ADVERTISEMENT

How do you win a state championship in football?

it is a interesting thought. Every blue moon a school like hibriten or weddington find all the pieces to make a deep run...or West Rowan and find the pieces for three straight years. But suddenly, they disappear. Just a distant memory. Makes you wonder what makes Crest, Shelby, SP and Catholic so different...oh yeah, all of us recruit! Duh nevermind. Lmao

How's the Red Raiders going to be this year? Is the JV qb taking over?

OHHH I how I hope that BLUE MOON shines brightly this year!!

How's the Red Raiders going to be this year? Is the JV qb taking over?
r

We got this, SHS! Our QB is meaner than a rattlesnake and twice as fast on the option! A cross between Goo and Tyler Bray. Have fun Kitty Kat!

r

We got this, SHS! Our QB is meaner than a rattlesnake and twice as fast on the option! A cross between Goo and Tyler Bray. Have fun Kitty Kat!
The best QB in Red Raider history?Maybe this is the year that SP finally gets past the second round in 2A football.

The best QB in Red Raider history?Maybe this is the year that SP finally gets past the second round in 2A football.

Why didn’t you guys ask us how to beat Hibriten? Like you, they’re our bitches. :)

it is a interesting thought. Every blue moon a school like hibriten or weddington find all the pieces to make a deep run...or West Rowan and find the pieces for three straight years. But suddenly, they disappear. Just a distant memory. Makes you wonder what makes Crest, Shelby, SP and Catholic so different...oh yeah, all of us recruit! Duh nevermind. Lmao

my thought is that the coaches get good enough and then they leave for better schools. Would you say that is the case? or maybe their top assistants who really run the program leave for DC/OC or even HC jobs somewhere else?

Crest & Shelby - It's the Cleveland County effect. There are athletes all over the county, that's why Burns and KM have good runs every few years. Most of the athletes are in and around the Shelby area though.

South Point - It's the system. The kids grow up running the system, so by the time they get to high school, they're not learning anything new. They're just building on what they've ran all of their life.

Catholic - Has a bigger area than most schools have to draw from. I don't believe they recruit. They just have an "hour drive radius" around their school where most schools have about a "15-20 minute radius." That allows them to pull from a much larger demographic than public schools.

My hate for the Golden Lions is slowly melting. My Preps Lions are great dudes, and Dax will be playing for my team. I now only hate them on game week!

Reactions: BL1
No hate here for any of yall, even with the cold 4th round ass whoopin 2 yrs ago. Just figure we owe you one! Hopefully this hibriten team plays as they should, if they do.... that blue moon may shine here again

Reactions: seadog28
Crest & Shelby - It's the Cleveland County effect. There are athletes all over the county, that's why Burns and KM have good runs every few years. Most of the athletes are in and around the Shelby area though.

South Point - It's the system. The kids grow up running the system, so by the time they get to high school, they're not learning anything new. They're just building on what they've ran all of their life.

Catholic - Has a bigger area than most schools have to draw from. I don't believe they recruit. They just have an "hour drive radius" around their school where most schools have about a "15-20 minute radius." That allows them to pull from a much larger demographic than public schools.

I agree with this, but there are and will always be teams that just make you scratch your head and wonder “what in the hell is going on?” We’ve talked about the Ashbrook curse till we’ve beat that horse dead. Hunter Huss should have been a state contender last year...I’ll never understand it. But Stuart Cramer damn shocked Concord in the playoffs, explain that.

No hate here for any of yall, even with the cold 4th round ass whoopin 2 yrs ago. Just figure we owe you one! Hopefully this hibriten team plays as they should, if they do.... that blue moon may shine here again

Brother I’m not trying to take cheap shots at hibriten or weddington or any school for that matter. In all honesty, I wish I could have been at the stadium when Hibriten won that state championship, the looks on the community’s faces would have been priceless. Plus they beat one of the best programs/state power to get to the ship (which is also Crests biggest rival lmao) I hope Hibriten keeps winning and becomes a state power. Our area needs better competition and I hate playing those rich snobby Kardashian TC Roberson rams

Reactions: BL1 and seadog28
CREST91 If we scrimmage again this year, you probably will still see the same look on most of our faces. lol But you are correct when stating numerous things must come together for us to make that deep run. Actually, 2018/2019 was what some were hoping to be one of our best year. Who knew that would happen last year? Three more years our program takes a hit, until then we ride that blue moon. The best thing is getting to play these "power house" programs from cleveland and gaston counties in the playoffs, win or loose, is awesome for our kids and community. Right now our cleveland county record is better than our gaston county record in the last 3 years!! hmmm i think we owe someone an ass whoopin? If you wanted to see someone from hibritens face looking in disbelief you should have been there that cold fourth round friday night.

I think you’re also ignoring Catholic’s system that Oddo built. Down at Holy Trinity middle there is a 6th, 7th and 8th grade team. Many of the coaches are CC alums and every team runs the Wing T and our defense.
So when these kids show up as freshman they’ve been running many of the same plays for 3 years. So most of the time coaches at Catholic are fine tuning, they are teaching, but not like teaching what a lead is. They do install more complex plays once they get to CC though.
However, Id say CCs middle school feeder and the system they have is a huge part of their success over the years. You see a direct correlation in CCs recent success when the first batch of kids who’d played football at Holy Trinity from 6-8th grade showed up. Started in 96 at HT so they were seniors in 2002....Catholic’s first 10+ win season since 1989

I think you’re also ignoring Catholic’s system that Oddo built. Down at Holy Trinity middle there is a 6th, 7th and 8th grade team. Many of the coaches are CC alums and every team runs the Wing T and our defense.
So when these kids show up as freshman they’ve been running many of the same plays for 3 years. So most of the time coaches at Catholic are fine tuning, they are teaching, but not like teaching what a lead is. They do install more complex plays once they get to CC though.
However, Id say CCs middle school feeder and the system they have is a huge part of their success over the years. You see a direct correlation in CCs recent success when the first batch of kids who’d played football at Holy Trinity from 6-8th grade showed up. Started in 96 at HT so they were seniors in 2002....Catholic’s first 10+ win season since 1989

I have said for a decade that the success can be traced to that first group that went through three years in the football program but no one believes it.

Cougs, I think it is correct that Catholic has had two players get college scholarships that did not play at Holy Trinity since that first class came through. One moved when his father was transferred to Charlotte from Cincinnati where he attended a Catholic school. The other was a Catholic church member who came from one of the nearby middle schools.

I have said for a decade that the success can be traced to that first group that went through three years in the football program but no one believes it.

Cougs, I think it is correct that Catholic has had two players get college scholarships that did not play at Holy Trinity since that first class came through. One moved when his father was transferred to Charlotte from Cincinnati where he attended a Catholic school. The other was a Catholic church member who came from one of the nearby middle schools.
Two since Brodowicz took over. One moved in from Ohio, other was at CC as a freshmen.

Cougs won’t tell you this, but the defensive line is from South Carolina. The LBs from Miami. The Dbs from Georgia. The OL from Pennsylvania. The RBs from Cali. And the QB is flown into practice daily from IMG. I left out WRs and the rest because they live within 10 minutes of the school and don’t play a down.

Last edited:

You are correct. It's amazing what happens when a football community or middle and high schools work together instead of going their separate ways. Instead, the "daddy's" of youth ball and the "know it all's" of middle school coaches want to do their own thing. It happened at Burns Middle School in basketball when I was coming through. Burns was in the division with the Lincoln County Schools and basically won the division every year. It's because we "out-athleted" other teams. But when those same kids got to high school, they couldn't run plays, didn't know how to play defense, couldn't make layups with the opposite hand, and the list goes on. In all sports, little league and middle school shouldn't worry about winning. They should worry about fundamentals and schemes so that when they get to high school, they can build off of that and be a successful group.

Reactions: Crestuff
the best system catholic has is their recruiting system.

The best system catholic has is deep runs every year, same as Shelby Kids grow up in that tradition and strive to continue it. Young kids look up to those high school kids, community gets behind and supports these schools.

Preseason battle of possibly the number 1 3A and number 1 2A teams in the state.

I agree this is possible. It is also possible that Crest may not even be the best 3A team in there county or even one of the best 2 teams in their own conference.

To hear Crest people talk in the community, this is the year that all that young talent grows up and delivers. I mean some posters on here have been saying they are young for 4 or 5 years now. Word is that Eddins has all the kids bought into the weight room and that is always a good thing. The KM kid over there will have an impact on both sides of the ball. I don't believe they will have many weaknesses on that team.

Hunter Huss certainly is a head scratcher. All that talent (more arrived via transfer this spring) for the coaching staff to work with. After defeating Crest last season, the improvement of their young skill players, coupled with the D1 caliber additions they have made this spring, they have to be considered a contender in the Big South. Anyone over looking them will be making a big mistake.

A lot of people are saying that this is going to be Coach Lloyds most talented group of skills players he has had at KM. The one negative is that the majority of all that talent is young underclassmen. How quick can those young guys grow up and be ready to produce on Friday nights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to agree with the CatholicCougs14 and BleedBlue. It all starts with continuity with the kids from middle school on up. We all have seen teams with "freak" athletes make a splash in the pan for a few years and then they disappear into the dark and become middle of the road teams. Where as you look at the Charlotte Catholic, Crest, Clinton, Murphy, Shelby, and a couple other you see two things. 1 - Consistency from middle school on up. 2 - Coaches taking athletes who are so-so and making them better than they are. Sure, everyone can talk recruiting with Catholic - I don't see it. In today's football with all the flash the spread, RPO's, and Air Raid what "athlete" wants to choose to go to school that runs an offense that no college team in D1 run; the wing-t? They always have a really good back and kids that have a high football IQ that don't shoot themselves in the foot.

This learning starts in middle school. Way to often you see guys who have never played a lick of football coaching middle school teams. They know nothing about the development of individual technique and how to apply that to a scheme. I went and watched the two middle schools in my area that feed into the high school play. The high school runs a shotgun power scheme - always at least a pulling guards or a tackle & guard pulling in a counter play. Very rarely does the high school run vertical shots unless it is being given to them. In the middle school game it was get the best athlete the ball and get to the outside. The kid wasn't learning how to run upside in A, B, or C gap. Zero guard pull - zero proper hand placement by linemen - standing straight up. These are habits that are learned and hard to break once a kid is 14-15 years old; unless you are a "freak" athlete and can use raw strength or athleticism to by pass this.

Also, JV programs tend to be overlooked. Once again with cuts in available coaching slots with pay and the actual pay of the positions most programs looks to volunteers to fill their staff and coach JV. Shoot, just south of us in SC they have (at the bigger schools) 9th grade team, JV team, and varsity team. Most of all (not all) of those positions are paid and typically the coach is in the building as a teacher. Here in NC you don't find that (there are only a couple I know about).

If people want NC to be a football state then it has to start from the bottom up not the top down. HC's at the high school must demand a system that starts in the middle schools and works up. Works with the coaches at the middle school level. Take them with them to clinics and coaching conventions. The older coaches have bought their time in the system and have every right to say they don't want to move back down because they learned to cut their teeth down there with hard work and learning. Todays younger coaches want a HC position by the time they are 30 and most don't want to go through the trenches teaching football and learning how the process to developing a culture and how a team is built. They learn to stick it out at school and work their way up from the bottom even when things aren't going so great. Even when their is a coaching change you see a good chunk of the staff sticking around. Kudos to Catholic, Crest, and Shelby if there is one thing I know from an outsiders perspective is there is Culture taught to those kids from the time they reach middle school till the time they graduate. That can't be said for most schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT