ADVERTISEMENT

Hibriten 16, East Duplin 14

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Courtesy of James Alverson NCHSAA

2AA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP – Hibriten nabs first title with a hard-fought 16-14 win over East Duplin

CHAPEL HILL – Hibriten slugged their way to a 16-14 victory over East Duplin in the first football State Championship appearance, claiming the school’s first title. Hibriten used a bend but don’t break defense and a great game from their punter to bend the field position and the game in their favor.

East Duplin took their third play from scrimmage, handing it to Melvin Scott, who ripped off an 81-yard run for a score, putting East up 7-0 with just over 8 minutes to go in the first quarter. Scott was named the East Duplin Most Outstanding Offensive Player for his three-carry, 108 yard and a touchdown performance.

The two teams trade possession uneventfully until East Duplin intercepted a pass at their own two early in the second quarter, taking over deep in their own end. On the next play from scrimmage, Chris Benson was nabbed for a two-yard loss and a safety, cutting the East Duplin lead to 7-2. After the free kick, Hibriten used a halfback pass from 9McKinley Witherspoon to a wide-open Miles Simon to take a 9-7 lead with 9:26 to go in the second quarter.

Later in the quarter, Simon hauled in a 43-yard pass from quarterback Jaylen Scott for another touchdown, extending their lead to 16-7 with 1:53 to go in the first half. Simon was named the game’s Most Valuable Player, hauling in just the two catches, for a total of 96 yards and two scores.

East Duplin made a last push to make the game very interesting late, driving 99 yards on 20 plays in the fourth quarter, capped off by a 1-yard run by Chris Benson to make the score 16-14. Despite outgaining Hibriten 359-190 yards on the day, East Duplin just couldn’t overcome the tough field position they found themselves in most of the day.

Hibriten had a fantastic performance from their punter, Noah Haney, who punted six times for an average of 46 yards kept East Duplin deep in their own end most of the night. Five of those Haney punts were downed inside the 20-yard line, three of them inside the ten. He was named Hibriten’s Most Outstanding Offensive Player. The Defensive Award for Most Outstanding Player for Hibriten went to Charles Tassinari, who had 16 tackles including an assist on a tackle for loss.

East Duplin’s most outstanding player defensively was Amaru Herring. Herring registered 10 tackles on the day, including three tackles for a loss, which was the second highest tackle total on the team.

GAME AWARDS

East (East Duplin) Most Outstanding Defensive Player – Amaru Herring

East (East Duplin) Most Outstanding Offensive Player – Melvin Scott

West (Hibriten) – Most Outstanding Defensive Player – Charles Tassinari

West (Hibriten) – Most Outstanding Offensive Player – Noah Haney

Championship M.V.P. – Miles Simon (Hibriten)

What a great game. ED with early momentum and Highbrriten playing a great game to pull it out.

Just curious if I am the only one who saw that that the 4th and 10 for highbriten that they converted before throwing a pick that led to a safety should have never happened. 1st quarter ended and about 3 seconds later ball was snapped with a 10 yard pass for a 1st down.

Not claiming that had any bearing on the game. For all I know they could have scored when second quarter began but I certainly would love to have that play over in a two point game.

Great game by both sides.

What a great game. ED with early momentum and Highbrriten playing a great game to pull it out.

Just curious if I am the only one who saw that that the 4th and 10 for highbriten that they converted before throwing a pick that led to a safety should have never happened. 1st quarter ended and about 3 seconds later ball was snapped with a 10 yard pass for a 1st down.

Not claiming that had any bearing on the game. For all I know they could have scored when second quarter began but I certainly would love to have that play over in a two point game.

And it wasn’t even close to getting in off in time either

I didn't notice that but we did see that pass go right through Cameron Hall's hands. He had absolutely nothing but green grass in front of him. Would have been a pick six for sure. But it bounced right off his hands and into the arms of a receiver.

Every single bounce went Hibriten's way today and they were well coached to take advantage of them.

Reactions: 96panther
Im still laughing bout ED fans hoping for 35 points. We gave up 67 until today, for total of 81 in 16 games! I'm wondering....is the WEST still weak?
Offense wins you ball games.
Defense wins CHAMPIONSHIPS!
only a couple of ED fans did that. most were realistic with our predictions. although our starting RB getting hurt did hurt us a lot, i still didnt see us scoring 35 even with him. ill admit before he got hurt we were moving the ball pretty well. anyway congrats again on the win. you beat a great team in my Panthers and Hibriten is a great team as well. a little advice, learn how to win with class!

Last edited:
Wish Battle had gotten his ring. I am however disaponted in the lack of support the ED faithful showed WRH . A ton of our fans made the trip to support the Panthers and very few of them stuck around for the Dogs game.

only a couple of ED fans did that. most were realistic with our predictions. although our starting RB getting hurt did hurt us a lot, i still didnt see us scoring 35 even with him. ill admit before he got hurt we were moving the ball pretty well. anyway congrats again on the win. you beat a great team in my Panthers and Hibriten is a great team as well. a little advice, learn how to win with class!

Yeah like i said few days ago. Those with the mouths.....poof! Dont give me no !$*€%% about class bud. Was nothing out the way. Just stating a fact! Suck it up, take it with CLASS MR without crying cause you dont wanna see it!

I’m pretty sure Witherspoon was hurt after the roughing the passer call on the Td as well. He didn’t look real good on the bench after the play

I’m pretty sure Witherspoon was hurt after the roughing the passer call on the Td as well. He didn’t look real good on the bench after the play
He took a big hit on the opening kickoff return as well. We couldn't make any holes except for that triple I he about broke 2 or 3 runs out of that formation but got tripped up. But its a team game we won with our defense, special teams and 2 passing TD's.

Just curious, is the LBer Tassinari getting any looks at the next level, or has he already decided on a college of choice?....He was a difference maker for sure for Hibriten...Thought the Mason kid on the DL was tough to handle as well...Is he being recruited by anybody?

Congrats to the Western Panthers of Hibriten on their first state football title!

Wish Battle had gotten his ring. I am however disaponted in the lack of support the ED faithful showed WRH . A ton of our fans made the trip to support the Panthers and very few of them stuck around for the Dogs game.
me and my boys stayed, and what did i get when i walked into the bathroom? a whole group of dogs fans basically talking and joking about the fact that we still havent won a title. no class. and then you wonder why we dont like WRH.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogs79
me and my boys stayed, and what did i get when i walked into the bathroom? a whole group of dogs fans basically conservating in a joking matter about the fact that we still havent won a title. no class. and then you wonder why we dont like WRH.
Its that respect thing you talking about.

i have respect for some dogs fans but youre not among them. anybody that cant win without belittling other teams and their failures is a POS to me.
Yeah yeah yeah. We have heard all this before from you. I knew, you would come out. You take this way to serious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT