ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball High School Baseball

Sportsnut17

Oct 7, 2005
Time to get the talk started, even though most teams have been practicing since school started last fall, it officially starts tomorrow.

Let's here what everyone's got?

Reactions: thekidd12
We have wet fields right now is what we all have!! haha

CPC should be another gauntlet this year! Reagan and Davie seem to be the front runners from what I'm told and Glenn returns everyone from last years Sophomore and Freshman heavy line up. West Forsyth and East Forsyth will be strong again as well and RJ Reynolds returns some key pieces with a new coach since Doug Welch went to be with his family in Texas.

NW Guilford was recently selected to play in the prestigious NHSI in Cary, NC at the USA Baseball Complex and they are loaded with arms and talent too!

Well looks like it's us again guys so here's my take on 2A PAC7:

Should be an interesting year.

Favorite as usual is Randleman returning several starters as well as most of their pitching staff.

Providence Grove, winner of end of season tournament, will have to replace top two arms, top three hitters, as well as SS who tore ACL in football (Hate it for him a fine young man).

Wheatmore is interesting in that they bring back most of a young squad from last year with good arms in rotation.

Eastern Randolph lost three starters including their 2 and 3 hitters , one I care for quite a bit, however should be much deeper in pitching staff this season.

Jordan Mathews was very young and returns almost everyone from a team that surprised in some wins last year.

Trinity lost quite a bit but has good coaching.

Andrews is well, Andrews.

I think conference will be a three team race this year between Randleman, Wheatmore and Eastern Randolph. I know I am biased but if ER gets the arms they have some run support they could make a good run. However shouldn't overlook JM which could throw a wrench in everybody's season.

Forecast for next week is cold and wet so it must be about baseball time. Going to be odd for me personally to watch games and not be sitting on edge of seat when mine comes to plate.

It was a fun ride though.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
It's going to be a rebuilding year (or 2) for Murphy in 1A after back to back title game appearances and last year's state title. 'Dogs lost a bunch of great seniors and their stud freshman Clapsaddle (who was also the only freshman/sophomore starter on last year's team) transferred to Christ School last summer.

Murphy only bring back two starters off last year's team: seniors Barolet and Roberts. Had Clapsaddle stayed that would've been a good trio to build around in the lineup, but alas it didn't pan out that way. The piece of good news for Murphy is that this year's freshman class is really strong, so they could be back in the title hunt when those kids are seniors as long as the middle school group coming up behind them can supplement them some.

Franklin Panthers will be Senior heavy!!! Lost 80% of pitching but have kids that can step up if they will. Will be last year to make a conference run for a while. If they stay healthy should be very competitive. Return co player of year in conf. In Chastain and a three time all conference kid in Gibson. Those two will carry them as long as they can!! Have been top two hitters on team for last two years so don’t expect that to change. Also will be called on to pitch. Another kid could be wild card. Was throwing hard last year till injury set him back. Looking forward to seeing some sunshine and baseball!!!

Are there any new playoff seeding procedures for 2019?
The big difference to this year from last year is that now you cannot leap frog past anybody in your conference simply based on adjusted maxpreps rankings....last year you had the automatic bids from each conference (usually 1st & 2nd....occasionally just 1st, or 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, depending on how many teams in)....and then wild cards among all 3rd place, all 4th place, and maybe a 5th place team or two....now it's possible for one league to get 7 or 8 in while another league may only get 2 or 3....If league A's final conference finishers' ranking is 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35.....and league B's teams are 40, 47, 55, 65, 78, 89, 104.....then both team's 1st & 2nd place teams automatically get in....but every team in league A will get in before any wild cards get in from league B....another caveat to look out for....let's say there's a league C here whose 1st-7th place's teams rankings go 17, 23, 67, 52, 58, 89....then that 3rd place team with a 67 ranking is probably going to get left out....as will everybody else in that league below them

It's based on your regular season schedule and also factors in your conference tournament. No such thing as a 22 game schedule anymore

Reactions: tarheelg
What matters when it's time to seed the brackets (and i'm working on projections....will publish a draft of them in a week or two for 1A & 2A) is conference finish....remember all automatic bid conference champions get seeded first...then all auto bid conference #2s....then the few auto bid #3s...then all wild cards....and in every tier, the final adjusted maxpreps ranking will seed them...some teams are very close and could change between the next to last and last ranking...the toughest part, especially with the final rankings a mystery, is trying to figure out exactly which 64 teams are in the playoffs....because that will determine where the East/West cut line is...teams like North Davidson, Central Davidson, Oak Grove, Walkertown, Ledford, Randleman, Providence Grove, etc. could go either way, depending on who gets in, and that could totally skew the projections....a team could be licking their chops thinking they're getting such and such opponent in the first round (or beyond), then one thing changes, then you go from a cake walk bracket to murderer's row....or vice versa...and it could be because you won (or lost) a game that causes this change.....or it could be because of a game 500 miles away...even in a different classification if a split conference comes into play

Reactions: Eagles/Trojans13
What matters when it's time to seed the brackets (and i'm working on projections....will publish a draft of them in a week or two for 1A & 2A) is conference finish....remember all automatic bid conference champions get seeded first...then all auto bid conference #2s....then the few auto bid #3s...then all wild cards....and in every tier, the final adjusted maxpreps ranking will seed them...some teams are very close and could change between the next to last and last ranking...the toughest part, especially with the final rankings a mystery, is trying to figure out exactly which 64 teams are in the playoffs....because that will determine where the East/West cut line is...teams like North Davidson, Central Davidson, Oak Grove, Walkertown, Ledford, Randleman, Providence Grove, etc. could go either way, depending on who gets in, and that could totally skew the projections....a team could be licking their chops thinking they're getting such and such opponent in the first round (or beyond), then one thing changes, then you go from a cake walk bracket to murderer's row....or vice versa...and it could be because you won (or lost) a game that causes this change.....or it could be because of a game 500 miles away...even in a different classification if a split conference comes into play
If I'm not mistaken haven't they made a change in seeding protocol for this year? In football/basketball they were seeding all #1 seeds first (highest Maxpreps to lowest). No 2 seed would be allowed to jump a 1 seed even if their overall ranking were higher. But starting with the 2 seeds they would seed based on Maxpreps and allow 3 seeds to enter the equation. For example, let's say the very best 2 seed gets placed in the bracket order. At that point the 3 seed from their conference would be lumped in with the remaining 2 seeds. If the 3 seed from that same conference is ranked higher on Maxpreps than some of the 2 seeds, then the 3 seed would be seeded earlier than the weaker 2 seeds.

If I'm not mistaken haven't they made a change in seeding protocol for this year? In football/basketball they were seeding all #1 seeds first (highest Maxpreps to lowest). No 2 seed would be allowed to jump a 1 seed even if their overall ranking were higher. But starting with the 2 seeds they would seed based on Maxpreps and allow 3 seeds to enter the equation. For example, let's say the very best 2 seed gets placed in the bracket order. At that point the 3 seed from their conference would be lumped in with the remaining 2 seeds. If the 3 seed from that same conference is ranked higher on Maxpreps than some of the 2 seeds, then the 3 seed would be seeded earlier than the weaker 2 seeds.
I could be wrong but I believe that's more for who qualifies for the playoffs and not where they are seeded....I think all 1s still go at the top, then 2s, then 3s (not many of them), then wild cards....I tried to give a summary explanation of this situation two posts ago where a team could be third in their conference and still miss the playoffs, while another team could be 7th and make it, depending on their ranking....while another could be 4th, with a high ranking, but get left out if the 3rd place team in their league does not make it

Reactions: Eagles/Trojans13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT