ADVERTISEMENT

Hough football coach uses racial slur

I will answer to the best of my ability from a open teaching perspective confessing that I am not the final word:

It speaks more to a cycle of violence A lot of kids in an oppressed situation were that word is used consistently by law enforcement and people of authority during perpetrated verbal and physical violence turn to the exact verbal and physical means that is perpetrated against them. It becomes the ultimate way to take and feel power that has been taken away from them. Actually this is a good conversation and the reason that this is so important for CMS to react because the kid that reported it at least had a release......the other kids that did not report and felt the same way in times of stress possibly will act out violently seeking that return to a power position. Now this is not in all circumstances but it speaks to the psychology...
To be fair Mr. 6242, I have never in person or from rumors ......heard any person of authority use the word. Has it happened...probably so and if it has then this is genuinely unprofessional and should not be tolerated. IMO it does not help society when still there are african american kids throwing and advertising the word all over Gods land to this day. Of course they cannot help but to repeat it since rapping idles today are using it in music.

I see it this way, Musicians will sing about a problem but in return they are not fixing the problem by continuously using the word of the problem. This will not fix the kids, society, the hood, and especially the world.

How do you fix four tires that had a nail in them, if the owner takes the nails out, inflate them, and the same owner injects nails back in, immediate after you thought the problem was solved?.......You wont get far because the problem continues

(Problem + Solution= Opportunity) - This racial slur battle still stands at the "problem" level.

I dont think we see the spanish culture going around to each other saying "What it do spic". "You down for tonight spic?"........this would tear up the latin culture

We live in a copy/cat world

Last edited:
S2V2! 1. Just a little FYI to help you out a little. 2. African Americans don't use it on other cultures and moments of violence. That's TV. What Hypocrisy? 3. Just don't say it, regardless what you think. 4.You can't assume because of a small portion of people that have made it a part of their culture that now it represents the entire race. That's stereotyping. 5. There is no double standard.
1. How are you helping me?
2. Come on nepsy7 honesty is everything
3. When you speak the words "just dont say it" who are you primarily speaking of?
4. I never said it was ok for an entire race to say it
5. According to who?

1. How are you helping me?
2. Come on nepsy7 honesty is everything
3. When you speak the words "just dont say it" who are you primarily speaking of?
4. I never said it was ok for an entire race to say it
5. According to who?

Come on man! Your words

.IMO this double standard has become a pitiful example of hypocrisy in society. If another culture uses the word, they are immediately scorned for such action, it is labeled as inappropriate and that same person or group of people are quickly labeled as a racist.

Just my opinion and my interpretation of your above post. Because some African Americans use the word, you believe it's hypocritical when they call out other races or a double standard as you call it. Never said anything about you suggesting an entire races saying it was ok. My point was and how I'm helping you, it's not used as much as you believe, It's frowned upon throughout the African American community, so don't stereotype and believe that because of your environment and understanding of how often it is used, that it has now become a double standard based on your world. Which is very small when you're speaking of an entire race. So there is no double standard.

Reactions: UNCGrad2014
Come on man! Your words

.IMO this double standard has become a pitiful example of hypocrisy in society. If another culture uses the word, they are immediately scorned for such action, it is labeled as inappropriate and that same person or group of people are quickly labeled as a racist.

Just my opinion and my interpretation of your above post. Because some African Americans use the word, you believe it's hypocritical when they call out other races or a double standard as you call it. Never said anything about you suggesting an entire races saying it was ok. My point was and how I'm helping you, it's not used as much as you believe, It's frowned upon throughout the African American community, so don't stereotype and believe that because of your environment and understanding of how often it is used, that it has now become a double standard based on your world. Which is very small when you're speaking of an entire race. So there is no double standard.
Ok Nepsy7 so if the word is so offensive to the african american arena, then why does the african american arena still use it? Frowning on other people who listen and sing along to songs with the word insinuates that it is only OK for african americans to say the word furthering the hypocrisy surrounding the problem. By african american musicians making music with the word it becomes an "open season" for other cultures to sing along without it being meant as any insult.........what are they suppose to do on those part of the lyrics......MUTE?

IT DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM

If there are four african american kids and one hispanic kid sitting around the table, they are all served with a bowl of gummy bears except the hispanic kid

Are the african american kids the only ones that can eat?.......(that hispanic kid is going to go get some of that). As long as you keep feeding them they will eat or will find a way to eat. The outsider will never starve

You know what this world needs - Some T.D. Jakes - My all time favorite

Last edited:
Ok Nepsy7 so if the word is so offensive to the african american arena, then why does the african american arena still use it? Frowning on other people who listen and sing along to songs with the word insinuates that it is only OK for african americans to say the word furthering the hypocrisy surrounding the problem. By african american musicians making music with the word it becomes an "open season" for other cultures to sing along without it being meant as any insult.........what are they suppose to do on those part of the lyrics......MUTE?

IT DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM

If there are four african american kids and one hispanic kid sitting around the table, they are all served with a bowl of gummy bears except the hispanic kid

Are the african american kids the only ones that can eat?.......(that hispanic kid is going to go get some of that). As long as you keep feeding them they will eat or will find a way to eat. The outsider will never starve

You know what this world needs - Some T.D. Jakes - My all time favorite

The African American community does not use it, as often as you believe. I don't listen to rap and neither does every African American that you speak of. I'm a Jazz enthusiast. You're stereotyping. That must be your arena, you evidentially don't get out often and only listen to rap. You're using one form of art, and associating the entire race. You're in a box and can't get out. So you believe because rappers use it, that they represent the entire race? NO THEY DON'T.

You know it's offensive and your argument is extremely weak and has no substance. Just like I don't believe all guys from Mexico likes doing yard work. You shouldn't believe that it's excepted within the African American Community or Arena as you call it, because a group of rappers use it in their lyrics.

Your best friend who you said was African American should have made you aware. That we come from different cultures within our culture and you cannot put us in a box, and stereotype the entire race.

Last edited:
You know it's offensive and your argument is extremely weak and has no substance.
When you use this in the same sentence seems as if I drained you. I know your moves Nepsy7......You know I can funnel you where I want you to go in a conversation...

Regardless of our race, I surely argue that we should do better at policing ourselves with that word if we really want to change what so many people complain about.

When you use this in the same sentence seems as if I drained you. I know your moves Nepsy7......You know I can funnel you where I want you to go in a conversation...

Regardless of our race, I surely argue that we should do better at policing ourselves with that word if we really want to change what so many people complain about.

What the hell are you talking about? There are no moves or funnels, just facts. Stop stereotyping and pretending like rappers represent an entire race to make your argument. Period! I'm done here.

Some issues are nuanced and complicated. Some issues become nuanced and complicated because people make them that way. This one is pretty straight forward. Guy shouldn't have used that word. If people want to make the argument that its acceptable because Kanye and Dre use it knock yourself out but here is the deal. Kanye and Dre aren't educators at Hough high school and they don't work for CMS.

I am a white guy who grew up in a home where the word was used all the time and not in a good way. Another day and another time and as I grew older and moved on in my life I grew to understand the repercussions of words. While far from perfect the generation that I was responsible for raising never heard his parents use that word and I am reasonably sure he has never spoke it...…..Progress.

However, progress doesn't get measured by the fact that the word doesn't get uttered in a diverse setting. That's just common sense. True progress is measured by the fact that the word isn't spoken when the company is not diverse.

Its not ok for anyone to use the word but its unacceptable for him to use it in a so called " teaching moment". He doesn't have to lose his job for it but surely more than " No comment" is required here. That's just common sense as well.

Guys the coach was not quoting someone else to pump up his team. The team had a meeting about social media profiles and were talking about how the players being recruited needed to clean up some of their social media accounts because college coaches read through them. He then began to quote some posts that college coaches have told them that they really hate seeing from their recruits.

A number of the quotes given to him had the slur in them. Several kids on the team had posted or liked or favorited posts with this word in them on their twitter. He felt it was important to mention a sample post with the word in it as one of the examples that coaches look at negatively. He quoted the post verbatim.

Was it a mistake and a poor choice to do what he did when trying to teach the kids something important? Hell yes it was. But he was not trying to be malicious with his use of the word and he has since apologized. There was a meeting at the school about what happened on Thursday. Everyone left the meeting feeling better about the situation than they did going into it.

Just passing along some actual facts that I heard about the situation. Please continue the conversation. It is an important one.

Guys the coach was not quoting someone else to pump up his team. The team had a meeting about social media profiles and were talking about how the players being recruited needed to clean up some of their social media accounts because college coaches read through them. He then began to quote some posts that college coaches have told them that they really hate seeing from their recruits.

A number of the quotes given to him had the slur in them. Several kids on the team had posted or liked or favorited posts with this word in them on their twitter. He felt it was important to mention a sample post with the word in it as one of the examples that coaches look at negatively. He quoted the post verbatim.

Was it a mistake and a poor choice to do what he did when trying to teach the kids something important? Hell yes it was. But he was not trying to be malicious with his use of the word and he has since apologized. There was a meeting at the school about what happened on Thursday. Everyone left the meeting feeling better about the situation than they did going into it.

Just passing along some actual facts that I heard about the situation. Please continue the conversation. It is an important one.

Who felt better? The Coach? I guarantee you the kid or kids who heard it did not feel better. They will definitely see him in a different light no matter what they try to narrate. The only way you even try to salvage this situation is to not trivialize by meeting and getting lip service. CMS has a zero tolerance policy for bullying or actions and words based on ethnic or religious preference it is read before every game. Enforce the policy.

Who felt better? The Coach? I guarantee you the kid or kids who heard it did not feel better. They will definitely see him in a different light no matter what they try to narrate. The only way you even try to salvage this situation is to not trivialize by meeting and getting lip service. CMS has a zero tolerance policy for bullying or actions and words based on ethnic or religious preference it is read before every game. Enforce the policy.
Did you read my entire post? I am not going to sit here and argue with you. I was just trying to give the facts on the situation based on what I was told. I do not make decisions on who gets in trouble etc. I have no dog in this fight whatsoever other than I happened to have info as to what ACTUALLY happened so I thought I would share it. As I said personally I thought he made a mistake. Should he be punished? Not up to me. But it seems CMS has already made their decision based on all of the information that they have which i am sure is far more info than you will find on this board even after I posted what I knew. LIke I said carry on the conversation. It is an important one. A lot can be learned from this.

As to who felt better man, i mean I said everyone that attended the meeting, who that actually was is beyond me. I would assume the whole team and parents would be there but I do not know if they all showed up or not. Maybe some people understood what he was trying to do and were willing to look past his mistake?

That is up to them. It is not up to you or me. Maybe the boys and the parents actually understood where he was coming from (other than the one parent who went to the news)? LIke I said i do not have all the answers. Just thought i would pass on what I heard. Sorry it was not what you wanted to hear.....

Yes that is CMS policy and in their statement they said that the word was used in a "teaching moment" and was not used at or toward any of the students. So I guess they did not this this fell under the zero tolerance clause you mentioned. Once again. Not up to me. Not up to you. Up to CMS.

What the hell are you talking about? There are no moves or funnels, just facts. Stop stereotyping and pretending like rappers represent an entire race to make your argument. Period! I'm done here.
If you dont change your attitude, you will miss your altitude...Change your Garments

Once again I posted the video as a teaching moment. You can internalize and give your opinion but the reality is exactly what was stated. I choose not to use the word and as most of these young men as they mature will do the same but while they are exercising there cultural right to use it as a term of endearment it does not make it ok for white people to feel entitled to use it full well knowing the ramifications of its use by them. A grown white man in a position of leadership in a school charged with leading a diverse group of athletes should know the impact of its use by himself period.

Can't make a word originated from hate a term of endearment. Tell me who and where it was legitimately decided that word should mean anything other than it's intended meaning?

If our community can decide on a whim as ignorant as that argument is to make it a term of endearment then why can't this coach do the same and if you make his skin color a disqualification for doing so then you've made my argument for just how hypocritical and pathetic the argument for our community to continue to justify it's use and deny others the right.

Again there can't be a more asinine argument on earth than the Nword and the justification of it's use by our community.

Reactions: Greengold_4ever
Yes that is CMS policy and in their statement they said that the word was used in a "teaching moment" and was not used at or toward any of the students. So I guess they did not this this fell under the zero tolerance clause you mentioned. Once again. Not up to me. Not up to you. Up to CMS.

So deragotry terms can be used as long as it is a teaching moment. Once again “tone deaf” ....what is up to me is my understanding of the impact of that and other words to Black kids. This is really a hopeless conversation and is the reason there is no progress and these STUPID instances keep happening because seeking to understand is not the objective.

As to who felt better man, i mean I said everyone that attended the meeting, who that actually was is beyond me. I would assume the whole team and parents would be there but I do not know if they all showed up or not. Maybe some people understood what he was trying to do and were willing to look past his mistake?

That is up to them. It is not up to you or me. Maybe the boys and the parents actually understood where he was coming from (other than the one parent who went to the news)? LIke I said i do not have all the answers. Just thought i would pass on what I heard. Sorry it was not what you wanted to hear.....

So that feeling of resolution was based on what a few smiles and salutations by like minded individuals marginalizing the situation. Ok yeah right.

Coach should be fired on the spot. No and if's about it, point blank. He is a paid employee, in charge of the youth. If he used such pour judgement on this, imagine what kind of poor judgment he uses on the daily. I learned as a kid in the 60s and 70s as an African American this word should and will never come out of my mouth. My two grown sons will never use this word or will my four grandkids. If my son or grandson played for this coach, we would have some choice words after practice.

Reactions: Champ_24
So deragotry terms can be used as long as it is a teaching moment. Once again “tone deaf” ....what is up to me is my understanding of the impact of that and other words to Black kids. This is really a hopeless conversation and is the reason there is no progress and these STUPID instances keep happening because seeking to understand is not the objective.

Totally get it and like I said I think you are right about your feelings. I have only given the facts as I know them regarding the incident, what happened after on the school end, and what CMS decided to do. The only reason this conversation is hopeless is because it is taking place on a message board from people who were not there when the incident happened. If enough people involved in the situation took their concerns to the right people maybe more would come of it. As it stands 1 parent out of 50 or so kids was still upset after the apology. Or at least that is what you would have to believe since he is the only one that has reached out to tell the story. Not sure why people on here are attacking each other. Seems kind of pointless.

This reminds me of the white girl who was pulled on stage to sing with the rapper AND HIS LYRICS have the N word in them and when she sang the correct lyrics with him all hell broke loose. Those were the rappers words, not hers, yet she gets vilified. That word has ALWAYS been offense. Being black doesn’t give you the right to say it. The coach could have stayed silent and just showed them the tweet and said “never tweet or say something like this on social media” or just said N word instead. His intentions were good BUT his delivery was bad. He apologized so it’s time to move on.

I find it helpful to hear different perspectives here. I feel it is clear that using the word is offensive and that some feel it is a 10 and some feel it is a 6 if scaled. Everyone wants others to see and hear their perspective and that's good but others aren't willing to do the same. tdl6242 you have twisted what kuttpack2010 posted and are trying to turn his post into something that it isn't. That is very frustrating to say the least.You use the word hopeless yet your reaction is what makes it hopeless.

Reactions: Swo_05
So that feeling of resolution was based on what a few smiles and salutations by like minded individuals marginalizing the situation. Ok yeah right.

No. I think the feeling of resolution came because they had a meeting with the team and parents and admin and they explained the situation exactly as it went down. Everyone was honest with each other. And from what I was told everything was resolved at the meeting. I do not think that HS athletes, HS coaches, HS admin, and parents are all "like minded" individuals. I am sure there were lots of different opinions in the room. All I said was that from what I heard everyone felt better about things after they were able to meet and discuss the incident. Not sure what you thought I said.

This reminds me of the white girl who was pulled on stage to sing with the rapper AND HIS LYRICS have the N word in them and when she sang the correct lyrics with him all hell broke loose. Those were the rappers words, not hers, yet she gets vilified. That word has ALWAYS been offense. Being black doesn’t give you the right to say it. The coach could have stayed silent and just showed them the tweet and said “never tweet or say something like this on social media” or just said N word instead. His intentions were good BUT his delivery was bad. He apologized so it’s time to move on.
I might be wrong but you might possibly be speaking of the Virginia Tech women’s lacrosse team singing along to the song Freaky Friday by the music artist Lil Dicky featuring Chris Brown, which uses the word in the lyrics.

T
I find it helpful to hear different perspectives here. I feel it is clear that using the word is offensive and that some feel it is a 10 and some feel it is a 6 if scaled. Everyone wants others to see and hear their perspective and that's good but others aren't willing to do the same. tdl6242 you have twisted what kuttpack2010 posted and are trying to turn his post into something that it isn't. That is very frustrating to say the least.You use the word hopeless yet your reaction is what makes it hopeless.

Every word I stated is coming from a position of experience and first hand knowledge throughout my life and raising two young men who experience although not at the level I did a host of situations with the main tenant being race. My reaction is in the eye of the receiver if you are offended by my words what does that say about your ability to receive what I’m saying. Don’t think I ever said hopeless......once again things only change when someone gets uncomfortable. The problem is people of color have to develop the skill of being comfortable being uncomfortable. The moment they push the discomfort back there position is marginalized or the narrative is changed . My post are purely to make you think and give factual information whether it’s received is on you.

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
I might be wrong but you might possibly be speaking of the Virginia Tech women’s lacrosse team singing along to the song Freaky Friday by the music artist Lil Dicky featuring Chris Brown, which uses the word in the lyrics.
No..it was a concert and he pulled her on stage after he picked her out out of the crowd for singing the words and loving his music. I think she was into the song so deep and didnt consider the words impact being recited by her.
Lil Dicky is a music artist?? As a white person I get offended when someone uses the expression “lil dicky” :)

Best way to put it is keep the word out your mouth. I've seen a few get punched in the mouth over it. I'd hate to see someone take an asswhoopin before they finally get it.

Very true statement. Have seen it many times in my life as well

Think they are overeacting. Those LKN students were just trying to provide a " teaching moment" for the Creek players. Besides...those words are used in rap music all the time.

Stay classy LKN.

Sadly it does not surprise me.......so anyone have any bright ideas how I should react to this one?. Do you think a meeting were everyone hugs it out will change the damage to these kids. Wake up....

Sadly it does not surprise me.......so anyone have any bright ideas how I should react to this one?. Do you think a meeting were everyone hugs it out will change the damage to these kids. Wake up....

Open forum in Mooresville and a vote amongst the LKN parents. I am good with what they decide. We should make sure everyone is " comfortable".

T

Every word I stated is coming from a position of experience and first hand knowledge throughout my life and raising two young men who experience although not at the level I did a host of situations with the main tenant being race. My reaction is in the eye of the receiver if you are offended by my words what does that say about your ability to receive what I’m saying. Don’t think I ever said hopeless......once again things only change when someone gets uncomfortable. The problem is people of color have to develop the skill of being comfortable being uncomfortable. The moment they push the discomfort back there position is marginalized or the narrative is changed . My post are purely to make you think and give factual information whether it’s received is on you.
I have no problem with your view or your feelings. I only stated I feel you were taking someone else’s comment out of perspective. I stated it is frustrating, which it is. Also you did use the word hopeless. I sense a lot of frustration in your posts and I’m sorry that your experiences have lead you there, I truly am. Change doesn’t come from being uncomfortable, it only comes when behavior changes.

I have no problem with your view or your feelings. I only stated I feel you were taking someone else’s comment out of perspective. I stated it is frustrating, which it is. Also you did use the word hopeless. I sense a lot of frustration in your posts and I’m sorry that your experiences have lead you there, I truly am. Change doesn’t come from being uncomfortable, it only comes when behavior changes.

Yeah but the behavior only changes with uncomfort. We see it through history and we are witnessing it in real time.

You have to shake the tree.

Behavior changes when you buck against the establishment. Changes have come in this country ONLY when people have been uncomfortable.

That’s not always true. I know people who have been uncomfortable with aspects of their lives for 20,30,40 years and they haven’t changed their behavior. I have always felt that education and understanding of things is the most effective way to warrant true change. If someone truly wants to change and truly sees the benefits they will have a better chance to change and the change will last.

I've personally have learned a lot through out life. So much of life is out of our control. I have also learned one can only focus on what they have control over. Themselves. And if things must change, first they must change. Most people want everyone else to change but themselves. It is much easier to change yourself than everyone else. We live in a copy/cat world and a world where individuals must make their own smart decisions if they want change. It all begins at home, then the parents, then decisions, then society, then the world. Usually life is already corrupt at home because you have uneducated parents raising their own children to be on a uneducated level. And the cycle continues as long as society continues to accept it.

You become who you hang around. You are either ignorant or a professional. Nothing in between.

That’s not always true. I know people who have been uncomfortable with aspects of their lives for 20,30,40 years and they haven’t changed their behavior. I have always felt that education and understanding of things is the most effective way to warrant true change. If someone truly wants to change and truly sees the benefits they will have a better chance to change and the change will last.
That sounds great, but is that how slaves were freed? Is that how women gained suffrage? Is that how blacks could sit in the front of the bus?

No. It’s was by bucking the system that’s systematically created to keep minorities down.

I hear what you’re saying, just agree to disagree.

Reactions: Swo_05 and Champ_24
If he does not see the field Hough will have a bigger problem than this situation. Retaliation is nothing to play with specifically around these situations in CMS.

He probably was already not seeing the field. In my experiences, they are the one's that goes home and tell what happens in the locker room. Now granted this should not have been said not by him nor a minority coach. No place for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT