a lot higher. They aren't just bigger kids either, they have skill and talent. If they don't play the 'Cats will very little size and it will hurt them a lot come playoff time.
I hope they both play to make the conference stronger and have a better chance in playoffs

Reactions: mbdfan
5. Robbinsville - I really don't know how to predict this team they could be top 3 or could be bottom 2, and i really dont know a lot about them but they do return 12 of their 15 man roster last season, had a couple of good JV players and got Xavier Rattler from Andrews and another transfer from Union Co, Ga, so who knows as of now

4. Cherokee - Braves lose a lot of Seniors including leading PG Lossiah, as well as the other Lossiah, as well as Layno Crowe Smith and Evans 11 out of their `16 man roster was Seniors, that will be hard to replace, but they Return Leader and Big man Sterling Santa Maria, bobby crowe, ethan crowe, chris johnson and chris hartbarger, not sure how the JV was or if any transfers are in

I think Hartbarger is at Franklin now. But I have been seeing a 6-9 kid listed as being from Cherokee on some of the Phenom Hoop Reports. Listed as a junior. That could make things interesting.

Reactions: mbdfan
The union kid isn't at Robbinsville anymore from what I heard.

My Updated Prediciton

1. Hayesville - If McTaggart returns second half of season i think Hayesville takes the conference, if he doesnt i think it will be a toss up between them and Andrews, Jackets lose Senior leader big Dwain Cook which will be hard to replace leadership wise, and 6th man Payton Kreiger who was fast and good on defense, but PG Kolbe Ashe was only a freshman last season who should take over as the leader and with one season under his belt should be very good, also last year Freshman Big Jake McTaggart if he gets back from injury, then they pair them with Juniors Blake McClure and Hayden McClure both who have started since Freshmen and can score and are both very fast and pesky on Defense, and they will get upcoming Freshman Kyle Lundsford who will play a big roll this season, hes tall and athletic, as well as returning Junior Brady Shook, Junior Paul White and Senior Mark Cothern, and we also had a couple transfers from Union who are playing football and one from somewhere else, not sure if any of them are basketball players though

Well all but one of the SMC schools are hitting the hardwood this week! Any change in thoughts about this season (Men’s or Women’s)?

On the boys side, looks like Hayesville and Andrews both have gotten good answers to frontcourt questions from the offseason. Should be the favorites, but Cherokee and Murphy could also be dangerous. On the women’s side, Murphy should be the favorite and good enough to challenge for a state title, and Cherokee and Robbinsville should both also be very good.

Well all but one of the SMC schools are hitting the hardwood this week! Any change in thoughts about this season (Men’s or Women’s)?
I think it will start slow as usual because of SMC football. It might be January before we really see who is for real. I never take any team for granted so I’m always a little nervous. Could be a very tight conference race

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT