ADVERTISEMENT

Hoggard 24 Clinton 21

Darkhorse#34

Jul 30, 2006
Clinton falls to 4A Hoggard for its first loss of the season.....probably will dropped in the rankings and off most experts list we will fade off peoples radar but this game reminds me Alot of the East Bladen loss last year...we made Alot of mistakes tonight penalties killed what could of been a game winning drive and a final turnover sealed the deal...we know we can be beat now so it's Alot of work that still needs to be done I expect the team to be pissed off by this just like last year and we saw what happened after we lost...I'll say this right now I feel sorry for that Pender team that comes to Dark Horse Stadium next Friday......Congrats to the Hoggard Vikings and their fans they have a solid football team and it showed good game PortcityFB if you're reading this maybe we can get some payback next year.....Skinner was the man tonight 3 TDs 2 rushing one Receiving over 100 yards again.....defense stepped up in the 2nd half after that awful first half...I'm extremely proud of this team tonight they fought back and almost stole victory...keep your heads up fellas long season ahead get ready for next week....A minor setback...get ready for a major comeback GO HORSES!!!!!!!

Big deal. You are suppose to take losses to 4A schools with double your ADM. This close loss was to a good 4A team.

DH34 sorry about no feed tonight, I got word during the broadcast that some others couldn't pick it up, this is the second time this year our internet guys have dropped the ball, it's not a station thing, the Internet feed is provided by our communications provider, without directly throwing anyone under the bus, the boss was not to happy, and if I know him like I do, we should be back on the air next week for the Internet feed. Sorry again.

We are losing 7 guys on defense next year. So you are right, we will have a difficult time with Clintons rushing attack next year. We have almost everyone back on offense so we will need to try and out score you. Clinton showed a lot in the second half. They played hard and showed a lot of heart. Our dropped TD pass and missed FG kept the momentum your way and Clinton kept pushing. I thought Hoggard did a great job with Skinner and the great RBs for Clinton. Skinner had 122 all purpose yards and he got 70 plus on one run. We bottled him up well. He is a special player. Also, your kicker doesn't look like a kicker but he has a great leg. What a weapon.

no shame in losing to a good 4A team. Clinton will have a big say so in the 2A playoffs this year.

Yea no shame like Wiz pointed out those great teams in 96 and 97 had L's on their record...like last year hopefully this lost brings the team together more especially the way they fought back and come together...remember that was a completely different Clinton team after the East Bladen game last year

Clinton will be just fine. They have all the pieces to make another deep run. Their back field is deep and talented and their secondary has plenty of speed. Good size and movement on both lines. Winning it all is very hard to do but I think Clinton will be right there. Good luck.

Big deal. You are suppose to take losses to 4A schools with double your ADM. This close loss was to a good 4A team.

Gotta disagree. Larger talent pool and larger roster doesn't equate to a better team. It just means more players, that's all. I don't think any smaller class teams go into games with higher class teams thinking that they are supposed to lose. At least I hope not.

I with you SWE'98. Wallace-Rose Hill (1A) destroyed Wilmington Laney (4A) earlier this year. Wilmington Hoggard have lost a lot of weapons from the year before, but have played a tough schedule so far. Clinton came into this year with a lot press and predicted by some to win the eastern half of the state. Good win for Wilmington Hoggard and Clinton shouldn't hang their head

a very good team by 4A standards, more often than not, will very convincingly beat a very good team by 1A standards. i agree that the smaller school shouldnt have a "i dont care if we lose" attitude, but all in all a much larger talent pool should and usually does produce a better team. its just the law of numbers. if you have 15 players to choose 3 key rb's from on a bigger team, and only 5 players to choose 3 key rb's from on the smaller team, chances are the rb's on the bigger team will be better. not always but most of the time.

Yeah, the law of numbers suggest that there is more talent to choose from. I just disagreed with the thought that a 1a team basically has no business beating a 4a team. Here in Edgecome county, 1A Tarboro beats larger teams all the time. I actually think that that was a good win for Hoggard.

I with you SWE'98. Wallace-Rose Hill (1A) destroyed Wilmington Laney (4A) earlier this year. Wilmington Hoggard have lost a lot of weapons from the year before, but have played a tough schedule so far. Clinton came into this year with a lot press and predicted by some to win the eastern half of the state. Good win for Wilmington Hoggard and Clinton shouldn't hang their head
Ok then Wallace should try and get on Mallard Creek's schedule next year. They always have difficulty getting teams to play them. NCHSAA and every 1A school that pressed for subdividing beg to differ. 1A beating a 4A team reflects the poor job the 4A is doing with sports.

Reactions: 96panther
There is a big difference in beating a 4A school and beating the top 4A schools. Clinton beating Hoggard this year would not have been an upset, last year yes. Clinton or any small school beating Indy or Butler or RC or MC in their prime is completely different.

Ok then Wallace should try and get on Mallard Creek's schedule next year. They always have difficulty getting teams to play them. NCHSAA and every 1A school that pressed for subdividing beg to differ. 1A beating a 4A team reflects the poor job the 4A is doing with sports.

Look at portcity FB's comment above. I was giving Clinton a lot of credit for having a strong team and Wilmington Hoggard not having their typical team. In years past this wouldn't be a great match up, but from reading this thread nobody gave Wilmington Hoggard a chance. Clinton loses the game and now ... Well they shouldn't be able to compete with 4A schools. Which is it? Clinton will go deep in the playoffs, Probably back to the state cHampionship game and Wilmington Hoggard will play their first playoff game on the road. Enjoy the season and a loss doesn't make a season.

Look at portcity FB's comment above. I was giving Clinton a lot of credit for having a strong team and Wilmington Hoggard not having their typical team. In years past this wouldn't be a great match up, but from reading this thread nobody gave Wilmington Hoggard a chance. Clinton loses the game and now ... Well they shouldn't be able to compete with 4A schools. Which is it? Clinton will go deep in the playoffs, Probably back to the state cHampionship game and Wilmington Hoggard will play their first playoff game on the road. Enjoy the season and a loss doesn't make a season.
That is not my comment.

OK.
I am not saying that no 1A or 2A team could never beat the best 4A school. However just imagine Shelby last season playing MC. MC prob plays 6-7 guys on D line plus 6-7 more in the secondary. The O line went 2 deep with little to any drop off. No matter how good the Shelby lineman were, they would be gassed by the 4th qrt. If they had guys going both ways it would be in the 3rd qrt.

In away this reminds me of my junior year back in 2005...the South Lenior game we were down 21-0 got literally outplayed every aspect of the game in the first half....halftime got a very very engaged speech from then Pittsburgh Steelers RB and Clinton alum Willie Parker...came out on fire in the 2nd half only to fall short....but after that game we didn't lose anymore and the rest is history

I never liked 1A and 2A teams playing 4A teams regardless of how strong they are. One classification up should be a rule. If a team goes 0-4 in non conference playing big schools then blow out their conference foes it makes seeding in the playoffs unbalanced. In the second round you could see two state finalist type teams playing.

In away this reminds me of my junior year back in 2005...the South Lenior game we were down 21-0 got literally outplayed every aspect of the game in the first half....halftime got a very very engaged speech from then Pittsburgh Steelers RB and Clinton alum Willie Parker...came out on fire in the 2nd half only to fall short....but after that game we didn't lose anymore and the rest is history
i remember that team well darkhorse34. im pretty sure the star rb of that team was Nick Cooper who was literally a man among boys when you guys played us at East Duplin that year. we were blown out but i cant remember the exact score. i remember quite vividly asking myself "how in the world has this Clinton team lost the games they have?" needless to say something clicked and if im not mistaken you guys never lost another game that year.

i remember that team well darkhorse34. im pretty sure the star rb of that team was Nick Cooper who was literally a man among boys when you guys played us at East Duplin that year. we were blown out but i cant remember the exact score. i remember quite vividly asking myself "how in the world has this Clinton team lost the games they have?" needless to say something clicked and if im not mistaken you guys never lost another game that year.

Yep beat you guys 63-37 at ED then double OT playoff win at Clinton.....yea went on to win the State title that year...lets just say Willie Parker was pretty animated in his halftime speech lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT