ADVERTISEMENT

Honda's 4A/4AA State Championship Predictions

mrhonda

Nov 12, 2012
4A

Scotland vs East Forsyth

Scotland

Scotland comes into this game looking for their first state title since 2011. They have a record of 9-5 and finished tied for third in the Sandhills Athletic conference. They began the season with a 47-19 loss to Butler and started 4-4 in their first eight games. But, the Fighting Scots have won six of their last seven games. This includes a 28-0 win over 71st last week in the playoffs, after losing to them 21-6 earlier in the season.

They are averaging 22ppg and allowing 19.64ppg. During the playoffs they are scoring 22ppg and allowing 13ppg.

They are led in rushing by running back Syheam McQueen, a 6 1 215lb sophomore. He's carried the ball 228 times through 11 games for 1,254 yards and 12 touchdowns.

They also have 5 8, 190lb senior Joseph McKoy. Through 14 games he's carried the ball 155 times for 1,018 yards and 9 touchdowns.

East Forsyth

After several years of futility in getting over the regional hump, East Forsyth crashed the door down this season with their 32-14 win last week over Porter Ridge. Coach Todd Willert is trying for his first state title at East Forsyth, after losing a heartbreaker to Mallard Creek in the 2015 West Regional Finals. East is coming in with a record of 14-0, finishing as champions of the Central Piedmont conference.

The Eagles are flying high, averaging 43.64ppg and allowing 12.21ppg. For the playoffs, they're averaging 38.33 ppg and giving up 9ppg. They average 253.7ypg rushing and 149.7ypg passing.

They are led by Quarterback Ty'Shaun Lyles, a 5 11 195lb sophomore. He's 105/189 passing for 2,085 yards, with 22 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. He has a rating of 122.1.

Rushing the football, the Eagles are led by 6 1 205lb running back, Ahmani Marshall. He's carried the ball 144 times for 1,097 yards and 20 touchdowns.

The Eagles also have 5 8, 175lb junior Robbin Smith. He's carried the ball 96 times for 625 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Prediction

At first glance, I'd have Scotland as an upset alert. I've picked against them in every playoff game and they have proved me wrong each time. But, in this game, I think East Forsyth has a little too much firepower for the Fighting Scots. Their time is coming again but not this year. The Eagles break through for a state title.

East Forsyth 38 Scotland 14

4AA

Vance vs Wake Forest

Vance

There's one guarantee in this game. A team named 'Cougars' will win the state title in 4AA. The Vance Cougars come into this game with a record of 14-1, having finished second in the rugged I-Meck conference to Mallard Creek. This is their first trip to the state finals after being knocked out during the West region finals the last two years. Vance averages 34.32ppg while allowing 9.6ppg. During the playoffs, they're averaging 34.75ppg while giving up 10.25ppg.

There were no individual statistics available.

Wake Forest

What do you say about the Wake Forest Cougars? They come into this game as the two-time defending state champions. Not only that, but they have shut out their opponent in the last two championship games. They defeated Page 29-0 in 2016 and Mallard Creek last season 21-0. This year, they are the champion of the Northern Athletic conference. They are on a 44 game winning streak, the third longest, active streak in the nation. They have won 76 of they're last 79 games. They are currently tied for 6th with Richmond Senior for consecutive wins. A win over Vance will push them up, tied for 5th with Ayden.

They're averaging 43.77ppg and allowing 8.92ppg. During the playoffs, they've averaged 48.33ppg while allowing 8ppg.

They're a run heavy team, but can pass. They have rushed for 270.5 yards per game and passed for 104.5 yards per game.

Wake Forest is led by quarterback Mateo Supido, a 6 1, 190lb senior. Through 13 games he's 31/54 for 708 yards. He's passed for 11 touchdowns and only 1 interception. His rating is 133.9.

Running the ball, the Cougars are led by Maquel Haywood. He's a 5 8, 170lb junior. He's carried the ball 129 times for 1,202 yards and 18 touchdowns.

Wake Forest also has DeMarcus Jones, a 5 11, 205lb senior running back. He's carried 161 times for 1,174 yards and 17 touchdowns.

They also have 5 11, 188lb, senior running back, Keishmund Rogers in the mix. He's rushed 67 times for 548 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Prediction

Vance will be one of the most physical teams Wake Forest has faced this season. With a big and physical defense and one of the best linebacker corps, Wake Forest may need a little more balance in this game to be successful. This game features two very good coaches in Aaron Brand of Vance and Reggie Lucas of Wake Forest. Both teams have very good defenses. Like they say, defense wins championships, but defense plus experience gives you a threepeat. Wake Forest gets the third one.

Wake Forest 20 Vance 17

Honda done went and jinxed us lol.

Really proud of those East Fo boys this year. I said earlier in the year that I expected this team to go far and at the beginning of the playoffs I expected this team to make it to the championship. I now expect for them to win it all. It's not going to be an easy game for sure, but I'm confident that the Eagles will pull out the win.

28-14 is my guess.

As far as Vance and Wake goes, I really hope the Cougars can pull this one off. I personally don't think its a big difference from the competition that they've played this year are far as talent goes. But it is a new team so anything can happen. My heart says Vance wins this one, but my brain says Wake is able to squeak one out.

14-7 Wake

Prove my brain wrong Vance.

Reactions: 704CougarsDad
Great job on the preview. Should be 2 very good games. I like EF in their game because of the ability to throw a little but Smiley is no joke and the Scots are a very athletic and physical team. Scots have championship experience in returning from last year. If Scots move the chains and control the clock plus put pressure on EF QB could be a different story.

Vance vs WF 2 power houses that have been in the mix for a long time now. Points will be at a premium in this game. Vance is led by their D but just as many teams have to adjust to the passing games of a lot of the Meck teams they will have the task of stopping the wing-t which they do not see a lot of. And WF runs it well. After watching the SC championship, DF got all they wanted against Hanna running the wing-t (game was closer than the score indicates). Championship experience and a difficult offense to prepare for i give the edge to WF. Schedule definitely favors Vance they are battled tested more so than anyone still playing.

Pulling for Vance cause i hate the wing-t

Reactions: Veejay4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT