ADVERTISEMENT

High School Footballs Decline

Good article I see it here in Columbus County. Our 1A schools are going through same thing. 2 of our teams have been playing with 13 or 14 players on varsity. Its sad but true what this article said about a lot of schools. Have numbers in mountain teams fallen off this year?

Good article I see it here in Columbus County. Our 1A schools are going through same thing. 2 of our teams have been playing with 13 or 14 players on varsity. Its sad but true what this article said about a lot of schools. Have numbers in mountain teams fallen off this year?
I think everyone in the SMC is holding steady. The bottom 3 teams are a little more down this year but that’s not saying much. Under 30 players for those 3

If you're winning kids want to play,if not hard to get the kids out.High School football is a year-round deal now.Some kids just not willing to do that for several reasons.I have a lot of respect for kids that play in this day and time especially for the ones that play on teams that continually have losing seasons year after year.

If you're winning kids want to play,if not hard to get the kids out.High School football is a year-round deal now.Some kids just not willing to do that for several reasons.I have a lot of respect for kids that play in this day and time especially for the ones that play on teams that continually have losing seasons year after year.
I agree with you, but kids today don't want to do anything that's hard work. Football is hard work. Just look at Robbinsville couple years ago won state and following year 3 starters decided not to play. Murphy won state last year but just how big is your sophomore class? Brevard had great season last year but # on sidelines don't look good. I know Rosman # are up just cause we had coaching change. But I see all kinds of athletes at Rosman and when I ask why they aren't playing football they say no time. Kids today want to take the easy path in life, don't want to do anything hard.

I agree with you, but kids today don't want to do anything that's hard work. Football is hard work. Just look at Robbinsville couple years ago won state and following year 3 starters decided not to play. Murphy won state last year but just how big is your sophomore class? Brevard had great season last year but # on sidelines don't look good. I know Rosman # are up just cause we had coaching change. But I see all kinds of athletes at Rosman and when I ask why they aren't playing football they say no time. Kids today want to take the easy path in life, don't want to do anything hard.
Ridiculous to say kids today don't want to work and take these easy path. The academic demands we had pales in comparison to what is demanded of these kids today

Ok maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so. Here's a test for everyone talk to the kids that aren't playing at your school, you will get a long list of excuses, but the one I get the most football is to hard and takes up a lot of time.

I believe that our seemingly relentless insistence on specialization at younger and younger ages is ultimately destroying almost all sports. Young people shouldn't have to choose one sport over another in order to stand a chance at playing time. Especially in 1-A and 2-A schools where numbers are often a challenge by definition.
At our 2-A school, I can name a few kids who went on to participate in college. But I can name more who became burned out and stopped playing because they were tired of the year-round grind.

It’s a proven fact when College recruiters look for potential players they want to see a athlete who has played multiple sports.

It’s a proven fact when College recruiters look for potential players they want to see a athlete who has played multiple sports.
That's probably true, but I believe most coaches and a lot of parents see it differently. In my experience, very few of either actually talk to the kids and respect their wishes.

That's probably true, but I believe most coaches and a lot of parents see it differently. In my experience, very few of either actually talk to the kids and respect their wishes.
Your probably right. But I found out that our High School Coaches do little to known with trying to get my kids recruited. I read a lot of articles which stated that College recruiters like to see a athlete who played multiple sports and it gave several reasons why. I took it upon myself when my kids were freshman to get my kids name out to recruiters and keep them out there. I kept their profiles updated as for as stats and accomplishments because I knew they would not get any help from our coaches. Of course my kids put in the time and work and got exposure and both were blessed to get into college with sports scholarships. They had no AAU, or summer league experience because we couldn’t afford it. They just did it the old fashion way with hard work.

Last edited:
Here in southeastern NC,kids are playing baseball year round. Cost lots of money,travel teams,ect. They is up to parents. But during season so much pressure being put on baseball players its ridiculous. I've heard parents say I spent xx amount of money he should be great. IMO a kid either has the ability or not to play. Sure it takes hard work,but they never have time to be themselves,things away from the sport for few months. They have daily grinds they are expected to do and they comply. Maybe we as parents should ask the kids what they want to do them give support to them.

It's scary what's happening to high school athletics...numbers are down at many schools and many schools have gone to pay to play due to funding and financial issues...i agree way to much specialization going on especially when lets be honest less than 5% of athletes in wnc go on to play at college level..i believe schools and kids flourish when kids play multiple sports..i can only speak of franklin high school and I know they require ENORMOUS amounts of time for all athletes..yet they do have many many two and three sport athletes..but I AGREE most kids that don't play football is because it's hard and BEYOND time consuming..my hope is that has communities we will support all athletes and athletic teams and understand what a vital component of our communities high school athletics has and also understand what an impact high school sports often have on a kids life..no offense to others sports but here there is no other night like FOOTBALL FRIDAY NIGHT

Your probably right. But I found out that our High School Coaches do little to known with trying to get my kids recruited. I read a lot of articles which stated that College recruiters like to see a athlete who played multiple sports and it gave several reasons why. I took it upon myself when my kids were freshman to get my kids name out to recruiters and keep them out there. I kept their profiles updated as for as stats and accomplishments because I knew they would not get any help from our coaches. Of course my kids put in the time and work and got exposure and both were blessed to get into college with sports scholarships. They had no AAU, or summer league experience because we couldn’t afford it. They just did it the old fashion way with hard work.

Also worth pointing out that your kids are pretty genetically gifted. Which kind of points out why all of this specialization can be misguided--a lot of recruiting comes down to measurables no matter how much money gets spent on camps and travel tournaments.

Also worth pointing out that your kids are pretty genetically gifted. Which kind of points out why all of this specialization can be misguided--a lot of recruiting comes down to measurables no matter how much money gets spent on camps and travel tournaments.
I think the summer league etc have a lot of positives but overall I think it’s a money pit. Of course i’m old school and think you can get just as much by staying in the gym or like we did back in the day live at the rec park. It boils down to staying active and putting the time in. Keep a ball of some sort in your hand year round. Pick up games against the older kids, 7 on 7 in football. And it’s FREE. By the way thank you for the kind words

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Any week end at Myrtle Beach ,Cal Ripkin or any other of 12 fields are loaded with teams from all over. Cal Ripkin booked up for year usually . think about the money back kid has to pay to get into tournament as a team. Scouts there each week most time looking at kids. Dirt Bag ball,Greensboro is another.
You see best of best usually. 13u,14u and so on. Someone making money. Most that went from our area can't go to D1 schools.
McKenzie Gore was 3 overall pick this year,great player and young man.

North Carolina population hasn't increased as fast as new schools pop up. I think the introduction of all these Charter Schools and Private Schools has spread atheletes kinda thin at Schools that were borderline 3a,2A, or 1a to begin with. The state has tons of high schools that are just 5miles or less apart and all these things contribute to the decline.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT