ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coaches Setting Poor Examples

BlackAndYellowFellow

Mar 6, 2021
I’m sorry, but what has transpired on Twitter tonight from coaches that lead programs and young men has been atrocious. The NCHSAA isn’t perfect (far from it), but what they’ve done in the midst of a pandemic should be acknowledged at the least. Some states cancelled fall sports altogether for this year, but at least North Carolina had a season. Not sharing tape because you caught a tough break? Going after programs that couldn’t help that they had to be quarantined due to Covid and talk down on a coach that has been in that profession for 48 years?

Head coaches calling out some of the most respected journalists in this state that have worked day-in and day-out for decades to give young men and programs notoriety are being told to kick rocks and how to do their jobs. This coming from coaches that often complain about “coaches” in the stands doing the exact same thing. What’s worse is that players are now packing it on in this behavior as well.

It is a damn shame what I’ve seen on social media tonight.

There are also some so-called respectable journalists who have agendas and like to throw fuel on the fire in situations like these from time to time. Now I'm not saying that is the case here, and I think both were not doing themselves favors, but it's just a sad situation for some teams and I understand their frustrations.

I think once the coaches settle down, take a step back, breathe, and let the emotion of the situation pass, they'll agree that they didn't handle themselves the best, and they'll use these situations as teaching tools for their players to do the right things when they face adversity.

Absolutely. I understand that, but the two that I’m referring to are stand-up guys and didn’t deserve what transpired tonight. I hope that the coaches do exactly that. As daunting as the past 14 months have been, I’m sure the NCHSAA did the best they could with what they knew how to do. This is uncharted territory for all involved. It won’t be this way next year, but as the adults a better example has to be set for these kids. That’s the meat of my issue.

\The damage is done, the coach has had days to prepare for this in his mind, the projections
have been there. This type of stuff will be every year when we get back to the system before
a/aa. Weve all been spoiled with so many making the playoffs. At 32 some will be left out, the line
has to be drawn somewhere.. Maybe a conf champ should be the only one that is automatic and the rest
on some type of power ranking. Extreme circumstances this year and said coaches should be ashamed
not just look back and think maybe i should have handled that different. You cant vocally complain about the officiating in public and this type behavior tonight should be fineable to the coach and or institution like that is.

\The damage is done, the coach has had days to prepare for this in his mind, the projections
have been there. This type of stuff will be every year when we get back to the system before
a/aa. Weve all been spoiled with so many making the playoffs. At 32 some will be left out, the line
has to be drawn somewhere.. Maybe a conf champ should be the only one that is automatic and the rest
on some type of power ranking. Extreme circumstances this year and said coaches should be ashamed
not just look back and think maybe i should have handled that different. You cant vocally complain about the officiating in public and this type behavior tonight should be fineable to the coach and or institution like that is.
You can tell the.most about a person when they are intoxicated or they face adversity.

Reactions: UNC91
It's a bad look no doubt but coaches are human like the rest of us and make poor decisions. When you pour yourself into something 24/7 365 and you then see the hurt on your kids faces then jump on social media and start reading stuff....sometimes stupid takes over. Guy like Oliphant seems like a good dude, hopefully he sleeps it off and shuts it down for awhile.

I have far more issues with some of the stuff that gets posted on Twitter pre and post game by asst coaches. Some of the back and forth between the Hough and Vance guys has been unacceptable.

It's funny how guys feel slighted every time a HC position becomes available and they don't get it but continue to post childish stuff on their accounts time and time again. Maybe do some self reflection?? It's not just about X's and O's.

HSFB man has A team of Politicians working on's it. Looks at what they did, took away D's fun@ State Championship Games, it's likes sitting N's a school classroom and's can't talk.

Never get on any social media platform when you’re in your feelings and don’t have control of your emotions. It will never end well and make people not want to associate with you in the future.

The playoff format this spring was not the best choice to use, but all the coaches and ADs across the state knew this heading into the season. All you had to do was win (easier said than done) and you were in, lose and you put your fate of your playoff chances in someone else hands.

There are also some so-called respectable journalists who have agendas and like to throw fuel on the fire in situations like these from time to time. Now I'm not saying that is the case here, and I think both were not doing themselves favors, but it's just a sad situation for some teams and I understand their frustrations.

I think once the coaches settle down, take a step back, breathe, and let the emotion of the situation pass, they'll agree that they didn't handle themselves the best, and they'll use these situations as teaching tools for their players to do the right things when they face adversity.
Coaches are employees of school systems, most likely. As such, their use of social media also likely falls under board policy covering employee use of social media. Like it or not, their comments on playoffs and coaching/coaches is not protected speech because they are commenting in their official capacity.

I’m sorry, but what has transpired on Twitter tonight from coaches that lead programs and young men has been atrocious. The NCHSAA isn’t perfect (far from it), but what they’ve done in the midst of a pandemic should be acknowledged at the least. Some states cancelled fall sports altogether for this year, but at least North Carolina had a season. Not sharing tape because you caught a tough break? Going after programs that couldn’t help that they had to be quarantined due to Covid and talk down on a coach that has been in that profession for 48 years?

Head coaches calling out some of the most respected journalists in this state that have worked day-in and day-out for decades to give young men and programs notoriety are being told to kick rocks and how to do their jobs. This coming from coaches that often complain about “coaches” in the stands doing the exact same thing. What’s worse is that players are now packing it on in this behavior as well.

It is a damn shame what I’ve seen on social media tonight.
So, the guy who told Langston to "kick rocks" is the Cuthbertson coach ? Then he kept doubling down on it and went after another journalist. Not a good look for a head coach.
And this was because the headline called his game, an "easy" win for Weddington. A game he lost by 40..

1)The playoff system this year is a joke. Absolutely idiotic. that people who are reasonably intelligent came up with it is amazing. And i mean the seeding part. not sure if there was a way to do the qualifying part without making someone mad.

2) The NCHSAA is bad. i know we see people defending them all the time, but thats some good ole boy stuff. And i dont care if there are other states that are worse. irrelevant.

3) everyone knew all year it was gonna be like this. Its too late to complain now.

4) Coaches have to act professional. retire and light everybodys butt up if you want to, but as an active coach you have to think about what you post.

All of these things can be true.

All we heard was the playoffs were watered down with too many teams and now its tightened up with fewer teams like it used to be pre- 4A split and folks still mad. If they don't play you are mad, if they play you mad, if COVID cancels games you are mad. Thought the point was to have a season with the nchsaa was able to accomplish. Everyone knew the rules before the season now act shocked?

Personally - Coach did with a lot on a daily basis and They are with their players and coaching staff pretty much all the time so I have NO issue with Coaches fighting for their team

Lake Norman got hosed by this playoff setup - They one of a few that were the Better team and didn’t make it. I have 0 issues with what LN was arguing about

If NCHSAA does a Coin Flip or Whatever I believe those coaches or AD need to be Present to do so

Personally - Coach did with a lot on a daily basis and They are with their players and coaching staff pretty much all the time so I have NO issue with Coaches fighting for their team

Lake Norman got hosed by this playoff setup - They one of a few that were the Better team and didn’t make it. I have 0 issues with what LN was arguing about

If NCHSAA does a Coin Flip or Whatever I believe those coaches or AD need to be Present to do so
Essentially the LKN argument is that the two losses they had were to really good teams. Yup.....thats the downside of playing in a very good conf. Same argument has been made about seeding for years.

As far as the coin flip, I think we have had enough conspiracy theories the past 12 months.

It's not fair, never will be completly fair but in the end its really sort of simple. Beat Vance or Hough and your in.

Essentially the LKN argument is that the two losses they had were to really good teams. Yup.....thats the downside of playing in a very good conf. Same argument has been made about seeding for years.

As far as the coin flip, I think we have had enough conspiracy theories the past 12 months.

It's not fair, never will be completly fair but in the end its really sort of simple. Beat Vance or Hough and your in.
I agree but I just there needs to be some transparency in these coin flips and such but I get it Beat the teams u need to beat and u won’t have to worry about a Coin flip

In the past there were two members from an accounting firm that handled and oversaw draws for playoff spots on the day of seeding. Conference draws normally had the coaches/AD come together for the draw. One of the best stories is Chris Hughes going with the HC from South Rowan to do a three team draw for two playoff spots.

Lake Norman has no argument , they came up short by the rules played by this year, grow up coach, man up, accept it.
I disagree - If they do a Draw usually both coaches or AD are in attendance and neither of them were . I’m not say there a conspiracy but I need some transparency in that and if that how it suppose to be then Why were no one in attendance then

In the past there were two members from an accounting firm that handled and oversaw draws for playoff spots on the day of seeding. Conference draws normally had the coaches/AD come together for the draw. One of the best stories is Chris Hughes going with the HC from South Rowan to do a three team draw for two playoff spots.
Well did that change or ?

Last word on LKN. Next year we will be back to normal. I don't want to see Cox Mill or North Idrell on the Non Conf schedule so you can run up some nice wins for playoff seeding. You want to consider yourself a BIG DOG then let's go out and get Butler or MP. Maybe get the fan base to jump in the Range Rovers and the BMW'S and roll down 77 south to Columbia and get you some Dutch Fork or Irmo.

Let's see what happens over 10 or 11 games.

South Rowan won that draw over Davie and North Davidson back in 2001. That was after missing the playoffs due to a draw in 2000 as conference champs. Those were the good ol' days, right? Wrong, it's better for expanded playoffs so that everyone deserving gets in.
Chris, if I remember correctly wasn’t West Forsyth in on that 2000 draw? Back in Coach Stone’s days.

Thought coaches had to be present? This was a rule in 80s when we had a coin flip for playoffs

We are confusing two different items. Teams qualifying from their conference would have the coaches and AD from the schools meet. There may have been times when it was only the HC or AD but the school was represented.

When there was a drawing required for playoff seeding that was done in the NCHSAA office the morning the brackets were put together. That is when the accounting firm reps were on hand.

In the "old" days when it was five rounds of non subdivided playoffs and before with four rounds conferences had a set number of teams that would make the playoffs and it would rotate. The qualifiers were based on number of teams in the conference. One year three 9-1 schools tied for a conference title and one stayed home. A neighboring conference with inferior teams sent two, one with several losses. That is why I like the idea of MaxPreps or some other point system.

Chris, if I remember correctly wasn’t West Forsyth in on that 2000 draw? Back in Coach Stone’s days.
In 2000, R.J. Reynolds, South Rowan, and West Forsyth tied for 1st. Reynolds won 10, South 9, West 7, but West got in over South. That year Reynolds beat South 17-10, West beat Reynolds 29-22, and South beat West 52-20.

In 2001, Davie, North Davidson, and South all tied for 1st. Davie was 9-2, North was 10-1, South 8-3, and South got the #1 seed and Davie was out. That year Davie beat South 27-14, South beat N.Davidson 6-3, and N.Davidson beat Davie 20-13.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Same thing happened to kannapolis in 1988. Kannapolis finished in a three-way tie for first place and lost out on the draw and missed the playoffs. That was the last time Kannapolis missed the playoffs. Finished 8-2 for the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris_Hughes
I agree that having teams present would be a good idea.
That being said, in state draws they have never been present.
For draws within leagues, yes, they are.

We are confusing two different items. Teams qualifying from their conference would have the coaches and AD from the schools meet. There may have been times when it was only the HC or AD but the school was represented.

When there was a drawing required for playoff seeding that was done in the NCHSAA office the morning the brackets were put together. That is when the accounting firm reps were on hand.

In the "old" days when it was five rounds of non subdivided playoffs and before with four rounds conferences had a set number of teams that would make the playoffs and it would rotate. The qualifiers were based on number of teams in the conference. One year three 9-1 schools tied for a conference title and one stayed home. A neighboring conference with inferior teams sent two, one with several losses. That is why I like the idea of MaxPreps or some other point system.
The NFL had a 7-9 team make the playoffs and a 10-6 team missed. There is not perfect system. Someone is always gonna think they got screwed. If it were me I would use the Simmons Ratings. He seems to be pretty dialed in but even then you will have plenty of problems.

I still think of Western Harnett finishing second in their with a 8-2 record in the 80s when they had a young Eric Swann playing for them. Northern Nash finishing second in its conference in the 90s with a 9-1 mark also comes to mind.

I still think of Western Harnett finishing second in their with a 8-2 record in the 80s when they had a young Eric Swann playing for them. Northern Nash finishing second in its conference in the 90s with a 9-1 mark also comes to mind.
Concord went 9-1 in 1995 and missed out too!

Reactions: 84k
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT