scotswin

Sep 16, 2003
Laurinburg, NC
Probably not the matchup most predicted for round 3 but Hoggard
has been playing very good football as of late. Scotland been good
all year but seemingly hitting their stride right now. Can Hoggard
pull the shocker? Thoughts predictions? I"ll offer a quote from the
Scotland qb from the newspaper.

“The only thing I know about Hoggard is, in my sophomore year, we lost to them,” Scotland quarterback Sergio Gibson said. “We’re ready for them.

Hoggard is confident and healthy, they didn't have either earlier in the year. They're a dangerous club who will fight until they see 0 left on the clock in the 4th quarter.

Reactions: portcity FB
Should be a great game. I think the Scots tough defense and strong running game will equal a 42 to 21 win and send the Scots to the 4th Rd.

Hoggard had a better RB and O line and better run defense in 2014. This years team is better at QB and WR and the secondary is better.

Clinton punched us in the mouth and we never recovered. I think their confidence was shaken. They had a terrible 1st game of the season and then lost to Pine Forest and Carolina Forest because of special team mistakes. Our starting WRs were still out and it was windy and we just couldn't throw it. Hoggard had 250 rushing but couldn't finish drives and couldn't pick up first downs when they threw the ball. The big change actually came after the NH loss. Hoggard gave that game away and I noticed a major difference in their play the next week and they just started improving every week after that. Mostly on defense and special teams. Once the WRs returned the offense started clicking and became very balanced.

Last edited:
Reactions: sikner51
Hoggard seems hot right now. Wouldn't shock me at all to see this be a close game down to the end.

Hoggard seems hot right now. Wouldn't shock me at all to see this be a close game down to the end.
Anybody still playing is hot at this point! It's about field position, turnovers and players making plays - all the other stuff that has taken place in the past is just that the past! 8 teams left and they all believe that they can be one of the last two.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatholicCougs14
Hopeful thoughts but I don't think so.
Your game out west definitely has those possibilities.
I expect CC/EF to be a close one, but in terms of Hoggard/Scotland I think it'll just come down to can Hoggard stop Scotland's ground game, not sure they can honestly.

I expect CC/EF to be a close one, but in terms of Hoggard/Scotland I think it'll just come down to can Hoggard stop Scotland's ground game, not sure they can honestly.
They didn't stop the Dark horses ground game, so i think we'll be ready and they want be playing Rose defenses.

That is correct. Can SC run game be slowed and can Hoggard throw the ball.

They didn't stop the Dark horses ground game, so i think we'll be ready and they want be playing Rose defenses.
I wouldn't put much into the Clinton game. This team is completely different on defense at this point. SC may be better than Clinton and may run all over us but it's not the same defense.

I wouldn't put much into the Clinton game. This team is completely different on defense at this point. SC may be better than Clinton and may run all over us but it's not the same defense.
I thought you stated they got wide outs back i don't remember you saying the defense changed getting off blocks or different alignment? I've watched the Clinton game so i will stand by my statement Hoggard will have their hands full with the ground game.

just saw some of the clinton clips and they look very small on d especially at the linebacker position. They better be tough as nails because they look a lot like NB in terms of size.

I would expect for Hoggard to have a shot they'll have to hold
Scotland to no more than 3 tds. Scotland did score just 20 at
Pinecrest so I guess it could happen. Clinton a very good 2a
team that can run it, Scotland a very good 4a team that has
one of the top run attacks in the state. The New Hanover
comparison isn't good either. All this I be it is a while back
so we shall see this coming Friday night. The atmosphere
will be fantastic with a guaranteed packed house on the home
side.Lets see you guys fill up the away side or at least combine
what SER and New Bern had to have a respectable showing.
Prepare, prepare, prepare.....5 days

The Scots need to keep up the same thing they've been doing the whole season. Jump on them early and often, limit the turnovers, limit the big plays, and don't leave any points on the field. Hoggard is no scrubs, they will come to ball.

I thought you stated they got wide outs back i don't remember you saying the defense changed getting off blocks or different alignment? I've watched the Clinton game so i will stand by my statement Hoggard will have their hands full with the ground game.
They did not have their WRs back for the Clinton game and it wouldn't have made much difference. I was talking about the defense. Hoggard defense will not be able to match SC with athleticism, nor could they 2 years ago. Hoggard will be at least 3 TD underdog just as they were against Hillside. This is not a lock down defense but my point is, they are much, much improved. Had we played SC the 1st week of the season they may have rushed for as many yards as they wanted too. A lot of new guys learning their responsibilities and learning to trust each other. I will tell you that Clinton's O line did not have any problems. They fired off the ball as good as I have seen in a while and they blocked well. Anyone who is knowledgeable about Hoggard is very concerned with SC running game. That will be one of 2 big issues in the game. Hoggard will not shut them down but can they slow them or even confuse or frustrate them. If they can't they will not have a chance.

Reactions: sikner51
They did not have their WRs back for the Clinton game and it wouldn't have made much difference. I was talking about the defense. Hoggard defense will not be able to match SC with athleticism, nor could they 2 years ago. Hoggard will be at least 3 TD underdog just as they were against Hillside. This is not a lock down defense but my point is, they are much, much improved. Had we played SC the 1st week of the season they may have rushed for as many yards as they wanted too. A lot of new guys learning their responsibilities and learning to trust each other. I will tell you that Clinton's O line did not have any problems. They fired off the ball as good as I have seen in a while and they blocked well. Anyone who is knowledgeable about Hoggard is very concerned with SC running game. That will be one of 2 big issues in the game. Hoggard will not shut them down but can they slow them or even confuse or frustrate them. If they can't they will not have a chance.
I think you are spot on. Offensively Hoggard will get a few shots but if they can't get over 21 points I think they are in for a very long night. Zamir is running like a man that is mad at the world.

Reactions: portcity FB
I think you are spot on. Offensively Hoggard will get a few shots but if they can't get over 21 points I think they are in for a very long night. Zamir is running like a man that is mad at the world.
Hoggard has faced many good RB over the past few seasons and overall they have done well. Against Rose, Hoggard held a 2400 yard rusher to 84 yards, but White is in a different class of RB. He isn't like anyone Hoggard has seen since Andre Brown. Brown was a great RB but I feel White is better.

I still cant figure why we pouched kicked the ball directly
to Andre Brown with a lead in the 4th quarter.
Answer : we wanted to give up a quick
touch down return.

Last edited:
I still cant figure why we pouched kicked the ball directly
to Andre Brown with a lead in the 4th quarter.
Answer : we wanted to give up a quick
touch down return.
Kinda like punting to Dickerson last year. LOL - Sometimes coaches get caught up to. Brown was a beast. Is he still in the League?

Passing stats-
S-1121 yards- 93 per game 13 TD 0 INT
H- 2065 yards- 159 per game 17 TD 7 INT
Rushing stats-
S- 517-3625- 302 per game 51 TD 11 Fumbles
H- 510-2846-219 per game 37 TD 2 Fumbles
Defense
S- 14 Int - 12 Fumbles- 53 Sacks
H- 10 Int- 12 Fumbles- 17 Sacks
Opp Records-
S- 75-76 (8 playoff teams)
H- 83-64 (11 playoff teams)

Just 2 fumbles lost for Hoggard. Nice...
You don't need any Friday night either.
Scotland gave SER 2 short fields with
turnovers giving up 2 tds.
Scotland definitely spends more time in the
backfield of the opposing team with a large amount
of sacks.It appears Hoggard needs to throw successfully
before the Scot defense gets to the qb.

How soon we forget? Two years ago Scotland team traveled to Hoggard for a 3rd round matchup and came out on the short end of the stick. Hoggard is a very well coached team that can not be taken for granted. Of course I want the Scots to win but just don't see the same scores some of you all do.

SC will take what you give them. If a team lines up wrong it's over, if they don't stay home its over. SC O line is big but they aren't the most physical group I've seen but with the backs they have they really just need to seal a player. Hoggard D line will need to get a good push and the DEs will have to be disciplined or the backs will bounce it outside and no one will be there. I think Hoggard will have to bring at least 1 safety up and try to make the Scots beat us passing. SC only run a handful plays but they do not need much space to gain yards.
On offense Hoggard will have to throw it. The OC can be very crafty. He did a great job against Hillside and stayed a step ahead of them all night. SC attacks a lot on defense and puts a lot of pressure on. I'm sure Hoggard will be ready to make quick, safe passes and try to neutralize that somewhat. They will also take some shots which has paid off for them the last 2 games. Their TE and FB have great hands and are quicker than they look and will need to be involved.

How soon we forget? Of course I want the Scots to win but just don't see the same scores some of you all do.
I just see 2 score predictions in the thread so far, one from a Raider which I don't count. The other seems very plausible.
We all staying away from that prediction it seems.
Ill just go with Scots win.
Great analysis there Port.

Sounds good to me I got some thing I would like to say but I better keep my mouth closed, seem I always stick my foot in it.

Nothing about Hoggard's resume says.....Ooohhh they have a good shot, except for that Hillside win. Man that just sticks out big time. What's the old saying, "What have you done for me lately?" They've had some recent big time wins and thats more important than their early big time losses.

Scotland 35, Hoggard 20

I do think Hoggard can keep it close but they could also get blown out. They will have to play their best game of the year and still get some help.

Nothing about Hoggard's resume says.....Ooohhh they have a good shot, except for that Hillside win. Man that just sticks out big time. What's the old saying, "What have you done for me lately?" They've had some recent big time wins and thats more important than their early big time losses.

Scotland 35, Hoggard 20
Maybe HHS got caught with their pants down are got exposed like we did last year agains ND. I would not read too much into that as it relates to Scots. Scots need to play their game and let the chips fall where they may.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT