ADVERTISEMENT

Hough football coach uses racial slur

Sounds like his intent, if this story is accurate, was to teach his kids not to use that racially offensive word and in the process quoted the racially offensive word. In essence Jenkins experienced his own teachable moment. The best thing to do is not give that word or the users of that word any attention. Hopefully he will find better techniques to fight racism.

Reactions: Swo_05
Sounds like his intent, if this story is accurate, was to teach his kids not to use that racially offensive word and in the process quoted the racially offensive word. In essence Jenkins experienced his own teachable moment. The best thing to do is not give that word or the users of that word any attention. Hopefully he will find better techniques to fight racism.
Let ur minority coaches Express this...trust me those kids will not look at him the same after this.

Let ur minority coaches Express this...trust me those kids will not look at him the same after this.
Those kids look at him the same now as they did before, there wasn't a word about it going around the school the next day. Nothing changed, they understood the intent but were able to realize maybe it wasn't the best way to go about it.

Reactions: The Lake Man
Those kids look at him the same now as they did before, there wasn't a word about it going around the school the next day. Nothing changed, they understood the intent but were able to realize maybe it wasn't the best way to go about it.

Exactly. It was a teachable moment for everyone. I applaud all efforts to combat racism. Jenkins probably understands better now that his quoting (and not “using”) the racial epithet was not the most effective way.

Reactions: rd598

I have no idea but clearly there was at least one kid who had an issue as he went home and told dad and dad contacted the school and the media.

Reactions: Swo_05 and rd598
Just because they don’t say anything doesn’t mean that that moment didn’t change the way they look at him now.

Reactions: Champ_24
That’s inexcusauble. And the fact that CMS won’t reprimand this man at all speaks volumes. Bad look for the district and Jenkins should be ashamed of himself. How in the hell are you a leader of young men and feel comfortable enough to say the N-word in their faces? I’m looking at the administration now. What will you all do about this? At least a one game suspension. Goodness gracious.

Reactions: luv of d game
It’s always very “Tone Deaf” of people to say what another person is thinking when a situation of racism or harassment occurs. Just stop it. As stated before at least one kid felt it was out of line and believe me there are a few more who did not but internalized it. That is weak as a HC to even use social media to try and motivate his team. He was not teaching anything. Odd things come out of this program all the time this is just a long line of those things. Smh

If he does not see the field Hough will have a bigger problem than this situation. Retaliation is nothing to play with specifically around these situations in CMS.

Amen. Any coach who would retaliate in this situation should never find the field again.

UNC grad take notice of the words you use as you criticize others
Nothing I said was offensive at all, and I choose my words very carefully, more than what I can say about this entire situation. I meant every word that I said. Your misguided advice is not required.

When you work with youth, you have to be held accountable for what you say. For there to be no type of reprimand for a public employee for what was said is an absolute joke.

Last edited:
I am sure that CMS and Hough would like this to just go away but I am not so sure we have seen the last of this. These things can take on a life of their own and in the end it is almost always the reaction to the situation more that the actual transgression that draws the fire.

I have zero idea what the purpose of the " learning moment " was but I think a decision of zero consequence may have been a mistake. Feels like nobody took this very seriously . That may turn out to have been a very poor decision.

I am sure that CMS and Hough would like this to just go away but I am not so sure we have seen the last of this. These things can take on a life of their own and in the end it is almost always the reaction to the situation more that the actual transgression that draws the fire.

I have zero idea what the purpose of the " learning moment " was but I think a decision of zero consequence may have been a mistake. Feels like nobody took this very seriously . That may turn out to have been a very poor decision.

That’s all I’m saying. Exactly.

A Four Star General in the Army once called me Mexican(one of them "can" dudes), but i'm Panamanian(one of them "an" dudes), and I took offense cause he made me feel like Diego instead of Roberto Duran(Hands of Stone). So I turnt him in - into the White House that is. The rest of the story you ask. Well God knows all about it.......:(

giphy.gif

There is no excuse for this. Sure there were better ways to teach a lesson. He has to accept the consequences and repercussions of his actions. The school and CMS should take swift and immediate action.

who in the wide world of sports is using racial slurs on social media?

Also, when did the coach read out the tweet to the team? Was it after the game when he was addressing the team?

I don't understand the out rage here. I could understand if he called someone this but quoting someone else? Let's be honest most every player on that teams say that word or listen to songs with that word.

I don't understand the out rage here. I could understand if he called someone this but quoting someone else? Let's be honest most every player on that teams say that word or listen to songs with that word.

Take a listen to Ice Cube after Bill Maher got a little to familiar and used the word. This is a “teaching moment” if you choose to receive it.

Reactions: nepsy7

I am outraged by the stupidity. The word is toxic and a white coach doesnt get to use it. Especially in front of a group of black kids. It doesnt matter how many times the kids have heard it or how many times he has heard the word come from their mouths. The fact that this guy didnt understand that should immediatley draw into question his decision making skills.

I guarentee the second that word came out of his mouth regardless of the context those kids cringed and immediatley felt uncomfortable. They may have dismissed it quickly as they are kids and move through things but they will look at him differently going forward.

No one should be using the term at all. It's always been hypocritical to suggest we get to use the word because of our ethnicity and others using it is toxic.

He's no more or less a leader than our black coaches who use the same word. I've always thought it ignorant we continue to justify the use and ready at the drop of a dime to confront other ethnic groups who use this negative word freely.

The negative power of this word will live as long as futile attempts at justifying its use come from those same mouths who scream off with someones head uses it while endearing themselves to the use themselves.

You want others to stop using the word because it's hurtful, insensitive and racist then it must be that way to those of you who justify its "exclusive" use by those that look like you.

Do as I say not as I do has never been effective for anything. Justification of this word has to be the most ignorant argument known to man.

I personally enjoy looking at myself in the mirror. I look for last minute boogers, eye poop, ear wax, eyebrow perfection, clean gums, and hair did. But I believe the mirror was playing defense with me cause everyone to include Raider Junkie told me I look like Bruno Marz and never once has that been a reflection with the man in the mirror. I have been out raged for the longest of time and maybe those are signs that I should no longer look for Bruno Marz. Its my fault thought because I was the one who chose the teaching moment.

One winter day my Mama and Dadda sat me down with a cold pop, cheeze samish, Lipton Soup and told me not to ever never ever call someone Diego as a source of my everyday sentence ending word if in return I dont want them to use it on me. I know in the hood of L.A. they Mexican boys bees calling everyone Diego

Maaaaaaannnn there wus one caucasian dude that had just moved in the mexican hood of L.A. and he said to his new friend one day as they were standing around wit a bunch of friends "yo Diego. whats good Diego?". Those Mexicans took their knee-high sock off, put a lock inside, and started spinning it like a helicopter.

My Mama and Dadda wus correct, Mexican people want to use Diego on everyone and anyone cause they like to show their Macho breed, but they get all routy routy and delusional when it is used on them by an outside culture

I said "Mama since it causes problems why dont our culture just stop and not use Diego anymore". Mama said "son some kids are not raised correctly. It starts at home". "Even some parents never grow up either". "you just mind your own business and go about the way we led you son"

The Mexican Debo
danny-trejo.jpg

Last edited:
No one should be using the term at all. It's always been hypocritical to suggest we get to use the word because of our ethnicity and others using it is toxic.

He's no more or less a leader than our black coaches who use the same word. I've always thought it ignorant we continue to justify the use and ready at the drop of a dime to confront other ethnic groups who use this negative word freely.

The negative power of this word will live as long as futile attempts at justifying its use come from those same mouths who scream off with someones head uses it while endearing themselves to the use themselves.

You want others to stop using the word because it's hurtful, insensitive and racist then it must be that way to those of you who justify its "exclusive" use by those that look like you.

Do as I say not as I do has never been effective for anything. Justification of this word has to be the most ignorant argument known to man.

Once again I posted the video as a teaching moment. You can internalize and give your opinion but the reality is exactly what was stated. I choose not to use the word and as most of these young men as they mature will do the same but while they are exercising there cultural right to use it as a term of endearment it does not make it ok for white people to feel entitled to use it full well knowing the ramifications of its use by them. A grown white man in a position of leadership in a school charged with leading a diverse group of athletes should know the impact of its use by himself period.

I am outraged by the stupidity. The word is toxic and a white coach doesnt get to use it. Especially in front of a group of black kids. It doesnt matter how many times the kids have heard it or how many times he has heard the word come from their mouths. The fact that this guy didnt understand that should immediatley draw into question his decision making skills.

I guarentee the second that word came out of his mouth regardless of the context those kids cringed and immediatley felt uncomfortable. They may have dismissed it quickly as they are kids and move through things but they will look at him differently going forward.

The word should NOT be used period.

Exactly!
I grew up around all cultures in Florida and specially African Americans. What I have never understood is why do African Americans use the word on other cultures?

So when you were growing up around "all cultures" how is it you do not know this answer? The fact that you asked this question underscores the lack of education and understanding of Urban Culture. Let me make this clear i wish as well that the word is not used but there are nuances to its use good, bad or indifferent that apply. The information is available but courses in Urban Studies and Culture are not mandated like the classic American Studies/History attached to a HS graduation requirement. I know a bit to deep and philosophical but true...

Reactions: Swo_05 and S2V2
So when you were growing up around "all cultures" how is it you do not know this answer? The fact that you asked this question underscores the lack of education and understanding of Urban Culture. Let me make this clear i wish as well that the word is not used but there are nuances to its use good, bad or indifferent that apply. The information is available but courses in Urban Studies and Culture are not mandated like the classic American Studies/History attached to a HS graduation requirement. I know a bit to deep and philosophical but true...
ROGER 6242 - I COPY
Sir first off I respect your essay above. I myself do not like the word. Growing up around this long outdrawn battle I had not, have not, and never will use the word for any gain, show, or argument, but to answer your question - I am very much educated of the Urban Culture you speak of. My goal instead is to hear the noise from sources voicing the noice.

As of yesterday, today, tomorrow, and depending on its context, the word can be used as either friendly or derogatory. The use of the word has been known as friendly when used by the African American community and derogatory when used by other cultures.

IMO this double standard has become a pitiful example of hypocrisy in society. If another culture uses the word, they are immediately scorned for such action, it is labeled as inappropriate and that same person or group of people are quickly labeled as a racist. While I agree Mr. 6242 that the use of the word can be offensive and inappropriate, I find it highly important to consider the way in which the word is used by different folks.

I am not a fan of Trump-like or Kavanagh-like people refusing or dodging questions so as I resurface my question, could you take a moment to expand on my question Mr. 6242.....

Why do African Americans use the word on other cultures, especially in moments of violence?

S2V2 OUT COPY OVER

I grew up in the south and did use that word some in my youth when it was a different culture. We mostly used it at school and in slang and not to be hurtful, and mostly around my black friends. I never heard my parents use the word, I first heard it from my black friends and music. As I matured I gained a better understanding of how hurtful the word could be and stop using it and still do not use it today. My children have never heard it from me or my wife. I feel the word is divisive. If it is bad don't use it, it will go away. It is divisive because some can use it and others can't. That is not my rule or my opinion, that is fact. This is what makes it racial. We can't draw racial lines and then expect it to vanish.
This coach at Hough made a mistake, just like quoting the F bomb would be inappropriate so is this. I do not feel his poor choice of words was to cause malice or pain. For me personally, had he repeated a comment about my race or religion I would not want anything more than an explanation and an apology.

ROGER 6242 - I COPY
Sir first off I respect your essay above. I myself do not like the word. Growing up around this long outdrawn battle I had not, have not, and never will use the word for any gain, show, or argument, but to answer your question - I am very much educated of the Urban Culture you speak of. My goal instead is to hear the noise from sources voicing the noice.

As of yesterday, today, tomorrow, and depending on its context, the word can be used as either friendly or derogatory. The use of the word has been known as friendly when used by the African American community and derogatory when used by other cultures.

IMO this double standard has become a pitiful example of hypocrisy in society. If another culture uses the word, they are immediately scorned for such action, it is labeled as inappropriate and that same person or group of people are quickly labeled as a racist. While I agree Mr. 6242 that the use of the word can be offensive and inappropriate, I find it highly important to consider the way in which the word is used by different folks.

I am not a fan of Trump-like or Kavanagh-like people refusing or dodging questions so as I resurface my question, could you take a moment to expand on my question Mr. 6242.....

Why do African Americans use the word on other cultures, especially in moments of violence?

S2V2 OUT COPY OVER
What are you talking about other cultures and violence. Let me give you a lil history the proliferation of this word post civil rights was mainly due to the rap culture. My father who was a child of the 60's and was a part of the sit-ins while he was at NC A & T. He told me that the word was rarely used by blacks in his circle because it was a hateful word and it was not a term of endearment for AA back then.

The rap culture made this word acceptable on a global scale where any and everybody thought they could use it. I have two kids one is a 9th grader and one is a 7th grader and we have talked to them about the use of this word and how it has evolved where it is common place among many AA youth and even adults. I often pick my son up after football practice and his teammates (not all) use it. When I hear them say it I pull them aside and try to talk to them about the history and how it is unacceptable. I can tell you this if a white coach or any coach used that word in front of a team he should be sent to the house for good. Now as far as white folks using the word - use at your own peril because you are treading in an area where you should not go. If Eminem doesn't us the word (at least not in his lyrics) and he is the blackest white guy we all know and is accepted in the AA community! I know damn well a white football coach in the south shouldn't use it. That is just stupid and he should have known that. Yes his kids will look at him differently because that relationship is not one of equals or peers. S2V you seem like a pretty bright guy even though you say some stupid sh## sometimes take it from me this is an area that most folks that are not black will never understand!

Last edited:
ROGER 6242 - I COPY

S2V2 OUT COPY OVER

I will answer to the best of my ability from a open teaching perspective confessing that I am not the final word:

It speaks more to a cycle of violence A lot of kids in an oppressed situation were that word is used consistently by law enforcement and people of authority during perpetrated verbal and physical violence turn to the exact verbal and physical means that is perpetrated against them. It becomes the ultimate way to take and feel power that has been taken away from them. Actually this is a good conversation and the reason that this is so important for CMS to react because the kid that reported it at least had a release......the other kids that did not report and felt the same way in times of stress possibly will act out violently seeking that return to a power position. Now this is not in all circumstances but it speaks to the psychology...

S2V2! Just a little FYI to help you out a little. African Americans don't use it on other cultures and moments of violence. That's TV. What Hypocrisy? Just don't say it, regardless what you think. You can't assume because of a small portion of people that have made it a part of their culture that now it represents the entire race. That's stereotyping.There is no double standard.

What are you talking about other cultures and violence. Let me give you a lil history the proliferation of this word post civil rights was mainly due to the rap culture. My father who was a child of the 60's and was a part of the sit-ins while he was at NC A & T. He told me that the word was rarely used by blacks in his circle because it was a hateful word and it was not a term of endearment for AA back then.

The rap culture made this word acceptable on a global scale where any and everybody thought they could use it. I have two kids one is a 9th grader and one is a 7th grader and we have talked to them about the use of this word and how it has evolved where it is common place among many AA youth and even adults. I often pick my son up after football practice and his teammates (not all) use it. When I hear them say it I pull them aside and try to talk to them about the history and how it is unacceptable. I can tell you this if a white coach or any coach used that word in front of a team he should be sent to the house for good. Now as far as white folks using the word - use at your own peril because you are treading in an area where you should not go. If Eminem doesn't us the word (at least not in his lyrics) and he is the blackest white guy we all know and is accepted in the AA community! I know damn well a white football coach in the south shouldn't use it. That is just stupid and he should have known that. Yes his kids will look at him differently because that relationship is not one of equals or peers. S2V you seem like a pretty bright guy even though you say some stupid sh## sometimes take it from me this is an area that most folks that are not black will never understand!
Yes sir
I am a very qualified intelligent person and NOT just sometimes but all the time - I can say the most stupid Shizzle on purpose. Sometimes I seem to feel like a Master of Persuasion.

No one but no one not even my father, my mother, nor extended family had to show me or sit me down to explain how much of a NO NO that word is. It is by far UGLY. Truly I am sickened when kids today use it after every other word. I learned that it was a wrong choice of word just by my observation of society.

You are correct the word is highly used in today’s , predominantly, by the black community and african american rappers. Initially, this was in an attempt to desensitize the derogatory interpretation behind the word. Because of this the word has now become allowed in culture to some in the African American family. The ritual of this word in pop culture has led to other cultures also saying the word, which in return has resulted in backlash from the african american arena with a view that other cultures should not say the word.

Let me be clear......the word is undoubtedly, offensive. So yes you’re right the word is certainly a racist slur. Yet extraordinarily, it looks like the word is now the property of african american rappers.

By the way my best friend is African American

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT